Why

why arent there smaller cartridges made from plastic like shotgun shells?

Attached: 99846i4_ts.jpg (1155x1155, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fQR21EcH8Rs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ok so first off

And secondly

in conclusion

Shotshells are far lower pressure than handgun and rifle cartridges, therefore it's much easier to make them out of plastic. Remember that shotshells used to be made out of paper!

These days polymer cartridge cases for military rounds is a thing that's currently being researched. It has been successfully tested and will probably be used in the near future. Our plastics technology wasn't good enough to do that years ago, but it is now. Shotshells got done first because they were much easier due to the lower pressure.

What are needlefire guns?

like a mini-shell, or a .410, or snake shot?

Attached: 563bebc9caa53.image.jpg (400x317, 25K)

guns that were almost unilaterally underpowered

Never seen one of them with a plastic hull.
Also, they're total shit unless you have a smooth bore to shoot from.

Basically predecessors to the modern brass cartridge. You’d have a bullet attached to a paper tube containing powder and a primer. To fire, the gun pierces the tube with a needle, striking the primer, and firing the round.

The Chassepot's cartridges were roughly equivalent to .45-70 and I haven't heard anyone call that underpowered.

>make a smaller version of an obsolete design

>What are needlefire guns?
What about them? I have no idea what you are trying to imply.

Needlefire guns had extra parts that attempted to obturate the bore to make up for the paper cartridges, and they didn't have very good gas seal in the end anyway. I'm not sure what needlefire has to do with the discussion at hand.

>The Chassepot's cartridges were roughly equivalent to .45-70
No. Not even close. Lighter bullet at significantly lower velocity even compared to trapdoor springfield level 45-70.
>386gr bullet at roughly 1340fps vs 405gr bullet at 1400fps (original) or 1750fps (trapdoor-safe modern load)

Neither are underpowered, although the bullet designs of the era (for both) left something to be desired.

>Pressure is lower

Yep. OP this thread embarrasses me on your behalf. Go look up the SAAMI specs on a 12 gauge vs the humble .22lr

>>look guise I found a single exception!

obsolete and not very good

>exception
Rimfire cartridges CAN'T be high pressure because the brass needs to be thin enough to ensure enough deformation to actually set off the primer.
The .17 HMR is too high pressure for straight blowback and it runs only at 26000 PSI.
9x19 runs at what, 33000+ PSI?
Meanwhile, the highest pressure shotshell SAAMI has in their documentation is a 3.5" 12 gauge at 14000 PSI.

Jow Forumsek

Attached: 1551457130395.png (246x301, 115K)

Because I can't reload that faggot. I hate you buyfags.

You can reload shotshells...

>MakeMyPistolSmoothbore.jpg

100% legal in Canada. :^)
youtube.com/watch?v=fQR21EcH8Rs

I meant if cartridges were made out of plastic.

Aren’t shotshells the easiest thing to reload?

As long as the pressures are low, you'll still get some good life out of a thermosetting polymer cartridge.

can you even resize a polymer cartridge by just sticking it in a die? Also I load my shit HOT H O T.
H O T
O
T

Attached: het.jpg (673x468, 25K)

>they're total shit
precisely.

Hey, retard.

He didn't, though, because he's a retard.

Attached: shotgun pressure is lower.png (1262x1425, 362K)

That would be the point. Average pressure on the 12 gauge is about 11k PSI. SAAMI rates 22lr as 24k PSI

>refutes premise that shotshells have lower pressure by citing evidence that shotshells are lower pressure
>That would be the point.
???
One of us is definitely retarded, but I'm no longer sure which.

I agreed with first post said
>shotshells lower pressure
and added
>do your homework OP
people thought I actually said
>lul 22lr is lower pressure
when I did in fact know that doing homework would show shotshells are lower pressure.