Is it just me or wouldnt you have to try to get a gun to rust in less than a year...

is it just me or wouldnt you have to try to get a gun to rust in less than a year, i keep seeing threads about how their gun rusted in a couple of months, but that should be near impossible, right?
i have 2 rifles i keep in my closet just in the carrying bag, havent cleaned it in a good while, and they look how they did when i got them
are people using vinegar as gun oil or what

Attached: gun-rust.jpg (800x546, 80K)

Depends on climate big time.

climate and storage conditions play a huge part

How much they want for that $150 gun?

Attached: Rawlings.jpg (433x457, 21K)

my friend kept his 10/22 behind the toilet and was surpised when it rusted, despite showering twice a day. People can be pretty dumb

checked

If you buy a new ruger or glock and carry it daily in Boston in the summer by the docks the way I did, you'll notice some surface rust on both firearm's slides. It scrubs right off, but all the salt water and sweat against a nylon holster does it.

Nah you can get surface rust just out for a night

I had a newer 870 completely rust out on me in just a single night inna 2 person tent. Absolutely covered in surface rust.
Rustington isn't a meme.

Really depends where you live. humidity levels and the amount of salt in the air are a big one. if you want a pro tip, save all the silica gel packets you get with cloths, bags, etc and put them in your safe. It's what I do in my toolboxes to keep everything dryer.

Dear god. Reminds me of my buddies 870 that started chipping off finish as if it were lead paint. It's such a damn shame.

Truth.

This piece was mechanically cleaned of all rust and then stored in a humidity-controlled room (40%) A few days later it has some light fresh rust on it,

Bastard is on the way to get hard-chromed

Attached: IMG_0706A.jpg (1177x625, 164K)

It really is. 870 actions are just so nice.
I bought an H&R Pardner a while back just to see how they were, and I have to say it's a pretty faithful clone, with a better finish to boot. Just heavy as all hell because it's made of chinesium.

Not everyone lives where you do mate. Also depends on the finish of the gun. My mossy 590 has shit cheap finish, but it is a cheap gun. Alternatively my HK uspc doesnt require any babying.

what is it?

Attached: SO74552313.jpg (740x530, 81K)

This. My HK's absolutely will not rust and two of them have been through the wringer. Alternatively, my mossman rusted almost immediately in the Kentucky heat and humidity.

>Kentucky

Shit me too. My cz 452 developed a rust spot sitting in my fucking room. I need a safe

YMBAL8YOTPITT

his robot's foreskin it looks like

The safe alone won't help. The only thing that I've found to work is routine applications of a thin oil coupled with a dehumidifier in the room. Desiccant helps too if you don't want to run the dehumidifier but doesn't last as long as you think and it's hard to know when they're losing effectiveness. Also, consider pulling actions out of wood stocks to help keep moisture off the metal even if it is inconvenient. You know as well as I do, there are some times of 90%-98% humidity for continuous days and that can wreck finishes so you've got to take some steps.

Can I just stay in a room with a dehumidifier? I still feel like a dehumidifier would be easier in a safe.

I hate cleaning guns. I use ballistol because its less toxic, but the mess, time etc. Is irritating.

Still get the safe but don't expect it to help with rust. Get one of those whole house dehumidifiers and put it in the room with the safe, put dissicant in the bottom of the safe. Also, don't clean them everytime, just keep a rag soaked with a good oil or rust preventative and wipe them down once a month and once a week in the summer.

you don't live near the ocean

>wipe them down

Is that really enough? What about the barrel, action etc. How does wiping give a coating to enough of the parts?

Whenever I clean I run patches of oil down the barrel, field strip and then oil coat.

The majority of rust occurs on the external surfaces where moisture in the air displaces oil on the metal. This is much less likely on internal surfaces and they are less prone to sweating off the oil you apply. Take a look at an old gun that's sat in a barn for 20 years and you'll see the internals will be mostly rust free or lightly dark while the outside is pitted.

So does this include the barrel or should I squirt lube in it

Guys just get it repainted if you like the gun, or rub the rust off with a brass brush, polish and then sell the piece of trash.

>repainted

>carrying
>in Boston

Attached: There+needs+to+be+a+live+action+l+a+noire+_356e8fc59351095c50438e9955d7a922.jpg (377x405, 28K)

Tyrants have no authority over a true patriot. The laws they pass are as empty and meaningless as their lives.

did it on my rusty Browning SXS, just get oil based paint with a high temp. threshold.

op here, anyone who argues about the gun finish, one of the guns i have is a k98 that seems to just be plain steel, and for me its been perfectly fine, besides a few parts that previous owners fucked, and when i mean fucked i mean REALLY FUCKED

small-frame Colt Lightning magazine tube

Attached: IMG_0694.jpg (3005x2425, 1.87M)

strange to see regular clean metal thats smooth, oily and cold, then to see it as rusted, pitted and rough
its completely different

Liberal amounts of renwax + vci bags + oil + silica desiccant

t. user who lives within the marine layer

Not that guy, but I do it all the time. Either my LC9s or my SP101. I love Ruger

Its simple user. Normally the area is surrounded by a wooden handguard,, which attracts and traps the moisture.

Ended up replacing that band as well, very lucky. Most Colt Lightning .22 parts are made of unobtanium

Attached: IMG_0702.jpg (3241x2297, 1.53M)

is it just me or does metal thats been pitted and then fixed look like the best texture
now i dont want that shit on every part of the gun, but stuff like trigger guards, triggers themselves, external hammers (on stuff like revolvers or double barrels)

Attached: jake-crownstag-oldlook.jpg (800x511, 56K)