Why didn't America launch any major offensives against North Vietnam...

Why didn't America launch any major offensives against North Vietnam? What exactly is the problem with something like pic related?

Attached: hypothetical vietnam offensive.png (300x457, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Phase_Offensive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

are you fucking serious?

Attached: a6xu7soq5fey.jpg (708x1000, 92K)

You think the Chinese are going to allow an enemy army from the other side of the globe to just waltz on up to its border? It would force china, and thus the Soviet Union to declare war, and considering both sides have nukes it's not very feasible. The best option was to stay out of Vietnam in the first place and just let communism crumble on its own.

Because we technically weren't waging a war against them. Basically the USA was cucked into limiting operations to defending South Vietnam.

read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Phase_Offensive

we lost.

The Korean War almost resulted in full world war because the USA got too close to China. This had huge impact on the strategic thinking of the Americans. They were very scared of a repeat.
Unfortunately they refused to take any effective strategies to disrupt the flow of war material into North Vietnam or inflict any real pain on the north beyond losses at the line of conflict. So the body count strategy didn’t mean anything to an enemy with endless supply of small arms and peasant soldiers.

When Nixon finally authorized strategic bombing of North Vietnam and the mining of the sea lanes/ports through which most of the war materials were being transported, the North quickly called for negotiations.

China had tens of thousands of troops stationed in the North to counterbalance the ones we had in the South. If the U.S. had honored Nixon's pledge to continue to provide air support, the North's only successful offensive would have been another failure. The problem was the U.S. was kind of weary of continuing to risk their lives for and pay billions of dollars to a broken dictatorship.

After Nixon resigned the Congress lost all will to support South Vietnam, and Ford was basically a placeholder and he didn’t want to have anything to do with Vietnam. The war was a decade old and the US Military had been withdrawn. America didn’t care anymore.

There's quite a bit of distance between Hanoi and China. They didn't intervene in Korea until we were essentially right at their border. I imagine the South could handle it from there.

Two reasons.
One being the narrative that we were fighting to protect SV from Communist aggression, which was true to a degree.
And the other being China. The Chinese don't give a shit about war because they don't give a shit about their people.
And the Soviets. People forget that the Soviets were supplying both of them and would've joined in. Essentially starting WW3.
Westmorland wanted to invade NV but Johnson said no to any plan that involved it.

I'm actually reading a few books on it right now (at the bottom of pic related).

Attached: books.jpg (3584x3136, 3.21M)

What is this even a chart of? Is it the reading list for alt-lite generals?

I’m not him, but that’s a pretty good list. I’ve read quite a few of them.

lol, it's most of the books I own and some that I've read in the past but no longer own (like the Tom Clancy books and the hunger games which I read for a date).

I agree that there's a lot of good stuff in it, but it's inconsistent. Normally these types of images are recommended reading on a certain topic.

Good taste in military and Jow Forums related literature. But you should for further down into the Jow Forums reading rabbit hole.

You are almost to the truth of the war OP. The reason we didn't invade north Vietnam was because we were afraid of starting a war with China and the Soviets. We fought China in Korea too but refused to invade China because of the threat of war with the Soviets so we conceded to the dmz. That's also why we bombed shit like bridges in north Vietnam instead of the aircraft and armor that were easy ass targets. People love to shit on America about Vietnam but the reality is we neutralized the threat in south Vietnam and reached a truce with the north before withdrawing and leaving a south vietnamese government in charge. Unfortunately due to public opinion in the US politicians refused to retaliate against the invading north and left the south vietnamese there to die. Had we helped them it would have just been a second Korea. It was the cold war, it was all about containing the Soviet influence while avoiding nuclear war.

They did. It's called the Vietnam War and they lost it together with 10000 aircraft.

Attached: mig-21 vietnam.jpg (864x597, 343K)

>they did
Is this bait or are you really that uneducated?

MacArthur could have won and he told you just how he'd do it; Truman was a communist traitor

Not only did they do it and lost, but they also completely fabricated the premise for that war like the universally despised eternally stinky lying warmongering amerisharts that they are.

Attached: flag-of-the-united-states-land-thet-genocide-land-theft-25529835.png (500x344, 45K)

Definitely bait maybe even chink bait but even slants should know that north Vietnam was never invaded. Also nice pic, didn't realize we called Soviet and Chinese trained and equipped troops "farmers", really learn something new every day.

>chink bait
you'll note that green symbolizes the same thing in the PRC's flag

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_War

Didn't want to escalate the war, vietnam war was already unpopular in many camps, fear of China getting involved increasing the death toll and making the war turn into a larger world war. Would have also made U.S seem a bigger aggressor on a world stage causing more political issues etc etc.

Reminder when looking back at Vietnam War that the COIN forces were doing okay until Nixon went into Vietnamization plans. South Vietnam also got fucked over by the oil crisis in 73 since part of vietnamization was using aircraft, but since there was a shortage they couldn't fly as many as they used to which gave the NVA/PLAF a huge advantage and ultimately win the war.

Attached: Australian_soldiers_during_Operation_Enoggera_(AWM_CUN660503VN).jpg (428x637, 163K)

Korea 2.0, the U.S. should have nuked China anyway, but the Commies had infiltrated the Democratic party by then.
>land theft
No.
>Slavery
Literally fought a war to end it.
>Genocide
Disease killed most featherniggers.
>Won against Vietnam
We actually did, The Paris Peace Accords had Vietnam settle a peace agreement.

>See even the Chinese cant beet farmers!
You are a fucking monkey. Throughout the entire war the Chinese and the Soviets were competing to see who would keep Vietnam, which is why you see so many type 56s in PAVN and NLF service. Also its not like the North Vietnamese government wasn`t planning on staying allies with the Chinese, which can be seen through the letters written to Moscow from Hanoi when Nixon went to China. Its funny nowadays to just say "heheheh rice farmers" because that is the only narrative allowed as of now, but the "rice farmer" people talk about usually were Viet Mihn left in South Vietnam at the end of the First Indochina War. Also you talk like the war was completely unjustified, but if it was why did so many Thai volunteers go to fight and die for South Vietnam. You keep on talking about American warmongering but you leave out the Thai, Filpino, South Korean, and the ANZAC "warmongering". What I am trying to say here is you don`t know what you are talking about. Your knowledge of the Vietnam War comes from glorified Facebook memes, and documentaries made by people who couldn't possibly be biased. Its not like most of our entertainment industry is made of draft dodgers.

Hanoi`s War is a glorified 1960s campus speech and ends at 1973. China gave a huge shit about the war which can be seen from the massive amounts of weapons that pored into North Vietnamese ports. There were also plans to just ship shit over the boarder if the ports were mined like what LeMay wanted.

Post pics of your guns with a timestamp.

Hanoi's War is previously unavailable collections of North Vietnamese archives and interviews.

No its not its a book written by Lien-Hang T. Nguyen that is supposed to be a history of the war from the Northern side. It ends at 1973 and also talks about the Soviets for like 10 seconds and barely even mentions the Chinese. All I am saying is, I would try to read some better books about the war.

We could have and should have. Vietnam isn't Korea. Korea was historically much friendlier and the geography of North Korea presents a much higher threat of invasion to the Chinese. A tank army that made it to Pyongyang could make it Beijing in less than a week and literally nothing China could do would be able to stop them since tanks can just drive around conscripts. Viets hate Chinese and always have. Many of their proudest moments in history have been resisting Chinese domination. I goddamn guarantee they would have made peace before allowing Chinese troops in large force just for the risk of those troops never leaving. China would also have cared less because the north of Vietnam is much more easily dispensable.

During the Vietnam war the Soviet Union and the PRC were competing to see who would get Vietnam. The Russian/Chinese was fracturing and China was hoping to get its own puppet government out of it all. If the Soviets did not come and fight I am sure the PRC would not have just left them for dead. Also, the PAVN was a pretty damn advanced army with all of the accordance they were given to them from the Soviets and the PRC. The only thing they lacked was an air force which was made up for by having a very advanced air defense network. IMO the way General Abrams handled the war was the best, and if we would have followed by the Paris Piece Accords South Vietnam would most likely be a country.

>PAVN was a pretty damn advanced army with all of the accordance they were given to them from the Soviets and the PRC
It wouldn't have been enough to withstand an invasion force. The US had just proven its conventional prowess against the vietcong and NVA in the tet offensives and the bombing targets originally avoided in north Vietnam would have crippled the north during an invasion. I do agree with you about the south though.

I think the biggest problem with the idea of an invasion is the fear of an armed Soviet/PRC retaliation, which may or may not have ever happened. When it boils down to it the only thing we can do is speculate. The main thing I was trying to get at about their army was that it would be a challenge even without Soviet/Chinese backing (that being said it would be a much smaller challenge). However if their was a full scale invasion, you could also assume more modern tanks on our side would be used i.e. the m60s. Also, Ordnance* this is why you should not phonepost

Both JKF and LBJ did not want to escalate it to a full scale war but in doing so forced the US into a defensive war which you know in chess and other games if you only play defense you are going lose.

>land theft
>slavery
>genocide
Makes me love being an American tbqh. Too bad this nations gonna fucking collapse in a decade anyway

Attached: 276E0220-D4A4-4AD4-9B3E-A11FE8E43D64.gif (500x350, 1.26M)