So these rockets automatically explode after flying about 900 yards, how does this work...

So these rockets automatically explode after flying about 900 yards, how does this work? Sounds like something that would make an extremely simple design more complicated

Attached: RPG-960_640.jpg (960x640, 211K)

a fuse?

>a timed fuze is complicated

my god that's genius. and now i also know why i'm not a weapons engineer

Syrian Rebel found a way to bypass that and make the rocket fly farther.

yeah, i heard the same thing about the taliban. they use it for indirect fire, like a small piece of artillery.

Attached: Allah Aimbot.webm (480x360, 338K)

that's less than 900 yards. also i still don't believe that's real

that file name lmao

probbably some simple spring lever that closes when the fuel runs out

YOU'RE ALL RETARDED, IT'S A SIMPLE BURN THROUGH DELAY

WHEN THE BOOSTER MOTOR BURNS OUT IT IGNITES THE DETONATOR AT THE BASE OF THE WARHEAD

>I don't understand how this thing works, so therefore it must not work

It's just a timer that goes off after 4.5 seconds, which is the amount of time it takes for the warhead to travel about 900 meters.

why does it have that timer though ? I dont see the advantage of having a timer that limits your range....

>they use it for indirect fire, like a small piece of artillery.
That's fucking retarded.

Yes, but ask any Afghanistan vet you might know, it's common practice.

Because else it might just fly on and cross the globe, till it hits you in the ass. Necessary safety measure

Just remember, they spin INTO the wind

My guess is burn through like an Estes motor.

well, that makes sense

because just like every other projectile in the world, there is a certain distance at which it stops being accurate. and unlike most projectiles, this one is large enough to be fitted with a device that will blow it up after it exceeds that accurate range. there's no reason for you to be able to shoot it at something 2,000 meters away if you can't possibly hit it.

>syrian
No such rebel.

if it can fly that far, then it could possible hit it though, jiust not reliably....
Anyway, i think i understand what you mean.

>if it can fly that far, then it could possible hit it though

The possibility of hitting something with an RPG at 2,000 meters is something like 0.1%

So, sure, if you want to fire thousands of RPG's at a target at that distance, you will eventually hit it with one. Or you could get closer, or use a different weapon, rather than throwing away all of your RPG's in an attempt to hit something one time. Just because something is theoretically possible does not make it a good idea in practice.

i don't know, i've seen RPG-7s hit a few times, two times i visually remember pretty well. was more or less close, like 10m. there's no big explosion or something, they just punch a good hole in whatever they hit. in my case it was both stone, the kind of stone they make their houses from in the ME. wasn't really impressive, i expected more. didn't see the inside/other side tho. the device itself makes an incredible BANG as it's recoilless tho. i'd imagine if the speed would get less, the impact wouldn't be as effective as it is at 800m. i guess that's the reason for the timed fuse

consider this scenario:

>fire RPG at a target
>it misses or misfires or something
>advance towards the target
>oops, you stepped on the still-live RPG warhead and lost your leg

filling the part of the battlefield you wish to take with unexploded munitions is dangerous and stupid

>i'd imagine if the speed would get less, the impact wouldn't be as effective as it is at 800m.
An explosive warhead doesn't care about speed, especially a shaped charge one. A PG-7VM rocket from an RPG-7 will have the same armor penetration at 0 m/s as it does at 290 m/s. Depending on the specific warhead and explosive used, the tip of a shaped charge warhead will be moving at 7,000 to 14,000 m/s at impact with the target, so the initial 290 m/s from the rocket is essentially irrelevant.

EODfag
>how?
The sustainer motor burns through to a self-dsstruct element in the fuze. Simple.
>why?
1. Less UXO lying around the enemy position when your attack sweeps through
2. Can use the time/range effect to provide an airburst over a target or against Helos as in Afghan or Somalia

Attached: images (1).png (400x305, 10K)

Is that how they brought down the helos over Mogadishu? By using the self destruct on them?

No, they were direct hits.

i'm a 160hour RS2 vet in and that would be one hell of an RPG shot

>Enemy tanks hate him!
>Local rebel discovers one weird trick to extend RPG range!

RPGs aren't very accurate. Most groups that use them today try to get within 100 meters to guarantee a hit. They're really only decently accurate for hitting vehicles at sub-150m ranges. If you're firing at a building then you can have reasonable accuracy for a bit farther, but you should never be engaging at 900+ meters, hence the safety range.

Thank you for your service

RPG airbursting is a 3rd world life hack, not a design feature

Attached: 45206D77-26EB-41A3-95A3-AF53FB2555B4.jpg (500x666, 45K)

It is used to counter chain-link fence.
If you fire a RPG without timed fuse at a chain-link fence, the round will just stuck there without detonation.

Attached: rpg2_large.jpg (566x384, 98K)

bitch if you can't hit a helo then stay the FUCK off my RPG class

I can bitch, I'm just saying that destroying a helo at 800m by exploiting the timed fuse would be one hell of a shot

>RPG-7
>doing anything to modern tanks
You play too many video games.

There are a number of tandem HEAT warheads available that can defeat ERA blocks on modern tanks. Russian PG-7VT and PG-7VR, Egyptians have the Cobra, Iranians have one but I forget the name.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 189K)

The RPG-7 is just a launcher, retard, for modern tanks there are modern warheads.

Do the slav have anything similar to Javelin for anti armor duty? Or they just use the modernized version of RPG?

Their ATGMs are direct-fire, since they can't into top-attack for some reason.

Attached: 1535441958166.jpg (1894x1437, 593K)

Small propeller wingnut on the fuse. as the warhead flies it unscrews the wingnut off a threaded tube, when it comes completely off it pulls the final explosion pin.

Except the Russians do have precision top attack munition for artillery and 120mm mortars.

Attached: Malakhit.jpg (1200x900, 140K)

They still use MCLOS Malyutkas? Hasn't there been a SACLOS version out for nearly three decades now?