You've probably all seen this scene, would this be possible in reality? If so, is it in any of the field manuals?

You've probably all seen this scene, would this be possible in reality? If so, is it in any of the field manuals?

Attached: 51243.jpg (598x324, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wearethemighty.com/articles/yes-world-war-ii-soldiers-could-throw-mortar-rounds-like-grenades
youtu.be/V6vjYq4a5r4?t=10
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauford_T._Anderson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_E._Kelly_(soldier)
youtube.com/watch?v=q8TTRmpJL90
youtube.com/watch?v=ITg2QhcSlqs
youtube.com/watch?v=jghmfhDDxTE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You'd almost certainly blow yourself attempting this.

The fuses have several safeties.
During firing the main safety is released from the acceleration of the round, this can be simulated by a hard enough impact. This will release the bore rider safety pin if equipped and also allow the fuze to fire on impact.

don't these mortars have a kill range how come the two boys were okay when the mortars exploded so close to them

The path of the shrapnel is difficult to predict and it's not always consistent. It's possible that someone very close by was missed entirely, while someone a hundred feet away might get hit with a one-in-a-million chance. Apparently WWII and earlier ordnance was infamous for that. Same with hand grenades...those pineapple shaped grenades don't break into nice square pieces the way we think they would based on how they look.

I keep waiting for you to say "away."

Attached: d8k3uh27ra7z.png (1378x718, 1000K)

Supposedly it is based on reality
wearethemighty.com/articles/yes-world-war-ii-soldiers-could-throw-mortar-rounds-like-grenades

True. Cracks start from the inside of the case, which is smooth. The pattern just is for grip.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (500x377, 134K)

interesting, but why are posting this

If mortars could be that easily detonated I believe transporting them would've been a little tricky.

just make a safety cap, like rpg rockets have them. i don't know it, but i'm almost sure they do have something like that

the detonators are not attached to the mortar rounds when transported, there is also a safety cap on the head and there is also a safety pin

*both need to be removed for detonation to happen

You would certainly maim yourself
The primer on a mortar round ignites the propellant charge, not the main explosive. So you'll be holding an uncontained but relatively slow explosion. It won't blow you to pieces, but you'll suffer bad burns at the very best

That said, you could not throw a mortar shell far enough to be safe from the blast. The kill radius of a 60mm is almost 30 meters

>you could not throw a mortar shell far enough to be safe from the blast without cover*

Closest i ever been to a mortar impact was about 15m. Heard the whistling, hit the ground, nothing happened. I don't know if that round was soviet ordinance or something homemade, either way i believe you could throw a mortar round without hitting yourself.

You people are fucking stupid. There is no expelling charge or primer. The sole purpose of this is to arm the point detonating fuse. Lots of ordnance requires a G force to remove safeties.

don't you have to manualy add the charge ? i remember on current mortar you have different charge you need to use depending on the distance between you and the target

Enjoy your concussion

bullshit, they're not really louder than a grenade

maralyn manson could already blow himself, and he didnt need to slam mortar rounds againts rocks.

Attached: DC81C7A5-C7E3-4023-9CE6-BB91985A871C.jpg (720x1051, 72K)

Lol

Attached: 1550056549378.gif (360x270, 1.63M)

Fucking this. Neverserveds need to get off my board RIGHT NOW

This is a weapons board, not a military board. Are you retarded or something?

The kill radius of a grenade is also shorter than anyone can throw one. That's why you duck behind cover!

Mortars don't explode into a million perfectly spaced and lethal fragments every single time. Life is not a video game. There's a reason they fire off as many mortars as possible until they have to move location

Everyone point and laugh at the proud neverserved baby

Attached: dont-think-about.jpg (1280x719, 125K)

post your guns :^)

i served but i don't own any guns, i'm not an american.

The hole gets deeper and deeper...

You've probably pissed him off enough that he's going to purposely troll in league of legends for an hour to burn off steam

Salvation Army doesnt count.

Ukrainian army 2014-2016, i've seen more combat than you could probably ever dream of as a burger

>while someone a hundred feet away might get hit with a one-in-a-million chance
Reminds me of that video of the incredibly unlucky Marine: youtu.be/V6vjYq4a5r4?t=10

I mean, that was a sailor technically. But yeah, that fucking sucks. Especially since he was their med guy.

haven't seen this in years, that's the kind of shit that brings back memories and triggers my ptsd

Like 99% of shrapnel is tiny, usually its whats left of the grip and fuse thats deadly far away, maybe as far as 150m or so

At first I thought that they should probably be on their stomachs to take cover, but dude would be dead as a rock if he had

seriously? most shrapnel i've seen is at least 3-5cm, you sure you're not talking about ricochet? and 150m is an insane number either way

gotta correct myself, i was talking about mortar shrapnel. i can't say much about grenade shrapnel, never saw any actually. which supports your 99% theory. 150m still sounds like an insane number ho

>Look it up
>Marine corps(kek, pun not intended)men are Navy personnel
o shit today I learned

Yeah. They don't trust us enough to handle our own medical needs.

Greentext?

i don't know, never actually took part in great battles, but a shitload of small skirmishes. most thread related would be

Do it anyway, Stalker.

no, it's really not anything more than digging trenches, foxholes and dugouts the whole day, and then spending 24h/7d in those. every few day, sometimes every night, we would shoot at each other like crazy, and we would receive/deliver indirect fire with all kinds of artillery. most exciting thing i've ever seen was a Hind attack on a neighboring position/village, for me clear proof that it wasn't "pro-russian insurgents", but literally the russian army on the other side. i was so fortunate to never been send on an attack. I've seen accounts of people on YT, and heard stories, of units that have been send on an attack on an enemy position without even being really told what the fuck they were up to. I finished my service and i'm fine with it.

Did anything change during your service in terms of positions? Any retreat or advance?
And when you were shooting, was there a task or a goal or were you simply defending yourself?
How was your training? How long?
>Swiss guy here, Fusilier

Attached: DSC_0506.jpg (3840x2160, 2.39M)

Attached: 1550975559485.jpg (1568x2100, 632K)

>I was ok when something I'm even admitting was probably non-functional was being used
>yeah you'd probably be fine throwing a real mortar that way

You are impressively stupid

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

HAHHHAHHAHAHAHAHA NO YOU DIDN'T
Proof or gtfo. You don't even know how mortars work

>would this be possible in reality?

Yes!

> If so, is it in any of the field manuals?

HELL no!

what kinds of proof? are you retarded or something? i didn't even post in this thread before the weapons board response

yes, a lot, but i was never involved. we were just put in new positions and told to dig trenches every few weeks, and a few times we had to provide fire support for the units that were actually attacking. training was 3 months of basics, like regularly. apart from that it was literally just what i posted, dig trenches, man trenches, shoot at other trenches, duck and cover when under artillery fire. for almost two years, with one weekend every month free to travel home by bus.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauford_T._Anderson
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_E._Kelly_(soldier)

Liar doesn't even have a single photo, lmao
I was in the Green Berets and have over 300 confirmed kills. Just trust me dude

i appreciate that you think my service in my country's army equals having 300 kills as a green beret, thank you user. and fuck you, i don't have to proof shit to anyone. i didn't even come up with this shit until you basically forced me to.

>There's a reason they fire off as many mortars as possible until they have to move location

yeah, and the reason is because the rounds themselves (and their launcher) are not perfectly accurate. it has nothing to do with the way they fragment. you're confusing two unrelated things.

the only reason of course is that hitting the enemy with many booms in a row is better than just hitting them with one. even if the rounds were perfectly accurate you still wouldn't stop at 1. a mortar round is not very powerful, you can't actually do that much damage with just one.

*the other reason of course

>It should be noted that even though He had a problem with alcohol, his story and legacy have helped many many people achieve recovery
based inspiring drunkard

Thanks for posting anyway.

Attached: IMG_20140120_225121.jpg (3264x2448, 2.66M)

*cough cough liar cough*
Liar liar, pants on fire

Did he died? The guy nest to him said right at the end that there was no bleeding, did his plate stop it but the force imparted by the shrapnel knocked the shit out of him?

>i didn't even come up with this shit until you basically forced me to.
Did you just admit to lying or is your english just that bad, troglodyte?

>Where's the corpsman?
>He is the corpsman
>tfw your medic is the first casualty

Attached: 1552766607096s.jpg (125x121, 2K)

Like WW1 trench warfare

i'm really not sure what you mean user, but i assume it must be my bad english

yes, that association came up in a lot of talks. you'd assume warfare in 2014 to be different, but that was exactly what it felt like

oh, now i see what you meant. yes, it was my bad english.

FUCK no.

Minimum safe distance RED (10 PI):
60mm = 65m
81mm = 80m
120mm = 100m

This means at this distance there will be 10% injury to friendly forces.

Alright, now that thats out of the way, where is the proof you did anything you claim

there is no proof, and i won't go so far too dig up some stupid old pictures of my service that only look like random slavs to you and won't count as proof anyways. i also won't search for old documents, connect my phone to my laptop, and post some timestamp of things you wouldn't be able to read anyways. and i didn't even post anything about anything i allegedly have "done", what i did was basically what literally everyone did who was conscripted to the ukrainian armed forces since 2014. believe it or not, i don't give a shit. if i wanted to brag, i would make up stories of me being one of the cyborgs who fought for Donetsk airport or something, but i wasn't. think what you want.

Liar, you're so full of shit lol
>but I don't care what you think
>so I better keep writing essay responses to show you how much I don't care
Liar

>6 small sentences
>essay
wat

weren't they in a crater though? will that offer them protection?

Keep replying to show me how much you don't care

Dude it's not like it's impossible for a guy like him to be here

There are Jow Forumsommandos who have fought with the Jow Forumsurds as well.

ok

Kek

Attached: 1515726837939.jpg (436x416, 59K)

Then theres the shockwave and the explosion itself.

Why would I? To young for gulf 1, had a life by gulf 2. Wars are for professionals and dumb kids.

From shrapnel yes, but the degree of overpressure from having a 60mm detonate within 20m of you(and that's a generous distance, I dont think they were flinging those things that far) is going to either knock you out or disorient you to the point that you couldn't function anymore. There is a reason why soldiers are only allowed to fire x amount of mortars in 24 hours, same thing with manPADs.

>marine, adjective: of, found in, or produced by the sea
how was it not obvious

He was referring to Corpsmen. Not Marines in general.

I don't think you need to have served to understand how mortars work

Attached: yZDfaz3.gif (346x195, 1.29M)

cause it's interesting and directly related to the conversation, why the fuck are you posting this?

Hey fags there was a medal of honor winner in invasion of Italy lobbed mortar rounds out tha window and killed a fuck ton look that shit up dumb philistines

thank you for your service

Attached: 1552615948075.png (414x419, 286K)

The scene in question (Saving Private Ryan):
youtube.com/watch?v=q8TTRmpJL90

Short video about this exact scene:
youtube.com/watch?v=ITg2QhcSlqs

Scene in Call of Duty 5: World at War
youtube.com/watch?v=jghmfhDDxTE

thanks for bootlicking the gumbint for me!

That isn't a ww2 era grenade.

Someone fucked up, they weren't under fire so should have had no problem falling back. Either the SL was retarded for staying there or the arty boys forgot to carry the 1.

i don't know user

looks more like a situation you'd be safe in 90% of times, he was really fucking unlucky.

>From shrapnel yes, but the degree of overpressure from having a 60mm detonate within 20m of you

Overpressure reflects off of terrain it does not hug it. If they are lying down in a crater the over pressure will in fact be greatly reflected over them instead of into them. The only way they would be hit by full overpressure would be from an air burst. When we do danger close demo detonations we use a blast blanket to shelter us from blast overpressure. The Blast blanket is Little more than a few sheets of thick heavy canvas and maybe a sheet of Kevlar. This blanket measures 6 feet long and barely 3 feet wide and is just draped in front of a fireteam stacked up nut to butt. I have been less than 20 feet away from 10 pounds of C4 going off being sheltered by nothing but this blanket and not only did I not die I was none the worse for wear. 10 pounds of c4 is a hell of a lot more ordinance than a single mortar anda crater is a hell of a lot more buffer than a blast blanket.

Everyone point and laugh at the ZOGbot

Serving for Israel.
Good goy.

Attached: mmm.webm (352x640, 466K)