What is the best barrel length for a responsible citizen living in a city?

What is the best barrel length for a responsible citizen living in a city?

Attached: IMG_0776.jpg (736x681, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sQBn-JUG0do
ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/MOLON/Black Hills 5.56mm 50gr TSX.htm
ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/223 Barrier Rounds.htm
specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-w-nickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/
apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a519801.pdf
smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1381
dtic.mil/ndia/2003smallarms/john.ppt
blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Carbine/p/103167251/category=6464009
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

.300 Blackout out of a 7.5" barrel

All responsible urban comrades must immediately turn in their assault weapons and clips.

~4", since you're going to be CCing a pistol innacity

This. Your AR isn’t going to do shit when you’re getting mugged in a gas station or parking lot.

As for AR’s 14.5 or 16 inches. It literally does not matter as long as your gun is built properly by a professional and is reliable.

Attached: A95F0F42-ADBE-479C-AF33-B45E8FA34BC4.jpg (4032x3024, 1.26M)

11.5 pistol, failing that 16 carbine

5.56? 16"
300 blk? 9"

Between 6" and 9". I hear longer is a pain in the ass.

These are pretty ideal.

>Your AR isn’t going to do shit when you’re getting mugged in a gas station or parking lot.
Bullshit.
youtube.com/watch?v=sQBn-JUG0do

>peak freedom
how can yuros compete with having a girl and loaded draco in their black charger?

shortbbarreled is a must, but pistols are a lot more convienient for coneal and carry.

Literally nothing else because you’ll need maneuverability over range as a civvie

11.5" is peak for any civilian

>can't maneuver anything longer than 12.5"
jesus user, it's an AR not a cock in your ass

Marines kicked doors with 20" m16s, their grandparents did it with 24" garands. Just because you can doesn't mean you should have to.

10.5" is the shortest you should go before your ballistics turn to ass.
11.5" is better in pretty much every single way. Significantly less gas blowback and less recoil (inb4 some nogunz starts talking shit about 5.56 recoil). Anything bigger and I feel like you might as well go with a 14.5" pinned and welded.

What 11.5" barrel would be most decent?

Daniel Defense and BCM are well known brands that have very good repeatable accuracy.

Attached: 29960772594_6f16e7a24f_b.jpg (1024x683, 118K)

I'm tempted to keep my mk18 clone 10.3". Might as well since I'm moving into Seattle.

18”
t. live on 8th floor

how short is too short?

Attached: 20190416_171255e.jpg (3264x1836, 2.13M)

fucking Atlanta

BCM sucks and that’s a 10.3 colt you posted

Ok, this is kinda hard because it depends on what you need and want from a rifle. It boils down to a few key factors:
>chrome lined or no?
I recommend NOT getting chrome lined. It can negatively affect accuracy. It's really only useful on machineguns and slavshit with their fucked up jackets. Get a nitrided barrel.
>stainless or no
For an 11.5 I would definitely say you don't want stainless. It has a shortened lifespan and any accuracy advantage from stainless steel will hardly be noticeable at ranges you shoot a pistol at.
>barrel profile
Thinner barrels heat up faster. They will lose accuracy as a result as they heat up. They're also lighter.
>barrel steel
4140 is poorfag shit. 4150 is good.
>CHF or no
CHF barrels cost more. They hold up to automatic fire better and might have a greater service life. Unless you shoot a lot more than the average person, you probably won't wear a barrel out. You'll pay more for something you realistically don't need. But, fuck it, barrels actually don't cost too much so it's up to you.

On the lower end I'd go for ballistic advantage. They have a sub-MOA guarantee and won't break the bank. They use proper 4150 steel. They are NOT CHF. Find a sale and get it cheap.

Daniel defense barrels cost a bit more, but are pretty affordable to put into your build if you save money on other parts. They have a very well earned reputation for accuracy. They are CHF

BCM's enhanced lightweight barrels are also extremely good and have a great profile that doesn't sacrifice too much strength but saves weight, having a much more sensible profile than government profile barrels. They are CHF

If you're going for a genuine clone, definitely go 10.3
>bcm sucks
You suck.

What's the consensus on Faxon barrels?

11.5" is best for dedicated suppressor or CQB use. 12.5" is best for general use that you also want to be a little more maneuverable for when/if you need to use it in close quarters. 11.5" for the city, 12.5" for the burbs, 18" for the woods.

same tier as ballistic advantage. They're a good budget option

>BCM sucks
Wrong.
>10.3 colt you posted
Wrong.

good quality - better than the price suggests.

lol dude got off on murder charges. Honestly good for him. He protected his ass

this

kys

Nice trips, but I don't think it was murder. He was trying to intimidate the attacker and hold him at bay before getting shot at. Only then did he return fire, killing in self-defense.

0/2

Good and fuck APD for even trying to charge that with their "gun reduction unit" having ass.

7.5" 5.56 is fine, just use good ammo and not M855.
TSX or Gold Dots will expand out to 150-200 yards even out of a barrel that short, and it'll be way more convenient for maneuvering in and around vehicles and buildings.
It'll be loud, but if you run a linear comp instead of a flash hider or, God forbid, a muzzle brake, it'll be tolerable enough.

Attached: 50gr TSX gelatin 8 vs 20.jpg (1024x929, 105K)

>7.5" 5.56 is fine, just use good ammo and not M855.
>TSX or Gold Dots will expand out to 150-200 yards even out of a barrel that short
Motherfucking prove it. Because that is a load of horse shit.

They're designed to do their thing down to like 1600 fps and they make ~2200 at the muzzle, do the math yourself, fag

Attached: hk53_02.jpg (800x486, 49K)

Really? Because here's a Black Hills rep telling you that from a 20" barrel, 50gr TSX is only good to 200y. Not a barrel less than half that length.

Attached: no that's wrong.jpg (1529x262, 35K)

wouldn't that depend on the caliber and what you're using it for

Yes, the bullet used in the Black Hills 50gr TSX load, specifically, is an exception to the rule because, as the Black Hills rep says, that specific bullet is designed to be extra tough so it can function after penetrating auto glass, etc. which limits its ability to expand at low velocities.
Normal TSXes like the 55gr, 62gr, and even the 50gr that's available as a reloading component expand down to 1900 fps (my bad), which will get you 200m of effective range with a 2200 fps muzzle velocity.

>1900FPS
You're getting to the point where it's only barely at expansion speed as it leaves the muzzle, and that's with the less tough 50gr, so I hope you got a good reloading rig to go with your AR. With the heavier ones you're fucked. You're going way too slow for the heavier bullet. So no, there is no way in any hell you are effective to 150 yards and especially not 200 yards with a 7.5".

You're also going so slow the round has few of the wounding characteristics typical of rifle rounds, you're relying purely on hollowpoint-like physical expansion of the bullet. Very impressive expansion from that gel testYou need to be over 2200FPS. 7.5 Is only viable for blowing big fireballs out of a gun with zero railspace. No, I don't want to be shot with it. But 3" isn't a lot, just ask your mother.

If you bump it up to 10.5 or even better 11.5, you're going to have a gun that runs much smoother, and will be launching those expensive little 50gr TSX's at far superior velocities.

Also, your ballistics gel picture is cropped. Someone removed the part where it says it's 10.5 vs 20". NOT 8" as your image title claims. I'm going to assume that's an honest mistake though, as there is a conflicting page on arfcom claiming it is the results of an 8" barrel with the same image. Just know that is not what 50gr TSX does from an 8", but a 10.5.

The image is originally from here
ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/MOLON/Black Hills 5.56mm 50gr TSX.htm
You or someone else got the misleading, cropped version from here:
ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/DocGKRData/223 Barrier Rounds.htm

Attached: original 10.5.jpg (524x475, 52K)

>durr chrome lined will ruin your accuracy
>on a fucking 11 inch barrel AR
stop reading there
you mouth breathing retard

>ruin your accuracy
I didn't say that, I said it will negatively affect it.
>11.5
And? I shoot my 11.5 to 400 yards. Or are you the kind of retard who hasn't figured out barrel length doesn't have anything to do with accuracy?

But no, chrome lining isn't the end of the world. There are some chrome lined barrels with pretty impressive accuracy even. But, chrome lining offers almost zero advantage to an AR. You don't have a full retard switch, and even if you did ARs are not well suited to the kind of volume of fire you need chrome lining for. I stand by my statement that chrome is for machineguns and slavshit.

>.223 expanding rounds actually providing rifle like effects at way less than 1900fps
You're talking out your ass.

I'll stop shilling extremely short 5.56 barrels, and I've deleted that gel test pic so I don't accidentally post it again.

I'm e-filing the paperwork for a Mk18 clone (not totally correct obv). Which barrel length if a suppressor is in my future? I'm reading everywhere that the 11.5 is the best of both worlds, but if you're going to go short, might as well get a 10.3/10.5. A shorter length is also more maneuverable with a suppressor, but is an overgassed rifle. I've even seen people complaining that a 11.5 + suppressor is "too long".

The one inch difference between an 11.5 and 10.5/10.3 isn't going to be noticeable when actually in use in terms of maneuvering the thing. OTOH the extra velocity and dwell time will be a constant benefit. IMO 11.5 is the obvious choice.

10.3" with a can is fine, just make sure the gas port is reasonably small (.070 for mixed supp./unsupp., .063 for dedicated supp.)
If it's going to be run suppressed all the time, consider a muzzle brake suppressor mount to act as a sacrificial baffle for the can

Attached: 5qEK5DW.jpg (960x681, 89K)

nice trigger discipline

the general rule is your penis size times 11

Im stuck on this battle ship for life!

Attached: 1517968702184.jpg (540x534, 29K)

Pure hog trash. My 10.3 is fucking earsplitting outdoors with a flashcan and no nearby buildings for the sound to bounce off of. The mere thought of shooting it innaroom causes tinnitus.

>7" inch 5.56 barrels

Not even once.

i will go with my 11.5" with a suppressor attached, since i live in the middle of the city and CQC will be def. a tobic. And if i can't reach for my hearing protection, the suppressor will do its job.

Attached: Primsec1.jpg (3024x1701, 2.33M)

Is an 11.5 inch THAT loud without a can? I have heard that 10.3 is bad, but I feel like that extra little bit would go a long way to reducing the report.

I rented a 7.5" AR "pistol" at my local indoor range and it was fine; it didn't even feel as loud as my 4" .44 Mag.
Maybe your earpro just sucks.

revolvers are leaking gas everywhere bro of course a .44 mag is loud

N

yeah, believe me...loud enough to damage your hearing, espacially with a break like i have.

Attached: 3gun.webm (720x406, 56K)

sorry brahs

Attached: 3gun.webm (720x406, 2.62M)

>responsible
Git out

and with suppressor

Attached: BCM11.5 .webm (450x900, 1.71M)

Short of a can for sbr's, what's the best muzzle device? A linear comp? A qd blast diverter?

I have an 8" 5.56 pistol that has a flash can.

With the flash can, the pistol doesn't seem any louder when compared to my 16" carbine. I do get occasional flash, but nowhere as bad as Pic related, but not mine. No photos of mine atm.

Attached: 8_556MLOK9PDW-5.jpg (987x922, 125K)

18".

Pants on head retarded for civilian uses. If 14.5 is optimal for actual infantry uses, there is no reason to tack on extra length and weight to a rifle that will amount to little more than a home defense wall hanger.

Attached: 1866565340.jpg (610x400, 92K)

can't put a rifle gas system on that, kiddo

O T
I N F R I N G E D

Zero flinch with the concussion master 9000. That takes some conditioning.

Why does it matter if youre a civilian or not

Because you aren't carrying your rifle outside the wire or around a city on a daily basis. Police officers and soldiers are exposed to threats from longer ranges than civilians on average.

that's where you're wrong, kiddo
specialopstactical.com/product/14-8-nitride-premium-siphon-agp-w-nickel-boron-rifle-length-barrel/

Attached: 14.8_AGP_barrel_gas_block_tube_.jpg (2000x800, 43K)

Peak niggerdom

Attached: nathan-0130.png (480x606, 233K)

Staymad Eurofag. Sorry your noguns ass is so chapped.

Chrome lining makes rust impossible retard
That's a pretty big plus

Tom?

Shorter than 10.3 would be my guess. Studies from Crane seem to have informed the SOCOM armament procurement apparatus that anything shorter is unreliable both in terms of carbine function and terminal ballistic performance. Given that the 10.3 inch barrel Mk. 18 MODs or CQBR receivers are wildly popular with anyone who can choose them for combat, I'd say you've got a winner with that length.

Attached: Seal-Boarding.jpg (580x885, 86K)

It's a Daniel Defense barrel.

Crane went with 10.3" for the sole reason that that's the shortest you can cut an M4 barrel without having to grind off the bayonet lug.
It's 100% about reducing labor and 0% about ballistics; if it were about ballistics or function, it'd probably have like a 12.5" barrel, which would have the added benefit of allowing use of a barrel-mount M203 and a suppressor.
There are no "studies from Crane"; if M4 barrels with low-profile gas blocks had been in inventory when the Mk18 was being formulated it'd probably have like a 9" or so barrel and everybody in the "tactical community" would be convinced that 9" was the magic length below which 5.56 turns into .22 WMR.

a2 is always the answer.

>There are no "studies from Crane"
Yeah there are. A number of them including the actual adoption findings from the CQBR program ppt which I can't seem to find for some reason. It's out there.

Ballistics tests:
apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a519801.pdf

It was adopted and tested with MK262

smallarmsreview.com/display.article.cfm?idarticles=1381

dtic.mil/ndia/2003smallarms/john.ppt
"Minimize length and weight of primary weapon" while "maximizing the current logistics chain", i.e., make the gun as short as possible using barrels that are already in inventory.
Nothing about 10.3" having any special ballistic characteristics, as one would expect in a world where guns like the HK 53 (8.3") and SG 552 (9") exist.

Attached: whysbr.png (1325x995, 197K)

>What is the best barrel length for a responsible citizen living in a city?
20 feet, you'll be able to tag niggers on the other side of town.

8 inch 308 with a Lantac Dragon

*5.3"

Attached: hk_engraving_5.jpg (833x425, 68K)

can't imagine that kinda line of sight but I'm sure if you're not wearing body armor or going door to door the extra barrel length won't hurt (assuming you've got a sidearm for innavehicle) but 16" seems to offer most of the benefits of a carbine while supporting reliable midlength function and skirting NFA territory

yeah, a few thousand rounds and you got it good.

isn't 300 BLK basically 7.62x39?

20" for the AR15, because when you whip out the rifle you may aswell not look like a homosexual.

Attached: download.jpg (426x118, 6K)

>16"
>supporting reliable midlength function
14.5" midlength is reliable enough for USSOCOM

My faxon is great. Highly recommended

>Tom?

Maybe

Attached: 4DFC3406-386F-4E4C-99C3-0CD94E237057.jpg (900x900, 72K)

10-14”.
Keep it under 12 if you plan on using a suppressor

>reliable enough for USSOCOM
Who also isn't subject to the NFA

Irrelevant anymore. Brace everything.

Did the ATF change their minds about welded-on muzzle devices while my back was turned?

Attached: DKf9NedVYAAATBC.jpg (1023x1008, 160K)

They shoot really good but they're horrendously overgassed for Tulafags' sake so consider investing in a Black River Tactical EZ-Tune gas tube if you don't shoot steel case garbage.
blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-EZTUNE-Gas-Tube-Carbine/p/103167251/category=6464009

Flash can definitely. SBRs/pistols are loud as fuck, and you want that blast diverted as far away from you as possible.

If you're fancy, Surefire Warden setup looks cooler [pic], but literally any cheap flash can off of ebay will do the job

Attached: SurefireWARDEN.jpg (1200x572, 45K)

The Warden setup also has the disadvantages of weighing as much (with its mount) as a KX3 while being more expensive and not as good, and making you look like a poseur if you don't own any Surefire cans, or at least have one in NFA Jail.

Attached: Noveske0042.jpg (1024x768, 141K)

28 inches

Attached: Untitled.png (1168x764, 456K)