Why isn’t the slide polymer?

Why isn’t the slide polymer?

Attached: D7C510D1-5C43-4E24-B727-355EC310D0FC.jpg (1200x1200, 151K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Nfrk2UdEOcQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There's literally no good reason for the slide not to be polymer

I'm not sure user. Why not indeed?

Too weak
/thread

Probably wouldnt cycle effectively

Pressure bearing surfaces. To spite modern design and materials there is no polymer that would withstand the forces in play. Maybe on a .22LR auto you could get away with it but even there it would be questionable.

Are you fucking retarded?

The five seven does it but you'll still need metal rails, breech face, locks, and probably channels.

>decide to take some time off from Jow Forums
>spend almost a year away
>get drunk
>come back in a moment of weakness to see what's up
>see this
Godspeed, old girl.

Attached: 1540081935693.jpg (720x676, 90K)

18 U.S.C. § 922. Because the central government is fucking retarded.

First, some strength that plastic can't provide is needed, particularly at the breechface and at the front of the ejection port where the barrel locks in. So those areas would need to be a metal insert molded into the slide.

The bigger problem is that the slide needs to have a certain mass for proper operation. Making it out of polymer, you'd have to go up to a big fat hi-point-ugly slide to have the required mass.
If anything, people would rather have slides thinner rather than thicker.

Use the filter and hide every single buzzword you can think of, it helps.

that's a glock 9 youre looking for

Poly80s are the stupidest fucking thing.

But that's wrong, post some fucking proof

They really aren’t stupid at all.

Wrong
>slide just has a poly shell

Not those anons, but you post proof. You're the one asking why the slide cant be polymer; show that it isn't high pressure or too weak.

Maybe steel for the weight. A polymer slide would probably require some crazy recoil spring?

dont /b/ my Jow Forums.

Have it your way.

Why isn't it the slide made of glass.

Or maybe you're just a virgin

I like turtles

Attached: 20190209_182658.jpg (4032x2268, 2.54M)

Try it OP. Make one. I'm sure it will be perfectly safe and operate just fine. Use high pressure +P+ loads, take it out, and fire it. Don't bother with a string, it should be safe so safety measures shouldn't be an issue

yeah they totally suck

Attached: 20181217_003739.jpg (4032x3024, 3.12M)

>he doesn't want 18 year olds to have access to handguns

because portions of the slide will be exposed to heat and cheap polymers + heat = shit.
there are materials like glass filled nylon and PEEK but the upper temperature ranges for those materials are 150-290 degrees c before they lose structural integrity and they are expensive.

if you were to get a block of PEEK and machine it to be a glock slide it'll probably work but it will be expensive and the surface of the muzzle end may deform based on how hot it gets (iirc peek gets shitty at 290+ degC)

The song playing in his head right there:
youtu.be/Nfrk2UdEOcQ

I built one. Overall not impressed.
Some bad design decisions, and I noticed well after I'd been using mine that my frame is slightly out of alignment. Poor QC.
Glocks are mostly garbage. I'm glad they came up with a system that seems ultra reliable, but that doesn't help that the trigger is still shit, and the ergonomics are even shitter.
Too many retards with small hands putting 3.5 connectors in and adjusting the sights to their mis-aiming (instead of zeroing the gun on a rest) and thinking they are good to go.
Then there's the 'tards paying for custom glocks.