What is the most sophisticated submarine currently in military use?

What is the most sophisticated submarine currently in military use?

Attached: 068819953.jpg (259x194, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HVFPtQl7TYo&t=118s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sōryū-class_submarine
thetimes.co.uk/article/british-submarine-in-underwater-duel-with-kremlins-black-hole-hunter-killer-dhxhlpwc9
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ur mum

My mother is 82 years old.

She's picked up a lot of sophistication.

Yasen-class subs are the world best at the moment. US might pull ahead in the coming decade but that's not certain.

Attached: 1544009729008.jpg (1812x1192, 449K)

They didn't ask which is 'best', they asked which is most sophisticated. I take that to mean technological sophistication. If that is the case, it'd be the most recent Western designs. For SSNs that's the RN's Astute class.

Attached: RN Astute-class SSN construction.jpg (2000x1125, 1.49M)

here's hint, they are yellow and smell like dead dog

are these in service yet? not flaming genuinely curious

Nice try, Chang. No black project names for you today.

chang is a chinese name

Bet she’s seen a lot of seamen over the years

The Russians didn't replace periscopes with EO masts until 2017. They're crazy behind.

Nigger, even russian Kilo subs are better than anything NATO has right now. They're the quietest subs in the world. Periscope is not as critical.

Not even a Brit, I'm a red blooded Yank, but the Astute class is looking beastly. Glad they're on our side for now until the UK becomes part of the Caliphate.

>Yasen-class
It's a design from the early 90's. I'd be very surprised if it they held up favourably to Astutes, Barracudas or Virginias.You won't get anything more than speculation though I'm afraid because those that know won't talk about it and those that don't have zero access to information that would let them form an informed opinion.

It is, however, an open secret that the Russian Navy is trash and their submarines are significantly louder than anything that NATO have.

They've been in commission for almost 10 years now, they were the "best in the world" for a while, but I'd imagine that they've probably been outdone by the Barracuda class which is being built at the moment.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1040x1300, 155K)

What about the Japanese with the new batteries?

No idea. I'm not going to comment on something I don't know. Maybe it's better, but I was just agreeing with that user that the Astute is shaping up to be a top tier attack sub.

Barracuda isn't really in the same class of sub as Virginia/Yasen/Astute. It's significantly smaller. Plus they're still using that old-ass K15 reactor, so I question how technologically advanced the Barracuda really is.

youtube.com/watch?v=HVFPtQl7TYo&t=118s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sōryū-class_submarine

Don't Kilos not even have AIP yet?

As I said, it's purely speculation because noone here has access to classified information, but just because a reactor is old doesn't mean it's loud, especially if it's been modified with modern manufacturing techniques and sound simulation. The Barracudas will likely have been built with top tier electronics and computing resources as well so their detection capabilities will likely be best in the world until the Virginias/Astute get a mid life refit.

Again, I'd be very surprised if the Yasen was even on the same page as modern western subs as Russian Sub development has been frozen for 20 years and they were even behind to begin with. Layer that with general Russian naval incompetence and it's a wonder that they have anything over and above remodelled Kilo, so they have that going for them at least. They really should stop being mentioned in the same breath as modern Western subs though.

The problem is less the reactor being loud, and more that it'll require it to be refueled every 10 years. Considering all other modern nuclear subs are being built to go their whole lifetime without refueling, that's pretty shitty.

Oh yeah, that does suck

The chinese ones no one knows about yet.

Seawolf

...tha ohree sond they wll ear is our laffttur, whyle we saylle to Havannaa, ver tha sun is wahrm, und soh is tha...commrradeshipt.

Virginia class attack subs
It has a drive-by-wire control system

Barracuda is using a step down in technology. The program director even confirmed they're not improving the stealth any more than than Triomphants, which were built in the 80s.

Also because of its size, its sonar arrays are much smaller, less hydrophones. Carries less ammunition, lesss stores, less powerpacks, less space to deaden sound. Needs refuelled all the time...

Barracuda will likely still outstrip anything it has to face, but it just isn't even in the same league as Virginia/Astute.

Barracuda strikes me as an attempt to get "good enough" performance while maximizing cost effectiveness. And the accounting involved probably underestimates the cost of refueling.

Virginia class by a mile.

Astute or Virginia class

Duh, you dont need that shit when you can ventilate on fools from 1000 kms away with VLS missile salvos.

The first two boats, yes, those might incorporate some design choices and tech from the 90s, but the newer boats have been modified just as heavily as newer block Virginias to include visible outside changes (the shortened length is a dead giveaway that they've severely overhauled the insides, including swap reduction of components)

Tbh it also doesnt need to be as stealthy as its US counterparts. The sensors are bigger, as it is with most things on a bigger boat, but larger apertures mean more range all other things held equal. The Soviet emphasis on torpedo countermeasures are still there as well. Its also deeper diving than its counterparts, as well as faster. In a sub duel, the stealthier Virginias might be the ones to let off a first shot, but that invariably would alert the Yasens, which would actively ping and find the Virginias anyway. And this is where the Virginias might see trouble being outgunned, and outmaneuvered with a target has the dedicated countermeasures to soak up a full salvo from the Virginia.

Attached: Ru_Pr885_side.jpg (940x382, 84K)

Ohio class is the quietest

no, kilo is. actually much quieter. they nicknamed them black hole subs for a reason. kilos were even stalking Astutes in Med. this past year and fucking with them.
diesel subs are ALWAYS gonna be quieter than nukes.

>they nicknamed them black hole subs for a reason.

Marketing.

>diesel subs are ALWAYS gonna be quieter than nukes.

Until the batteries run low.

>Marketing.
USN called them that, not Russians.
>Until the batteries run low.
sure, but that's why they're operating in shallow waters and areas close to Russia.

>USN called them that, not Russians.

A claim put forward by the media, not the navy.

>sure, but that's why they're operating in shallow waters and areas close to Russia.

Like the Mediterranean, sure no one else has their subs there.

I think you mean sophisDICKaction bro!

Attached: sick.gif (498x266, 1.17M)

AIP is a meme, even Japan's newest sub that's on the drawing board does not have AIP, or rather removed it from their design.

The typhoon and alfa class must be the most sophisticated and ambitious designs but the electronics are 1970s era. All the modern subs are very basic in design but have better electronics and reactors.

I'm surprised no one is building carbon fiber subs, there's deep sea exploration ones but not military. Carbon fiber pressure hulls are even better than the russian titanium ones but without the construction difficulty.

Attached: Ru_Alfa_cutaway.jpg (2200x1100, 431K)

Probably this one if I had to guess on the spot. It's got sauce on top of the cheese.

Attached: large-tbr.jpg (1200x416, 132K)

Sinpo-class

The Japs decided to forego the AIP in favour of relying on modern battery technology.

The benefit is that it’s cheaper to operate, and less risky tech-wise.

There’s no disputing the fact that an AIP powered by diesel, ethanol, or hydrogen will have greater endurance for a given size/weight though. Battery tech has advanced in recent years, but it’s not there yet.

You do realize Yasen, despite being a bigger boat of the two, needs 50% less crewmen (64 dudes to be exact), right? Can't get any more sophisticated than a ship that needs less supervision and hands to run itself.

>If that is the case, it'd be the most recent Western designs
Meh.

Attached: 885 yasen k-561 kazan (1).jpg (925x616, 189K)

AIP is mostly a meme because of the technology. Pure hydrogen cells are decent, but hydride tanks provide a minuscule amount of fuel for the cost (also working with pure hydrogen is a bit on the risky side), closed cycle engines need a lot of space and give off a thermal trail, Stirlings produce little power for the size/cost (and also have the thermal trail issue). The only ones worth a damn are feedstock fuel cells using either ammonia or a diesel-fed chemical reactor (preferably diesel for fuel commonality with the main engines). Problem is, those ones are barely out of research prototype phase.
And LiPo batteries are a nutty meme. If you thought battery fires in a submerged sub were bad, imagine what a lithium fire in something the size of 5000 Note 7s is like.

Oh no doubt. I'm not saying it's a poor idea. Nor am I saying it's bad. If France hasn't identified a need for a top end one then it is better to not waste a limited budget on them.

>kilos were even stalking Astutes in Med. this past year and fucking with them.

Except 1) That was never confirmed outside bullshit propaganda and 2) Given the US subs got their shots off without trouble, the more likely story is that it was the Astute fucking with the Russians, acting as a decoy, distracting them and leading them in circles to let the US ones operate in peace to fire their salvo.

Also almost every modern sub has had the "black hole" name put on them by some media.

>It is, however, an open secret that the Russian Navy is trash and their submarines are significantly louder than anything that NATO have.
More like rancid natofaggot Cold War era propaganda that you for whatever reason keep parroting.

>It's all lies ...a-and even if it's not we knew about it all the way!
Yeah, sure thing lad, whatever floats your small island.

Attached: 636.3 varshavyanka b-265 krasnodar & f82 hms somerset.jpg (3444x1816, 3.34M)

Carbon fiber hulls have short lifespans under constant mechanical stress. That's fine in deepsea explorers, since they're not being continuously ridden hard and put up wet (also because they bring in a decent amount of money to replace them and make some profit on top), but it's completely unacceptable in a military vehicle that's supposed to have a 25-30 year usable life.

Having small crews is a bad thing. Small crews are more prone to chronic fatigue and attrition due to accidents/disease. The USN found this out the hard way. The small crew meme debuted in the Soviet Navy due to horrible retention rate, and continued in the Russian one due to low recruitment numbers.

Oh boy, an Armatard post in the wild! How's your babushka?

>I-i swear on me mum we knew about it all the way... God shave the queen!
Ok, Eugene.

Attached: 20381 boykiy & f81 hms sutherland.jpg (2400x1562, 1.18M)

>Having small crews is a bad thing
Holy shit get a load of this idiot.

Attached: get a load of this guy cam.jpg (496x496, 134K)

>Having small crews is a bad thing. Small crews are more prone to chronic fatigue and attrition due to accidents/disease

having less crew means a higher level of integration
same trend is going to the frigates too
compare the old f70 class with the fremm and then compare the fremm with the upcoming belh@rra(fuck the guy that thought that name)carrying almost the same amount of armament with less crew on a smaller package

Nice and butthurt already! I'm astonished that you're not used to people outing the reality of Russia as a third rate military power by now Armatard. Do I need to post the Kuznetsov interior pictures again? Although they're not even relevant any more since she lost that fight with a crane...

I'm not even the guy you're replying to btw, I just like pointing out your complete buttblastedness when faced with the reality that the Russian Navy exists solely to provide boipussi to the general staff.

>Y-you don't get it ...w-we knew! Y-yeah, WE KNEW, hear me?!
Ot's fine, Eugene, you can calm down now.

Attached: 20381 soobrazitelniy & f81 hms sutherland.jpg (3000x1684, 1.2M)

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

>Person posts pretty solid, logical point
>Resorts to trying to act smug

Yup, Armatard is here.

>belh@rra(fuck the guy that thought that name)
It's 2019.

Attached: 1211099538134.jpg (380x288, 42K)

Attached: 1553636521452.jpg (1280x720, 67K)

>Person posts pretty solid, logical point
There's nothing solid or logical in his damage control.

Attached: 1540969920208.jpg (1432x964, 226K)

Set damage control to butthurt!

>it was never confirmed therefore what we say that was never confirmed too is real

>Having small crews is a bad thing. Small crews are more prone to chronic fatigue and attrition due to accidents/disease.
Manning your boat with subhuman flips, spics, niggers isnt going to do wonders for combat readiness either. Imagine sharing a rack with one of those, disgusting.

>He thinks the US didn't actually launch tomahawks

This is a step up from the "we shot loads down!" line.

>Can't get any more sophisticated than a ship that needs less supervision and hands to run itself.

That's not a good thing, they do this because they aren't confident in the crew.

The most advanced sub is in the US/Canada currently protecting the Great Lakes from California. They really want to steal the water and it is the first line of defense against those who want the fresh water.

Attached: DSV.jpg (1600x1096, 137K)

Why do the Brits still use a more vertical 0 shape for subs than a cylinder o like the US uses? Is there some reason they still make them look like U-boats? They look awesome, but I was just wondering if there's some technical reason for it.

They re-used the same reactor as on their SSBNs which require a taller hull, at least that's part of the reason AFAIK.

>the modernization of Yasen is shorter in length than the original
What did the Russians get rid of / change to do that?

Kilos weren't stalking Astutes in the Meds. It was the opposite, Krasnodar was sent to the Syrian coast from the North Sea, it travelled on the surface along the way where it was monitored by English ships. Once it reached somewhere near Cyprus it submerged and the English lost it tracks, only to notice it is already launching missiles near Syria. Probably because the Meds is somewhat shallow making it better fit for the Kilo.

It's got two fewer torpedo tubes, but two more VLS tubes.

Side mounted sonars, also the original sonar was bigger and was taken off an older sub that was not completed.

So they pointed the torpedo tubes upwards, cool.

>Kilos weren't stalking Astutes in the Meds. It was the opposite,
Fucking LOL'd m8. Astute is loud as a motherfucker compared to Kilos. You clearly don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

thetimes.co.uk/article/british-submarine-in-underwater-duel-with-kremlins-black-hole-hunter-killer-dhxhlpwc9

They played with Astute, they sent active sonar pings at it, they deployed decoys and SONAR targets... it was fucking hilarious to read about. They clearly had lots of fun. Astute's captain must have been shitting his pants.

I can believe it desu. Nuclear is just louder, simple as that. And the RN submarine branch has had a colourful history recently, one fuckup after another.

>pure destilled cope

Shit like this doesn't get declassified for at times decades after it happens. Wouldn't trust a sensational article about something that came out within the same year.

>sensational article
Do you mutts not know about The Times? This is not Daily Mail mate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Times

Its the media playing up an incident that they'd have no way knowing about, guess what they all want to sell papers. Its what war coverage is, the entire reason we have the word Blitzkrieg was because journalists manufactured it.

>media playing up
The Times is the most well connected newspaper in the UK. You have no clue m8. Take your butthurt elsewhere.

Its a newspaper talking about the most classified aspect of modern warfare, all they can is play it up.

>
>41024951
Losharik
and
Nuclear-powered Kilo , with Poseidon -derived reactor (still TBA)

>they nicknamed them black hole subs for a reason
Being a black hole actually doesn't make them quieter, on the contrary. Think for a second.

The Times hasn't had a decent defence correspondent since 1992.

>Japan's newest sub that's on the drawing board
Link?

the USS Seawolf

you're a moron who doesn't understand metaphors and takes analogies to an extreme. I hope you can still take some remedial English classes kiddo.

don't even bring up russia when talking submarines tech until they are capable of making AIP, even fucking Turkey did it

>I was only pretending to be retarded
Fuck off mate.

>even fucking Turkey did it
Turkey developed an indigenous AIP system?

Attached: 800px-Submarinos_S-80_Plus.png (800x1153, 203K)

Canadian land sub
these patrol the great plains of Saskatchewan

Attached: masthead_current_vissc.jpg (537x307, 37K)

>kilos were even stalking Astutes in Med.

Given how the bongs run their boats and the sort of mission they were on, it is actually far more likely that the Astute was playing electric rabbit to the Kilos. I recall this being speculated on extensively at the time.

Though we will likely never know for certain, it makes sense that the Astute would run as decoy whilst the older, louder and slower burger subs, which had twice as many missiles to throw, did their thing.

Seawolf?

The "secondary propulsion screw" was the emergency propulsion?

Also, did this ship have a escape capsule? An y online article dealing with this issue?

Nah, Carter is spoopier

Attached: djoaki5xuaiypdy.jpg (1000x750, 429K)

Attached: 971 rescue chamber.jpg (500x533, 62K)

This. Its just as easy as looking for golf balls flying in the jet stream.