Cowboy General

Episode #3 - Shameless Shill Taylor’s a Best Edition

Old Thread

Attached: BD35A805-5DF8-4045-A849-54B48C8CF77C.jpg (320x380, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zVUb6vybexw
youtube.com/watch?v=M4BJes4tPs4
gunbroker.com/item/806268370
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why are places out of roundball stock so frequently? Who is buying all of the musket balls??

For some reason, when I get a cowboy gat in my hands it automatically wants to shoot one-handed. I've got a 1911, and I tend to default to weaver stance with it, but when I shoot an old west style revolver I twist my body all the way around and hold my gun hand out as far away as I can to shoot one-handed like I'm fucking Wyatt Earp or something. And only with old west style revolvers, not modern ones like GP100s, or Charter Arms Bulldogs, or Smith and Wesson model 10s. Getting an SAA clone in my hands just turns me into an infinitely less talented Hickok45

Even I am not retarded enough to try that with ammo in the gun.
But even then, my Marlin has a crossbolt safety and my finger is never in the trigger guard.

Attached: 43313658_2236762409676858_553661652852015104_n.jpg (768x960, 76K)

Is there any mechanical advantage a single action has over a double action like stronger frame by inherent design?

Nope. Anything a SA can do a DA/SA can do. DAO is a different story.

Well, you can fan it which you can't do with a DA gun.
Admittedly only useful for LARPing, but that's SA guns for you.

Mechanical simplicity, and you can give them very nice and crisp triggers.
But then, DA can have a nice trigger too.

>two long arms
>two single action pistols
Based.

Attached: 1544861045940.jpg (533x524, 29K)

I HAVE A PLAN ARTHUR

Attached: 25B9AAA0-8F08-46D9-8187-CDA87CDFAF22.jpg (1242x1095, 276K)

>implying you should ever shoot a Model 10 with two hands

um yeah double actions are gay

Attached: 049E0992-9645-4131-8C36-238922E9399C.jpg (200x262, 13K)

i guess now's as good of a time as any for a family picture. top to bottom.

left: s&w 586, 39m, 39a, 1897, 30-30, 35 rem
right: 357, 41, 44, 44, 444, 45-70

Attached: IMG_0529.jpg (4032x3024, 2.82M)

>tfw after a month of waiting for my Uberti Cattleman my gunstore called back to ask me how important the "Uberti" name was to have labeled on the gun itself, and I told them "uhhh...not really?" and they said "oh then we can get it within 5 business days"
I WAITED A MONTH FOR WHAT I COULD HAVE HAD IN A FUCKING WEEK
JUST

Attached: 1873-cattleman-new-model-inox_114409_1350522.png (1500x820, 395K)

>t. proud owner of a Ubertee Battleman
wear eyepro and gloves, user

can I get a rundown on cowboy/indian/western knives and axes

I wear glasses already, and I got earmuffs and earplugs
I'm just pissed I didn't say "Taylor's" or "Cimarron", they thought I desperately needed the Uberti label on it instead of the importer's

... I'm feeling a tingle down there.
And a bit of shame, considering I only have a 22 levergat.

Anyone here have a Virginia Dragoon?

Attached: Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 Mag.jpg (704x556, 60K)

Might as well ask here. Vaquero in 357 or Redhawk in 357? The 8 round capacity is pretty appealing but it does not look cowboy enough. What would be easier to conceal?

New vaquero in 45 LC or you're a faggot

.357 Magnum is a better cartridge.

It's a big iron. Looks better blued than stainless, has 'liberty forever' engraved on the bottom of the grip frame.

Probably easier to find a cheaper Ruger or some such but revolver is fine.

I think you're a bit backwards there. Very few people buy it, so they don't order much.

Make sure to inspect the bore before you do.

Most of them are perfectly fine, but some of the early ones were completely out of spec, where a .44 caliber bullet would just rattle down the bore without any resistance, meaning any off the shelf .44 Magnum or .44 Special would just group awfully.
For some of these, it's not too bad and this could be addressed with handloading and using larger sized projectiles (assuming you could fit them), but for a few it's hopeless and you'd basically have no option but getting something like a rifled sleeve fitted in the barrel.

Attached: 1100036 dragoon-full.jpg (1280x914, 688K)

anybody here play videogames?
i havent played anything in 6 or so years but im thinking on getting a ps4 just to play RDR2, for the cowboy roleplay
anybody recommend?

Attached: 00000006230113_A01.jpg (618x500, 120K)

RDR2 is more of an autism simulator than a game, but if you do want it, you better make sure to get a PS4 Pro or you'll never have enough memory to get anything better than silky smooth 20 frames

20fps was good enough for Quake.

Reposting from previous thread

Attached: 20190404_131540.jpg (4032x3024, 1.8M)

>RDR2 is more of an autism simulator than a game
perfect

Looking to add a single shot .45-70 to my collection ie; 1885 High Wall, Sharps, Trapdoor, or Rolling Block. Anyone here who has experience with these and can tell me the pros/cons between them? I'd love a Rolling Block but the 1885 is looking to be the more economic option.

22 levergats are where the fun starts and theyre still some of my favorites. if ur not careful they'll start turning into other calibers before you know it

no experience, but I like the look of the trapdoor best, however those are the second most expensive replicas you can get after sharpses, rolling blocks and high walls are renowned for their simplicity, reliability, and ability to not break the bank

You need some wood grips for that Colt.

Very jealous of your 1897.

Attached: 20190311_181851.jpg (1932x2576, 937K)

Trapdoors aren’t really capable of shooting high pressure cartridges, their chamber walls are just kinda fragile. Super cool ejection though and standard pressure rounds are fine.

Sharps are the most handsome rifles and often times more accurate because most the repros are made specifically for target shooting shit. They’re a little stronger but they have some quirky half cock-full cock thing you gotta be careful with. But they got the sexy factor.

High walls are the strongest and most simple design. They look fuckin dumb but definitely the best rifle in terms of usability.

I dig the sharps carbines most but would be super happy with an 1885

anyone here know a thing or two about Rossi 92's? Looking to get one as I've always wanted a winchester 94 but I'd rather shoot more often and cheaper .357/.38sp. Are there any important differences or qualities to know about between the new stainless steel ones and the older interarms and the old ones with the puma emblem on the side of the receiver? I'd prefer a blued finish so I'm looking mainly at the older ones, although I don't like all the importer information engraved on the receiver.

Attached: win94.jpg (1000x664, 409K)

Thanks fren, it’s 16 gauge

Attached: E97F2B3A-0BDD-4E26-BB91-A8908D11E0FF.jpg (4032x1028, 1.81M)

>colt trooper
I was wondering when El Capitan was gonna get a chance to use his popgun

Attached: thing-palmer.jpg (865x371, 33K)

recently bought a ruger old army

The action is often pretty gritty out of the box.
The wood is kind of rough and has a poor finish.
Some of them don't like to cycle some kinds of cartridges.

This can be improved with a bit of work.
youtube.com/watch?v=zVUb6vybexw
youtube.com/watch?v=M4BJes4tPs4

Other than that, they shoot straight and they don't explode.
If you're willing to do some work on your own, they clean up pretty decently.

I like the Trooper. Would carry one if I could.
For now it's just LARPing innawoods with the .44 Mag. Gotta love the Colt cylinder release and trigger.

Attached: Anaconda.png (1000x667, 1.77M)

Wow how can one sentence be so wrong. Your mother should have gone through with it

RDR2 is one of the better cowpoke LARP simulators.

Attached: RDR2 duster.jpg (1920x1080, 697K)

More footpounds.

>255 gr @ 860 fps ~ 410 ft lbs
>$40 for 50 rounds
>usually cannot shoot other rounds

>158 gr @ 1240 fps ~ 540 ft lbs
>$25 for 50 rounds
>.38 SPL all day

fuckin kys

>tfw SAAs in vidya have given me the cowpoke tisms
>even bought a belt and holsters so I can spin some replicas
It's not fair bros, why do I gotta wait another 2 months to buy my own

Attached: 1544134022645.png (833x906, 556K)

Don't let that anons normie tier brain disappoint you. It absolutely is NOT a simulator or anything resembling one. It's just grand theft auto with a western skin and horses instead of cars. He thinks because the guns work in such a way that you have to cock the hammer before one shoots that it's already a realistic wild west simulator. Check the gameplay out so you can see it's just a silly action game.

To be fair, .45LC is basically the special for the .454 Casull, the true patrician's choice.

Attached: Freedom Arms 454.jpg (1800x948, 330K)

There's that.
Using modern casings (and a gun that's stronger than an original SAA), you can load up .45 Colt to .44 Magnum levels, but honestly I don't see the point in doing that when you can just get a .44 Magnum revolver and then get that kind of power from off the shelf ammo.
Maybe if you live in a country with prohibitive laws and you can only have one handgun or something.

Acting as 'Specials' for a .454 Casull is a worthwhile point, however.

Attached: 454blackhawk.jpg (640x588, 189K)

Fuck I want a Model 8 so bad.

Anacoda is sexy. I like the Trooper a lot, the action is buttery smooth compared to the other revolvers I've handled, and the trigger is fantastic. Colt's bluing is pretty nice, too.

Attached: 20180421_133105.jpg (1932x2576, 1.23M)

Posting in a cozy thread

Attached: 20190404_173424.jpg (4032x1960, 2.08M)

The Trooper is also far more robust and hardy than the Python, it doesn't suffer from Magnum loads.

.45 Colt is just a trash cartridge though. I mean, it’s from the 1860’s but it’s just kinda dogshit.

.357 Magnum is and always will be a great round with great versatility and potential. Casull is a boutique round that will probably fall out of popularity in ten years. Even if it doesn’t, the amount you’re paying for a “special” of .454 and the .454 itself are just less justifiable than .44 Magnum and Special, which already walks the line of boutique

It’s just not worth it imo

looks like a pretty comfy jacket

nice flatband 94. deets?

I wish there was a modern top break revolver that could shoot hot .45 colt

I also have a deep craving for a model 8. Or anything fitting the sort of "great outdoors" aesthetic from old hunting magazine covers or ads. See pic related.
.357 is the king of revolver rounds, hands down, but I don't believe that the others will die out anytime soon.
.454 simply is the most versatile big game revolver cartridge. Big enough, but still carryable and .45 Colt compatibility.
The same with the others. .45LC is simply THE western LARP round and the .44s are a perfect inbetween.

Attached: posterSTRAPPEDlarge.jpg (296x500, 65K)

>Casull is a boutique round that will probably fall out of popularity in ten years
It's THE cartridge of choice for people who want a revolver with more might than a .44 Magnum
It's cartridges like .480 Ruger and what not which, while good, struggle to maintain popularity.

I like shooting 9mm in my Blackhawk

Attached: FullSizeRender.jpg (1224x1224, 325K)

That's good to know. I've only shot .38 through it so far. The Trooper doesn't seem to get talked about much.

Thanks, it belonged to my grandpa.

Nice eye, not many people notice the flat band. I picked it up at a local gun store for $350 about a year ago. Serial puts it around 1947. It's very smooth and very accurate. It's a little beat, but it shoots straight and I'm a fan of the patina. I sold a JM marked 336 to buy it and have absolutely zero regrets. I won't ever get rid of it.

Attached: 20180318_142156.jpg (2576x1932, 1.72M)

.454 will never be popular and common enough to drive the prices into a reasonable range especially when .44 Magnum is as versatile as it is.

Needing a handgun more powerful than a .44 Magnum is a niche purpose that requires a boutique cartridge. The .44 Magnum is already almost too powerful for real versatility.

Just because .375 H&H is still popular for larger game when regular rifles cartridges aren’t enough does not mean that it isn’t super specialized and boutique

>The .44 Magnum is already almost too powerful for real versatility.
stop skipping wrist day pussy

I'm glad you use a trip, so I can tell who's being a bitch in this thread.

That's not really my point. I'm saying that it will hardly ever die, seeing how it is simply better suited to big game hunting than .44 Mag is. From what I've seen, shooting .45 Colt for training is also way cheaper than .44 Spl.
It's still the obvious choice if you want a big fuckoff revolver that is still somewhat practical.

If you want something to just try out, you can play Red Dead Redemption 1 on your PC for free for a week. Look up "PlayStation Now" and there's a trial for it. If you live close enough to one of their server farms, the latency won't be bad and you really don't need a decent computer at all since you're just receiving streaming video and transmitting data from your controller (you will need a controller of some sort for your computer).
I've been using it to play RDR1 for a week or so now (I caved and bought a month of time to play more) and haven't had any significant issues. It won't look super pretty (the video they stream to you is only in 720p) but it's good enough for me.

Attached: psnow.png (1280x720, 873K)

Is Firefly cowboy enough?

I'd say so, but I liked the show so I'm biased. The weapons were a bit silly, though.

hello i need a winnie 1897 slampig
gunbroker.com/item/806268370
how much should i bid on this sexy whore

If you want a shooter, please don't buy one that nice.

Just wanted something on while I made a belt to go with a holster I made recently.

Attached: 20190404_201705.jpg (1040x776, 136K)

:(

Hi fags I make gun leather and gun leather accessories.

Pic related is mine

Attached: IMG_0500.jpg (4032x3024, 2.47M)

I just finished designing my templates for the Henry Big Boy to fill an order from my LGS. They bought 3 that they are putting on new Henry Rifles. One is for a gun bash and they are going to try selling the other two rifles in store.

Attached: IMG_1983.jpg (4032x3024, 1.49M)

Even got to make one for a fellow kommando's trench gun.

Attached: 20171104_205738-1.jpg (3664x1365, 805K)

My LGS's owner also had me make one for his personal rifle.

Attached: IMG_1352(1).jpg (4032x3024, 2.4M)

i want that 1897 slampig

>but honestly I don't see the point in doing that when you can just get a .44 Magnum revolver and then get that kind of power from off the shelf ammo.
Same powered loads with less pressure.

Me too. It's so much fun to dump a tube through it.

Nice, I do the same.

Attached: 20190325_174103.jpg (776x1040, 150K)

>not shooting all pistols one handed
But in all seriousness, you'll get used to it.

Attached: Theperfectpistolstance.jpg (262x332, 13K)

I took my SAA to the range for the first time today and a few times it seemed the cylinder would lock up. It felt like maybe a case was partially backing out and blocking the cylinder from spinning or something. Did I do something wrong? How do I prevent this?

I must say the can holder gets me excited but that hand stitching scares me.

Do you want my templates folder? Everything has BOMs and cost breakdowns.

Attached: 1243.png (1456x1231, 73K)

Are converted 1860's worth it? Think of getting one.

sewfey stop

I already put together a set of holster slopers I can modify, since I'm trying to focus more on custom work than manufacturing a mass of products. Plus the cost template might not work out the same since I get the vets discount at Tandy.

Attached: 20190320_152006.jpg (1040x780, 140K)

Have you considered getting a sewing machine for leather? I saw a decent deal on a used Singer but its still pretty expensive.

Not him but if that stitching scares you, you should see my first sheath

It's easy to do, just so damn time consuming. I made myself a 2 layer belt recently, with saddle stitching the entire way around the belt. God damn it took so long and was miserable.

I'm kind of on the fence for getting a leather sewing machine, since I also would want an industrial machine for sewing fabric. Saddle stitching also tends to be stronger than machine stitches, so it might be better to get the fabric machine and continue sewing by hand for the time being.

Attached: 20190329_224648.jpg (776x1040, 133K)

No, it's bad. Still functions perfectly and I made it myself so I love it but making shit pretty is the hard part.

Attached: 20190404_212356.jpg (720x980, 379K)

Why did the thread get so busy right after I asked my question? :(

Give me the details on that shotgun, it's very nice looking

Both of these look really nice user. I love custom leather, care to share your process for treatment/design?

RD is phenomenal. Story alone and environment are worth the buy. They're still adding to Online but it's already come along way, and it's still technically in Beta. I enjoy it alot, it's extremely cozy

I do a lot of hand-sewing with fabric so I was already used to it by the time I really got into leatherworking. Saddle-stitching large amounts is still a bitch, though I finally splurged and got a stitching pony to make things easier.

Attached: 20190202_184433.jpg (776x1040, 94K)

>Play RDR1.
user... it's rather dated and small compared to RD2. I loved RD1 when it came out but it just doesn't compare to the vastness of 2. In fact the entire world from 1 is the Western half of the map in 2

It should be kind of obvious at this point that I kind of prefer mexican loop style holsters. I've made a few buscadero-style belts but I strongly prefer going for more historically accurate looks. I usually pattern things out, cut all the pieces, then dye before sewing/riveting, etc. For burnishing, i usually do that as a last step unless it's for the edge of part I wont be able to get to until after it's finished. And I've started treating everything I make with mink oil as a "final" step. Pic related is part of a set I made for someones Revolver Ocelot cosplay, before I finished the other holster and the bandolier.

Attached: 20190115_134407.jpg (1040x780, 112K)

Did you do the gunbelt as well? Looks great user I like the thicker gun belts

Yeah, I usually do 10-11oz leather for the gun belts, unlined, but I'm planning on at least trying to put together a lined one to go with the snake-skin inlay holster I made.