I'm going elk hunting for the first time in my life in Alaska later this year...

I'm going elk hunting for the first time in my life in Alaska later this year. Some of my buddies are arranging everything but they say for me to go with them I need my own rifle, sidearm, and knife (along with other survival gear like bag, boots, etc). I've already purchased a kabar, and I think I'm going to be getting a gen 5 glock, but I'm completely lost on a rifle. I don't even know if I should get a 308 or a 30-06 or anything else. If any of you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I can budget up to $3000 on a rifle but was hoping to come under $1500 unless there's any good argument to spend more. Also any alternates to the glock that you guys prefer more and why? I've gone deer and duck hunting a handful of times in my life with my father and uncle so I've been out before. Thanks for any advice.

Attached: 1000-mountains-lake-alaska-80-opacity.jpg (3840x2160, 701K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-hunter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just remember to have all your paperwork and declare all your firearms and ammunition if you are driving through canada. Also make sure the ammo is seperate and that the firearms are locked up in the trunk.

Thanks for that.

The glock is a great handgun, but might be a little small if you come across say, a bear or a bull moose. Something in the .45 range would absolutely stop one of those animals even if they were pissed off and rushing at you. A .308 or 30-06 would both do the job for elk honestly. You should handle some rifles and see what feels better in the hand to you.

Get a tikka in .300 win mag. Get good glass. Fuck the glock.

I'll take a look at it. Thanks.

I get what you're saying but I find it so difficult to imagine popping even a large animal a couple times with a 9mm won't make it stop attacking me.

This
Make sure you look up laws of transporting laws across countries, it's perfectly legal, Canada has tons of hunters that come from the US every year and bring their guns, but there are some regulations you want to look into.

there are videos out there of people shooting bears and moose and shit with handguns. check them out, evaluate the results for yourself.

Taking handguns through Canada is a nightmare. Would be more inclined to get a quality 357 magnum revolver with a 6 inch barrel. Lots of good rifles in your price range, Tikka, Weatherby, Bergara all make great stuff. Would go 30/06 over 308. Composite stock and stainless steel. Leupold or similar quality scope

Will look them up!

>Tikka, Weatherby, Bergara
I am really not familiar with any of these brands.

Elk are big and tough, 30-06 or .300 winmag would be my pick
As for the sidearm I would get something in at least .40 or .357 sig if not 10mm auto, or some other large caliber if you're worried about dangerous animals or finishing off game
You could also probably go with .357/.44 or larger if you want in a revolver

If this sidearm is meant to be like my home defense gun after the hunting trip, what would you guys recommend that would double as both large animal protection for the hunt, and then home defense that won't kill my neighbors across the street if I ever need to use it that way?

.30-06 is good. .300 winmag and even .375 HH could be considered. 8mm mauser is also a very capable cartridge. Go for a bolt action. Keep in mind that you should also get a nice optic. For the Glock, get one in 10mm, or go for something such as a .44RM revolver. Taking a kabar was a good idea too. Good luck user.

Attached: 30-06-rifle.jpg (1000x665, 96K)

Thanks!

get yourself a savage hunting in 30-06 or 300 win mag, its like 600 bucks, then put a vortex diamondback tactical FFP ontop of it, thats roughly $1000 in the gun. after that just get a ka bar, theyre the shit. if you are going to be hunting at range I wouldnt bother with buying the newest high tech bone collector camo, just get earth tone clothing, personally I like duluth trading co

Get a 10mm glock

Tikka is fantastic

I agree with this. I would also add in Ruger, Howa.

Also, remember this is a gun you will be bringing on a hunt. Make sure it's gun meant for that i.e. not some heavy ass benchrest target gun with a bull barrel.

Here's a good option. If you want synthetic stock or stainless barrel they got that too. Plenty of money left for a decent optic and rings and meet your $1500 budget.

tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/tikka-t3x/t3x-hunter

Stick with 308 or 30-06, as a first time elk hunter you shouldn't be taking extremely long shots where a 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby makes a lick of difference. You'll be able to get ammo more easily and cheaply in the future, and you can sink the difference into the glass (which should be more money than you spend on the rifle).

Weatherby Vanguards are extremely solid, accurate, inexpensive hunting rifles these days.
Drop $650 on a 30-06 Vanguard with a composite stock, another $700 on whatever 3-9x40 Leupold is in that price range, and get a decent pair of 10x binos because you're going to be looking through them 99% of the time instead of your rifle.

Ditch the meme kabar. You'll be better off with a multitool for personal use and a Havalon knife with replaceable blades for skinning. Keep it light and simple, you will have to schlep this stuff around.

A Gen 5 glock (unless it's maybe a 10mm) isn't going to be sufficient for grizzly territory. You'd be much better served with a .357 or .44 revolver.

Check out Nimrod packs, the hardest part of elk hunting is carrying the damn thing out.

Also all of this gear fixation is moot unless you are in tiptop shape. Elk hunting is no joke.

t. elk hunter

Attached: one1.jpg (625x679, 40K)

No such thing as a gen 5 10mm glock

Then dont get a gen 5 glock. I have a gen 5 glock 19 and it's nice, but my gen 4 glock 40 10mm would way better for killing big shit.

30-06 is perfect for an elk. Carry a Glock 40 with hard cast, or anything in 44 magnum if you can handle it. Good luck.