American longrifle calibers during AWI

From "Notes on the settlement and Indian wars of the western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783"
>Rifles of former times were different from those of modern date (1824); few of them carried more than forty-five bullets to the pound. Bullets of less size were not though sufficiently heavy for hunting or war..
45 balls to the pound works out to about .47 caliber

From "Campaign Against Quebec: Being an Accurate and Interesting Account of the Hardships and Sufferings of That Band of Heroes Who Traversed the Wilderness ... to Quebec, in the Year 1775"
>This gun was short, about 45 balls to the pound, the stock shattered greatly, and worth about 40 shillings. Necessity has no law. Never did a gun, ill as its appearance was, shoot with greater certainty, and where the ball touched, from its size, it was sure to kill. This observation, trifling as it may seem, ought to induce government to adopt guns of this size, as to length of barrel and size of ball.
Again .47 caliber. This rifle described here was purchased by an American rifleman after his was lost when a canoe overturned. His recommendation that the government adopt guns of this caliber is interesting because the original contract for the 1792 Contract Rifles specified 45 balls to the pound and was later changed to 40 balls to the pound after the first deliveries.

The British Colonel Hanger wrote that he had examined many hundreds of American longrifles during the AWI and wrote that he had never seen one over 36 balls to the pound which is about .51 caliber. A longrifle that was found in his estate in England was later examined and determined to be .47 caliber.

Attached: faber1 copy_1.jpg (800x298, 51K)

very interesting op, any more info like this? I can image the sound of those hitting a person would be a sicking sound

Sure. I'll post some about the ranges and methods of shooting done by riflemen during the revolutionary period and then about their equipment and clothing.

From "Notes on the settlement and Indian wars of the western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783"
>Shooting at marks was a common diversion among the men, when their stock of ammunition would allow it' this, however, was far from being always the case. The present mode of shooting off hand was not then in practice. This mode was not considered as any trial of the value of a gun; nor, indeed, as much of a test of the skill of a marksman. Their shooting was from a rest, and at as great distance as the length and weight of the barrel of teh gun would throw a ball on a horizontal level. Such was their regard to accuracy, in these sportive trials of their rifles, and of their own skill in the use of them, that they often put moss, or some other soft substance, on the log or stump from which they shot, for fear having the bullet thrown from the mark, by the spring of the barrel. When the rifle was held to the side of a tree for a rest, it was pressed against it as lightly as possible, for the same reason.

Here is an something a spectator had written about Michael Cresap's rifle company who was recruited primarily from western Maryland.
>A clap-board with a mark the size of a dollar was put up; they began to fire off-hand, and the by standers were surprised, few shots being made that were not close to or into the paper. When they had shot for some time in this way, some lay on their backs, some on their breasts or sides; others ran twenty or thirty steps and, firing as they ran, appeared to be equally certain or the mark. With this performance the company were more than satisfied, when a young man took up the board in his hand, not by the end but by the side, and holding it up, his brother walked to the distance and coolly shot into the white; laying down his rifle, he took the board, and holding it as it was before, the second brother shot as the former had done. By this exhibition I was more astonished than pleased. But will you believe me when I tell you that one of the men took the board, and placing it between his legs, stood with his back to the tree while another drove the center?

Surgeon's Mate James Thatcher, of Massachusetts, was also impressed by the southern troops:
>[The riflemen are] remarkably stout and hardy men; many of them dresssed in white frocks, or rifle-shirts, and round hats. These men are remarkable for the accuracy of their aim; striking a mark with great certainty at two hundred yards distance. At a review, a company of them, while on a quick advance, fired their balls into objects of seven inches diameter, at a distance of two hundred and fifty yards. They are now stationed on our lines, and their shot have frequently proved fatal to British officers and soldiers who expose themselves to view, even at more than double the distance of common musket-shot.

Captain Michael Cresap's company of Maryland riflemen also drew a lot attention, especially for their attire. One admirer wrote that,
>I have had the happiness of seeing Captain Michael Cresap marching at the head of a formidable company of upward of one hundred and thirty men from the mountains and backwoods, painted like Indians, armed with tomahawks and rifles, dressed in hunting shirts and moccasins; and though some of them had traveled hundreds of miles from the banks of the Ohio, they seemed to walk light and easy, and not with less spirit than at the first hour of their march. Health and vigor, after what they had undergone, declared them to be intimate with hardship and familiar with danger. Joy and satisfaction were visible in the crowd that met them.

i know the rest of the board is into delton ar47 bushsmackers but im mcloving the term AWI, and the madlads holding the target and shooting, anything interesting on the experimental guns from the time? puckle guns or gandoli air rifles or eggs rifles etc? How often are pistols mentioned in your sources or other arms? briquets and halberds for example

Early in the AWI some of the first rifle regiments were armed with pikes to protect themselves since they were vulnerable to bayonet charges and cavalry. They quickly discarded them it seems and aren't mentioned later.

The main secondary weapons of the riflemen were the scalping knife or butcher knife, both which were common trade knifes with some differences. The scalping knife had an upswept point. French trade knives typically had two pins and English trade knives generally had three pins. Both were imported into the colonies in huge numbers. And of course the tomahawk was universally used.

"Notes on the settlement and Indian wars of the western parts of Virginia and Pennsylvania from 1763 to 1783"
>The belt, which was always tied behind, answered several purposes, besides that of holding the dress together. In cold weather the mittens, and sometimes the bullet-bag occupied the front part of it. To the right side was suspended the tomahawk and to the left the scalping knife in its leathern sheath.

Life and times of Gen. James Robertson
>"A heavy blanket, rifle, hatchet, knife, powder horn and powder, bullets, extra gunflint, a picker, a wallet well stored with parched corn, some salt and a tin cup." - description of gear used in a 1770 expedition

Reminiscences of a Pioneer, by Thomas Rogers Sr.
>"They take about a gallon of corn and parch it well, then they pound it fine and mix it with as much sugar as would make it sweet enough for coffee, then put it in a buckskin bag and stow it in their knapsack; then take a chunk of raw bacon, wrap it up well and stow this in their knapsack. A tin cup was tied to the strap of their knapsack. this store is for a reserve - never to be used till there is no other shift; with a tomahawk and a butcher's knife and rifle gun and blanket, this is the equipage of an Indian campaign."

Attached: Picture_078 (1).jpg (640x480, 263K)

The problem with the rifle regiments early on is that they received so much acclaim and admiration that it inflated their egos. They were quite undisciplined and were also excused from any camp work.

>Our camp is sepaarate from all the others about 100 yards -- all our courts martial and duty was separate -- we were excused from all working parties, camp guards, and camp duty. This indulgence, together with the remissness of discipline and care in our young officers, had rendered the men rather insolent for good soldiers. They had twice before broke open the guard house and released their companions who were confined there for small crime, and once when an offender was brought to the post to be whipped, it was with the utmost difficulty they were kept from rescuing him in the presence of all their officers -- they openly damned them and behaved with great insolence. However the colonel was quite pleased to pardon the man and all remained quiet.

that was from Jesse Lukins, a rifle officer from Pennsylvania

Tbf discipline was a problem all around, I remember reading somewhere that one of the early ways Washington got some respect among the troops was wading into the middle of huge brawl in camp to break up two of the guys who started it

My rifleman's poll-hawk. I made it from an old broken Germantown roofing hatchet I found on the side of the road.

I was born in Plymouth. One of my relatives, Delivarence *******, (sorry ain't puttin my last name), was at both Saratoga and Yorktown.

I live near the spot where Benedict Arnold started the US Navy. I've been a reenactor my whole life, and took part in a, "March to Quebec", through the Rangely Lakes region in Maine.

AWI is the very essence of America.

Attached: PicsArt_04-05-09.53.05.jpg (1408x2289, 487K)

im an antique miltira collector and have a few Napoleon war french briquets (infintry sword) like the hatchet, also watch Townsend on youtube most informative posts on k in a while, its tiring having the same tards here

Bumping a good thread

Attached: 20180916_211031.jpg (720x420, 182K)

Anybody ever read any Kenneth Roberts?

Arundel
Rabble in Arms

I'm more Cap Huff than Stephen Nason!

I'm just trying to gather all the data I can right now. I intend to portray a rifleman from the western theater of the AWI where I live now and want to get it right. I'm waiting on my rifle to be completed right now.

>AWI is the very essence of America.
I agree. Although I like everything from the Beaver Wars to F&I and Pontiac's Rebellion. The Great Awakening was peak time in NA imo.

Yup. King Phillips war for me, being from Plymouth. I used to work at Plimoth Plantation as a reenactor!

>On the frontiers, and particularly amongst those who were much in the habit of hunting, and going on scouts and campaigns, the dress of the men was partly Indian and partly that of civilized nations.
>The hunting shirt was universally worn. This was a kind of loose frock, reaching half way down the thighs, with large sleeves, open before, and so wide as to lap over a foot or more when belted. The cap was large, and sometimes handsomely fringed with a ravelled piece of cloth of a different color from that of the hunting shirt itself. The bosom of this dress served as a wallet ot hold a chunk of bread, cakes, jerk, tow for wiping the barrel of the rifle, or any other necessary for the hunter or warrior. The belt, which was always tied behind, answered several purposes, besides that of holding the dress together. In cold weather the mittens, and sometimes the bullet-bag occupied the front part of it. To the right side was suspended the tomahawk and to the left the scalping knife in its leathern sheath. The hunting shirt was generally made of linsey, sometimes of coarse linen, and a few of dressed deer skins. These last were very cold and uncomfortable in wet weather. The shirt and jacket were of the common fashion. A pair of drawers or breeches and leggins were the dress of the thigh and legs; a pair of moccasins ansered for the feet much better than shoes. These were made of dressed deer skin. They were mostly made of a single piece with a gathering seam along the top of the foot and another from the bottom of the heel, without gathers as high as the ankle joint or a little highter. Flaps were left on each side to reach some distance up the legs. These were nicely adapted to the ankles and lower part of the leg by thongs of deer skin, so that no dust, gravel or snow could get within the moccasin.

This gives me an idea. Do i have to have a type 7 to produce muskets?

cont.
>The moccasins in ordinary use cost but a few hours labor to make them. This was done by an instrument denominated a moccasin awl, which was made of the backspring of an old claspknife. This awl with its buchshorn handle was an appendage of every shot pouch strap, together with a roll of buckskin for mending the moccasins. This was the labor of almost every evening. They were sewed together and patched with deer sing thongs, or whangs, as they were commonly called.
>In cold weather the moccasins were well stuffed with deer's hair, or dry leaves, so as to keep the feet comfortably warm; but in a wet weather it was usually said that wearing them was "a decent way of going barefooted;" and such was the fact owning to the spongy texture of the leather of which they were made.
>Owing to his defective covering of the feet more than to any other circumstance, the greater number of our hunters and warrior were afflicted with the rheumatism in their limbs. Of this disease they were all apprehensive in cold or wet weather, and therefore always slept with their feet to the fire to prevent or cure it as well as they could. This practice unquestionably had a very salutary effect, and prevented many of them from becoming confirmed cripples later in life.

I don't think any state prohibits people from producing muzzleloaders. They are exempt from the NFA in fact.

I've also helped with some of the restoration and maintenance of the rifles and muskets in the museum down at Fort Ticonderoga. It's a magical place.

Having your hands in the same spot as men who helped found and secure our nation is amazing. Most of them have the beginnings of finger grooves in front of the locks from being carried up and down the eastern seaboard and Canada. What always amazed me is that all the arms there are custom, one-off pieces. Not once did I ever see two parts the same. There are two Bucks County style Schulers there, and even they are similar, but very different.

Very humbling.

>:^)

feels the same way holding a 200+ old sword with deep black rust and chips in the blades hard to imagine having to fight a war that close

I'd love to handle some original rifles. I like to think the rifle described in this ad is still out there somewhere. Iron mountings, pistol lock, and said to have a "very small bore".

I want to have one made like this one day with Chambers' Queen Anne pistol lock with a .42 caliber bore which I believe was the smallest bore recorded in Rifles of Colonial America.

Attached: The Virginia Gazette 3 January 12 1776.png (455x252, 127K)

R I F L E G U N
I
F
L
E
G
U
N