AR-15 Entry Level Forever? AR-18 Doomed?

I'm asking this question because I honestly don't know, despite years of looking into this.

Considering that the AR-15 is now around 500 dollars easily, and there are plenty of high quality models at 700 or good condition used models below 500... Is it possible for the AR-18 or any other comparable weapon to ever be competitive on a cost or manufactured numbers basis in the modern era?

A good AK in the US is like 800-1000 dollars, and outside of reliability it's going to be a worse weapon in all respects.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com2.jpg (4608x3072, 3.43M)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/7b8jm1/what_would_stoner_do_if_he_was_cheap/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The AR-15 is an appliance rifle for people who want a gun that's accurate, reliable, etc. and don't care about anything else. It's the Glock 19 of rifles, and that's fine.

After the WWSD project finished, it became possible for a 800 dollar AR-15 to be better then guns twice as expensive.

The AR-15 is breaking my mind.

The WWSD rifle was really cool, but it cost a lot more than $800.

You can buy a

>Is it possible for the AR-18 or any other comparable weapon to ever be competitive on a cost or manufactured numbers basis in the modern era?
I don't think so. CNC manufacturing has gotten so cheap and commonplace that it largely pushed out stamped guns. Notice how most new rifles are milled aluminum and polymer. In the future we might see better all-polymer designs. That could possibly undercut cheap milled aluminum. But for now it's all ARs. It has the market traction and parts can be manufactured by many companies

>appliance rifle for people who want a gun that's accurate, reliable, etc. and don't care about anything else.
not OP but thanks for this post

Uh, the Scar and Japs are keeping Ar-18's alive. AR-15 seems to be it until they change calibers or even types of ammo, at that point who knows what will happen? Or when that might happen.

Attached: original.jpg (2250x1501, 2.48M)

Ive wanted an AK underfolder as a first rifle since forever, now that I'm finally in the market and looking seriously it's impossible to justify with the glut of high quality ARs stocked in every store. I'm probably gonna buy a 499 Sport II and die a little inside.

just get the undafolda you bitch

this, it doesn't matter if it's expensive to buy, expensive to feed, if you truly want it you won't regret it

The barrel, lower receiver, basic parts, free float furniture, and free float barrel were under 800 dollars put together.

reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/7b8jm1/what_would_stoner_do_if_he_was_cheap/

AKs that cost 700, like the RAS-47 fall apart before 5,000 rounds.

SCAR is a gucci gun
Type 89 is ordered in such small lots it costs .mod.jp gucci gun prices for the best rifle of 1975

You mean the BREN CZ 2 right?

Meanwhile WASR goes 10,000 without issue. What can we learn? Buy American AR, not AK.

The AR-15 has such a massive economy of scale and aftermarket in the US that I don't see how any comparable rifle would be able to compete with it price wise. There are companies with the sole purpose of churning out receiver forgings or bolts and bolt carriers. I think it would require the US military to adopt a rifle (to create enough demand since people like owning what the military uses), that is significantly better, that is simpler to manufacture, somehow wasn't patented so anybody could make it, and doesn't require insurmountable start up costs.

This. Although desu keep your eyes peeled on that PSAK. I doubt it'll run as good as a WASR but it seems to be holding its own so far.

Is the Galil Ace Aluminum and Polymer?

Yes.

The AR-18? That's not even fourth or fifth on the list of AR-15 alternatives out there. It'd be well behind the Garand family (Mini, M1A, Carbine, Garand), the SKS, the AK, the PC Carbine, and the Sub2K.

The WWSD is an interesting build but it is full of Faxon garbage, and the GWACs lower has been out of production for over a year now with promises of an update broken. It's something that should inspire your builds but should not be copied verbatim.

PSA Gen 2 passed the 5K test, I wished Rob went a 5K more

Neither. It’s a milled steel receiver with a plastic insert that forms the pistol grip. The 7.62x39 doesn’t need the lower and it acts more or less like a magazine guide. It can function fine wihout it and even fit og galil furniture. The 5.56 and 7.62 NATO variants, however, need those inserts as they hold the magazine.

Is it made via CNC machine?
>Is full of pencil barrel that shoots 1MOA and doesn't have deviation even when hot
>G36 and early AR-10 hated by troops because pencil barrel gets hot too fast, then droops.
So tell me, how cheap is meth?

what companies make decent ARs that are 'cheap'?

I mean brownels has rheirnar180 upper. Maybe it will become successful overtime.

>So tell me, how cheap is meth?
depends on the quality and if your dealer is using what they're selling

What if we made an AR-15 that looked like a Galil Ace, with only the outside and the gas system being the same?

I'm sure the company that bought all of Cavarms's tooling and has never had to R&D molds before will have their Mk3 lower ready to go any day now.

AR15's can fire 20,000 rounds, AK47's can only do 5,000 rounds before their rail cracks.

Monolithic AK receiver is a disadvantage in all of murica, an AR upper can simply be swapped out.

Underfolder is alright. Doesn't work for mags larger than 30, the foregrip is wobbly as fuck folded, it's alright when it's out and the retaining pins are fond of falling out. Way better than a romy made for a child soldier tho.

It's more of an issue with the bolt, I think.

Yeah on economy of scale but if murica invented the AK we'd be seeing them for $200.

I think the cam pin on the AR is the weak point, ignoring the ridiculous gas system.

AK rails also include the extractor. Shits made out of sheet metal, only paperwork is making them expensive in murica.

It costs Cugir about $240 to pop out a WASR. The rest is tax, tariff, fees, and Century being kikes.

>wasr goes 10k without issue
Lmaooooooooooo next you'll say the c308 isn't a piece of shit

Have you not seen the video?
The weakpoint on the AK is the bolt.

>So tell me, how cheap is meth?
I wouldn't know.

I do know I've spent good money with faxon and for my money I got parts with shit fitment and comcast customer service.

PSA, Smith and Wesson

> AK47's can only do 5,000 rounds before their rail cracks.
What retard? AKs can do 100k before the rails crack fucking brainlet.

I've seen them crack of less then 5,000, over and over.

Stop looking at American AKs

>that shit
>better than a $1600 AR
ok retard

what about ruger?

>Guns
>Not other AR
>Other guns, clearly
Made by who?

Made by me... maybe someday.

Attached: 1553477961525.jpg (768x1024, 456K)

>A good AK in the US is like 800-1000 dollars, and outside of reliability it's going to be a worse weapon in all respects.

And gas piston ARs exist.

What retarded rock are you living under? This isn't some controversial opinion, it's video-documented proof.
> you'll say the c308 isn't a piece of shit
Century produced/assembled =/=century imported. Century imports the WASR. They only mill out the magwell, and now that they have proper machines instead of drunks with dremels, they don't fuck that up.

C308's are shit because century does a few welds on them and is making them from used parts kits, and deciding which pieces to QC reject. They don't do any of that on WASRs.

>glock 19
>ar-15
>civic si
cheap, reliable, decent performance, massive aftermarket

>Buy 500 dollar AR in 7.62x39mm
>Replace gas-system
>AK's cry because lonelyness
>Profit

Do it. Listen to these anons.
I had choice of bitcoin at $800 or milled underfolder. I figured if bitcoin did go up in price I would never have chance to pick out the best milled AK underfolder out 15 milled underfolders in front of me. Worth it, especially how hard it is to find good and proper AK that was not molested.

AR-15s perform a lot better then Glocks.

battlefield vegas's wasrs run without issues until around 70k rounds

>AK rails also include the extractor. Shits made out of sheet metal, only paperwork is making them expensive in murica.

how does the ak rail pull rounds out of the chamber?

>things that never happened.

RAS 47's don't count

>a pistol out-performing a pistol
quite the stretch, user

Attached: 1553142377226.jpg (199x200, 7K)

I'm retarded, meant to greentext
>a rifle outperforming a pistol

I'm retarded, I can't into today
>a rifle out-performing a pistol

>not all centuries are ghey

Attached: D33CE014-701C-4104-A097-AB8AD926072F.jpg (3264x2448, 1.8M)

Are you ok retard?

Attached: CE510D3B-9E3A-4E50-8C66-12C1260A2F8B.jpg (480x581, 65K)

i'm on an anime weapons board, mate. you tell me

Okay retard

You know those things on the bolt that help it lockup and look like those bits on gears?

Those are designed in such a way, that they are a critical weakpoint, every modern bolt isn't like that anymore.

Video came out in the last week, can't for the life of me remember what it's called.

>2019
>buying a longboi AR
shoulder guns with barrels longer than 12" are obsolete

M10 DIY, 500 buckaroos and you were already going to replace the shit century playdough furniture anyway.

Attached: 1271358383.jpg (458x247, 212K)

>Shitty AKS length gas system and sights.

PSA. Check out the premium selection for FN CHF barrels.

That's what killed it for me.

I meant to say AKSU.

Are there still places that could have an easier time just making huge stamping factories, over places with CNC machines?

Maybe the third world as it industrializes?

The short gas system means less mass out front to slow the gun down and fuck up the balance, and it's 2019 so nobody cares how long the sight radius on your backup irons is.
The short gas system also means that you can either build it as a rifle or cut the barrel as short as you want and build it up as a pistol/SBR.

Strictly speaking, AKSU sights would be an "improvement", since the AKSU rear is canilevered back over the receiver dust cover for a longer sight radius.

stamping is just 1950s injection molding
nobody's gonna spend $$$$$$$ tooling up to compete with Cugir, etc. when they could spend the same moeny making plastic garbage instead

>battleshill vegas
I own a wasr and its a piece of shit. I dont care what any of you meme parrots say. Everything century touches is shit.

accurate. If you're gunna spend money milling stamping dies you could spend the same money milling injection mold dies.

Some small operations might choose stamping since it's easier to halfass the equipment. Or existing stamping companies like Masterpiece Arms. But most companies will just contract out the injection molded polymer.

>milled underfolder
I am not sure this even exists. Just get a wasr.

the AR 18 system is still relevant if you're trying to make a short barrel AR or if you want to suppress stuff. not to mention the G36, L85, SCAR, CZ Bren, M27 IAR, and HK 416 are totally alive and doing really well.

>buy an AR is 7.62x39
>have to buy ugly as fuck non bakelite mags that cost more than steel ak mags
>bolt lugs are known to break off with even small round counts

Explain.

you can just get a receiver and the expensive parts and then get something like an AK 63DS which is sub $600 as of right now. or you could do the reverse and get a basic bitch AR and a Hungarian AK 63 underfolding AK parts kit (which is about $300 with all parts minus barrel and receiver).

>rheirnar180
Did you have a stroke, buddy? Like, not making fun. Are you okay?

Fuck I hate trying to post links.

Attached: brownells.png (357x200, 5K)

"their ar180"
he doesn't have brain problems, just sausage fingers

Short gas systems lead to problems.

We've seen the tests.

All those guns are expensive and worse, or expensive and only slightly better.

Oh, "problems". That changes EVERYTHING.

Attached: 21246026344_ccfae54bd0_b.jpg (1024x680, 186K)

Think about how much longer the gas system should be.

Do you know how long it took them to get gas systems of that length to be reliable?

Actually, now that you mention it, that's a full-length AK gas system.
It just looks shorter because of the front sight gas block.

too fucking long, considering that all they needed to do was run a 5 oz. buffer like the M16 has and open up the gas port a litttle

this has GOT to be BAIT.
There are Soviet era AKM's still in servix in AFG
GTFO

>milled underfolder
>I am not sure this even exists
Yeah not in today’s market. Bulgarian, Chinese, Yugo just to name a few for ones can get. Don’t see many come up any more.

Must suck that people like will never know and experience non-american AKs

why they don't make this a "pistol" or virgin receiver, i don't know. I probably would have bought one if i knew i could cut down the barrel.

because Century

Import laws, probably.