Do you think people who have only ever done sport shooting but were good at it (decent marksmen) could do well in...

Do you think people who have only ever done sport shooting but were good at it (decent marksmen) could do well in military if say... a war came up and they got drafted?

How well would they do in comparison to regular infantrymen who are professional army?

Attached: Feinwerkbau_2800_cover.jpg (1170x610, 312K)

Only if their sport was biathlon, all other sports don't really offer you any advantages because biathlon is mostly about breath and muscle control, something absolutely mandatory for a skilled marksman.

What about regular shooting at a target? Doesn't that alone already make the guy better than a regular inf?

It might if the person is assigned to a role where movement isn't crucial (i.e GPMG gunner, platoon marksman or anything involved with guns on vehicles). The thing is that to be proficient with aiming in a high intensity combat zone, is that breath control when you've been doing nothing for 20 minutes is a lot different than doing the same after running 800 meters with full kit on. Biathlon is a sport that focuses heavily on mastering the latter.

Running with full kit on is important in and of itself. An Olympic shooter can be trained to that standard, sure. But getting to a spot to shoot someone is more important than just being an excellent shot.

/Thread

yet another
>Their guns are s o u l l e s s so they must actually be liberals who hate guns!
>why don't we use full power cartridges for biathalon?
>why isn't 2-gun an olympic sport?

>How well would they do in comparison to regular infantrymen who are professional army?

Being infantry is a lot more than just SHOOTING.

But that shooting part, yeah, they'd know about ballistics and would most likely not only be better, but learn better.

Like someone already said, biathlon - skiing and shooting, both accuracy and performance matter here - is probably closest to what combat would be breathing and shooting wise.

Attached: sport-biathlon-bc-cup-jpg.jpg (804x1077, 308K)

A lot of the "sport" shooting skills and techniques are only able to be used in optimal conditions. What they is impressive but when forced to use techniques and do all the other things a soldier is required to do, they will be above average at best. I have a feeling that a lot of their shooting habits especially will need to be trained away.

Its like asking is formula 1 racecar drivers would make good Uber drivers.

well im in my countries army and the sport shooters are very good at the shooting range but they have no advantages in real combat. because in real combat the individual doesnt count. its all about squad tactics, positioning and the overarching situation. its not hard to shoot a modern assault rifle accuratly over medium distances you can learn that in a day, id rather have 4 guys with a brain and understanding of positioning rather than 4 good marksman desu. its nice to have but they arent supersoldiers.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. When most infantry combat occurs within 200 yes/meters/arshin you don't need to be a master marksman to hit a man sized target and engagements beyond that are settled with some sort of overkill support most of the time. Most raw never touched a gun recruits can be taught in a day to make a man sized shot at those kind of distances.
Like you said, at the shorter distances, tactics play a bigger role than actual skill with a gun.

I would love an all weather biathlon here in the states.

this

That was the orginal purpose of CMP high power competitions.
Target shooting helps a little. Being on a team with strict practice schedules and incompetent but demanding boomer coaches helps more than any shooting sport. Most people who I know did both ended up as decent to good officers.
>I shot in a conference with West Point and Annapolis and currently practice occasionally with Air force.

>not living in the northern states
>not having roller skis for the summer months
West Yellowstone has a fantastic biathlon range, FYI.

>why isn't 2-gun an olympic sport?

Why isn't it?

Attached: 1503861466667.jpg (700x695, 86K)

You know it would only be approved if you ran custom 5000 dollar .22s

Anything competitive is banned in almost all of countries that would participate

Meant to say any guns that are competitive. Centerfire semi auto rifles and pistols are banned in most countries and semi auto shotguns usually have mag limits if they’re even legal. Not to mention most guns would be stupidly loud for the almost exclusively indoor environments shooting events take place in

>Do you think people who have only ever done sport shooting but were good at it (decent marksmen) could do well in military if say... a war came up and they got drafted?
>How well would they do in comparison to regular infantrymen who are professional army?

Far better. Though the forces have some decent shits on their teams, a competing sport shooter would thrast the average serviceman at shooting.Truth that hurts.

32 CF is fully allowed in pistol disciplines. Go learn about what you are trying to talk about

They'd probably have the best chance of standing their ground in case of an invasion or violent uprising, otherwise probably not.

Shooting for sport and being in active combat is like night and day. Or rather, it's like boxing against a sandbag compared to a live opponent who's ducking and diving and hitting you back.

With proper military training some rifle sportsmen might make for outstanding marksmen, but if they just got drafted, were given a short course and then shipped off.. Nah. Regular athletes might fare better.

I'm a member at a local gun-range here in Denmark and we're all a bunch of fat fucks who'd need extensive training to be worth anything in the field.

WI actually. I thought I'd get to do this here but I still manage to be 1.5 hours away from ranges that do this. And the club near Madison's fees were....eye-opening.

And if you've got a link for legit summer biathlon, by all means send it over. I know the athletes use them to stay in training but I haven't been able to track down anything solid for all weather competition.

being able to shoot accurately is about 1% of the job of being an infantryman.

virtually all countries that participate in shooting sports don't allow their citizens to own guns. the teams that compete are either given special exemptions or they go to a different country to train. the same would be true if they introduced two gun and such.

Shooting despite your thoughts are actually a very small part of being a grunt. map reading, hiking, dealing with your platooncommander, being a squadleader wrangling your tards, being a tard getting wrangled by your squadleader, general PT and a whole slew of other shit is arguably much more important. Being a good shoot is important and nice to have, but there is more important things

Sport shooters, probably not.
Hunters, on the other hand, have went on to be war heroes, such as Simo Häyhä and the Red Baron.

Dont run... you will die tired

>Being a good shoot is important and nice to have

and most importantly, of all the things you listed, shooting well is the easiest to learn.

What that guy said. I had a biathalon shooter in my unit for a while and that guy outshot evoryone by a wide margin. Sport shooters and hunters are a mixed bag tho, some excellent shots, others much worse than your average grunt.

How do they pick people for their teams if they can’t get any training on their own soil? How do they get introduced to it?Do they have programs that allow any schmuck to sign up to go from never having held a gun to doing olympic training under some special license? Is that not the same thing as legal gun ownership? Or do they literally have programs to outsource people interested in shooting sports to other countries where it’s legal in some bizarre attempt to maintain their gun control narrative?

Attached: 62838B96-DE0A-4CBA-BD49-6DB514EB3610.jpg (417x378, 58K)

Because it's memery and the vast majority of countries allow guns for sport shooting. Hell, I own AKs for "sport shooting". Because milsurp sport shooting is , incredibly enough, a legit thing.

With bolt actions it's always the goddamn Swiss and the Austrian milsurp that wins, tho.

people that use this shit are faggots. people like paul harrel can outshoot them with a .22 thats literally been cobbled togethor.

Attached: 1555028599423.png (128x144, 52K)

the list of countries able to compete due to their firearms laws would be low.

you can own a .22lr in basically every country on earth user, and that's what's used in Olympic shooting

ah yes the most accurate .22lrs in the world being shot by the best .22lr shooters in the world could definitely be out shot but a shit shot firing a shit gun.

Why are we getting one of these threads every few days now? Is there some obsessive retard out there with some kind of autistic vendetta against target shooting?