What would have happened if the US had picked the .280 and the fal instead of the m14? Would we have ARs today?

What would have happened if the US had picked the .280 and the fal instead of the m14? Would we have ARs today?

Attached: FN-FAL_belgian.jpeg.jpg (300x70, 4K)

Probably. Considering the m14 had no relation to the AR platform.

America would be slightly less American.

On the other hand, the fal would immensely be “more american”

I'd guess he means if we had adopted .280, which is between a rifle and intermediate cartridge, and a rifle with a modern layout, would there have been less impetus to switch to a true intermediate cartridge and the AR15?

Most likely, it would mean we'd be running ar10s in .280 or 6maymay instead of ar15s, or we would have gone to 5.56 very shortly, then back. The same issues would have been a problem with the FAL platform, sadly. It's heavy, not particularly quick in hand, longer, lack of adjustable stock, etc. Plus the doctrine shift to logistical focus that's made us a global juggernaut wouldn't just suddenly go away.

I think there would be a few more dead Muslims

Wasn't the US more likely to pick up the EM-2 than the FAL before the Pentagon went full STOPPING POWER on the rest of NATO?

the ar10 might have still been invented, and it is a pretty good platform. i dont think it would be top spot like it is now though

FAls as ubiquitous as ARs are today

This

>America would be slightly less boomer.
ftfy

Imagine FALs in Vietnam and m60s

Attached: 1hlkzt.jpg (455x256, 26K)

Checked

Attached: 1517173680292.png (540x330, 140K)

That is exactly what I meant thank you for articulating that for me.

>FN makes the M4
>The 249 is an FN product
>The 240 is an FN product
When will amerifats on suicide watch.

Oh please taking the intellectuals of other countries and getting them to work for our benefit is about as American as apple pie.

Attached: tmg-article_default_mobile.jpg (480x325, 27K)

>M60
or unfucking US ordinance and picking the FN MAG originally.

Let's not get crazy here

>unfucking US ordinance
Starting when? Fuck there were so many missed opportunities.
All the BS around the trapdoor, the lewis, the m14, the M60, the whole sight debacle in WW1, the marksmenship focus and constantly repeated learning from combat about what actually is important and then forgetting and making the exact same mistakes next war.

Probably so.
If you think in terms of cartridge, 5.56 and .223 are a pretty natural step from the concept of an assault rifle as the service rifle. Evidence for this being the Soviet implementation of 5.45 and the AK-74 after Vietnam and the introduction of the M16.
Compare the select fire of Euro rifles and an M16. The larger round is pretty unwieldy on full auto.
The firepower of a larger bullet isn't necessarily better in combat scenarios. A 7.62, for example, might annihilate some cinder blocks because the greater bullet diameter, but that's not the same as penetration. The ballistics for an AR round are comparable to heavier round.

True however the 280 may have prolonged that progression