QTDDTOTT

How long will it take for a barrel to become pitted after shooting it? Specifically a bolt gun with non corrosive ammo?

Pic unrelated

Attached: IMG_4625.jpg (640x430, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mossberg.com/category/application/youth-shotguns/
mossberg.com/product/510-youth-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose-field-50485/
gunbroker.com/item/805387193
tngun.com/wp-content/uploads/Hatchers-Notebook.pdf
forums.brianenos.com/topic/191773-cz-tuning-101-with-professor-atlas/
czfirearms.us/index.php?board=40.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

About 8 years if you dip it in salt water immediately after shooting to neutralize the carbon buildup

Depends on 200 different factors

Mine seems to have been severely pitted after a week

Better soak that shit in salt water soon then

Is that normal? My rifling already seems ruined

Am manlet. I want to get a Mossberg 500 for when me and mine get our first house together, but anytime I've handled a shotgun, they always felt cumbersome in terms of length of both stock and barrel. It feels like its way too long. I know mossberg has high customization. What can I do? Is it legal to reduce the stock size? I know barrels can only go so low. New to guns in general, only have a .22 tacticool rifle and a walther 9mm, so if there is something obvious I apologize in advance.

Could it just be dirty?

>Is that normal?
Yes.
Go read the section on corrosive ammo in pic related.

Yes, you can reduce the stock size. In the world of shotguns and rifles that is called "reducing the length of pull" It's not illegal unless you reduce the overall length of the shotgun below 26 inches.

There are several ways this can be done:
-a wood stock can be shorted with a saw, then a new buttbad is installed.
-you can buy an aftermarket shorter stock
-you can buy an stock with adjustable length of pull

If you don't have shotgun experience I'd suggest you shoot a factory-length shotgun before you start fooling with it.

forgot pic

Attached: Hatcher.jpg (324x499, 33K)

I used non corrosive, i didn't use surplus now there is a brownish color on the patches when im cleaning it.

How manlet are you? I'm 5'3" and I find my M500 pretty comfy and don't have to stretch like some other shotguns I held. I was having the same problem of them feeling too long and cumbersome, despite having surp rifles even longer.

It's perfectly legal to have a shorter stock, but the shotgun must have an overall length of at least 26" (if I remember right, it could be something else similar).

Don't cut down your stock, though. Just practice until it feels nice, or buy a youth model. Handle one in person first though to make sure you really do prefer a smaller gun and don't just feel awkward without a pistol grip. Also, look into an AR15 for home defense, they're fantastic beginner guns and now's the best time in history to buy one. There's a sperg on this board who really hates them, so he might run in here screaming about them shortly.

Check out these youth model shotguns, Mothman makes the best selection:
mossberg.com/category/application/youth-shotguns/

I saw pic related with blonde wood once, I regret not buying it. A 20 gauge would probably be perfect for you. The shortest the barrel can go without getting into NFA hassles is 18.5" (legally 18" but the ATF no shit cannot measure correctly lmao)

Something like this is about as short as it gets:
mossberg.com/product/510-youth-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose-field-50485/

Attached: 54132_500Bantam_20ga.png (4060x817, 1.66M)

Whoops, sorry I misread. I thought you said Corrosive ammo.

Brown = rust. That can easily happen if you live in a humid climate. That said, are you sure it isn't copper colored? Copper fouling will leave a reddish-brown "copper" color on patches. It can be removed with copper-removing solvents. A sure sign that copper is present is if you run a patch thru the barrel with a copper solvent on it then it will turn a blue/green sort of color, like the patina on an old bronze statue. You might check that first.

Its pic related

Attached: IMG_4656.jpg (4032x3024, 2.52M)

That's rust.

Shit so how do i save this barrel

Looking for a Boar hunting rifle for a first time rifle hunter and I am between getting a Sporterized Enfield 1917, a Savage Axis in .270, or a Marlin 30-30. I'm familiar with shooting bolts and have fired a couple of levers, but I'm more-over looking for a rifle I can lug to more states to hunt with. Any suggestions?

Attached: 1496943542752.jpg (779x593, 253K)

Agreed.

Just clean it well. It's probably just surface rust. If it were me, I'd bust out pic related and a brand new stiff brush.

Attached: p_083065025_1.jpg (400x400, 38K)

Of those choices I'd take the Enfield.

You can certainly kill boars with a .270 or a 30-30, but I'd rather have something on the order of the .303 Brit, .30-06, 7mm mag.

protip: get a small spray bottle of WD-40, rem oil, or whatever other gun lube/protectant you like. When you're done shooting at the range just spray a little down the barrel. That will keep things from rusting if you can't be bothered to clean it for a while.

The M1917 Enfield is in .30-06. gunbroker.com/item/805387193 would be something like this.

Attached: pix149397856.jpg (567x425, 42K)

Simple question

Is the Holosun 403b a good optics for sub 200yard shooting? I’m not looking for anything tactical or anything hunt worthy, just a nice sight for target shooting. Have any of you had experience with it? Pros and cons on it

That's perfect IMO.

Alright thanks lads, im an idiot too its not pitted at all it was big clumps of carbon or something in there that came right out after i put a patch drenched in salt water

Sweet. I was planning on buying a Hordany single stage press for reloading to save cash anyways. That settles it, I'm gonna go with the Enfield. Thanks.

Attached: 1551110943100.jpg (900x506, 81K)

>after i put a patch drenched in salt water
You dumb shit.
He was trolling you. Salt water causes corrosion.

The ONLY time you should have water anywhere near a firearm is if you're firing blackpowder or corrosive ammo, in which case you wash the barrel out with hot soapy water and then immediately oil it. If you aren't firing black powder or corrosive ammo then fuck no, keep the water away.

Either do what this user said or just throw some solvent on a brass bristle brush and go at it, nothing special. Keep swabbing through until there's almost no rust and then start passing patches through until there really is none, and no solvent too, totally dry and clean. And then give it a light coating of some oil to help keep the rust away. You'll be fine, like he said it looks like surface rust. You would see a lot more if it weren't.

Attached: 1554481434160.png (607x693, 817K)

Well i only did once its fine all the water is gone

Im 5'7" or 8. Cant remember lol. Recoil isnt a problem really. My problem with getting a youth or 20 gauge is I am really just looking for the one and done model that I can spiffy up. Nothing crazy, something that is a practical to hunt with as it is for home defense. Does the 20 gauge 500 have the same after market at the 12? Ive yet to see a customized mossberg 20 gauge honestly.

You're not very manlet at all, then, and a normal sized shotgun is made for someone roughly your size already. You don't need a youth model and should just get a normal one and get used to it. Get one and put a collapsible stock on it if you want a shorter length of pull, but you're squarely in normal shotgun proportions range. I assumed if this was a problem for you you were like 5'0" or something.

Attached: 1533439838012.jpg (800x533, 88K)

HOLY FUCK MAN I WAS JOKING I'M SO SORRY

Attached: 1546401796362.png (600x600, 225K)

anyone who willingly does that without a second thought is really just doing it to themselves at that point

Attached: 1544369017184.png (499x338, 38K)

Yeah im a dumbshit and this is my first gun that I own (just turned the legal age in cuckifornia)

You got a pdf?

Nope, I'd share if I had one but I prefer paper books.

I see. I just need to git gud. Now, with all the different models of 500's out there, do they all have the ability to customize or are some built to be just the way they are?

Looking to un-noguns myself. How much is a reasonable price for an SKS? I'd be fine with an AR as well, but I'd rather have an SKS, unless the SKS is much more expensive than, say, a PSA AR or an M&P sport.

Get a youth model mate, it sounds dumb but it’s great for guys with a shorter arms.

A 5'-8" to 5'-10" man is exactly who a standard off-the-shelf shotgun is built for. It would be very unlikely that he would need anything changed.

Just get an AR, russian surplus isnt exactly cheap anymore and the ammo is also rising in price, ammo for the AR is dirt cheap though.

7.62x39 isn't too expensive either, and Russia isn't the only source of SKSs. There are some Norinco SKSs still floating around, and Yugoslavian surplus SKSs are out there as well. I would buy an AR if it were significantly cheaper than whatever SKS I can find, though.

Jesus Christ did you not know salt water causes rust? Have you not seen steel outside?

A non trolling answer is to get dry patches through it immediately and then with a cleaning solvent and then dry patches again. If you ever put water on steel gun parts use hot/nearly boiling water. It evaporates much much quicker (this is true and not trolling). Sometimes for corrosive ammo this can be done but don’t do it if you can avoid it.

You might be new and I don’t mean to be harsh but bare steel and water don’t mix. This is basic common sense.

If I have a Norinco 9mm Tokarev, could I convert it to 7.62x25 by juat swapping the barrel and removing the mag spacer?

has anyone run 100gn buffalo bore 380+p fn hardcast through a s&w bodyguard more than just a couple times? I don't mine advancing the wear of a gun in self defense , but I also want to know I can get through a couple mags of it without catastrophic failure

Hahaha you just ruined this niggas first gun. Might as well fuck his wife while your at it. Shits demonic

Just get on armslist, if you're dilligent you can still find unmolested SKSs in the 350-500 range. Most will be Norinco or Yugo, never owned either but apparently Yugo barrels are not chrome lined, and some grenade launcher atttatchments make it heavier.
Also, 7.62x39 is 20 cpr all day every day, it's about as cheap as an intermediate rifle round gets, especially being fed from 10 round clips.

I'm not sure if that would work, since I'm 18 and one gas to be 21 to buy semiautomatic guns in my state. I was planning on buying one in person from a store in a county where they aren't enforcing that law, but I guess I could just have it shipped to an FFL that county. I dunno if armslist or gunbroker would be fine with that, though. Also, take a gander at this absolute gem. No lowballin, he know wut he gawt.

Attached: Screenshot_20190405-141745_Chrome.jpg (720x1280, 249K)

If you can buy one locally from a county that doesn't give a hoot, do that. What state?

Washington. I'd have to get my driver's license first, but that should be easy.

>18
>no guns
>not even a driver's license to escape his shitty state
>attempting to not comply with shitty laws despite all this
Good luck and Godspeed, future gun owner.

I just haven't gotten around to taking the test. I can drive just find. I'm stuck here for the next four years for college, though.

*just fine, not just find. I can't seem to type just fine.

What is the story with the dome? I see it has whay looks like 30cal Browning mount but Ive seen others maybe had camera equipment. Couldnt find a decent variant list on uh-1 all basic bs

Attached: IMG_20190404_153920_053.jpg (571x463, 80K)

It's a grenade launcher.

Attached: 627b306fd875b96bdf043f278c81251b.jpg (600x412, 45K)

I know it causes rust but i thought he meant it would break up the gunk that was in there, so i only used one patch with it

thx user any links be appreciated also
Happy friday Yall!

Attached: IMG_20190404_155918_103.jpg (1191x800, 199K)

Can I use a shoestring as a homemade boresnake or will it mess up my barrel?

How much should I expect to get selling a very very low use g17 gen 4 (literally no markings or scratches etc) to a gun store?

Put that shit on armslist dude they offered 300 for mine

200-300 very low use means nothing to a gunstore

Shit I got it on armslist for 400 brand new basically... I just want a rami god help me

/devilish/

Attached: 1550964420833.jpg (512x512, 38K)

Well put it up for 500 “unfired”

How often does 80P Builder have their 20% off sales? I need to buy a glock for my mags, but they seem to be out of stock on threaded g19 barrels and I dont want to pay extra for a barrel I wont use.

I am an honest man! Also you can tell it's been fired at least a bit.

Besides I'm not poor

Do we have any idea what japanes special forces look like? 128 million people they must have some?
And also y'all think they bought into the Crye Gen3 meme?

Attached: 800px-thumbnail.jpg (800x534, 96K)

only thing i can find are airsofters

How should I wash pic related without destroying it? It came out of the package smelling like mothballs and Papa's unwashed track pants

Attached: IMG_2394.jpg (385x385, 22K)

>removing the mag spacer
I assume that you have the newer version with the mag spacer in the magazines, rather than in the mag well. If so, yeah - you'd pull the spacer, and use standard 7.62x25mm magazines and a 7.62x25mm barrel (and bushing).

Don't worry .
People shoot in the rain all the time.
Just dry and oil the gun as soon as possible.
I am a Ballistol acolyte myself.
Smells like dirty socks though.
A good oil will penetrate the pores of the metal and displace any moisture.
Once you get it clean and dry, you can actually wax the metal parts to keep moisture out.
Renaissance Wax is a popular brand but a real paste wax will work in a pinch.
All of my milsurps are oiled and waxed both wood and metal parts.

Wash in clothes washer in cool/warm water. Hang dry. If that doesn't work to remove the scent, you can do it several times or handwash. It's hot water and air dry that hurts older clothing. I even do this for wool items

Clearly you need to buy a KS7.
Report back about the recoil pls.

Not him, but here ya go:
tngun.com/wp-content/uploads/Hatchers-Notebook.pdf

Appreciated

It has the spacer in the magwell. Same process there?

11 hours later and I'm still pissing myself laughing at this

Legit question and I have searched on google but can't find a tutorial.
How the fuck do I remove to firing on a CZ 75 B for cleaning?
Or do I not have to clean it?
It's making me nervous to think that it has dirt and shit on it.

I'm 5'3 and I use a mossberg 500 with an 18.5 barrel. I'd suggest getting 2 barrels, one to hunt with and a short barrel for home defense. Other than that git gud

Im getting a bushmaster xm15-e2s soon and it has a fixed carry handle. How do l reliably mount an optic on this thing?

>xm15-e2
Why not just build?

Attached: 1546623260390.jpg (1280x853, 269K)

what optics are out there for hunting handguns? want to slap something on my tanfo witness hunter

If I had a vz 61 with the underfolder but I welded it in the closer position, would atf still shoot my dog? I just like the look, I don't actually need the stock.

Attached: CZ_Vz.61.jpg (686x423, 135K)

if you can avoid SBR by pinning and welding muzzle devices, I don't see why not. Except that until it's welded its and SBR

so maybe buy one without and add it later after getting a letter from the atf

Because lm getting a decent deal and l really like the a2 aesthetic. I do plan on building a nice custom job some day but for now l want to own a super basic one and see if l actually like ar’s

Czechpoint doesn't sell them with folders attatched so that's probably what I'll do. I was just curious of the legality of doing the welding/pinning yourself.

>Pros
Cheap (relatively)
Lightweight
Long battery life

>Cons
not an aimpoint

shoestring is fine. Anything that is less hard than your barrel or coatings inside (ie. chrome plating, etc.) can be used safely to clean the barrel.

$350 is standard price for used glocks where I'm at, minus money proportional to surface damage. Round count means nothing on a glock, only scratches and rust.

Is it still legal bumpfire with your finger? Did the ban only apply to the stocks?

Attached: 1519578535008.jpg (640x640, 62K)

"did the government ban physics?"

If I told you they had would you believe me?

>"did the government ban physics?"
i mean, physics is what makes an open bolt full auto work so....?

no, being able to hold down the trigger and keep the sear from working as they mandate for "semi-auto" classification is what makes open bolt full fun guns illegal.

Are you daft?

Attached: Autistic Power.jpg (500x666, 175K)

Are upper parts kits for a gen 1-4 glock slide compatible with a gen 5 slide?

Banning bumpfire isn't that far of a stretch from banning bumpstocks. If you think the gov't isn't capable of imposing something like that, got bad news for you.

You fool you don't put it in salt water. You have to piss down the barrel to neutralize the chemicals in the powder residue.

>banning all semi-automatic firearms isn't that far a stretch from banning bump stocks

Attached: 1477283110987.png (199x200, 11K)

forums.brianenos.com/topic/191773-cz-tuning-101-with-professor-atlas/

czfirearms.us/index.php?board=40.0

All the CZ info you will need can be found in those two forums.

CZ 75 firing pin in the B model is retained by a roll pin through the slide jusr forward and below the rear sight

Drive it out with a punch from right to left.
The firing pin will then come out of the back of the slide after pushing up on the firing pin block plunger at the bottom rear of the slide.
You can use a roll of duct tape for a bench block.

How would a 230gr .45 FMJ fair against your average steel front door, would it still have adequate velocity to injure someone after penetration or would it even penetrate?

Also what would be the legality of shooting someone through your front door if they're posing a threat?

>inb4 this is fucking stupid and will never happen
I know, i'm just curious

Attached: 2yl6w5u.jpg (600x800, 51K)

Is it cheaper to build a 9MM carbine AR or a regular 5.56 midlength 16" AR? The only other gun I own is a 9MM glock 19 so i'm considering the carbine AR so I can buy just one type of ammo

Get the 5.56 for defense and the 9mm carbine for a fun plinker

How thick is “average”?