Aerospace Fighters

Will we ever develop BattleTech-level aerospace fighters within this century considering that it has a great potential to be used in the same roles as other aircrafts but far, far, far more better and with an extra or two more roles?

Attached: 200px-0lgrqn4bu63ijyc23yfazitfjf8n3e4.png (200x234, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page
amazon.com/BattleTech-Legends-Decision-Thunder-Rift-ebook/dp/B003PPCUF0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FOPX4U4RZ7YW&keywords=decision at thunder rift&qid=1554243809&s=gateway&sprefix=decision at thunder,aps,212&sr=8-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

illiterate sage

Sadly probably not. Most modern/near future space weapons are long ranged missiles and lasers (not the kind that rip a ship in two but more along the lines of fucking up the enemy's targeting/electronics.) Also the current trend is replacing human pilots with drones. Probably most important is the cost. These things would make an F-35 look a a paper plane so they would probably cost an insane amount. My best guess is that space combat in the future is going to be really boring and probably zero human piloted fighters. One big ship is going to detect another from thousands of miles away and launch a super fast drone/missile.

space battles would be quite boring
as you would be dealing with distances even greater than current already excessively far ocean battle ranges

the lack of a horizon and sheer distance also makes point defence much more reliable
a CWIS currently can only less than a second to detect, track, and fire at a target
in space, it can detect and track the target as soon as its launched and can calculate an accurate firing solution for as long as the enemy missile isnt taking evasive maneuvers
and with guided missiles like a space sidewinder, you get even more options for reliable point defence

Can you make flying tank? No? Then you can't make a proper aerospace fighter.

Nope.

Attached: 1465152606065.png (560x848, 472K)

The technology for SSTO space planes has been "just a few years away" for 50+ years.
Real physics is very cruel. We will never see space fighters that behave like air fighters.
Space combat will be entirely automated, long range sensors and ballistic or laser weapons and missiles at massive ranges, happening too fast for a human to be effective.

The problem with SSTO plane isn't the tech but rather the cost.
Shit is reusable, yes. But the damn thing has high requirements and just building one is expensive as fuck. We have the tech, shit is just too expensive.

drone with ai for faster reaction time becomes self aware and dstroys humannittty

>CWIS currently can only less than a second to detect, track, and fire at a target

not with drone sensors arew you srs?

With multiple layering of magnetic fields a gravitational pocket could be made. You don't need to lift all the weight, you just need to make it believe it shouldn't be there as much as something else should be.

You say that, but really "we have the tech we just need the money" means "we think we can do it, if we just throw enough money at fully developing these promising technologies and getting the engineering challenges fully dealt with"
Its not like theres on the shelf SSTO components right now that just need to be purchased if you can write a check big enough.

Yes there is. Starship. It's still in development, but they're quite literally taking preorders. And that's a very common practice in space industry, New Glenn (Jeff Bezos' Prime Lunar Delivery Rocket) already has a dozen or so contract orders.

BUMP

>You can make gravity do things with magnets.
Aww, you're just adorable.

Without an exponential increase in energy density. No.

fuck off back to Jow Forums or keep that shit on its containment board.

I'm not sure how much of this was sarcastic shitposting, and that disturbs me.
>fuck off back to Jow Forums
You're not wrong, but neither is he.

What's the best battletech book to get for a newbie that has only ever played MechWarrior PC games?

Er, sort of? I can definitely see a use for trans-atmospheric fighters but a lot of the tech in BT is flat out BS. Never mind how we've outpaced them already in comp sci.

>but neither is he.
Fuck off cunt.

>someone has a different opinion than me
>thereby it's invalid because it contradicts my sheltered view of the world

The absolute state of the subhuman left, KYS nigger

>INSTANT butthurt and rage

Attached: 1386158227001.png (900x600, 547K)

Pic related is probably what a human piloted fighter would be in space.

Drones, missiles, lasers etc. are the likely future of space warfare though.

PS. Some shitter is posting with my IP or something because I keep getting warnings and bans for posts I didn’t make. Anyone know a fix?

Attached: D35712C6-BBB0-4FDA-805C-6AA493ED23A4.jpg (369x428, 135K)

Ok but none of those are SSTO. They’re conventional booster rocket systems with reusable components.

And like I said, all of these systems are in the “ give us a bunch of money and a timeline that will inevitably get delayed by a decade or more, so we can fully develop these technologies and overcome the engineering challenges.” Stage.

Starship can SSTO if it's running minimal payload.

We are not going to have space combat in the way you envision it.
>The technology for SSTO space planes has been "just a few years away" for 50+ years
They were building one as a replacement for the Space Shuttle and it was almost done before it was unceremoniously dumped due to costs/politics

The X-33 had huge problems with its fuel tanks. It fell way behind schedule and needed another decade and another 100 billion of funding. Its actually exactly what i was remembering when i wrote that post. I was alive and very much interested in the US manned space program when that was happening.

You can say that when it does it.

>a CWIS currently can only less than a second to detect, track, and fire at a target
Now multiply the speeds involved by about a factor of 20.
>can calculate an accurate firing solution for as long as the enemy missile isnt taking evasive maneuvers
Why the fuck wouldn't it be? Second, you might have the solution, but are your weapons accurate enough? Do you have enough opposing guided weapons to throw back?

>spacex will never successfully launch a rocket
>spacex will never successfully recover a rocket
>spacex will never successfully scale their architecture
>spacex will never successfully fire raptor
>you are here
>spacex will never successfully fly humans
>spacex will never successfully fly starship
>spacex will never successfully land on the moon
>spacex will never successfully land on mars

sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page
has all the lore and information on the Battletech universe.
If you want to read the original fiction novels you need to get a list of all the books in chronological order, because they werent numbered except in small 3 book series, and they were done by a group of authors.

amazon.com/BattleTech-Legends-Decision-Thunder-Rift-ebook/dp/B003PPCUF0/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FOPX4U4RZ7YW&keywords=decision at thunder rift&qid=1554243809&s=gateway&sprefix=decision at thunder,aps,212&sr=8-1

This is basically the first Btech book, set in the 3010 era. The Gray Death books are decent and set the universe up. After that is the Wolf's Dragoons series wich focuses on the Dragoons and House Kurita and the leadup to the 4th succession war. Then theres the lead up to, and the Clan invasion books by Stackpole which are the high point of the Btech universe. After that is the FedCom civil war and Prince Mary Sue Davion, which ends anticlimatcically and hints at another clan war...
But then FASA went bankrupt and the Btech universe went to hell and a giant black hole erased everything THE END.

wow a genuine Muskite.

I believe in what is demonstrated to be true. When Starship performs an SSTO flight i will accept it as being an SSTO vehicle.

>if you aren't a contrarian musk hater you must be some sort of cultist true believer
back to pleddit with you, r/enoughmuskspam

You seem to operate in a world of extremes. That probably isnt healthy.

SpaceX has done some impressive things and I think thats great. Right now their manned spaceflight is not even at the Russian modern Soyuz level, so I'm unwilling to accept that their Starship is a legitimate SSTO until such time as it does an SSTO flight. This is a reasonable position.

Don't BT fighters use weird electronic muscle fibres in their construction, or am I misremembering that part?

Beech universe has myomer artificial muscle material in the construction of mechs, but I don’t think it’s often in the Aerospace fighters except the ones that convert into mechs.

their mechs do

Attached: myomer battletech.jpg (1604x2190, 980K)

>The X-33 had huge problems with its fuel tanks
Not really. They managed to replace them with aluminum and the improvements to composites since has fixed the issues that plagued the tank in the first place. It could easily be restarted these days if it was really necessary.

Attached: 02s_jj14_e5c6057_live.jpg (800x555, 29K)

>Phantom Express
>Zero results found
Wow, you guys are letting me down.

Yes really. At the time, the project was unable to meet the weight goals and the fuel tanks failed in testing, leading to its cancellation.
It’s now been 20 years and the technology is developed enough to probably build the x-33, but even the x-33 was just a suborbital test demonstrator.
So as I originally said, SSTO spaceplanes are always “just around the corner” of the technological development curve and always “just need more funding to fully develop the cutting edge technology and overcome engineering challenges”
This has been the case for 50 years.