Scattergun General - /SG/

Stinky Cordite Edition.

So, last week's "Dirty Birdies" was a smallish success - discussing the diritiest ammo you have used - let's talk the opposite.

What's the ammo you can fire a case of and your semi-auto Shotties just need a good wipe-down and that's it.

For me, it's the 1-1/8 Rem Skeet ammo - the outside of the barrel/shotty is nasty, but, the inside's pleasantly clean. Very strange.

Spent all of Sunday - after Early church - bringing No guns to the skeet range to try out the ole Rem 1100. Everyone had a good time, and now two people want shotties to come and join the club.

Was a good day.

Attached: Remington Gun Club.jpg (250x201, 8K)

I like the Remington Premier STS for that.

So, I am an Europoor looking for a shotgun to purchase, I would be using it for Finnish Reservist Practical shooting (sovellettu reserviläisammunta) and for SHTF scenarios. Any recommendations? Also being aftermarket compatible would be a large plus.

I have no idea what the availability/laws are like in Finland, but if I was giving advice to a US person it would be, in increasing order of price from poorfag and up:

Mossberg Maverick 88. This is the more basic model of the standard Mossberg, made in Mexico. Fit and finish isn't great, but they are reliable and use most of the same parts as the more costly model 500, meaning you have good aftermarket support.

Mid range would Mossberg 500 or 590

Up from there would be an older model Remington 870.

And then we get into Semiautos. I am a big fan of the Benellis. Benelli M2 and M4 are the quintessential combat shotguns and both have a strong aftermarket following in LE/MIL and competition circles.

The M88s are honestly not great. If you have anything more than poverty-cash, I would get something else. Yes, they work, but they just feel and handle cheaply. I don't like them one bit unless you only have 150$ (or the equivalent) for 1 gun.

As to the Benellis semi-autos - these are great, but, are entirely too expensive unless you're already deeply entrenched in shotgun games/shooting, etc. I recommend a used Remington 1100 or a Browning-branded Howa shotgun or any of the other guns on the used market first. Once you're comforable with shotguns, then you can go and get the Super Black Eagle or the Benellis or whatever.

Shot an armadillo last night in the ass at almost 15 yards with a cheap sellior and bellot 00 buck shell. The armadillo was immediately incapacitated but still alive for a few seconds.
It looks like at least 3 of the pellets penetrated with 1 that glanced off the top. Interestingly, the shell cracked like an eggshell in places as far as a few inches further out than the wounds that started them.
would post if wasnt phone blocked.

why'd you need to do that? I mean, I'm all about killing varmints and stuff that hurts your property, but, last I checked the only time armadillos are dangerous are if you eat them.

>The M88s are honestly not great. If you have anything more than poverty-cash, I would get something else

Agreed 100%, I just listed those because they are a viable ultra-budget option.

Used 1100 is certainly reasonable if you want a semiauto without spending too much cash. I'd be wary of the current production Remingtons though. Stick with either their law-enforcement models, or those produced before 2007.

Back to pump guns, Ithaca 37 is always a great choice too, though there are not as many aftermarket options for those compared to Remington, Mossberg, and Benelli.

Absolutely agree with this (wow, SGG - ultra civil);I'd say for anything Remington you have to go old OR expensive.

Or do what I did and go both Old and Formerly expensive. Also, shout out to the 11-87 and the 80's era department store 1100s (can't remember the name). They occasionally show up on gunbroker for like 200$ used. P. nice.

Do the recoil reducer things filled with mercury actually work or is it just a meme? Sounds like a crock of shit desu

invasive specie in my state

They certainly do work

>>Inertia is a crock of shit and the laws of physics don't apply to me
really bro?

Huh, but, what do they replace in the ecosystem? doesn't seem like they'd fuck with much, no?

Still, good on you.

Interesting. Do they actually cause any kind of harm, or are they just non-native? I can't imagine them causing any kind of property damage, out-competing or spreading diseases to local wildlife.

>Also, shout out to the 11-87
Yeah, those are good too. They have decent aftermarket support as well.

Some tortoise is listed by name but whatever else eats bugs and eggs on the ground however deep they dig. Or those that might be victim to their egg eating.
For humans specifically, they mostly dig up gardens and lawns pretty often (maybe crops too) but not the way things like ground hogs do. Instead they dig kind of short trenches into the roots to get grubs. It's pretty obvious when one is living nearby, they leave distinctive trenches and trails through leaves.
I used to only shoot them around the house for selfish reasons but when I learned they didnt belong here I started popping them wherever legal. Youre impacting local wildlife in some negative way allowing foreign animals to thrive there.

>recommending mav88
Pls no.
What would you guys say is your do it all shell? I have 00 stacked, #4 stacked, a variety of birdshot and target loads stacked. If you could only fill a bag with 1 shell type, what would you pick?

The expensive stuff like Remington Premiere/Nitro 27 or Winchester AA is very clean. Even the competition grade Fiocchi is pretty good.

As far as cheap bulk stuff, Gun Clubs like you mentioned are pretty good, but the B&P skeet loads are amazingly clean. Some of the various Rio loads are clean enough to get through a couple cases without choking out my autos as well, although some are also pretty foul. I've had good luck with the 1oz 12ga light target loads (TLT28 and TLSK28 depending on whether you want 9s, 8s, or 7.5s).

Generally I stick with Gun Clubs or American Clay & Field because they're a good blend of cheap and reloadable, and I do a lot of shotshell reloading.

#2 lead birdshot in an express loading
>reaches vitals in men at close range
>will kill varmints exceedingly well
>can make use of on larger birds
I wouldnt limit myself to that of course really.
#4 buck and #6 birdshot is what Id fill the bag with and feel a lot more capable.
I love playing with BB and #4 steel 3.5" though.

My personal go-to cheapie target load is Winchester Super Target. I bought like, 25 boxes of the 20 gauge version to put through my Shockwave when my LGS had it on sale, and I liked it so much that I bought a bunch of 12 gauge for my Maverick 88 too. I had a bunch of misfires with Federal target loads, but what I like about the Winchester is that it's been 100% reliable in both gauges.

Attached: winchester-super-target-20-ga-2-34-78-oz-no-75-shot.jpg (700x525, 30K)

High velocity, buffered, nickel-plated-lead #5 birdshot. I've killed everything from squirrels to geese with it (and while less good than buckshot it would probably do okay on people), due to the nickel plating and buffer it tends to pattern extremely well, and while no target load it's fairly mild on recoil still.

My grandpa accidentally killed a horse with it at like 90 yards too.
>granda out hunting pheasants on our farm
>asshole neighbor turned horses loose on his property
>go knock on his door and tell him to get the fucking horses out of his corn field
>gets told to pound sand
>grandpa goes back to field and tries chasing the horses out
>horses have nice tender green corn to eat, give no fucks
>fires in the air
>horses continue to give no fucks
>from ~90 yards out goes to shoot one of the horses in the ass, "lol it's just birdshot it'll sting 'em and they'll run off"
>bang
>horse immediately falls over dead
>pellets had enough energy to penetrate the back of the skull still
>well fuck
>goes back to asshole neighbors house
>"okay I ran off all but 1, but you need to get its body out of my field before dark"
>w-wait, body? did you kill my horse?
>eeeyup

Well, alright, pop those little bastards then.

00 buck, but, No4 is better for HD in the home.

Yeah, but, that shit IS expensive (I love the little "X" that comes out of the Winchester AA that works to tell you how/when you fucked up). My guy doesn't like Rio - see previous chimney sweep comments.

What are you shooting so that Federal misfires? That's crazy.

Yeah not all Rio is created equal. The 1 1/8oz stuff is generally pretty filthy. That's why I listed the models for the two I've had good luck with.

My go-to load for practical purposes (fun, defense, dealing with pest animals) is #4 buck. The only time I take birdshot is if I'm going hunting, or if I'm shooting clays.

I have a handload I cooked up for muh Judge I take when I'm out working on rural property. It's #12 shot topped with three pellets of triple-ought buck in a 3 inch hull. I leave the hull uncrimped and I seal with wax instead so I can fit the maximum possible volume of shot within. Thus far it's proven more than adequate on everything from snakes to feral dogs.

Im thinking about dropping the money on an auto claythrower, does anyone have one and are they worth it? My friends and i started shooting clays a few weeks ago and were really getting into it.
The cheap manual one i bought broke and figure i might as well upgrade.

I don't know enough about them to name names, but I can tell you that the cheaper automatic ones suck balls. They don't throw very hard/far, and they are constantly requiring attention of one sort or another. I'd be very wary of anything that sounds too good/cheap to be true.

Honestly, unless you set up the whole kit and kaboodle to build a skeet range with multiple stations - just keep using the manuals.

The mechanical ones (unless you drop $$$) require $ and time to keep working, you can't lug em anywhere, and after a while you get bored of the same shots going the same places.

I know understand why the top-tier skeet shooers do all kinds of other shooting sports - because it's a sport you CAN master.

Try hand throwing them or getting one of those 'toss-assist' launchers. Make shit weird.

>I know understand why the top-tier skeet shooers do all kinds of other shooting sports - because it's a sport you CAN master.

Yep, skeet is pretty much rote muscle memory because the geometry is the same every time. The same cannot be said for the other shotgun disciplines where there is a lot of randomization involved.

scattergat newfag here. how do you examine an older shottie to know how fireable it is?

I got an Auto 5 in 16 and would like to know

Attached: martina hingis.jpg (1835x2750, 921K)

I was thinking about buying one with a wobbler and osciallator to mix up the shots a bit. I think the base units like 500 so its not super cheap i dont think. All in all im looking at like 700-750
Ive got a real bad problem of going super hard for whatever new hobby i have but it usually pays off.

I also really like the idea of being able to go out and shoot bymyself more or less hassle free.

Start with checking the basic stuff: no obvious problems or broken parts, make sure the barrel is straight, no bulges, etc. Check that the extractor looks in good shape, the firing pin has a nice round point.

On the Auto 5 specifically, you want to check or replace the brass friction rings and the recoil spring. If it were me I'd replace them just to be on the safe side. Find a good guide for how to adjust the friction assembly and the bevel ring--those are often misadjusted.

>What are you shooting so that Federal misfires? That's crazy.
Cheapie target loads. The kind of Federal that *isn't* Premium.

Like I said before, I don't know enough about brands to name names, but I'd be leery about a $500 automatic thrower. Perhaps I'm mistaken and someone with more knowledge can set the record straight, but I'd be concerned at that price point.

I think user might have been asking about what GUN you were shooting that results in Federals misfiring.

I've fired case after case of their cheapo walmart ammo through a variety of shotguns ranging from cheap-ass single shot break actions and up and I haven't had a single misfire. I can't say it's good ammo, but it's never failed to go bang for me.

The barrel of my mav 88 has a very slight wobble when i grab it by the stock and by the barrel and twist in opposite directions, is this normal?

.22lr

No.
Either your receiver-to-barrel fit is loose, or your stock-to-receiver fit is loose. Figure out which it is and fix it.

Grab gun by stock in one hand and receiver in other. Do you feel any wobble there?

What about receiver in one hand and barrel in the other. What about there?

This user gets it, and that's been my experience too. Shotties, Pistol, rifle - doesn't matter: Federal's the "standard" ammo.

It's not the Remington bucket-o-plink, but it'll ALWAYS work, so imagine my surprise when you say you've had misfires with Federal.

What gun/action were you using? When was the last time it was cleaned?

no wobble with stock and receiver, wobble on receiver and barrel.

OK, barrel to receiver fit is a little loose. Is the magazine tube cap tight? The nut you remove when you take down the gun?

yep tight as i can get it finger tight

Sounds like it's that mexican QC for ya.

It's not unsafe given that the bolt locks into the barrel itself so the receiver isn't actually containing any pressure.

Yeah it's a very very slight wobble, probably nothing to worry about. Thanks

well, wait. There's always going to be "the Mossberg jingle" - even my Mossy 500 from CT has a bit of a rattle to it, and that's okay. So long as nothing moves apreciably (ie. you can see it move) when you shake the gun around. That's bad.

Anything else is just looser tolerances.

Right i figured that it was the mossberg rattle, brain just overthunk it.

little bit's okay, but, if shit looks wiggly instead of feels wiggly - that's the problem.

Yeah with the barrel in place and the nut tight when i grab it by the receiver and barrel i can see a slight wiggle where the barrel fits in the receiver

and it's literally moving by just a hair, have to really focus to see it move. And have to put my thumb on the inside to feel it and its very small movement

stop worrying you dumbfuck.

>It's not unsafe given that the bolt locks into the barrel itself so the receiver isn't actually containing any pressure.
that
its fine

Well i didnt realize how expensive some of those autothrowers can get.
I just went to cabelas website and looked at the best reviewed. Seemed decent for a backyard rig but now im wondering if itd be better spend the 1.5k-2k on one.

alright alright i'm too paranoid.

Closest range to me is slugs only. What is a good plinking slug?

I just get on ammoseek and find whatever's cheapest.

Where my saigabros at? Putting a SCSS railed forend on this week and mounting a knurled Tromix charging knob on my handle.

Wolf rifles slugs.

Attached: Memewave upgrade.jpg (1500x2666, 817K)

Just bought a bunch of sellier and bellot #4 buckshot. Any anons have experience with it? Any good?

Attached: F79AB5EE-D3C3-4AF5-B233-424F6EBE52E2.jpg (3886x1624, 1.36M)

really? is it outdoors? every range near me has said no slugs ever.

Also, STILL unemployed boys! Can't even volunteer my time to do my job for free.

Here's to you SGG - the only bright light in a day of shit.

Cheap but workable. You'll find that they're so cheap because they omit the plastic wad-cup, so the spread SUUUUUUUCKS after like 10ft - pattern one on a range to see for yourself. Still, if you have to ventilate in the

Also, is that a goddammn BM-59. OHHHHH BABY.

I'm trying to scrounge up enough funds for a BM-14.

Well my A5 has a lot of choke options. Maybe extra full choke will help with that spread.
Yes thats a BM59. Awesome gun. Would highly suggest them. The only thing though is if you get one they can only work with NATO spec 7.62. Anything else will bend the op rod just like garands.

you can't put in a variable gas plug? Laaaame.

Also, is it one of hte JRA ones? I said that in BRG - be careful of the casts. There's too many reports to shuff of op-rods jumping out and fucking the whole rifle.

It is a JRA. Those reports may be from people using commercial ammo. Who knows. I havent put a lot of rounds through it but we will see.

Attached: 288C1D86-19C0-42D4-9DA0-D8CAC864019D.jpg (4032x3024, 1.98M)

Oh hello Nacy

I finally built my bayonet cap extension. I took som no gun work buddies out in my uncles field and let them wear my gear and fire a dragon’s breathe round each.

Attached: 669458D5-CE4F-486F-8F80-4D4E22884759.jpg (4032x3024, 3.01M)

Hi there

Attached: 2A26C556-91AA-4FEC-9141-683453881367.jpg (4032x3024, 2.23M)

Love the grenade launcher sights.

Retarded, but, beautiful.

Also, let's keep it SGG - so, what's your favorite of the shotty sports? Mine is by far sporting clays, even though I suck ass at them.

Heard you sold the truck to some poor fucker kek

The best way to build the hobby. Let people do dumb, cool shit under supervision. ALWAYS the best way to get new shooters.

Don't really like the stock on your scatter-gat, but, hey, different strokes for different folks.

Can you capture one and fedex it to me? I need a pet.

rate

Attached: [LA riots intensifies].jpg (1815x556, 520K)

Only if youre one of those pussies who shoot in only ideal conditions. I was breaking 6 hi literally a foot off the ground due to the wind we were having. Its not as predictable as you make it seem.

No love for o/u ITT? I love me them older SKBs and Mirokus.

what are some cool 410 shellss

Attached: 1553284866760.gif (472x357, 1.32M)

Top 3 semi auto shotguns overall? Want to get one and thinking about getting an M4 but may go a little cheaper

picked her up this very day laddingtons

Attached: 37A937F7-1538-4E95-BF8D-130520A7FDBC.jpg (4032x3024, 1.92M)

Stoeger M3000 or M3K is pretty nice

I've heard of them, are they like a licensed copy of another shotgun or a totally native Stoeger design?

>11-87
As long as it isn't the LE/tactical variant. Fucking horrible in every regard. Agencies couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Same. Bought an entire flat for like $80.

Patterns ok, but it's some smelly, dirty shit. Also wad sends confetti in the air every single time. Still, pretty good for $80.

What's the consensus on the H&R Pardner Pump? Are they 1:1 with old Remington 870s in terms of reliability?

Attached: HandRpardner.png (474x474, 58K)

Owned by Benelli now. Petty sure their inertia system is very similar

what was wrong with them, or was it the traditional LEO "no cleaning, keep in the holster" issue down the line.

How much should I be paying for an Ithaca 37 DS with scope and rings? It's a run of the mill Nikon/Bushnell scope.

Can I get a lead on a Winchester 1897 in good condition? They are so cool. Nothing good on gunbroker :(

Remington 1100, Beretta 1201fp, or mossberg 930 for a decent semi auto?

Or should i just dump money into my mossy?

They can ruin gardens and lawns if theyre east of the miss. river

I'm the Rem 1100 man - massive aftermarket, generally considered to be "dirty" but functional after a good cleaning. Can be shot seldom or incessantly.

Have heard nothing but bad reviews of the Mossy 930.

Know nothing about the Berettas

its basically on par with an 88. needs a strong hand when racking, but it will always go bang.

Attached: image-3.jpg (1024x576, 33K)

I pretty much exclusively use federal target loads, specifically the pink shotshells in my Vepr-12. I don’t spend much more than 10 minutes cleaning it after a good day blasting 200+ rounds

Attached: D9C4C4FA-AE07-415B-827A-C4FF81F1C0CE.jpg (2853x3389, 3.34M)

Armadillos can cause damage to your foundation by digging under it too much. Extreme example but it can happen. I used to kill them but now I just shoo them off with a stick, they usually get the message.
Semi related note, I've got like 4 opossums that we call our ugly kitties because they show up every single day in the evening to eat our food scraps.

Semi autos are the most competitive option in SRA. If you just want to have fun, go with whatever tactical pump like Mossberg 590.
If you want to win you need to consider stuff like Mossberg 930 or Beretta semis or whatever with extended tube mags.
But shotguns are in a pretty minimal role in SRA at least where I shoot so I wouldnt invest that much into them. A basic 590 would be my suggestion for that reason.

Motherfuckers carry Leprosy.

thoughts on this vintage Mossberg 500 clone vs a Maverick 88 as a first shotgun?

Attached: Screenshot_20190402-094331.png (1440x2560, 701K)

Guy you replied to here. Funny you mention that, I had a huge armadillo living under the slab of my machine shop business for several years. It was a huge old bastard with only half a tail. It never caused any harm though. I'm sure it's possible they could cause foundation damage but that sounds like a crazy rare case. You'd have to have an unbelievable amount of digging combined with a really shitty foundation. (mine was shitty, and even with 100,000 lb industrial forklifts driving over the excavated area it still didn't crack)

I've seen 'em digging around my garden too but they never caused enough damage to bother me. They are among the last animals I'd expect to be causing problems for people.

Yeah, so? When was the last time you heard someone getting leprosy from one?

I haven't heard of anybody getting salmonella from undercooked chicken but you better believe I torch the shit out of my poultry.

Western Field was a Montgomery Ward "house brand". There were a variety of them made by various makers--browning, stevens, mossberg, savage, etc.

They are every bit as good as the same guns sold under their own names, and can be quite a bargain. If that gun is in good shape I'd much rather have it than a Maverick '88. It is surely much better build quality.

Do you ride in motor vehicles despite the prevalence of accidents?

Yeah, because cars take me places. Armadillos just dig holes in my yard and carry diseases.

>just dig holes in my yard and carry diseases.
sounds like children to me
lol

only if you eat them user.

A little long in the barrel, no? Ask for pictures of the action/barrel before anything.

my African American.

I know I heard alot of shit about Remington but goddamn the asthetics of a hardwood tac-14 is getting to me.

Attached: 53995-DEFAULT-M.jpg (450x233, 9K)