Can we have a thread about the XM556 Microgun?

Can we have a thread about the XM556 Microgun?

Proofs: youtube.com/watch?v=P4veQxu-NWM

Attached: Empty-Shell-Gatling-gun-XM556_001.jpg (640x360, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM133_Minigun
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalhead_(Black_Mirror)
youtube.com/watch?v=x6DknH7Z3Co
youtube.com/watch?v=1yB49G756OI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Looks stupid

no u

Would this make a good concealed carry?

Not long enough to make up for your dick?

People really seem to hate it

I read somewhere the military is looking into it. What possible reason would they need a small caliber minigun for?

Also this barrel shroud looks sick as fuck

Attached: xm556.jpg (1080x1336, 210K)

They are going full Warhammer 40k.

perfect for a demon invasion

Attached: hqdefault (2).jpg (480x360, 18K)

>I read somewhere the military is looking into it
Doubt.
The only thing I can think of is that it might be good for shooting down drones when paired with an electro-optic AI system. But time fused 40mm grenades would make more sense.
This isn't serious speculation. This is just me reaching for anything that the military could consider this for.

>What possible reason would they need a small caliber minigun for?

Attached: download.png (1005x831, 1.37M)

Attached: hqdefault-1.jpg (480x360, 16K)

do they make an uncle mike's holster for this?

A light gunpod for UAV's maybe?

Microgun robo-hounds are ludicrously impractical but I absolutely love the idea of them.

>demon invasion happens
>everyone is doomguy
>demon invasion subverted
>now we are the demons
>we demand their virgins
And that spawnchilds is how hell was annexed by America

maybe for the same reason a .22 machine gun existed: to defeat light armor and with current technologies, in very specific places. For example, with a computer doing the targeting, you could shred the driver of a vehicle and leave everything else more or less intact.

Holy sweet tap dancing christ. It all makes sense now.

Attached: 1427561279620.jpg (219x187, 10K)

Does this thing cycle with the recoil of the previous shot or is it electrically powered?

Attached: 1515426060007.png (525x384, 317K)

i couldnt afford the ammo for it

electric

Attached: 1491112218724.jpg (463x417, 57K)

Tactical Dreadnought armor soon

Attached: SH assault cannon.jpg (640x372, 102K)

Why hasn't anyone made a recoil driven minigun?

Russia has a self powered rotary gun in 7.62x54r. I believe it's gas operated.

AI-targeted anti-personnel weapon

holy fuck you weren't joking

Attached: GShG_762.jpg (1500x650, 131K)

So does that have a quick electric impulse to start it spinning then its recoil driven until the operator releases the trigger?

>self powered rotary gun

because of course the Russians would do something that dumb...

Smoothbrain here, why is that a bad idea

We did it too, just didn't get adopted for some reason.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM133_Minigun

An electronically driven gun fires as fast as the motor can get up to speed.
A gas driven gun gets up to speed as fast as it fires.

Basically, gas power would give you a video-game style rotery gun that ramps up gradually.

But you can run it without a giant battery pack.

I would love to see a video of one of these firing.

Good home defence weapon when you cant see facecamo painted robbers

Generally speaking the reason you're using a rotory instead of a single barrel is because you need a fuckton of rounds on point very quickly. Ramp-up defeats the purpose.

$40,000 of damage to your walls, plumbing, electrical, and windows to rescue your 600 dollar TV. Fuck yeah my dude

Attached: 28469.gif (500x227, 348K)

Is that a famas?

No no, it's gas powered, meaning it runs on gasoline. It has an external engine

It needs a fucking shoulder stock. Were the makers of this thing doing this with the intention of never taking this concept seriously?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metalhead_(Black_Mirror)

youtube.com/watch?v=x6DknH7Z3Co
GUYS, GUYS, IT DOESN'T NEED RAMP-UP TIME, I'M FUCKING HARD

Suck it faggot, we powah armor now

Attached: 1530381715704.jpg (719x532, 54K)

Fuck off with your sarcasm, I paid 3 grand for that bitch, its a matter of principle.

You know the ramp-up time is mostly a video game/movie meme, right? We figured out how to make high torque electric motors long before the Minigun was a thing.

so basically The Salvation War.

ive seen this somewhere before...

Attached: armrover_final.png (357x364, 23K)

>be Jamal Demitrius Washington Brown
>random nigwalk
>see window slightly ajar
>hey this cracka's apartment looks like easy pickings
>shimmy window open
>climb in
>luckily my dark completion acts as the perfect camouflage during the night
>see brand new flatscreen
>gibs_me.dat
>hear a whirring sound coming down the hall
>suddenly my body is shot with a unrelenting stream of lead
>now I am literally the human pumice
>in my dying moments as my vision begins to fade, I see a man wearing nothing but a bathrobe and a stahlhelm standing over me
>sheeeeeeeeiiiit

Thank you for this user

I need it

Attached: Pacification_Bot.jpg (178x134, 10K)

This.

Electric is relatively easy, the vehicle you're mounting the gun on already has power, and it still cycles unfired rounds.

This

so hows does an ameriburger go about getting one of these? is there some way the law differentiates between electricly powered and recoil/gas operated guns? I know

>I know
oops i mean i know that gatling fall into a different category since they are hand cranked. So then what happens if you sitck an electric motor on one that you already have? Is that illegal like turning a semi-auto in full-auto?

>Smoothbrain here, why is that a bad idea
A self-powered minigun stops firing if one of its rounds doesn't fire for some reason. That's not that big a deal for a normal manned machine gun, but it's a huge fucking problem in an aircraft mounted gun because you can't just reach over to clear the malfunction. Electric or hydraulic powered guns aren't affected by dud rounds.

>I read somewhere the military is looking into it
Did you time-travel back to the 1960's? They did look into it. Decades ago.

>Gasoline

>external internal combustion engine

>peak autism

Yes, same type of illegal as a shoestring MG

it might not start out at max rate of fire, it sounds self defeating to make a gas/electric hybrid as you still have the battery/motor weight.

should be in .22LR

>and 12 inches long

If the electricity was only used for starting firing and clearing duds then you could get by with a much smaller motor and a much smaller battery compared to a gun that was wholly dependent on the electric power to function. Consider the difference in size between a normal car's starter motor and battery with the motor and the battery pack in an electric car.

>What possible reason would they need a small caliber minigun for?
Maybe they have large lots of ammunition about to expire and need to use it up quick?

Actually, this might not be as retarded as it seems. For large-ish civvie drones, a lot of people are going to gasoline generators powering small battery banks, feeding the engines. It's lighter than straight batteries, and it gives you longer flight times. As shitty as it seems on the face of it, I imagine this will be the near future on anything approaching man portable or man sized robots. Check out Tech Ingredients on YouTube. He's doing a series on it now. Also, he's making a sound cancelling box to stuff it in.

Those small 2-stroke engines used on radio control models and small power equipment like chainsaws and brush trimmers have crazy good power-to-weight ratios. I can easily see one of those being used to run an electric generator.

That said they do have many disadvantages: there's a lot more moving parts involved, they make a lot of noise, heat, and toxic exhaust, plenty more opportunities for failure, etc.

It’s apparently been done, but it is probably more of a hassle to have recoil operation than to drive it with a motor. The advantage of exterior drive is a faster spook up and near immunity to bad ammo.

Here's a link to the video I mentioned. youtube.com/watch?v=1yB49G756OI
It's an interesting concept, and I think it opens up some different possibilities. We know the military is field testing those mini tank things, with a gun mounted on them. But you could swap that to a generator and rapid charging capability for soldiers with it. There's no need for it currently, but maybe power armor later. Or, obviously, the minigun OP mentioned, if so inclined. The sound can be overcome somewhat with active noise cancelling.

>The sound can be overcome somewhat with active noise cancelling.
It could be, but that's just adding more complexity. Today's battery tech is far far better than it was when the military first tested this stuff back in the 60's, and it's getting better still. You'd be a fool to design it around an engine today, just use good batteries.

Engines are OK for hobbyists who don't have access to better, and for whom reliability, simplicity, and noise doesn't matter much.

....and in the end you still have the ammo weight problem.

Almost every application a regular minigun does but you can carry more rounds

Why not in 12,7x108? ;3

Attached: 9A624_aviation_heavy_machine_gun_-_TulaStateArmsMuseum2013-44.jpg (2250x1500, 1.79M)

Best sub compact lb for lb there is.

Put it on the back of the next gen load bearing suits. Have it hooked up to a fuckin robot arm or some shit and have that linked to the helmet.
Two fire mode options:

Manual - Linked to the HUD of the helmet and fired where the solider is looking.
Remote - Fired from a display so the solider can remain in cover while maintain effective fire.

This is the future of warfare boys.

Attached: warmachine.jpg (894x1311, 146K)

That's really not the way the tech is tracking, though. They're doing the same thing with high end .mil projects, because gasoline has vastly more energy storage ability. You physically can't pack enough batteries in the same space, for the same weight, and get the same operation time. Watch the vid, he explains that early on. The future might be batteries. But for the next 30 years, it isn't.

Attached: Watch-U.S.-Marines-Training-With-Unbelievably-Futuristic-Combat-Robots-5.jpg (770x514, 91K)

would be cool to have one of these with a miniminigun strapped to the back and 5k rounds of 5.56 to the belly fed up to it while out on patrol.
a few pot shots at you and the thing hoses down a building with a continuous stream of fire while you manuever

well these two ideas together would work.
why arent their patrol partner vehicles like this

Theyce already mounted an M2 on those robo-hounds. This makes sense as an alternative.
Or for sof if they need a small portable minigun they can set up on a mount

I understand all about how the military is using engines, user. What you seem to be missing is that a man-portable firearm has totally different requirements than a vehicle.

the disadvantages of engines are justified in the example you gave. It's not justified for what's basically a fancy machine gun.

More like Philip K Dick's 'Second Variety'

I think mostly it's because when you can have a ma deuce, you take the deuce. Anything else is just a consolation. You get more rounds, and faster, with a 5.56 rotary, but all the drawbacks too. Plus ammo weight isn't really a consideration on something like the MUTT.

Ah, I'm with you now, and I agree. What I'm suggesting would be more if we were in the realm of powered armor, maybe a small generator strapped to their back, or a big ass battery bank, but rechargable from a MUTT like I posted and it has the generator. For the minigun, really your power requirements are only the amount of time it takes to fire the ammo you've got. Which... Wouldn't be much. The Russians run PKM backpacks that hold 550 rounds of 7.52x54r, so double that for 5.56... maybe, what? 15 minutes of run time? That's not a whole lot.

>Tesla designed short range HV energy receiver on back of powersuits
>All combat done within range of giant Tesla coil with original spec tertiary broadcast coil
>Lightning flying into our troops to power their thunder
Shock
And
Awe

My body is ready.

Attached: nonstop warfare violence escalated.jpg (1077x925, 80K)

hog genocide

>have a shroud
>the shroud spins as well
Whats the point?

hdoom becomes reality
I call dibs on cyberdemoness.

What if I have a prosthetic arm, powered by a electrical motor, which can be used to turn a gatling gun hand crank extremely rapidly? Is my arm now a machinegun?

So 5.56 can do anti material work?

Perseverance can do anything.

throw some frangible ammo in that bitch and all you need to replace is drywall, perfect for home defense

Yes

Time fused 40mm? They already tried that w XM25 and its injured the user a few times. Not sure what some 30mm AA turrets do different but regardless I have a feeling this would be cheaper.

Probably so you don't melt your fingers when you go to clear a malfunction. It spins both ways btw.

With a small caliber round,I could see this being useful for suppression. Just fire thousands of small caliber round. Don't see why you would though, I guess if you wanted to save ammo on your actual MGs.

I remember this thing from a few years ago. Thought it was a cool idea. Now it seems kind of silly it's chambered in 5.56 instead of 5.7x28

Would it be worth it to move states, get an FFL and buy 2 of these as post 86 dealer samples so I dual wield them at fudd ranges?

>gas/electric hybrid
This keeps the hippies happy, as you can now say you own a hybrid

What if it identifies as a waterfall?

They're trying to bring walking fire back?

Attached: bar-in-walking-fire-belt-cup.jpg (602x708, 95K)

Alot of Russia's/USSR's Gatling guns & Cannons were Gas/Recoil operated

>Conveniently forgetting that the M61A1 Vulcan has a mode where it will spin the barrels to ensure first burst doesn't suffer from spool lag

Its 16 pounds as is, adding a stock configured for shoulder firing would greatly increase that weight and would be unmanageable in firing accurately with a cheek weld anyways. Not to mention you'll have the weight of the belt as well. Its basically a meme gun but its still scary as shit no doubt. I'm not even sure I can come up with a scenario for a man portable need for this other than "just because".

Well that's a hell of a lot of portable just because though.

Strelok my son, you are of clearing house. Will you choose shotgun of minimum damage and accuracy, or minigun of fuckwhack?
>later
Ah well, we didnt need that house anyway