How did you get good at shooting?

How did you get good at shooting?
My folks never took me shooting and generally had no interest in firearm ownership or skills. Not that they were against it.
I'm interested though. I want to get a long gun in 30-06, a revolver in .45, a shotgun, and an AK-47 or an AR15.
How do I get good with these? Obviously practice but there's gotta be some fundamentals and troubleshooting. Other skills I need like cleaning and maintaining my equipment?
Where did you pick the skills up, if not from parents or mentors?

Attached: Neoliberalism.png (1479x764, 965K)

bump

bump

Attached: Knight in armor.jpg (405x637, 42K)

I can't say I ever got good (but maybe I will one day), but I'd suggest starting with something like Project Appleseed.

You can drop a lot more money on much higher-speed training and who knows, maybe I will one day, but for an environment where you can practice the basics with quick feedback while working towards a well-established standard, Appleseed is, so to speak, your huckleberry.

bb gun
waifu bought me first handgun
spent thousands of $$$on ammo
no biggie, can do smiley face leathal weapon style
9wsve

So I should pay for a class rather than try to self-teach?
My fear is enforcing shitty habits through lots of practice without coaching or self-taught guide.

>maintenance
>troubleshooting
gun manuals talk about how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble a particular gun model, also talks a bit about troubleshooting or how to handle issues like FTF or FTE

>fundamentals
you could also look up articles or youtube videos on stuff like gun basics or gun cleaning basics or how to sight a rifle

people at the range tend to be pretty chill and friendly, you could ask them for tips like on shooting stance or sighting a gun

You’re right on this. Research and learn the fundamentals. Take a class for handgun and a class for rifle. Make sure that your instructor is teaching the fundamentals that you researched. Think about the fundamentals with every shot you take. There are a ton of things to think about, like your stance, grip, breathing, aiming, and trigger pull, so having someone to teach you and get you started is a good thing. I’d recommend doing the classes, then shooting on your own for a while, then doing another set of classes later to make sure you have been doing things right.

For handguns, I like to shoot a magazine then dry fire a few times. The goal is to pull the trigger, but not have the sights move. You can do this at home too, it really helps improve your trigger pull for free. I also like randomly loading a snap cap into my magazine so I can see if I’m flinching.

If you’re shooting without practicing the fundamentals, you’re just shooting. You are not improving and you are not practicing.

Just go watch YouTube videos, don’t waste money on high speed training programs. Buy ammo, do like one class and then practice a lot.

>my experience
Started with a fuddish dad who only had a hunting rifle and old revolver rarely shooting either. Neither of us could hit vitals past 50 yards free hand but naturally benched was easy to 300 yards. With the pistol, outside of 10 yards was a joke.
I lurked here to bring my interest to specific topics rarely trusting anons, googled information I needed, and watched youtube videos on maintenance, troubleshooting, and most importantly PROPER FORM. For marksmenship, form is everything and you will suck free styling it even with years more experience to someone who practiced proper form from day one. Not sure what the rifle techniques are called but for autoloading pistols for example youll want to practice either weaver or isosceles (pick one stick with it) and the thumbs forward grip; youtube them.
What combo'd great off the videos was having cheap to shoot guns 223, 7.62x39, 9mm. I couldnt feel my wallet draining as quickly when I pulled the trigger.
With my newfound knowledge I was able to get my dad shooting vitals to 200 yards free handing pretty quickly and Im pretty satisfied with myself.

Any recs on specific videos or would just a general search do fine?

Just watch lucas botkin of t-rex arms. He is the beat shooter i have seen

It went much the same as learning any other sport as an adult. Paid for lessons. Started with learning the fundamentals, quickly turned into homework I had to work on in my own time at home or time alone at the range.

Once you get past a certain level, the most a trainer is going to be able to do is fix your fuckups and recommend further refinements you'll have to work on yourself.

Start with a few videos from the likes of Hickock45 on safe handling, avoiding muzzle sweeps etc.
Other than that most of it is gun specific.

I would also add that tracking your progress with a timer and targets is absolutely critical. Nobody serious about lifting weights would waste a trip to the gym because they don't know how much they're trying to increase their sets, reps, or weights.

Competition is also wonderful for getting a good idea of what other people are capable of, along with pussing you off to put in more reps.

A .22 rifle and handgun are great starting points to really help you pin down the fundamentals without developing a flinch or bad habits. plus .22 is a small enough round that your targets will last a lot longer with you being able to pinpoint exactly what you are doing behind the trigger because you will be able to put many more rounds in a target to see whats happening.

Join the military

I've got shit going on, I'll wait until they don't give me an option

I highly recommend getting an airsoft, BB gun or pellet gun for practice. They're cheap as fuck to shoot, you can practice indoors or in your backyard, which gives you more practice time than going to the range. And: because bb/pellet guns are so slow (muzzle velocity) compared to a real gun, they really force you to focus on your grip/hold and teach you not to jerk the trigger. You can much more easily "pull" a shot off to the side with a BB gun than with a real gun.

22s are also great for practice, and they're fun as fuck to shoot. I think every gun owner should have at least one 22 handgun and rifle.

Manuals will tell you how to strip and clean your gun. Like another user said, youtube is a good reference for this as well. None of it is hard: you keep your shit clean, and you keep moving parts lubricated. Not difficult.

Agreed 100%.

I honestly just end up shooting my .22's more than anything when we go out shooting and most everybody I shoot with does too.

Basically our shoots are just .22 and skeet shooting with some big nice guns thrown in here and there

>2011
>never have I ever fired anything prior
>enlist
>get thrown an M4 in basic
>get block of instrucrions on how to shoot properly
>cant shoot shit with how I was shown
>squad mate is a gun smith back home
>he corrects me in my mistakes
>he only asked to swap adjustable stocks on our rifles in return since mine was in better condition
>get to my unit
>get thrown an M249
>run the serial on my weapon
>it was manufactired on the tail end of nam
>shit is barely holding together
>put work order in on it
>nothong gets done
>decide to "fix" what I could with all the 550 chord and duct tape I had
>it amazingly held
>could finally hit the targets further out on range day

Honestly should have kept in touch with him. And as far as the M249 goes, the bipod wouldbt sit right, the sling clilp was busted, and the cover plate wouldnt sit flat. It was ugly as sin, but worked.

I am 100% verified to be the most highly skilled shooter on Jow Forums with the only one capable of hand gun rapid fire on a man-sized target at 50 yards let alone 25 yards so please hear me out.

The best way of getting gud is to get a .22 pistol like a Buckmark or Mark IV or SW22, and commit yourself to shooting AT LEAST a brick per week, better yet two, AND shooting at steel targets for audible confirmation of hits. Keep practicing until your legend becomes known and they ban you from public places for being “a living weapon”.

Attached: 433388C8-BA94-4EEF-B14B-11B47284B8AC.png (640x640, 407K)

all the military stories I've heard make it sound so shitty and disorganized

When I first started shooting I generally did it just for the feeling of firing a gun. I was entirely interested in hitting the target ... maybe in the general direction but marksmanship wasn't that important to me.

As I got older marksmanship became important. I bought my first gun (used Glock 19) and dry fired it whenever I was watching TV or had time.

>Line up sights
>Aim at person on the screen
>Press
>Click
>Reset

I've been dry firing my guns for the good part of the past 10 years. At least once a week. I constantly practice my grip and have turned it into muscle memory.

Then when I go to the range I start with marksmanship then move to more dynamic stuff.

If you are truly truly interested in getting good you will find a way. Buy a gun then spend the rest of your money on ammo or range fees then practice practice practice.

As for cleaning and maintaining? Youtube. Do a basic take-down of your weapon, look at the parts, see how they work, figure out their names, then put it back together. Then repeat over and over.

It isn't difficult to become good and proficient. I'd say I'm a good shooter and great with my equipment; however it took me years to get good. I'd say I'm addicted and obsessed with staying proficient and on top of my game.

I buy guns.

I buy ammo.

I practice.

>simple

By shooting at tin cans. You shoot at a paper target, then go over and look at it later, you remain puzzled as to which shots were bullseyes and which were fliers. Even with a spotting scope it's a bit difficult.

You hit a soup can and BLING your whole nervous system lights up. You know exactly what you did right in that instant. It's fun, it's exciting. You want to do it again.

So go out innawoods or to a shooting range that allows reactive targets and shoot at coffee cans and the like.

How do you guys find good spots out in the middle of nowhere for shooting? How do you determine whether an area is private property or not, etc.? Aren't you making a shit ton of noise and won't someone come see what's going on? Sounds like heaven compared to a range but I don't know where to even start as far as finding a spot goes.

i got tired of missing deer and getting made fun of lmao

If you live out west look up BLM land.

You are fucking retarded

Oh boy it’s this ego maniac again

Attached: B9C41F2C-3B0F-40CD-A4BB-58D4CFF04926.png (500x339, 23K)

But he's absolutely right, the only thing you could say against it is "shooting plate is better"

Pretty much buy an AR, get 4-5 mags, and maybe 500 rounds of ammo then go watch some youtube vids
few. What you wanna remember for shooting is get your target in view, breathe out, and squeeze the trigged.

This, to a point. Steel is great for telling you that you hit. But once you're keeping them all on target, you're going to have to posh those B-x paper targets out there unless you want to spraypaint your plates a between groups to see your max spread.