Hi, Eurocuck here, I'm quite ignorant about guns despite being in a country with huge production of guns

Hi, Eurocuck here, I'm quite ignorant about guns despite being in a country with huge production of guns.
Exactly what's the point of suppressor if they don't reduce sound that much?

Attached: suppressor_fullsizeoutput_5c6.jpg (1086x610, 670K)

They do reduce it a lot. They just don't make guns silent. None of that "ptew petw" shit form movies. Unless you fill it with water, and use a small caliber, then it's really quiet for then next few shots. Still not inaudible tho.

Attached: 1555082970345.jpg (1060x1060, 434K)

But they do... Decibels are a logarithmic measurement.

>For sporting
Get shots below hearing safe dB, lower tone so you don’t annoy neighbors etc
>For tacticool
Difficult to locate shooter directionally
Less muzzle flash
Incapacitating guards/dogs
Getting mad 2A thots

Attached: 7B207700-D98E-473C-BFD2-472E0013C9E8.jpg (193x261, 13K)

>Excluding lever and bolt gats
Lots of subsonic calibers, are actually movie quiet

speaking of silencers, does the TV show "Barry" get better? i watched the first episode and the main character's opsec (or lack thereof) triggered my autism.

Makes big boom into little boom

Attached: scopedclown.jpg (980x742, 355K)

On average they reduced decibels by 30.
Some more some less
Depends on the specific model

Attached: ED7AFD75-DAC3-4B68-A275-0B24CDDE8AB1.png (1000x3200, 431K)

Dont do it pepe! We are friens!

Attached: honk-honk-42157923.png (500x690, 78K)

They don't make the gun completely silent but they do significantly reduce the noise, it's still enough to startle you if you're not used to being around guns and shooting but it's more the kind of noise made by doors slamming or books being dropped on a hard floor. Using one will help to protect your hearing by reducing the gun's potential to deal damage to your ears, so it could also be considered extra hearing protection. .22's firing subsonic can actually be very quiet, the action of the gun itself will be louder than the shot.

I hope so...so far its bleh. was Sam the one his girl was talking to during the silencer scene?

I shot my suppressed .22 bolt gun a few times indoors. It made my ears ring, but not from the sound of the gun shot, but the sound of the bullet hitting the 2x4s.

i always thought it was used not to dampen the sound of the immediate area but to prevent the sound from reaching the surrounding area and sounding like a gunshot. because if you are a a few hundred meters away you can still hear the loud crack of a gunshot, however with the silencer you probably wont hear a thing as the sound dissapates quicker? so only people close can hear it or even make out that it was a gunshot, because how many people have heard an actuall suppressor outside of movies? chances are they wont recognise the real thing

>so you don’t annoy neighbors etc
>neighbors get annoyed by shooting
you need to move to a better neighborhood

Handguns such as the .45 shoot under the sound barrier. Therefore, it will be significantly reduce the sound.
5.56 is too high pressure round. Its just as loud as an AR with a A2 flashhider.
Now .300 blackout? So quiet, you will only hear the bolt slamming the firing pin. And the case ejecting.

>subsonic ammo + suppressor
You wont need earpro when you shoot it. A .22 with both is basically silent - you hear more noise from the bolt.

"suppressors dont actually suppress" is one of those movie showing its not like the other movies things like in TWD when some guy says "guns dont actually have safeties usually keep your finger off the trigger thats the safety"

when a shotgun goes off I can't tell what it actually is until I see the guy shooting birds, it just sounds like a hammer clinking. I don't know if I'd even make out a suppressed gunshot if it was in an area with a fair bit of background noise.

The argument here is basically that splinter cell/MGS is not realistic and you can't quietly headshot people in library-level silence and have the sentry right next to them not notice until they turn around see the body, right?

It's not just db/SPL, what about the actual frequency response of the gunshot? High frequencies being dampened mess up the ability to find the direction of the report, low frequency dampening means it doesn't travel through walls/surfaces in an omni-directional fashion.

Has anyone got a good video where they use a proper foley mic like an earthworks, not some retarded cheap shit because mics don't represent the human ear which is a diaphragm, both are but mics are much less complex and mics dont pick up what the ear hears accurately.

What the fuck is the point of suppressed sniper rifles btw? Say you're a Navy SEAL GRU with over 300 confirmed kills, and you're doing deep interdiction from a seal delivery vehicle taking out a HVT.

Why not just use rudimentary railgun tech to shoot out pyro decoys to detonate around the area of the enemy target mimicking semi-auto rifle fire, set up a computer that's like a weapons launch control panel on a submarine but much cheaper and handheld, have the pyro decoys explode much closer to the target as the report of the massive fucking artillery sized sniper round reaches the ears of the sentries, like acoustic-ballistic computing?

Why not just have a downsized flying-wing stealth drone to mark the coordinates, do over the horizon shots with continuous-rod-warheads (basically it looks like a giant zig-zag hairband that expands and cuts everyone in half over bout tree fiddy metres) and add a giant diameter raufoss in the center so you don't have to worry about MOA and mil dots and all that shit? The decoys will just cause comms confusion and let the team bug out.

Attached: 8742864595397530780.png (1754x1290, 947K)

The crack element of the gunshot is the sound of the bullet flying faster than the speed of sound. Subsonic projectiles will not create this sound.

Shooting subsonic ammo with a can makes the shot at the muzzle very silent, not the impact or the down range boom.
It's more enjoyable for the shooter this way, it doesn't need to be "silent", its main job is to protect the shooter's ears.

I shoot supersonic loads with a stainless steel can and it's still very loud, loud enough to attract attention from all around BUT it's hearing safe without ear pro.

dumb movie fags.

Pretty much this. Suppressors aren’t supposed to be inaudible, or movie quiet. They are meant to disguise the position of the shooter.

To show people you enjoy buying your rights.