Ever since I watched Generation Kill years ago, for some reason it made a lifelong influence on me...

Ever since I watched Generation Kill years ago, for some reason it made a lifelong influence on me, and as a result I have NEVER allowed my moostache hairs to extend beyond the corner of my mouth. Anyone else can relate or is it just me??

Attached: moostachehairsinviolation.png (1265x673, 883K)

No because I dont listen to kiddy fiddlers.

is there a snco that isnt a fuckup?

Sometimes. But only sometimes.

I subscribe to to the Elvises . Fuck your cunt moostache.

My silver oak clusters say I can do whatever the fuck I want.

Hitler stash is reg

In the book, it's specified that Pappy's mustache was within Marine Corps regulations, but outside of the "Grooming Standards" that Sixta enforced. Before becoming CO of 1st recon, Godfather was CO of the marine corps parade ground in Quantico, and had higher standard for the appearance of his marines.

>had higher standard for the appearance of his marines
Is this even allowed? Feels pretty tyrannical and pointless. Seems bad for morale and discipline to me.

Really takes me back...and nah, the most popular 'stache in the Corps when I was in was the Det-stache, which was rarely confined by the corners of your mouth, especially if you pulled on Night Crew or were a cunt-hair away from EAS.

Attached: 1240706306610.jpg (750x600, 97K)

My CSM was in an Army of One commercial back in the day, can't be that much of a fuck up.

Attached: IMG_1301.jpg (224x196, 16K)

75% of the grooming standard depicted was for morale and discipline. the fact that it was something inconsequentially stupid was the point, it was a known bs move and it served to distract from the clusterfuck of encino man, captain america, and Fick's bs (court marshal?) so the marines under their command didnt mutiny

Corps mandates that haircuts must be once per pay period (2 weeks), most commands mandate that it must be once a week per command discretion. Command can override regs to maintain standards, my dude. You can fight it, but you're basically chewing your leg off to get out of a foam-padded bear trap that lets go by itself if you don't struggle.

That was the affect it had on you? That's why you made this thread?

I got that Sixta wanted to distract them (he had one line in which he basically admitted to it), I don't get what's the point of doing that shit on the parade ground in Quantico. Surely arbitrary usage of discipline is counterproductive? Altering corps standards without an objective need seems to me like a direct attack to the standards themselves.

If your American, think of it like state laws versus federal laws. They can add to regulation and choose not to enforce big Army/Marine regulation, but you'd still be in the wrong if someone from another unit caught you doing whatever it is.

>arbitrary usage of discipline
This is what the entire American military (and I'd imagine many foreign militaries as well) is based on. The idea is that if I can't trust you to police a moosestache, how can I trust you to be an effective 249 gunner? etc. It definitely serves a purpose, but it's just a matter of where to draw the line.

>Feels pretty tyrannical and pointless.
Welcome to the military

1% of them.

>The idea is that if I can't trust you to police a moosestache, how can I trust you to be an effective 249 gunner?
But in practice "tighter" grooming standards are merely "different" grooming standards. They don't reflect greater discipline, just a different point of your face where you start to cut your beard.
I'd get if the officer decided youth hostel cleanliness wasn't enough of a standard for his barracks and imposed 5 stars hotel cleanliness. But going from one beardstyle to another feels like the officer doesn't know what the fuck he's doing but he feels he has to do something regardless.
I mean I'm sure I must be missing a point here, because otherwise it means that he did.

You lack discipline. The fact that you're arguing, on the internet, about MUSTACHE GROOMING STANDARDS BEING TOO RESTRICTIVE AND WITHOUT PURPOSE when they only serve a handful of purposes: sanitary conditions (cut short) and order and discipline (maintained within specific accord and detail). It is, in fact, the exact same as imposing specific cleanliness in the barracks. Your commander tells you to do it (within the limits that it is a lawful order) and you fucking do it without hesitation, because like said, if you argue semantics over upper-lip hairs, I can't trust you to react by muscle-memory and training alone when rounds are coming down range, now can I?

>You lack discipline. The fact that you're arguing, on the internet
You're retarded. You'd have a point if I was arguing, in the military, with my CO. On the internet, to you, it means fucking nothing.
And honestly, did you even read my post? I was wondering what was the point in changing the grooming standard, effectively, from a beardstyle to another. I wasn't arguing the presence of a grooming standard, only the point in shifting it without purpose.
The corps' standard is already there, so there goes order and discipline. It enforces short hair, so there goes cleanliness.
The officer's standard doesn't improve cleanliness, so it has no practical value. It doesn't add anything to discipline and order because it's the exact same fucking effort as the corps' standard. So it's arbitrary and pointless. It would have made more sense if he had imposed no facial hair at all, because that would have been an increment on the standard, not just a variation.
>if you argue semantics over upper-lip hairs, I can't trust you to react by muscle-memory and training alone when rounds are coming down range, now can I?
Ah, so the issue is what my behaviour implies. But it goes both ways: if an officer fails to see the point of the rules he changes, it makes me doubt his leadership. If I can't trust my leadership, order and discipline go out of the window anyway.
I can see the point of imposing rules to improve order and discipline, I do. But the choice of what to impose has implications, which will be seen and interpretated by the people who have to follow said rules, and will greatly impact how they're followed, and consequently order and discipline.

Attached: 8fbd03bcbeadc19d5db044fcf9d52849668d66a9[1].jpg (700x391, 14K)

Since Generation Kill I'm fluid in over 20 Avril Lavigne songs...

Attached: we-were-soldiers.jpg (640x361, 44K)

Teenage dirt bag got me. The "soundtrack" is just another element that makes this series so great.

No, you're missing the point. The fact that you're trying to puzzle out the logic of his order, when it's lawful, rather than just accepting it is the whole problem. Trust me, if you have a commander that's imposing more-stringent grooming standards for no reason other than he feels that it's good for order and THAT'S the order that makes you question his leadership? You're the one that shouldn't be there, not him. If you take issue with it, then you can discuss it with him 1-on-1 or address your immediate superior who can then take it up with him. You CAN question the logic, but you fucking obey until he says otherwise. It's a mustache-grooming order, not a go-kill-women-and-children-because-I-said-so order. You can sit there and wax philosophic all you want, but again, the fact that you have to question it means that you're either missing the point, or unfit for duty. Take it from someone who served; all superiors have their weird little quirks and bullshit, some moreso than others. Think of it as their personal "charm". That doesn't mean that you sit there all day telling them that you aren't gonna tuck the corners of your rack the way they want you to because 'it doesn't serve a purpose".

Daily reminder that the real sergeant major sixta was arrested for diddling kids

>You CAN question the logic
Thus invaliding everything else you've posted, since it's all I'm doing and I never proposed disobeying the order. So much for me being the one missing the point.
>THAT'S the order that makes you question his leadership?
It's the principle of things, and little things add up anyway. Just like the argument where you can't trust someone to obey orders under fire if they can't follow instructions in the barracks, you can't really trust somebody to give good orders under fire if they can't in the barracks.
This is a very small thing, of course. But all I was asking was whether it's just a small bad thing like I perceived it to be, or a small good thing whose point I'm failing to see. I'm pretty sure it's bad, given how you've started to talk about "quirks" and "charm" to defend it.
>The fact that you're trying to puzzle out the logic of his order, when it's lawful, rather than just accepting it is the whole problem.
Obeying an order and puzzling it out are in no way incompatible, and if you think the average person (regardless of military or civilian) doesn't try to puzzle out the whys and hows of what's going on in their life you're delusional.
>Take it from someone who served
Did you find Generation Kill unrealistic? Because shit officers giving shit orders there certainly seemed to have a bad effect on discipline and morale. They were lawful orders, yet that didn't stop the troops from noticing their bullshit nature. That kinda proves my points.

Anyone know where I can watch Generation Kill, BOB, and The Pacific?
Theyre not on Netflix anymore

HBO GO and Prime Video

If you don't minf low res:
www1 swatchseries to/serie/generation_kill

They’re all HBO shows, user. You can get their Netflix equivalent if you’re fine with giving up your shekels

Thanks brother
No

Cunts used to have hair? That's some old corps shit

>seargany major
not surprising

Attached: 1542279185617.gif (400x226, 927K)

It's terrifying how book/real Encino Man is even more retarded than the show version. Wright also talked (sadly not in detail) that there were more outlandish escapades from Captain America that he wasn't allowed to put in the book. I'm still surprised how much crazy stuff made it in the book without the military throwing a fit.

>Seems bad for morale and discipline to me.

It's actually great for morale. Marines aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. When the Marines have a common enemy to bitch about (the sgtmaj) it unites them in a weird way. During combat deployments the stress levels are extremely high. This may end up with tensions between the men which may end up in personal feuds which jeopardizes the trust and combat effectiveness. To fight this usually a senior enlisted tends to act this way to give the unit something to direct their anger towards. So instead of hating on each other, they relieve their stress and anger on this specific person. This was summed up succinctly by Pappy when he said "We all have jobs to do, Sgt. Maj. Sixta's job is to be an asshole". Also at the end of the series Sixta tells Godfather "Let me know if the morale drops too low, I'll hit em with the groomin standards" with a wry smirk on his face.

Pretty sure that Encino Man and Captain America were just intel officers strapped on a desk before being forced into infantry officer roles while Nate Fick saw action in Afganistan hence why he wasn't bullied by Brad, Ray, the racist spic and his Gunnery Sergeant.

One dynamic I did not get was how Encino Man's Gunny was a total suck up even if he knew that he's a useless dick. At least Captain America's sergeant told him to fuck off with the enemy AKs and did not even complain about his panicky antics, just the enemy AKs he was hoarding.

go lose your virginity you fucking cliche, make some friends, you ain't shit at this point in your life, you have a long way to go before you're of worth

I like that show too but building your identity around it is autistic

>During combat deployments
The post referred to marines in Quantico tho, not on combat deployment.

why dont you just join the corps so that you have an excuse for your autism instead of playing mke pretend

The fact that it "violates lawgic" is the whole point. The chain of command is imposing their will on you to make you do something sort of retarded (although note, not in any way dangerous).

If they can force you to maintain a silly mustache standard in a fucking warzone even if you bitch about it, they can force you to move forward under fire. This isn't the ONLY way to go about things, but it actually does work.

Marine Ground Intelligence officers have to complete the Infantry Officer's Course. Now, an important part of a company commander's personal toolkit is his experience from being a platoon commander, and those guys wouldn't have that, at least in an infantry platoon. But they're not just some desk jockey either. You wouldn't expect a freshly trained lieutenant to perform as well as a more experienced officer in company command, but you could expect him not to be a total retard either -- especially with tactics.

With the Recon captains in GK, I would bet almost anything that they were selected almost entirely on the basis of physical fitness and admin ability, in that order.

>I did not get was how Encino Man's Gunny was a total suck up even if he knew that he's a useless dick.

He was a suck up because he knew that he (and his commander) were useless dicks. Encino Man writes his evaluation: if everybody Encino Man talks to reminds him he's a fuckup except his gunny, guess who gets the glowing comments on his eval? Das rite.

FOLLOW MY TRACERS
Who was the bigger retard, Encimo Man or Captain America?

Attached: 1553708406271.jpg (3008x1960, 2.19M)

You probably already have amazon prime so watch them there

Encino came out as the dumber one, but captain america was clearly the worse officer.

Anyone read the book? I bought it and read the first 3 chapters on a plane, but then I accidentally left it in the seatback pocket when I left.

Yes nigger

Attached: Yes nigger.png (1878x935, 771K)

Where would the best place to put a tank round in that statue be, if you wanted to bring it down?

It's really cool looking, why would you want to take it down?

probably wrists

I keked when he screamed at the major that his men are dying and told him to fuck off.

>i never had a dad so i take guidance from teevee
cool story bucko