Alice Pack General:

Alice Pack General:
Show off your pack user. What are your favorite mods? I have a stock large pack with frame. I'm looking to upgrade the kidney bag and maybe straps. Any recommendations?

Attached: alice.jpg (200x258, 17K)

Alice packs suck. I wore one in the Boy Scouts and it was the most painful awkward piece of shit imaginable. Fight me.

Do you have experience with a lot of rucks tripfag? If you are carrying weight on your back it tends to be uncomfortable.

So why make it worse with a horrible rucksack lol

I like my MOLLE 2 salt pack fine. The fact that it's uglier than hammered dog shit doesn't bother me at all.

Attached: MOLLE-Assault-Pack (1).jpg (768x923, 294K)

I'm talking actual rucks. That is a frameless backpack. I have one.

Get RIT green nylon dye and hot dip it. ACU that's been dipped in OD green dye looks fucking great, just don't overdue it or it will come out basically black.

I got a medium for like $20 not too long ago and its okay. I don't really get the shilling or bitching about them. Unless you have almost no back or shoulder muscles it's just okay. Only cool if you're into the nam larp I guess.

Not Alice pack related but how well would RIT dye work on ACU trousers? Thought about dyeing my pair.

Does anyone have a diagram on the best/intended way to pack an Alice pack?

oh hey look the official backpack of 'that 30 year old vet at community college who never shuts up about how he was in the military'

Only my ILBE pack, which I more or less use as luggage. Never got into the backpacking thing. So honestly, no. I was just shitposting because I hate the memory of wearing that fucking Alice pack in the Scouts is all.

>I don't really get the shilling or bitching about them.
people have unrealistic as hell expectations from them at the same time they dont have much experience with many other backpacks.
if theyeve never handled any other large backpack before its omg its great. hey it held up longer than my jansport from highschool. if youve held a backpack made in the past decade you think wow this things fucking heavy why are people recommending these?
if you used a bunch its just yep thats an alice.

There's some good threads up on BOOMARFCOM, naturally half the images have expired webhosting jpegs but the ones that people have done look pretty damn good. Just now that you should dip and look, you can over due it pretty quickly. Nylon looks wet how it will once it's dry, cotton blends tend to look darker when wet. To keep this on topic, I've got an ALICE load bearing belt and rig but the M12 style holster that was Spaghetti surplus and even though the picture looked OD it appears to be lighter than ranger green so I'm considering dyeing it to match. If I do end up dyeing it I'll post before and after pics on Jow Forums for anyone interested.

theres already a thread about dying old acus

>you think wow this things fucking heavy why are people recommending these?
This is something I see a lot on /out/, and that makes sense considering the modern internal or external frame backpacks are so light (thanks to aluminum and other modern construction) and have such high volumes.

Here's mine.

Molle II pack straps and kidney pad, buttpack on top of Alice pack flap
Fastex buckles replacing the metal ones
2 canteens and 2 sustainment pouches on either side (1x M60 SAW gunner pouch, 1x British blow out pouch)
Inside I keep bedding and tarp in the main pouch
Maps in the top flap
Flashlights and firekit in one Alice external pocket
Center pocket has first aid
Last pocket has various tools and random things I will use often (gloves, sunscreen...)
I keep food in the top buttpack

Attached: sketch-1555381266670.png (960x720, 1.65M)

I've used 7 different varieties of military issued rucksack. They all suck for carrying any actual weight. You can mod an ALICE to suck somewhat less, but that involves spending 2-5x what the pack itself cost, and it will still be inferior to an ILBE (which in turn is inferior to even a chinkshit hiking backpack, which in turn is inferior to any actual quality hiking backpack).

But anyway, to make an ALICE bearable:
>MOLLE II shoulder straps and waistbelt
>fastex buckles on front pockets and main straps
>second set of retention loops for top straps
>extra tether points at packbag corners so it doesn't wobble as much on the frame
>frame shelf

95%+ of ALICE frames on the surplus market are aluminum, and the frame alone still weighs north of 3lbs. Occasionally you'll find an OG steel one, and the frame alone on that weighs around 6lbs.
>tfw got issued an OG one that had to have been very first iteration because it wasn't even nylon, the pack bag was cotton canvas, and empty it weighed 17lbs
And this was 3 years after the MOLLE 1 pack came out, we still had to use ALICE packs because the MOLLE 1 wasn't jumpable.

Well I tried it for camping a couple times and it was okay, but I only use it for ruck based exercising now (really adds to the suck factor) seeing as it was only $20 and I can get another for the same price if it breaks.

> empty it weighed 17lbs
>go on a 60lb ruck
>1/4th of that is the ruck itself

Another thing that makes the Alice significantly better is a Down East Industries 1606AC pack frame. I also forgot to mention it in

And by that point you'll have spent more money in a vain and failing attempt at unfucking the ALICE than you would have just buying an ILBE or Osprey.

I've had mine since my senior year of high school. It was already beaten and torn a bit, but it was nothing serious. Still as intact as the day I got it. The only thing that bothered me was the straps would come off when I would least expect it, making it a really awkward moment when that one kid with the military backpack had to recover his dignity. I fixed it just by knotting it. Otherwise that was my only real complaint

I should replace the buckles soon, these things take too damn long to open. I might get one in woodland eventually bc woodland makes my pp big, but I'd rather get a frame and complete my ALICE set up first. I haven't actually gone hiking or camping with it, but I would really like to eventually. All it does now is act as a poorly maintained bug out bag.

Attached: 20190415_222630.jpg (4032x3024, 3.47M)

>that one kid with the military backpack
Why did my dumbass feel so superior for using an alice pack in middle school

Don't worry senpai, we've all been there in some way or another.

same reason why the adult versions of 'that kid' feel superior for EDCing several knives and a 5 million lumen tactical flashlight.

Beginner hikers and /out/ people arent buying ILBEs and Ospreys for the most part and the Alice is cheap. It's cheap and can be slowly upgraded over time as the hiker develops new skills or needs. I'd say an ILBE-style pack is something you get for yourself after you have become experienced and know for sure what you need. An Alice is a perfect beginner pack though (imo).

What the fuck is this thread?
Alice is okay but outdated, and the Molle is more modular but a bit less robust. I don't know about these other retarded anons going on about Alice in middle school, or GI bill vets using their Molles as a bookbag. This place has become so tiring.

>An Alice is a perfect beginner pack though
nah the only thing its good at is being cheap.
when the thing costs 20-50 bucks and its only competition is random chinese shit off amazon that cost 20-50 bucks yeah it stands out cause it wont fall apart.
if alices sold for 200 dollars not a single soul would recommend them for anything ever.

molle looks stupid though

Who gives a shit how it looks? I don't need to have a metal bar riding into my back in order to impress other hipster faggots.

yeah and so does wearing a piece of scaffolding on your back. besides, you only hate molle because its popular with people you detest.

>Who gives a shit how it looks
me
>popular with people you detest
what

Thankfully, nobody cares about your opinion or the fact that you don't know how to reply on Jow Forums. So you got that going for you.

>nobody cares about your opinion
Well its my opinion that you're great but nobody cares so sucks to be you
>you don't know how to reply on Jow Forums
forgot to click my bad

>not having a Molle 2 assault pack in the uncommon yet badass and aesthetic woodland camo.

Attached: 13289.jpg (880x880, 229K)

>woodland camo
>uncommon
Dude if theres a single camo patterns that humans might be genetically predisposed to recognize due to how many wars its fought in, its M81 woodland. That pattern is like 75 years lol.

They made very few woodland molle 2 assault packs, woodland was at the end of it's rope when they made them.

ACU and the others are a dime a dozen, the woodland packs usually sell north of $100

I find mine quite comfortable with the kidney belt and the frame. Would recommend.

Attached: 56553699_266187661002402_2256449661244014592_n.jpg (1920x1072, 98K)

Phil is weaker than a 12 year old girl, no surprise

>uncommon
>woodland
excuse me what

Shut the fuck up phil

>spending x on an alice pack
>vintage jansport hiking packs are 3x cheaper

how old were you when you received the /out/ pill?

Attached: Polish-Army-Teepee-Tent-Lavvu-_1.jpg (300x400, 21K)

Wheres a good place to get a frame for cheap? I want one for my DIY flamethrower

Woodland molle 2's are rare/ uncommon

you think they were making much woodland gear in 2004-2005?

Check your local small surplus shops. I got a jungle frame at the one in my city. If you're in america your odds are exponentially better of finding one. Worst case can always look online.

You'll want to use some dark green with some brown. Brown on its own will turn them purple. Dark green on its own will make them a greyish green.

That's just a backpack, fagtron

What are some good online stores to purchase an ALICE pack from? I live in Australia and the ADF doesn't sell off nearly much milsurp as the US Armed Forces. ALICE seems like a good choice for weight distribution as I recently found out I've got an L1 wedge fracture and I don't want to risk fucking it up with a normal backpack. Cheers lads

Phil isn't wrong. Alice packs suck, anyone recommending them probably doesn't go very far.
I used surp ones with dad when he'd take me trapping as a kid. The metal will dig into you.
If you want a good pack that can carry a lot of shit. Look up external frame hunting backpacks.
They are designed for carrying game out of the woods, so they are great at disputing loads. You can easily carry your own body weight+ for miles. They usually also have a place to strap on your rifle and a place for your pistol so they are especially great for Jow Forumsmmandos.
Look for the Alps Outdoor commander as a cheap option. Only issue I have with it is it is too big for a weekend load, so you have to strap it down tight.

Is there an external frame pack that’ll take Alice shit? Surely someone must have improved the whole thing by now.

Tactical Tailor MALICE

Niceee

I've done some mild rucking with my Alice, and my biggest complaint is that it feels cramped even when I am not packing much. I don't find it too uncomfortable though I much prefer the Mystery Ranch I wear when I'm out on wildland fire calls. I can hike up and down mountains in that thing all day long and having it on your hips seems to give your back a break, especially when bent over all day swinging a tool.

Alices are fuckhuge. are you sure you have a large and not a medium?

No I do have a medium, but the large really does not seem much bigger. My kit honestly is pretty minimalist and yet I feel like I always struggle to find room for my water and rations. I think it has more to do with the layout than anything. Been thinking about an ILBE to replace it,
or maybe a Mystery Ranch Overload because I do like external frame packs.

Large Alice is a black hole. You can always fit one more thing.

Jansport Transport Masterrace

Attached: 20170908_200216-01.jpg (2880x1770, 3.77M)

What kinds of vintage jansport packs do you reccomend? I want to replace my ALICE pack but im not sure whats good and whats crap with old Jansport stuff.

plus its on sale right now

All the old Kelty, Gregory, Jansport, etc external frame packs are basically the same. Just be sure the frame fits your back, they came in multiple sizes.

Im stuck getting one off ebay, any reccomendations on picking the right size frame? Im a 5'9" manlet

I have one of these. Royal Marines Arctic Bergan. Super comfy and great weight distribution. Managed to pick mine up for £40.

Attached: 01492-2_1024x1024.jpg (817x1024, 126K)

Medium frame. Look for contoured shoulder straps and a well-padded hip belt. The ones from the 80s and 90s are usually good. The ones from the 70s and earlier usually have straight shoulder straps and the padding has often hardened and deteriorated. Also look at the pictures carefully and make sure the mesh backing on the frame is intact and all the pins that hold the pack to the frame are present.

Why the fuck does the Army suck at making rucks so FUCKING BADLY.
I mean just look at the MOLLE 2 vs an ILBE, it doesn't even compare.

Attached: ilbe.jpg (1000x1000, 211K)

for comparison. Pathetic.

Attached: molle.jpg (500x342, 44K)

Thanks Man.

Because the Army designs their own and the Marines contract out to Arc'teryx

go suck a crayon, both of those are fucking garbage when compared to MALICE packs.

nah, MALICE is easily beaten by the ILBE. They're waaaaay overrated for the price they charge, just get a Mystery Ranch.
I ain't a Marine, I'm just mad about having to hump those pieces of shit when better options are used by the shittier service.

you used to be able to get one done up outside of bragging for around 200$ all in, including the old surplus pack. how much is one now?

Wait, the metal rucksack frame just sits against your back? Without any padding?

tactical tailor's selling the OG for 300 and v2 for 400. And the V1 doesn't even come with a frame.
Also I just realized Mystery Ranch rucks are like 700 bucks, holy hell.
It doesn't touch your back, the waist belt and top strap prevent that.

if you have any serious muscle in your back though you will need the malice frame or it will rub.

yeah I saw that, i still stand by the malice for the price point as long as you get one done up from a surplus pack at a sew shop outside of bragg or Benning. that's all we used to use in regiment unless you're a huge gear queen and bought a mystery ranch.

>mfw I'm issued a mystery ranch pack

Attached: smug.jpg (499x499, 26K)

I don't care for the design, even though it has worked well for me
>also, how the fuck can a plastic frame creak so damn much???

How gov procurement works:
>ok we need a thing that meets this list of standards
>lmao these standards suck ass and are 20 years outdated, who came up with this shit?
>we have teams of eggheads who do it, just make something that fulfills the criteria
>ok fine
>Now we have 20 different products that fulfill the criteria, we're going to pick the cheapest one
>b-b-but this one has nice features and stuff
>was it on the list we gave you?
>no but-
>then fuck off, we're going with the cheapest one
1 year later
>hey government we're going to need to make a slight modification to that contract we signed with you last year. we're now charging 400% more for the same item, because of reasons
>fuck the things are already being deployed and we'll look like retards if we stop halfway, ok deal

i am wearing half of my two man flecktarn tent right now. thank you good sir

Took mine out today, was pretty comfy and held the weight nicely. Didn't have it fully loaded but did have 350 rounds of ammo in it which isn't light either. Overall was nice. Was good to also use as a rest while shooting prone.
>10/10 would go innawoods again!

Attached: Vz with backpack.jpg (1080x1183, 306K)

>great weight distribution
>flimsy floppy waistbelt that attaches in the middle of the frame
doubt.jpg

MOLLE 2 is like...9 years older than the ILBE (2003 vs 2012). It's also mostly made by literal blind retards (Skilcraft) instead of an actual company (ILBE is designed by dedbirb and manufactured by Propper). MOLLE 2 is also a slightly improved iteration of the MOLLE 1 system, which is 15 years older than the ILBE.

I loved having an ALICE, always got jabbed by 1SG for being “old school”. Big fan of the metal frame, but food for thought. Why not gut it so it’s just the ruck and frame, then replace with with 3rd party or current issue straps and kidney strap.

It won’t look pretty but it’s comfy as fuck. Plus my ruck never got dirty because it was in my closet with my other TA-50

But I could bear weight better as opposed to the current issue Ruck. Sold it since my duties changed to where I don’t dismount and need a 3 day sustainability pack and all my gear.

Thats not my pic, its just some photo from google images. When its adjusted its great.