Is it possible to throw a bullet up in the air, hit it with a hammer, and make it fire?

Let's say you have a few cartridges, like anything centerfire or rimfire, and you throw them in the air, and with a hammer or similarly hard device, hit it real hard on or near the rim/primer area, would it go off?

My guess is yes if you manage to hit it correctly, so then the question is, who has tried it?

Attached: oxets.jpg (472x382, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8ad9e0mO8Q4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, as the cartridge isn't being held in place to absorb the impact of the hammer, I would reckon you would just be playing the world's most retarded game of baseball.

Granted, I didn't go to school for this sorta shit so I could be wrong.

Are you under the false assumption that the projectile would separate from the case and travel any distance and not grenade?

>I would reckon you would just be playing the world's most retarded game of baseball.
Yeah, but that would be no less true whether or not the primer went off.

I would say it's almost impossible, but you can throw a rimfire down on a hard surface and get it to discharge. Me and a bud came back from a innawoods .22 session, and as we were talking in the street in front of his house, he found a .22LR in his pocket. He slammed it down in the sidewalk 3-4 times, and finally got it to go off; it made a "pop" rather than a bang, and the bullet made a whizzing sound as it went by my head. I called him an asshole, and he apologized while laughing the whole time.

Impact will set off a rimfire, but it's not recommended unless you want to risk a rip across your face.

It'll barely go anywhere being since it's not in the confines of a barrel

>It'll barely go anywhere being since it's not in the confines of a barrel

Bullshit, it'll tumble, but it will go a good distance.

The bullet will more or less stay in the same place, but the case around it will fly apart.

>The bullet will more or less stay in the same place, but the case around it will fly apart.

kek, retard.

>the bullet made a whizzing sound as it went by my head
No guns liar.
youtube.com/watch?v=8ad9e0mO8Q4

Take a basic physics class you fucking retard.

>No guns liar.
I was there you fucking cunt. Go try it yourself, retard,

Sounds like the noguns kiddie faggots are using all the knowledge they gained playing vidya are in town.

Go try it, faggots, if you even have a single round of .22.

Kek.

Attached: REIC1pT.png (880x832, 726K)

I have genius, please tell me how the .22 round gained enough pressure in the direction of your head to fly through the air. You were either mistaken about what that whizzing was or you are a liar, a charlatan and a fraud sir.

Attached: 19619984.jpg (400x399, 22K)

>I have genius, please tell me how the .22 round gained enough pressure in the direction of your head to fly through the air. You were either mistaken about what that whizzing was or you are a liar, a charlatan and a fraud sir.

You don't know how bullets work, retard. If you have a sigle fucking bullet to your name, hit the primer with a nail and a hammer and report back, you fucking fool.

wow, you're fucking stupid. heard of equal and opposite reaction?

Does anyone know why the technical competency level of the average Jow Forums poster has fallen to grade school levels? I've noticed for the past year or so that it was on the decline. Now it feels like 80% are incompetent newfag know-it-alls.

lol, here's a real rocket scientist

So tell everyone what happens when a cartridge discharges when it it's not in a barrel, good sir. Lets see just how smart you are.

I'm not the idiot you're arguing with, but in a barrel or not, a cartridge will pretty much work the same way with far less efficiency. With a primer strike, the propellant will turn violently into a gas and the casing and bullet will separate. In a gun, the casing will be held in place until ejection, and the shooter will feel a kick, the bullet will be spun down the barrel. With no barrel, the bullet and case will separate in opposite directions at a high rate of speed.

Bullets are only propelled at high speeds because they are propelled in a direction by pressure built up in the barrel. Now remove the barrel from the situation. I call bullshit (based on my own personal experience) on the notion that a .22 detonated outside a firearm would act like one fired inside of and directed by a chamber/barrel. is correct in that it would merely grenade and behave like pic related with the projectile being largely unaffected and if anything flung harmlessly at a minuscule velocity (not enough to "whiz" through the air).

Attached: download (1).jpg (500x350, 136K)

I'm going to say it is theoretically possible but astronomically unlikely. If you have a pointy hammer and hit exactly on the primer it MIGHT transfer enough energy but I really doubt it even under perfect circumstances. Primers are pretty stable. Maybe with a really old round or a defect it could happen, that's about all I could see.

>high rate of speed.
Yeah, no.
IT will only build pressure until the bullet pops out of the casing. Usually less than 200 psi can do this. Since primers generate up to 5,000 psi in some cases you don't even need the powder to burn to lose the bullet.
Powder also burns best when confined and pressurised, especially rifle powders. Without the chamber and bore to provide confinement you will be lucky to have the powder fully burn even if it does ignite.
SAAMI did a whole video and destroyed a few million rounds testing various scenarios and concluded no risk from unconfined ammo.

The case ruptures when unsupported obviously. It does obey Newton's laws of motion, but I'd estimate it only develops 5% of the chemical potential energy into KE. The momentum is split between the case and the bullet so their velocities are (based on relative masses) usually higher in the case.

You only have a vague idea of how things work. Tell the truth: You're some little kid who's knowledge comes only from videogames and what your tweener friends tell you, right?

(you)

>Powder also burns best when confined and pressurised,
Like in a cartridge. Fucking moron.