Dryfiring can damage the gun, myth or truth?

I was on the shooting range with my friend, and he lent me his CZ-52.

As I was firing the gun, when the magazine emptied, I cocked the hammer and fired it again.

My friend just got very pissed from nowhere, he told me I should never dryfire the CZ-52 and that it can break the gun.

Wtf? I call this bullshit. Guns are made out of durable steel, no way it can break that easily.

Is this one of those myths that some people follow without second thougts? Just like those who believe vaccinations can give you autism.

Attached: CZ52_pistol_left_side.jpg (1280x853, 267K)

The Vz52's firing pin is shit and will crack if dry fired too much

your friend is just autistic

Like the delicate swan diving for a fish and returning with no prey, so too does the graceful hammer strike and find no cartridge

buy your own cz52 and do what you want to it...but listen to your friend if its his

Attached: 1E0DE035-692A-46D2-8FFF-5321769FB2EB-279-0000001C6AC5209D.gif (480x592, 578K)

Yeah, it's pretty much shit for most modern center fires, competition shooters dry fire their guns thousands of times when training and it does sweet fuck all to the gun.
That being said, .22lr bolts are fragile as fuck, and old surplus can be too, so for those guns there's some validity to the thing.

A knowledgeable old fuck once told me that on some old rimfires, the firing pin can hit the chamber face and fuck it up. I've also seen people post about certain guns' firing pins cracking if dry fired, but that one sounds like fuddlore to me.

most guns won't be damaged.

the cz52 firing pin will work harden from striking the rear of the bolt face when it does not have a primer to strike. It will eventually get so hard that It will just shatter.

same thing happens in the FN49

Dry firing old guns (pre80s) no. It can cause the FP to crack.
Dry firing any rimfire: no, causes damage to FP and chamber edge unless gun was designed to dry fire safely. Stick to rule of thumb and just DON'T.
Dry firing any gun post 1980: go for it.

Its a well known issue specific to the CZ52. You wouldn't know it if you'd never talked to any owners or read any forum posts about the gun. He should have told you

You can easily replace the firing pin in a CZ 52 with a titanium one, how about you be a good friend and buy your buddy one as a sorry and thank you.

If I were him I’d appreciate you a lot more as a friend.

It depends on the gun. Older guns, usually pre-80s, can have firing pins snap easily if they aren't hitting a primer. My Star BM had a broken firing pin because of me dry firing it without realizing it was bad for it. I got a replacement.

These, OP.

It's not an issue with many modern firearms, but it is with this one and it's his gun on top.

I dry fired my brand new 586 the day I got it and the whole gun locked up and needed to be repaired. Gay

Attached: B1A1CD77-16FA-444D-A49D-DF6A46502EBD.jpg (640x640, 110K)

Is your friend named Josh?

>It will eventually get so hard that It will just shatter.
armorer here. For a piece of ANY even remotely not-shit steel for this to happen, you'd have to hammer the shit out of that piece of steel for hours, THEN hammer it even more.
So whatever the cause is, it's not that one.
>Jow Forums is full of people with no fucking idea about guns
big news, stop the press

Chronic dry firer here and freakishly slow learner here, use a snap cap. To date the list of dead amounts to:
Two 92F firing pins.
One AR15 firing pin.
One AK74(SAR2) firing pin.
One Glock 17 Gen 3 slide.

Just fucking use a snap cap it's a lot cheaper and a lot less trouble.

inb4 "NUH UH" nigger if you hit something enough times it breaks. Just life. If you truly think i'm wrong, please inform my glock slide because shits expensive.

Depends on the gun. Some have delicate firing pins that won't tolerate dry firing without snap caps, and some don't.

Attached: grugzi.png (494x443, 53K)

also keep in mind the hammer is literally that. it's a *HAMMER*, sent to the firing pin with spring pressure. if the pin is floating, it'll vibrate and be mostly okay. if it is held in place, part of it will vibrate and the clamped bit will not and eventually that weak point will shatter

here: AR15 pin cracked at the shoulder at the rear, whole ass end of the pin seperated.

AK pin seperated at the retention pin and the ass end fell out into the reciever. Both were free floated.

>he managed to break a titanium firing pin
well bro i don't know what to tell you. were you doing dime drills at least?

Wasn't titanium. Yes I was.

bless

What difference dose dry firing any gun make to firing it with a round in the chamber? The pin is set to go "that exact distance" whether it hits something or not. Ya'll been drinking the fuddaid again.

Attached: 1538758579901.png (1852x1408, 137K)

That's like asking "Whats the difference between hitting a wall at 20 mph and 60mph? Your chest only moving that same distance to the steering wheel."

Primer deformation is your pin-saving cushion, retard.

Is that a Hi Point?

Is not the same, and you must consider that the same deformed primed is hitting back at the firing pin because of newton's law, and the explosion of the gunpowder

user do you know anything about physics. that hammer is going to hit the pin. hammer is big heavy thing. pin is smol light thing. pin exists to transfer energy from hammer to primer. if no primer or snapcap is there, the energy just rolls back and forth inside the pin in waves until it dissipates as heat/sound. these reverberations weaken metal. eventually it breaks.

Just use snap caps, bro. They're like $15.

what am i made of money

Well, can you balance the dime?

Oh and CZ75 series need a snap cap also.
The firing pin hits the firing pin retention roll pin and it peens both parts out of shape eventually.
The roll pin can crack and the peened firing pin enlarges a bit and drags inside the hole which can cause light strikes..
The firing pin can be polished back into proper shape with some 600 grit paper and chucking the pin in a drill. Then finish it off with some 1200 grit or finer.

Just get some snap caps.

CZ-52s are well designed, but the metal quality on some critical parts is poor, notably the firing pin on some guns.

Yes you can damage guns dry firing them, not all guns but some older 22s and others. Use snap caps.

CZs are shit guns made for fags, so that’s not surprising.

>.22lr bolts are fragile as fuck
No...they are not. Really why just let your brain fart out crap like that.

>that on some old rimfires, the firing pin can hit the chamber face and fuck it up
True

I can nowadays. Half of what I attained before got rekt along with my hand when it was introduced to a piece of glass that entered between my trigger and middle fingers and went down the length of my palm on the inside.

Pics of my linty G17 slide because fuck. Called glock and wouldn't even give me an RMA years ago, so it's sat there waiting for me to get around to buying an aftermarket.

Attached: DrYfIrInG wOnT hUrT a GlOcK.jpg (1140x1030, 131K)

>CZs are shit guns made for fags, so that’s not surprising.

Weak bait from a true homosexual

This
he sounds like a he could have been like "bro, don't dry fire the gun. It can damage it" instead of spazzing. maybe let him dry your gun so your even?

Attached: Discord_2018-11-03_13-53-08.png (230x301, 109K)

I promise you the CZ-52 has a flaw inherent to the design of the firing pin that makes it break when dry fired. I did it by accident. Ended up buying a replacement redesigned firing pin that makes it immune to breakage.

read the manual

He's right, don't dryfire old guns.

Attached: goodandbadfiringpin_.jpg (1263x711, 296K)

Firing pins breaking is mostly only a problem on guns with an internal hammer. Anything with a striker is almost unbreakable, though.
As a general rule of thumb, bolt actions, striker pistols and modern semi automatics can be dry fired without a problem.
Do NOT dry fire revolvers, especially with hammer mounted firing pins, old semi automatics and also break action firearms.

It's common milsurp knowledge that cz 52 have one of the weakest firing pins on the plane and dry firing them is the number one reason they break.
So fuck you, op

gotta get myself a cz52
fuckin sexy ass gun

Don’t post if you have no knowledge of the subject, this is a common problem with CZ 52s specifically and is easily alleviated with a titanium firing pin.

Buy your friend one OP, he’ll thank you, they’re like $10.

hes probably a retard but you should respect how he wants you to treat his guns

hammer-mounted firing pin revolvers and all rimfires should never be dry fired, especially the rimfires. if you want to be safe dont dryfire any older guns. everything modern that isnt a rimfire you can dryfire all day

That's not from dry fire. There was a defect when the gun was new.

It’s a common issue some Glocks have, and there’s quite a bit of documentation out there around the exact same issue.

I just googled it and theres like 2 forum posts about it. It's not a common issue and is a defect that glock should replace. You did not do that just from dry firing.

>Like 2 forum posts
>Just googled it bro
>Not a common problem

Evidence points to the contrary and your google skills fucking blow.

Attached: 8F8D747B-6CB8-4068-9CDE-D7AA13B5FBBE.jpg (1109x2124, 429K)

Well come fucking yell at the slide then, because it sure worked fine until I squeezed the trigger on an empty chamber and got a "CRUNCH" instead of a click, followed by a bulged breech face that wasn't there the day before.

I mean I tried telling it it wasn't broken and it didn't listen. Maybe you will have more luck. Glock doesn't seem terribly interested in the issue, so you're my last hope. I mean you seem to know everything so you've gotta have a solution.

What is a double action revolver

I know the rule is all guns are loaded, all the time, but that’s not literally true user

You will have empty chamber some day, and you’ll get a click instead of a bang.

Every American should be able to afford it, the Hi-Point is America's gun.

>My friend just got very pissed from nowhere, he told me I should never dryfire the CZ-52 and that it can break the gun.

did he shoot you?

That's a p99

Attached: 42A7CF98-DD7C-460E-A4C8-983B24879D59.jpg (1024x575, 82K)

Fucking beautiful man.

>discord
That is a male

This. The original firing pins have issues with being brittle, but there are aftermarket ones that fix the issue.
Also this. Be nice to other people's things.

But generally speaking, I don't think dry firing is a huge issue for most guns, provided you don't do it a million times. Just get snap caps.

No, its a gun not a fucking bow.

Have you been reading chinese novels?

Cringe and bluepilled image.

>le bible
>le book that produces cuckservatives

Attached: 5F7DFBA8-6E94-490D-9A64-405ACA435D98.jpg (1251x1242, 196K)

Don't think for a second that this (you) means anything.

jesus christ, I could hear you glowing from /d/

dry firing is bad for bows too.

dry firing is generally only ok for rifles. pistols get finicky

I read that in David Attenborough's voice, and now I wish there was a spoof documentary about a remote island ruled by guns.

Remember this moment faggots, as you have witnessed true art.
Bravo, user.

you're an idiot

Mostly comes from old revolvers where the firing pin was built into the hammer. Dry firing it would damage the firing pin over time.

>Morgan Freeman

Fugg

Jow Forums Haiku