Prior service combat veteran looking for a universal weapon for fighting and hunting

Prior service combat veteran looking for a universal weapon for fighting and hunting.

Already ruled out 5.56 and 223, as its a bitch round used for attrition vs combat.

I've decided on a .308 round. But what I don't know is the Pros and Cons of the weapon system that I want.

I'm looking at either getting a Springfield Scout /SOCOM or M16/M4 model for the caliber.

>I know how to disassemble and repair a M16/M4 weapon but have 0 knowlege and experience with a Springfield model for .308

Would I be better of learning the model of springfield or sticking with the M16/M4 model?

Attached: AA9120_2.jpg (2100x443, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

armalite.com/product/def10-defensive-sporting-rifle/
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-classic-rifle.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

More specifically

Should I get a S&W MP 10 Sport .308

or a

Springfield SOCOM .308

Smith & Wesson M&P 10 Sport Optics ready.

MP 10 Sport. High value firearm for the price, lighter and afaik, decent warranty. Savage AR10 is also supposed to be pretty good.
The Socom is kinda meh, I'd say go with a full M1A if you were really into it, but the AR10 is definitely better than the SOCOM .308, do some reading, it's kind of a finnicky piece.

Thank you for defending my freedom. When I rest my head on my pillow at night I know I have that pillow because of your sacrifices.

If you are dead set on .308, I'd get some kind of AR10 over the M1A/M14. I don't have any thoughts on the S&W you listed, but I would definitely stick with the AR for weight savings alone. The Springfield is a pig.

>crayon eater
>springfield

Attached: 1507724886966.jpg (377x351, 24K)

m14 sucks
get an ar10 of some kind,
mp10 like others have suggested
or an LMT if you're not a poorfag

There's a whole thread for battle rifles already. Also M14 M1A a shit

I have both, get the AR

Faggot boomer overlooking one of the best calibers ever created

Whatever you get make sure the first thing you shoot is your head

Consider a PTR or FAL too

Based on the low iq and lack of basic familiarity with guns, I can't decide if you're an underaged noguns or you were actually in the military

>Already ruled out 5.56 and 223, as its a bitch round used for attrition vs combat
I came here just to call you a retard.
but in the intent of the thread, lmt or bust

>5.56 and 223

Alright Elmer, get the fudd out

Armalite AR-10, Springfield M1A, DSA Voyager, PTR 91...you have many good options.

AR-10 will hold up the best in inclement conditions (keeping dirt/mud/debris out of the action). M14 and FAL-type rifles don't work well when they get dirty, G3-types hold up a little better, but they're still susceptible to contamination failure. Galil/AK and AR-types will hold up best, I'm not sure about ACR-types, though; but they're expensive anyway. .308 Galil's and other AK-type .308's are rare and as such are usually a bit pricier. Your best bet for a reliably-running rifle for the price would be the AR-10. As for the Galil in .308, Classicfirearms did have a special on blemished Galil Aces for $1000 in December, but they sold out quickly. Occasionally they get something; The Galils are good reliable Jew guns, if that's your thing; normal retail is around $1800, though. Not sure what your budget is. AR-10's can be had for under $1000 from various manufacturers. Cheapest semi .308 is probably going to be the Century Arms C308, which is a Spanish CETME on a PTR receiver (G3-type).

armalite.com/product/def10-defensive-sporting-rifle/

I have a Springfield scout which I've done a lot of work on improving and accurizing. I love that rifle. Really pleasant to shoot, reliable as hell, great sights, nice looking, and very high potential for accuracy for a piston gun. Great gun for marksmanship, hunting. But for fighting? You will probably want an AR. Ergos better for CQB, and the straight line recoil will help you stay on target for follow up shots better. Not that the latter can't be done with the M14, especially with a good muzzle break to counteract the rise. It's just a platform that requires more work and fine tuning to get top-notch performance.

>Boomer
>The guy used a M4 during his service

I swear to god everything that this fucking imageboard comes up with ends up being turned into a meaningless buzzword by you dorks to use against anyone they disagree with, regardless of its original meaning. I honestly can't fathom how some of you have the necessary mental capabilities to even handle a gun without braining yourselves.

You can build 18" M1As under 8 lbs. The metal buttplate is the killer. This guy doesn't sound like he'll be screwing with the stock though.

the red neck answer is the .30-30 lever action.

the only reason for a .308 is if you live in the planes.

He's probably actually army, most of the people i work with barely know anything about their service rifle.

Wrong, im inna woods but still have 400 yard shots near farm fields
Ar 10 or scar are the only answers. M&p10 is nice cheap option
M14s are heavy, expensive, and not the best platform for accuracy but you can pay alot and get 1moa

>I know how to disassemble and repair a M16/M4 weapon
Since you are already familiar with the M16/M4, consider building an AR-10. Building allows you to create a rifle that fits your own specific needs.

As someone who owns/loves the M1A and has had bad experiences with the AR-10 (CMMG MK3), I still recommend the AR-10. The one I had was of poor quality and the availability/quality of AR-10s has since increased substantially. As far as I know the M&P10 is a fine example, although I am not familiar with their Sport series. I am familiar with Wyndham's AR-10 (SRC-308) having shot one a few times and I think that model is worth consideration too.

The M1A is a good rifle in it's own right, but is simply not as modern or capable as an AR-10. It is worth it if you live in California, or if you simply like the layout and aesthetics enough to accept 50s era accuracy and slower reloads.
It's a fine rifle, but unless you particularly like it (and you're more familiar with ARs), or live in California there is no reason to buy one with better options available for less.
M14s aren't as bad as people say they are. I'd put them roughly on par or even a little better (at least in a take/give sense) than the FAL. Still functional, but with downsides that newer designs (AR10/SCAR for instance) don't have. PTR is a particularly interesting option, as it is cheap, rock solid and potentially quite accurate but held back by extremely poor ergonomics (which are fixable to an extent).

>doesnt understand boomer meme
it's not actual boomers, you know?

Go to psa and get a 308 ar

Here you go

palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-classic-rifle.html

DPMS - several good options in .308

>universal weapon for fighting and hunting
unironically get a lever gun. or maybe a PSAK and a bunch of spam can chinese ammo from the 80s.

Spend your GI Bill bucks on a FALKOR Petra.

Attached: falkor_petra.jpg (640x640, 91K)

338LM? woww what an magazine

.300 win mag

>M14s are heavy, expensive, and not the best platform for accuracy but you can pay alot and get 1moa

That's not the biggest downfall of the M14. Get dirt/dust on top of a Garand-action (M1, Mini 14, BM-59, M14, M1 Carbine) and the things is having failures to eject, load, et cetera. (for what it's worth, FAL's die pretty easily too if you get them dirty) You need to keep them as clean as possible. This is a lot less of a problem with an AR-platform given the nature of how it operates as well as its dust cover. AK platforms are a bit more susceptible to dirt, but they're more easily remediated then the classic NATO battle rifles. (which is why the Israelis dumped the FAL in favor of the Galil)

Don't get the socom. Get the scout if you go the M1A route. If I had the chance to tell idiot me years ago to not get the M1A, I would have done it in a heartbeat.

bootlicker

>chairforce/reservecuck LARPing as SOF
>7.62x51mm ONLY
Like poetry. What was your MOS, welfare queen? Toilet scrubber? Officer cum releaser?

>I have that pillow because some grunt shot a bunch of goat fuckers and civvies on the other side of the world

>combat

>Petra
Don't remind me, she was best girl. RIP

How does Israel's cock taste?

>prior service combat veteran
>needs help with selecting firearms
POG that got award a CAB for being within 300 yards of an explosion detected

Attached: IMG_8624.png (750x1334, 765K)

How do I sign up for welfare queen?
Is it related to bench queen?

Oh it's easy.
Step 1: be white trash or a room-temperature IQ minority
Step 2: do literally nothing for 4 years
$tep 3: sit on your ass the entire rest of your life collecting free taxpayer money and making retarded threads on Jow Forums
Step 4: commit suicide or overdose because of fake PTSD because one time some farmer with an AK shot in your general direction from 900m away from the hip