Shockwave project

*Update!

Well, I think I'm almost there. The forend was stained with just 2 50% thinned coats of Birchwood Casey Walnut Stain. In the above pic, you can see that it was pretty dark already.

The pistol grip was both lighter, and less red, so I gave it 3 full strength coats of a half & half mix of the above mentioned walnut, and Birchwood Casey Rusty Walnut Stain. I think they're pretty close. The difference won't be noticeable once they're installed.

Both got 6 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Did the first 2 coats very thin, then flat-sanded and steel wooled it between the last 4. I opted not to wet sand the Tru-Oil to fill the pores and hairline natural cracks in the wood. As mentioned above, I'm aiming for a well-used finish on the entire weapon, so leaving the character of the wood and the patina from use was important. The largest of which is is a 2" long scar about ⅓ of the way down the forend. You can see it in the below picture.

Marks like that are 1, difficult to replicate, and 2, nearly impossible to sand out of such an intricate pattern as a corncob forend. The more you sand, the wider the flats look, and the narrower the grooves look. So, I decided to incorporate it into the theme of the weapon, (well-loved but beat up a lil bit).

The gloss showing in the pic will be knocked back to a semi-gloss with Birchwood Casey Stock Sheen and Conditioner. This leaves a semi-gloss sheen to it.

I have to wait a week for all of it to cure, so I'm done for now. The end result will hopefully resembled an old reddish walnut stock from a well-used and well-loved, favorite weapon. This *should match well with Mossberg's Satin Blued Finish, and it's ability to attract dings, dents, scratches, while wearing down quickly on action bars and magazine tube.

Attached: PicsArt_04-19-01.27.39.jpg (1169x1500, 305K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mountsplus.com/cdm-gear-mtrs-mossberg-590-shockwave-light-mount.html
blackgunswood.com/products.html
cabelas.com/product/TACSTAR-SHOTGUN-AR-STOCK-ADAPTOR/2530147.uts
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302923020860
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382736883110
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: PicsArt_04-09-03.46.34.jpg (1500x906, 425K)

Nice blog post OP.

Attached: 1523999870849.jpg (600x367, 28K)

Before pic

Attached: PicsArt_03-30-12.44.37.jpg (1500x514, 279K)

Left side is bare wood.
Right side was just wet with water.

Attached: PicsArt_04-06-03.13.23.jpg (1500x1216, 318K)

The cancer killing Jow Forums

Hehe, yeah I got verbal diarrhea!

Don't pay attention to that fag, anyone who does DIY threads makes good threads

>I sanded and stained my stock.
Is this really worth a thread? This is a pretty mundane upgrade, he's not asking for advice, it really is just a blog update. I didn't make a thread when I replaced my 10/22 stock, or installed NDS irons, no one cares. OP should post this in a DIY thread, or in a shockwave/ shotgun thread.

Shit don't bother me, frendo. I got a big hairy ass. I wouldn't post on Jow Forums if I didn't!

Attached: PicsArt_03-28-04.09.08.jpg (2246x878, 458K)

good job OP

Thanks gize.

The forend was marked 12 inside, but it did not fit. I think it was for an older Mossberg. I had to use a sandpaper wrapped dowel to open the action tube hole. Also had to shorten it. Lotta work!

Attached: PicsArt_03-30-12.43.18.jpg (1500x686, 315K)

this is fucking awesome OP
great job, i think i might go pick up one of these tomorrow
really great job

Attached: clinthattip.gif (500x213, 997K)

Thanks. Gonna be a sweet gun when it's done. I love Mossberg, but they scuff or scratch so damn easy. Rather than having shiny metal wear spots on a shotgun with only 100 rounds through it, I'm camouflaging it with weathered wood.

i remember that heat shield wood combo from another thread....fucking hell that is sexy

>brace isn't wood
Gay

Yeah, it's pretty much my favorite part.

Are there wood braces? I'm considered replacing the buffer tube with a piece of walnut dowel, finished to match.

Nuther pic.

Attached: PicsArt_04-19-11.33.59.jpg (970x1500, 365K)

Very cool, I've been considering getting a shockwave with a totally not a shoulder stock arm brace so I've got a question or three.

1: How's do you like the brace?

2: Can you swap barrels on the Shockwave like the standard Mossberg 18 inch barrel with the 6 round tube?

3: How would you mount a light on it?

that thing is going to get so fucked up in the police evidence locker

Attached: 1507330707276.jpg (699x699, 105K)

> (You)
>Very cool, I've been considering getting a shockwave with a totally not a shoulder stock arm brace so I've got a question or three.
>1: How's do you like the brace?
>2: Can you swap barrels on the Shockwave like the standard Mossberg 18 inch barrel with the 6 round tube?
>3: How would you mount a light on it?

Brace is actually more comfortable than I thought it would be. And because it's softer/more flexible that a stock, even hot slugs aren't a big deal. Very impressed with it.

Note sure on barrel swapping, sorry.

I got the CDM Gear MTRS, mostly for the sling mount, but I think it's very good quality.

mountsplus.com/cdm-gear-mtrs-mossberg-590-shockwave-light-mount.html

I got rid of the front sling swivel cap and made my own light for the front. It's a rechargeable heavy duty mountain bike light.

Attached: PicsArt_04-03-02.23.22.png (1400x1400, 3.62M)

Why, it's 100% legal.

Mossberg Shockwave
Still over 26"
Length of pull is under 13½", so ATF won't shoot my dog.
You can buy this same configuration from manufacturers as standard equipment.

Don't be a pussy, frendo.

Attached: PicsArt_04-20-12.10.06.jpg (1500x647, 156K)

Oh, and I really, really, really like your image. Can I save it?

>heavy duty mountain bike light

That's a neat idea. Someone should manufacture those.

Well. Ok. Might have been interesting to see tho. I guess fuck that anyway, let's just keep up the justify my what I spent on my AR/my bargain AR is great threads. Or glockfag circlejerk/noglocks shitpost threads. Or argue about 9mm vs .45 threads. Those are WAY more interesting than possibly learning some cool shit seeing how some user crafting a new stock for his .22

Goddamn this sure cut a swell with me. Friend, would you ever possibly make a how-to guide for copy-cats? Ones who are retarded or just want to take things the easy way.

>$729
jesus fucking christ rustington

You don't need that. Find a wood forend on ebay, watch some vids on working with Birchwood Casey shit, and dive in.

Gene at blackgunwood sells wood AR grips, but you can find them used on ebay.

The grip adapter is a Tacstar product, easily found online. I got mine at cabelas.

It's really not that hard, buddy. Just buy all the shit now, and looking at it long enough to motivate you to do it.

Write Gene here. Helluva nice guy.

blackgunswood.com/products.html

The stock adapter.

cabelas.com/product/TACSTAR-SHOTGUN-AR-STOCK-ADAPTOR/2530147.uts

This guy will sell you just the forend, or just wait for an old one to pop up.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/302923020860

Here's the refinishing kit.

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382736883110

I did all of this in the comfort of my dining room.

>Why, it's 100% legal.
not that its because you are dumb and will do something dumb with it and have it taken away. I guarantee you,,,better sell it ASAP and get a fishing rod

Attached: 1549349967415.jpg (943x403, 32K)

Gotcha. I unload it most of the time when I clean it, and it only goes off unexpectedly when I drop it, so there's that...

Mods, I gotta crash. Please don't archive. I want to help the guy above make his own.

Nite all.

Attached: Shotty -Magfed Norinco 870 8.5 barrel.png (639x235, 73K)