Can someone give me a justified reason why the US army adopted this abortion?

Can someone give me a justified reason why the US army adopted this abortion?

Attached: il_794xN.1443553339_lw1d.jpg (794x596, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VJbd0qdmrAg
hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/index.html
infinitioptics.com/vef/load/27df0f9aafd75ed4be8b32674f258896?width=640&height=365
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>A fresh new image, yea that's what we need!

Attached: 773713.jpg (750x445, 38K)

fpbp

mid-2000s was the absolute WORST for trends in case you don't remember. digital camo are you fucking kidding me it's no surprise we dumped woodland for this garbage.

t. wore ACU from 2000s-2010s

to birth the ultimate aesthetic
Ucp with or/ranger green kit

Attached: IMG_1697.jpg (3492x2514, 2.34M)

Digital camo is technically superior. It was the color palate that was unsatisfactory. Don’t blame it

The camo seems to actually work okay in that situation

thats my fav camo.... fag

Attached: S10711070-2.jpg (401x500, 181K)

Same reason Hitler invaded Russia: seemed like a good idea at the time...

Maybe the people designing it only looked at images of terrain that sof was operating in at the time? Afghanistan mountains covered in shale, during the winter.
idk man, the only thing universal about it, is that you stick out everywhere, at least terrestrially lol

They could probably wear bright red and fair no different

Money, dear boy. Money.

Attached: Stylin' steampunk Squirtle.jpg (523x523, 25K)

You have to understand the way statistics works and how policy is made.

They wanted ONE uniform that was capable of performing in EVERY environment to save money. Crucially, this includes urban, snow and gravel types and every environment was given equal consideration. So while multicam is superb in all vegetation, desert and mountainous terrain the Army is otherwise actually operating in, as you can imagine it scored almost nothing in those others. Meanwhile while UCP scores poorly in most terrain, it at least gets points across the board. So when an ORSA calculates all the scores, guess what? UCP ended up the winner despite the common sense approach that environments where the Army actually operates should have been weighted more heavily. And to the policy makers that have no clue nor care how camouflage works, all they know is they are going to save moneys by being able to consolidate uniforms.

tl;dr fuck soldiers; save moneys

and in a city that dont have painted houses probably will

aka never

My theory is recruiting. Most people actually avoid the military during war. The Army spent a ton of money to come up with MultiCam, but were worried it wasn't cool enough for recruiting. At this point some general tried for form over function. He tried to make a unique digital pattern to compete with the Marines. This nightmare is what he and his staff came up. How they chose it we may never know because it was done after the selection process.

it matched the drapes

Except those concrete bricks are only used in America. Rest of the world uses the red ones and arabs use the tan ones.
Also that cement is too blueish. And American buildings are rarely made of it without paint over.

I think even the North Korea green pajamas are a better camo.

it goes like this

the Marines adopted digital camo and theirs was actually pretty decent. crucially, they had three different patterns for different environments. (they got it from the Canadians but we don't talk about that)

the Army wanted a cool new camo pattern too because they have a deep-seated inferiority complex about not being as awesome as the Marines, going back to at least WW2. but they couldn't just take the pattern directly because of a bunch of inter-service rivalry horseshit that makes our military weaker for no fucking reason. so instead they changed the color palate and passed it off as a cost savings measure

unfortunately the change was terrible and the underlying concept of a camo pattern that works in every environment is pants-on-head tarded. but hey, it's not even 1% as much money as they wasted on FCS, so whatever

Attached: MARPAT.png (601x599, 403K)

>tl;dr
Marines do shit right.

except the Marines wouldn't let the Army just use the same fucking patterns because reeee muh elite farce

This, let each branch decide what cut/fit/material they want for their uniforms but force them to use the same types of camouflage.

Obviously there are exceptions like flight suits, firefighting stuff for the Navy, ect. But there is literally no reason for all branches to not have the same patterns for their basic "combat" uniforms.

It's such a retarded petty thing.

Do you know a copyright is? The Marine Corps requested that the Army pay for the development costs, but the Army reeeeee'd the fuck out and then fucked everything up. The Army has a wonderful and time honored tradition of fucking up EVERY development program ever, requiring the Marines to either unfuck or adopt something better.

But we should blame Canada first and foremost

>Inter service rivalries are ok when the crayon eaters do it.

I'm not trying to say the Army isn't retarded and petty, but the Marines are not helping anything by playing the "my own club house" game.

Marpat is fucking good, if it's helps your (more) brain damaged siblings out by sharing it then why not do it.

Remember when the Army wasted further money by doubling-down?

Attached: 4206229541_b18dc3243e_o.jpg (1024x768, 348K)

the idea that the Marines can "copyright" something so that the Army can't use it is absolutely laughable

Delta unironically was an improvement though, his pants blend in with the landscape behind him.
All in all, the Army should’ve tweaked the unused urban Marpat with ranger green and call it a day instead of having 3 active camo patterns and pay royalties to (((Crye)))

Which is funny because when I was younger I specifically didn't want to join the army because I thought their uniforms were fucking retarded

Attached: 1552017403144.jpg (1501x1556, 1.39M)

youtu.be/VJbd0qdmrAg

Still not as retarded as navy camouflage.

Attached: 61ivQVfPHiL.jpg (493x500, 74K)

>the navy felt the need for camp on anyone who wasn’t oper8n onna shore

If they did it for the SEALS, yeah, sure, maybe. But when in the history of every have seamen needed camo?

Milfag here, the camo turns fucking white after like 5 washed. The uniform itself is baggy, it overall looks disgusting it looks like a bakers outfit. The camo, in a iraqi style urban environment blends in fairly well. But in woodland, forest, jungle, etc, its a gray blob that stands out terribly. So in essense, there was soldiers with baggy, terrible fitting white uniforms standing out like white blobs in the forest. Thats why we dumped it. The army is always trying to re-invent the wheel, so they thought they could create a camo pattern that isnt found anywhere in nature and makes no actual sense. It was a one size fits all philosophy. Which in camouflage, there is no such thing.

Attached: thenegro.png (819x460, 184K)

The original concept for the NWU actually looked kind of cool though. Still pointless but at least looks decent.
IMO digital camos just look retarded in general except for MARPAT Desert. I know the Airman Battle Uniform pattern is kind of pixel-y, but it looks way less retarded than UCP despite having the same color scheme.

Attached: nwuconcept.jpg (1500x2143, 1.81M)

How can they copyright a pattern that's already copyrighted?

>inferiority complex about not being as awesome as the Marines, going back to at least WW2

You sound like a Marine that's still butthurt the Army conducted the biggest amphibious invasion in human history.

Worked well innacity innairaq

What was retarded was going away from old school BDUs. The Marines wanted some slick look, well that's tough titty. They should have mandated all services have the same battle dress. Regarding the old BDUs, ok so black sticks out? Then replace it with tan for a green, brown tan look. Or replace it with a clay red. Regardless the idea that the military needs pixelated garbage is nonsense. Doubly so when it includes kit. Plate carriers and web hear should have stayed OD or brown. It would have been a more professional force without all the shenanigans of the 2000s

Attached: 154930371754611.png (414x419, 273K)

I want to go back bros

Attached: f3cc02cc3431f9392fdbcab0f7771ff9.jpg (352x500, 46K)

What a hell of an aesthetic. Should have never left

Let's not forget the supposed desert brush camo, that actually works pretty good

Attached: 20130602-205031.jpg (440x440, 82K)

You guys are retarded, the apex is now.

Attached: Robot-Ninjas-From-Outer-Space.jpg (1440x720, 535K)

Yeah because they specifically designed that training area the same color as UCP so it wouldn’t look like a waste of money. Hardly any urban area on Earth is that color. Certainly not enough places to base your camouflage around.

Coming from the branch that adopted the M27

They're both part of the same organization, you tard. What kind of shitty government lets one branch "copyright" shit for another?

UCP-D is unironically decent

Coming from the branch that made the m16a2 this is hilarious

Why do troll threads always show brand new, clean uniforms. Acu's are fine after a few days of dirt and dust.

>ACU works as intended, you only need to cover it entirely with foreign material
Even a plain pink uniform would be serviceable once it has been daubed in the local mud

t. Russian Army in Syria

Chinese marine is even more retarded

Attached: chinko camo.jpg (857x593, 96K)

>entirely with foreign material
It's called 'dirt'. Stop being a faggot. I'm not talking about something unusual or abnormal. Getting dirty is what happens in the field. Does /k think Joe has access to a washing machine or more than a few sets of uniforms in the field? And guess what, even after you wash them they will be stained.
But all I ever see in troll threads are brand new uniforms on operators trying to look cool.
The guy who picked acu's did so because Soldiers wear combat uniforms in garrison for some retarded reason, and he thought it would look cool. Same mindset as everyone in this thread. Gay.

UCP is my favourite color.

Attached: me.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

>Does /k think Joe has access to a washing machine

well do you remember the issue with army washing their shit with optical brighteners which made UCP stand out so much? yes, the early WoT was a rad time. good times.

There is one minor merit for camo patterns for sailors - camo hides minor oils stains & the like really well, which is handy for the lower enlisted when some chief or officer decides to get stupid over people doing dirty jobs getting dirty.

On the flipside though, these naval camo patterns look like a major safety hazard in man-overboard scenarios. If I were in charge of naval uniform development I would looks into fluorescent yellows, bright reds, and oranges for the actual work uniform.

I've heard the blue camo turns orange on contact with salt water. No idea if true though

Here's the history:
hyperstealth.com/camo-improvement/index.html
Basically, they statistically analyzed the performance of several patterns and color combinations. They chose the pattern that performed the best and the colors that were common to the combinations that all performed the best, and left it at that. They DIDN'T test the new pattern and color combination together AT ALL. Each color came from the combinations that performed best, but they didn't think to check how they performed together, so they wound up with not enough contrast, resulting in a grey-green blob beyond a few meters.

>ACU

except it under preformed in every environment compared to multicam except under night vision, where even then it was still shit.

literally just a case of bureaucrats giving contracts on the basis of favours.

Army didnt develop multicam retard.

i don't see him

You're right, they worked with Crye on Scorpion. What a retarded move conflating them. youtu.be/VJbd0qdmrAg

>Do you know a copyright is?
Completely ineffective as far as the armed forces are concerned. If I deliver my own pizzas wearing a Dominos uniform, I'll be in court until I'm bankrupt. Some guy wants to larp as ex-military (stolen valor), but DoD can't say "Can't wear our uniforms and insignia because copyright."

now do 70 pushups.

Thanks for linking what is obviously the only piece of research you have done on the topic. Retards like you that toss this second hand info with no base knowledge of the topic is what ruined this board.

>Except those concrete bricks are only used in America.
Probably need to get some spray paint and graffiti all the uniforms to blend in.

Literally took me like 30 seconds to see him and even then I only found him because of the yellow on his patch

It's nonsense.

>Rhodesian Brush strokes 2.0
Shit guys, we missed out.

It had to adopt the worst so that it could adopt the best.

Attached: 1477839018456.jpg (1000x1000, 131K)

Except Scorpion isn't the best and British MTP is

Navy should have just made their coveralls the standard working uniform. Subs already did/do that.

Attached: US_Navy_090108-N-3333H-007_Sailors_share_a_moment_before_getting_underway_aboard_the_Virginia-class_ (3751x2651, 2.74M)

Okay, so why not make it dirt colored to begin with?

thats what afghanistan looked like?

Afganistan is shit brown, not puke green

>the idea that the Marines can "copyright" something so that the Army can't use it is absolutely laughable
It's honestly the most burger thing ever

Attached: 1554236757119.jpg (1500x1500, 344K)

Correct, except Army has had an inferiority complex since at least WW1

>M16A2
>M27
>Copyright
>muh EGA
>muh white sleeve rolls
Yeah, they're the ones with the inferiority complex.

Dirt can have different colors in different areas, you know.

this user is an example of army butthurt

>a rifle
>another rifle
>a symbol
>a style based in tradition
how is any of that related to inferiority complex? the owning and refusal to share marpat is pretty much all you got and they could just pull a navy and make their own VERY similar design with slightly different colors, and then put tiny army logos throughout for shits n giggles.

> a camo pattern that works in every environment

But in particular, it has to work in congress.

Attached: img_2130.jpg (3648x2736, 2.41M)

>thinking either are bad
Ian plz.

All these replies and nobody has actually said the magical words: Near Infrared.

UCP was chosen because it was the "best" all-terrain *and* anti-NIR pattern the Army tested. MARPAT is decent against the naked eye but won't help you against night vision. Contemporary "night" patterns like Night Desert were even worse than useless. UCP, on the other hand is the best anti-NOD camo in widespread use.

UCP was a solution to 2050's problems fielded in 2005. Its greatest crime was being designed for a high-tech enemy during a war against 7th century pederasts.

so what you're saying is it was a stupid fucking decision considering the enemy of the time?
marpat is basically the opposite of what you just said.
meh for infrared (still an effect tho) but great for naked eye.

I think you're looking for the coast guard

It's wiser for an army to invest for a big war (high costs for defeat) than optimize for a small one (low cost for defeat).

> UCP was a solution to 2050's problems fielded in 2005.

Which completely misses the point of camoflage.

The idea that an army should pick a standarized camoflage, and universally adopt it, is rediculous. Camoflage must always be appropriate to the setting and circumstances of the conflict.

When we aren't in conflict, the uniform should simply be a uniform, and it need not have any camoflage qualities.

Attached: Pink-and-Greens.jpg (800x554, 104K)

yeah it sure paid off in the longrun didn't it?

>Near Infrared.
infinitioptics.com/vef/load/27df0f9aafd75ed4be8b32674f258896?width=640&height=365

Attached: 330px-Maskowanie.jpg (330x263, 25K)

UCP was the least of the bad decisions made by a rootless Army since the Cold War ended.

How about you suck on your own sanctimonious farts faggot. I lived through the adoption of each camo and followed them with great interest as only an autist could. But seizing upon pedantic shit like that seems like I should hand my crown to you.

>this includes urban, snow and gravel types
>snow
There is no way they would use that thing in snow... r-right?

Why are you posting trees?

That looks comfy

I don't care to read the thread but the correct answer is shitty upper management and money.

That was the whole point of UCP with the whole emphasis on the universal part. One pattern, one uniform for EVERY terrain. But UCP actually isnt terrible in snow. Not GOOD but not as awful as a dedicated forest or desert pattern is.

Because people who complained about that never operated in this.

Attached: acu-mountain.jpg (468x468, 50K)

RC East was a rocky bullshit that you wish you never took part in.

>Hurr durr it works great in this one single mountain pass

Attached: Pasha_Mercedes.jpg (620x388, 53K)

And coincidentally where the US was fighting when it adopted UCP.

>Hurr Durr single mountain pass.

4th Brigade 25th ID wanna talk to you real quick.

Attached: 4-25th1.jpg (1200x800, 122K)

it was supposed to be a universal camoflauge