Why does the mini 14 have that ugly lump jutting out the side of it? Like what a way to ruin an otherwise beautiful gun

Why does the mini 14 have that ugly lump jutting out the side of it? Like what a way to ruin an otherwise beautiful gun.

Attached: top.jpg (1400x425, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_b0rgujFfHM
youtube.com/watch?v=7RwIisYN9m8
youtube.com/watch?v=QK3FyErywq0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

looks dope af tbqh fham

The question was WHY?

lol i dont fucking know. probably something to do with the gas system.

I don't know.

To protec the guide rod. Old Bill Ruger decided it should be covered. Or maybe Jim Sulivan did, I don't know.

It didn't need to be covered in Vietnam so why would it need to be covered on the range. Stupid decision desu.

It is an extension of the handguard to cover the operating rod.
It is there to prevent your hand from being bit by the op rod. Doesn't happen very often with M1s and M14s, but they are much bigger and have a lot more real estate to rest your hand.

For those that prefer it (and a lot do) there are a lot of aftermarket Mini-14 handguards that do not cover the op rod.

If you want to go that route, be sure you get a handguard that has both adequate ventilation and some heat shielding. You don't want to trap too much heat or burn your hand on it. For this reason I recommend against Ultimak mounts on Mini-14s.
Technically the original design did not have it. 180 and 181 series Mini-14s had a wood handguard with a small metal spring clip.
There were a few design changes made early on, mostly to do with the bolt hold open but the handguard was changed as well. I suspect for liability reasons.

People are retarded and put their hands on where the op rod moves forward. Keeps dumbasses from breaking their fingers.

looks fine, if that actually bothers you you're an autistic nogunz and should fuck off

you must be at least 8YO to post here

>It didn't need to be covered in Vietnam
YMBAL8YOTPH

There are hand guards that don’t cover the op rod, including wood ones that bring it close to the look of a true miniature M14.

Its so your hand doesn't touch the moving operating rod, or shit contacts the rod and puts enough force on it to cause a failure to extract or stovepipe. The original series 180 mini 14's didn't have it and looked better in my opinion. They had more of a true M14 look to them, especially with some mods like in the pic.

Attached: mini14.jpg (1024x768, 469K)

You mean on that extremely short lived service rifle. Not that you've ever touched a mini, but just take the shit off of you don't like it

I 100% agree with this, metal and wood aesthetic is just right

Attached: 1511845164029.gif (234x249, 269K)

>tfw inherited a stainless/polymer mini-14 from granddad
I feel like a shithead for wishing it was blued/wood

positions are reversed, he had modern tastes and i'm a 20 year old fudd
love you gramps

covers the op rod

It's to prevent jams, you can take it off. Looks dope without it. Most dont because of how they grip the rifle
Dont feel bad, I asked this before and Jow Forums got SO triggered too

It's to protect your hand from the rod, actually.

Damn, I just put an ultimak mount on mine... Could I drill out some ventilation holes or something? Really want the forward mounted rail so I can still use the stripper clip guide I put on

Why do zoomers like mini14's so much?

Legit question here:

Did they fix the Mini-14? I hear they made a lot of changes in the last 10 years. If not, is it fixable within 100$ or so?

>Why do zoomers like mini14's so much?
I own a Garand, an M1 Carbine, an M14, and several AR's.

Some people just want a rifle. Not a pistol-grip polymer wonder.

Because of PUBG.

Indeed.

>Did they fix the Mini-14? I hear they made a lot of changes in the last 10 years. If not, is it fixable within 100$ or so?
depends what you mean by fix
main complain about the old mini was accuracy
this was fixed the newer ones have better sights, thicker barrels, and adding a scope is possible now.
everyother complaint is still valid
the mags are still expensive
assembling the gasblock wrong fucks up accuracy
its still worse than an ar

user, there are already holes in your Ultimak rail from what I'm seeing here on DuckduckGo's image search.

I knew there was something that must have been memeing it lately.
My whole adult life, people have been bashing them.
I owned a ranch rifle that I found at a pawn shop for a while, but it just wasn't cool after getting an AR. It was at the time when 20 round factory mags were the only thing that worked, and they were also like $20-40 each.

>My whole adult life, people have been bashing them.
Am
There's a reason I don't own one yet.

Yeah, they were/are terrible. Ruger had 30+ years to make minor changes, and eventually AR's were cheaper than the fucking mini-14 before Ruger started making small improvements. Even the newer Mini-14 still isn't worth what people ask for it.

The "Ranch Rifle" concept is still what the average person needs. Not what they want. If they were asking nearly half the MSRP, it might be worth considering.

>Did they fix the Mini-14? I hear they made a lot of changes in the last 10 years. If not, is it fixable within 100$ or so?
The Mini is a fine rifle; they just get a lot of shit from AR fanboys who are endlessly outraged by the fact that the universe contains a viable alternative to their beloved raifu.

Attached: rugerscreech.jpg (808x499, 76K)

It has vent holes but they are insufficient. Mini-14s vent gas directly inside the handguard right under the barrel.

I had one with an Ultimak and it would get HOT. I'd worry about any kind of optic mounted on it getting roasted.
They improved it with a much thicker barrel, which was a long overdue and much demanded change. Front sight is also improved but the rear sight on the new rifles is dogshit that must be upgraded ASAP if you intend to use it at all.

Everything else is pretty much the same.

I just got back from shooting my Ranch Rifle.

Mini 14 thread?

Attached: 20190405_182033_1554506542830.jpg (960x720, 269K)

Attached: 1551906339965.gif (300x173, 298K)

youtube.com/watch?v=_b0rgujFfHM
youtube.com/watch?v=7RwIisYN9m8
youtube.com/watch?v=QK3FyErywq0

Oh sweet, he did it and put an M1 carbine style tappet in the Mini.

You’re rear sight set screws come loose yet? Mine had issues after 200 rounds so I just replaced the rear sight with one from Tech Sights.

Attached: C995CCB0-6F90-4920-8F55-92391ED85B7C.jpg (750x1334, 173K)

I put Tech Sights *and* a Holosun 503 on mine, along with a Wolff recoil spring. Mine's accurate and reliable so far.

Attached: Photo Feb 22, 23 57 23.jpg (2245x3100, 1.74M)

It's better than before but it's still an inferior AR-15 rival, as the M14 is to the AR-10.

Not yet, but I've been thinking about getting a Tech sight anyways. Easy to install?

Attached: 20190405_175331_1554506541769.jpg (720x960, 236K)