How did they convince all these guys to run en masse toward certain death? Given, they were not USSR, Communist China...

How did they convince all these guys to run en masse toward certain death? Given, they were not USSR, Communist China, Norks, etc?

Attached: canadians-preparing-for-bayonet-charge-ww1-JX4X8G.jpg (1300x863, 232K)

It was better to run into no man’s land than face the anger of the officer’s if you refused.

"If you don't, we'll shoot you. Maybe you do it and live"
Simple case of hope.

Because no decent woman would ever let a coward fuck her hole.

>Running at people who are so skilled at operating a gatling gun they can space their bullets 1 inch apart
>"I'm no coward"
>"I'm just an idiot"

And they didn't even run, they fucking shuffled along politely because they're leafs.

It's not about what's true user
It's about what dumb holes *think* you did

It's never about what's true :(

Also could you tell me what a "dumb hole" is
That's still confusing me
I might be retarded but please help me out regardless

They had a nation worth dying for. Must have been nice.

Alternative was to get shot by a firing squad

Bigot

God holds all answers for you. Go ask him in person.

Besides, failing to march into certain death would be anti-semitic.

>Enlist and serve your country! War will be a grand adventure and you will win glory like your forefathers did!
>Our society will easily defeat theirs and allow our empire to rightfully rule with massive influence.
>Welcome to the front.
>Conditions here may be shitty, but I'm sure theirs are far worse.
>Listen to the inspiring speeches about how brave you all are.
>We've massed troops and our heavy guns have been continuously firing, their lines must be broken and their defenses shattered.
>Just imagine how low the enemy's morale is.
>One more good attack and we can push them back and put this war on the road to victory!
>Right, over the top!
>They all died?
>Huh, that was the fifth group this week. Ah well, another will arrive tomorrow. I'm sure we'll have better luck then.

Attached: 130702-bataille-somme-beaumont-hamel-642x428.jpg (642x428, 92K)

>They had a nation worth dying for. Must have been nice.
>canadians-preparing-for-bayonet-charge-ww1

France had a lot of mutinies because of that

Attached: 33E2644B-ECD5-4434-A7F7-B53A6D5387B2.gif (405x270, 2.89M)

Nationalism probably, don't want no kaizer to fuck my country

sauce on the gif? I feel like it's from Peace on Earth but not 100% sure.

The two World Wars destroyed a lot of good blood lines.

>WW1
>Gatling gun

Please at least glance through a wikipedia article before posting.

Firing squads

pretty sure that was the point

Fuck

Attached: A9B0F507-AAB2-49DE-963F-6284C9898FFF.png (640x493, 498K)

>what is a whiskey ration

In general, they didn't, and when such attacks occurred they were with fairly green forces, e.g. France and Germany in 1914, Britain once it got an actual army worthy of being called an army in 1916, and the US in 1918. The officers and men had in these armies been trained to believe in the power of offensive will and that battle was about morale more than weapons - which isn't totally wrong, but missed the point that weapons had advanced quite a bit since 1871.

After the initial failures, each army would quickly give up on unprotected infantry assaults. By the middle of the war, attacking trenches had largely been solved by both sides. Instead, the problem became how to hold what you had gained and to gain a breakthrough. Not the ability of an attack to win the initial push, but the ability to reinforce and resupply along with stopping the inevitable counterattack.

And hell, outside of desperate situations, the Soviets and Chinese didn't really use human waves. The Japanese did it, sure, but that was literally purposeful suicide attacks.

WW1 was Austria's response to forced multiculturalism.

>How did they convince all these guys to run en masse toward certain death?

Because they shot people for the sake of example and lined up everyone else to watch what happens.

Attached: Johnny E Feel.gif (645x773, 17K)

WW1 was when everything went to shit. Total disaster.

>How did they convince all these guys to run en masse toward certain death?

The really basic answer is that an officer walked in front and as long as he was alive and kept going, the guys behind him figured they could still make it.

Early in the war, it wasn't evident certain death was. Later, soldiers were encouraged to move by a combination of example and supporting fire from artillery.

Actual instances of literally everybody dying as they went over the top were pretty rare and localized, and when it did happen it usually meant that the attack stopped immediately as the men waiting to go up refused. If an attack failed it generally happened *in* no man's land, not immediately as the soldiers came out of the trench (again, with some exceptions).

It actually is

>What is Artillery?
The reason a platoon sergeant in an Artillery unit is called "Smoke" is because it was a knick name given to, usually an older solider, like a PSG, who was skilled enough to drop the smoke rounds immediately in front of the enemy trench to cover the advance. In the mean time they'd shoot regular shells at the enemy to keep them down while the friendlies covered the distance, then stop when they got close to the enemy trench. Then the enemy would only have a short time to get back into position before the charge was in their trenches.

Women don’t care if you’re a coward as long as you’re self serving

People back then probably didn't realize how low chances of survival were