When using a SBR AR platform (or any 556 weapon) is there any reason to use 556 over .300 blackout OTHER THAN ammo cost?

When using a SBR AR platform (or any 556 weapon) is there any reason to use 556 over .300 blackout OTHER THAN ammo cost?

It seems like .300blk would have better ballistics from a short barrel, as well as suppressing better if that was something that was needed. Not to mention its a 120grn compared to a 55grn.

What does Jow Forums think? Again I am specifically talking about in SBR (generally 12 inches or less) rifles only.

Attached: index.jpg (250x133, 5K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg
americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/11/5/shades-of-gray-300-whisper-300-aac-blackout/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xovdRJYg_-o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

300 blackout is gay

Use modern 5.56 loads that aren't designed for 20" barrels.

Losing over half the weight going from 120grn to 55grn.

He means the 70ish grain OTMs. Have you seen the terminal ballistics on them?

no, link?

Just use 7.62

I have one in a 10.5 pistol and love it. I also shoot suppressed and using heavy loads, it is comparable to a .22, maybe a little less. I never use ear pro with it either. Anyways, a barrel longer than 10" or so doesn't make a bit if difference, similar to a 9mm out of a 16". I specifically use this for HD as my bed side gun. MAS defense located in my city (Charlotte) makes super cheap uppers $200 or less that rival and in some areas beat PSA.

Literally no 762x39 gun has ergos as good as an AR platform.

>t. AK guy.

I looked at going to .300 for my next gun, but came to the conclusion that either the MK47 or the KS47 would be better options ONLY because I have a bunch of AK mags and ammo. The only downside I saw is that if you have 556 ARs already, you can just stick a .300 on your lowers, while the mutant has it's own special snowflake receiver.

Just get a SG553RP. Literally the top-tier 762 guns that uses AK mags, or get a bren 2.

cant you just convert your gun to use both calibers?

I am seriously eyeing the Bren 2 in real fucking NATO. SCARlets are on suicide watch

Is there literally any reason to use .300 Blackie over Grendel or SPC if you aren't going for suppressed / subsonic loads?

Swap the uppers out.

You are not educated on the subject but feel your opinion has value.

Fpbp

interchangeability, other than that though no.

>doesnt give any insightful input

You sure showed him.

What about a 7.62 AR?

Only if you have some specific caliber restriction laws in your area.

Don't they sometimes have feed issues with their weird ass magazine design?

All the magazines suck dick on 762x39 ARs because other than the Mutant and KS47, they dont take AK mags.

>5.56 that is not designed for 20" barrels = 55 grain

I'm only following your example of insight.

Probably
Boofuckinghoo, AKs are ergonomic as fuck, get an AK

OK so a 62 grain bullet must work well since its not 55 grain? Literally you are doing nothing to give any legitimacy to your claim besides spewing shit out of your ass without giving any examples or context.

I have AKs, I was simply answering the anons question.

so what the fuck is OPs problem?

Is M193 and M855 the extent of your knowledge of 5.56 loads?

That was me asking an intentionally dumb question to the other guy

Ah sarcasm rendered useless by text

Attached: 1A885943F9114ABF98F07183F5A77F3C.gif (325x216, 2.7M)

Again, you are literally offering nothing to help your argument.

Watch the IV8888 video.

Since we're talking about meme rounds how does the .277 Wolverine compare?

Just get a 6.5 Grendel.

(checked)
Can I use my .223/5.56 brass for that?

youtu.be/pzicw0Q8HRg

This is from a 10.5in barrel. It fragments nicely and the core penetrates 16in

The SG 553 in 7,62 exists though

no, holy fuck do you even reload?

Why do people not care about their looks? This man is morbidly obese, does he feel no shame?

>556 over .300 blackout OTHER THAN ammo cost?
Faster split times. But when you really want to put 100gr+ of copper through a fucking pig with only 12" of barrel, it's pretty tough to beat .300 blk these days.

One might say ammo availability or logistics.

Bottom line though for shorter barrels 300blk btfo 5.56

I like mine a lot.

Attached: DSC03323.jpg (4440x2960, 3.53M)

The thing is, the same people that say ammo availability/cost are the same ones shilling 77grn OTM ammo which is more expensive and harder to find than .300blk

not interested in blackout but what about longer barrels?

Is there any point in using 300 chimpout unsuppressed?

>is there any reason to use 556 over .300 blackout OTHER THAN ammo cost?
Apart from cost, there's also the fact that 5.56 is ridiculously common.

As other anons have mentioned, just use 5.56 loads that are actually designed for short barrels.

No balistic improvement over 10". Really for heavy hitting up close. Suppression never sounded sufficient to justify for that reason alone.

120 grain? Most subsonic 300 blk loads use 180-220 grain bullets

That's a fair point. The problem is finding an established LE round in .300 blk.

Speer, Winchester, and Federal all make affordable 60+gr bonded bullets that I can't imagine not working fine out of a 12" barrel for around $.75 to $1.00, less if you're buying cases at a time.

you can shoot supersonic 300blk. Why is everyone obsessed with it at subsonic levels?

Because the entire reason it was developed was for suppressed subsonic shooting? If you want to shoot a supersonic 30 cal round from an AR platform there are better choices.

there literally isnt a better choice for an intermediate .30cal round from an AR. Sure you can bump up to an AR10 but I dont think anyone really thinks .300blk is comparable to .308.

My 110 BLK loads hit 2300fps out of the same length... I only built a 223 pistol for the cheap lulz.. I lose 100fps going from a 12.5" to a 14.5" with the same 55gr soft point 25.0 H335 ammo (2820 to 2720) and 20" is hitting +420 (3140)...

Attached: 77vYy7JSf.png (760x749, 494K)

Yes. Read The damn thread. Full powder burn in a short barrel.

That is not the reason it was developed. They already had 9mm and 45acp for that.

Bullshit

Eh. Half truth as far as I can tell.

"Up to the point when I invented the .300 Whisper I don’t know of anyone who gave much thought to accuracy in a subsonic, silenced [arm] in this country,” stated Jones. “To be successful I thought the cartridge had to have both heavy-bullet, subsonic silenced and light-bullet, moderately high-velocity capabilities; be useful in the M16, single-shots, [and] bolt-actions; easily silenced with recreational shooting such as metallic silhouette and moderate big-game capabilities—such as pigs and deer—with exceptionally low recoil and decent accuracy."

americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/11/5/shades-of-gray-300-whisper-300-aac-blackout/

What is a better 30cal AR? And if the answer is x39 I don’t accept that answer.

It was developed with suppression inmind, sure. But it was not the only reason it was developed. Many other things were major considerations in development, like its literally a standard AR15 with barrel being the ONLY difference, Supersonic performance with full powder burn in short barrel, pistol length gas sys working with subs and supers with no adjustments, basically it’s ideal sbr cqc AR. Switches from intermediate rifle to a smg Just depending on what ammo it’s loaded with.

It will still kill shit dead

I don't need to add much to you making them for me.

So will .22lr.

If only a company called Hornady made a 75gr, fast-burn, low-smoke, low-flash, reduced sound signature, expanding cartridge called SBR Black.

>What did he mean by this?

And if only that had the energy of a 110gr 300blk in a 9” bbl.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=xovdRJYg_-o

Attached: A6793FD0-4374-4962-996B-5106E7E92B63.png (841x527, 384K)

do me a favor and never reload

Show me where to buy one in the US.

He was being sarcastic, my dude. The point being literally that's why you would go with 300 blk here. It CAN be reloaded from 5.56 casings, which is why some of us like it. "Fuck, I need some 300 brass. Welp, I guess I better go shoot a case of 5.56". You get two hobbies, calibers, and load sets out of it.

Attached: 1554429438389.png (594x516, 280K)

300blk is my favorite meme round. I recommend it

5.56 is a clear winner whenever you throw distance and/or armor into the mix. 300blk has garbage external ballistics which severely limits its point blank range. Soft armor can inhibit its terminal effect or basically negate it if you're far enough away. Hard armor ain't gonna take any of that pussy shit. You can use saboted .224 projectiles to get the same velocities as 5.56 with a shorter barrel but you're still gonna be more limited by range because of the lower accuracy.
Tl;dr 5.56 is still king

Just as powerful as .45acp... a bit better aerodinamics, worse expansion and energy...

.300blk is retarded.

Supersonic 300blk is your only option if you want to actually kill what you're shooting at. Soft body armor will stop subsonic loads and even if there's no armor it's just gonna icepick.

So why use .300blk then? Is like a reinvention of 7.62×39 with .45acp capabilities or something... sounds pretty stupid.

300BLK is gay if you don't have a short barrel, a suppressor, and reload for it. It's versatile and fun when those conditions are met. Barnes TAC-TX 110gr all copper bullets fuck deer up.

Attached: IMG_3168.jpg (4032x3024, 1.75M)

different deer, quartering shot on moving target, went in left shoulder, traversed entire body, got lodged under the right pelvis, lost one of the petals along the way. Tore that poor deer up inside.

Attached: IMG_0011.jpg (3264x2448, 1.95M)

>two stamp NFA gun
>poorfag optics

Attached: IMG_0045.jpg (2048x1536, 521K)

300 memeout is retarded. Subs have the external ballistics of .45 ACP.

>why even bother
>muh decibels tho

>Subs have the external ballistics of .45 ACP
I think you meant to say terminal ballistics, which still isn’t true, but closer to the truth than your statement.
But yes, subsonic 300blk is ‘similar’ to 45acp, yet it is in an AR, that can fire full power loads with no adjustments or changes. That’s the point, it is versatile. 300 blackout is not retarded, you are. The market is speaking for itself, it’s still growing in popularity.

So you can shoot it indoors without earpro in the middle of the night if necessary without incapacitating yourself

and full power rounds have more energy than 7.62x39
Lehigh Defense makes a subsonic load that is vicious in terms of expansion. I don't know anything about its reliability in feeding.
Hornady makes a subsonic load that will kinda expand.
My suppressed 300 SBR is my HD gun but it has the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX factory loads posted above. A 30 round magazine of the shit is basically $50 in ammo so it isn't cheap but for hunting use it doesn't break the bank.

Attached: P1330629-900x601.jpg (900x601, 74K)

The market is full of people with more money than sense. BC might be better and you can switch, but I have a regular ar and 300 is roughly twice as expensive as 45

> Load supersonic 110gr bullets
> Rifle is Yankee AK without fucked up American trunions
> Load subsonic rounds, adjust optic for POI
> Suppressible .45 acp PCC
Sounds pretty fucking cool to me.

Well, .300 blk subsonic is certainly weak; why not go straight to .458socom? Same speed (subsonic) but like 450gr...

Or like 500gr.

Attached: 154650.jpg (880x660, 65K)

How do they perform at farther than room distances?

Have both, capacity is the main reason to go 300 over 458. If you're hunting anything bigger than a whitetail, 458 all day.

>I am seriously eyeing the Bren 2
Is this actually happening? Are they done filling contracts?

Dios mio...

Well is cost like $3.50 per round.

Nice. How far away were you, and how far did it run?

20-25cpr 300blk steel case when?

>worrying that you'll get into an engagement at greater than 100yd as a civilian

Attached: bltdelux3353.jpg (505x567, 37K)

>404
>valid opinion not found
Checks out

Challenge
Name 5 Rifle calibers that plinking ammo can be found cheaper than the 40cpr that can be found rn for 300blk
I’ll wait.

I think you are correct.

Quieter, less muzzle blast, I'm pretty sure comparable energy at close and medium ranges and better energy at long range. A caliber legal for hunting. If you build an SBR or a pistol, cost or ammo availability is the only reason not to choose .300 BLK.

And that's before you talk about suppressors.

7.62x39
5.45x39
.22lr
Steel case .308

>Name 5 Rifle calibers
Kind of irrelevant when the #1 match is what AR15's come chambered in, dontchathink?

Anyway...
5.45x39
7.62x39
.222 Rem (Hush, .1 cent/rnd counts)
6.5 Grendel steel case

Whats the best barrel length for subsonic 300? I have a bunch of AR parts laying around and really all I'd need is a barrel and handguard. I have an AAC Tirant which is rated for subsonic 300blk, and I think it'd be neat to have a really quiet rifle

9".

>t. urbanfag
>worrying about getting into an engagement at any distance as a civilian
>worrying about getting into an engagement with anything other than the pistol you carry everyday