Marksmanship

Hey Jow Forums, just wanted to know if you guys actually know how to shoot. How good of a shot are you, how tight are your shot groups, what do you guys do at the range?

Attached: combatmarksmanship-wab.png (871x458, 519K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KLIEfsjW17Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DDrNNoaArxI
shop.actiontarget.com/content/indiana-le-target.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

barely shot expert on the MC table 1

With my Zastava N-PAP I normally just try to hit a man sized steel target at 50, 100, 200 and 300 meters. The only times I do groupings is when I zero my rifle every thousand rounds or so.

My dad and I are vets and qualified expert. We are trying to build a range so we don’t have to mess with safety retards at the range. We will put up steel targets and maybe add some berms to shoot from. Will be good to have a project with him.

just bought my first gun, but i havent really shot a gun in years. although i can say ive shot at 2 deer and killed them both with one bullet. desu i only got good because 1, experience. and 2, i was sick of getting made fun of missing. that shit will traumatize a teenager.

Used to shoot with my dad's 700 heavy barrel (M24 effectively) 10x fixed at 800yds inside MOA or 1.5MOA .308 WIN.

Just got a ruger american predator (heavy barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor a couple months ago and put a diamondback 6-24 FFP on it. Man that thing is fun! The range I am at presently only goes to 550yds but it is well inside MOA very repeatably with the factory stock (I put a bit of foam on as a cheek riser) with Hornady match 140grn. I can't believe how much difference there is between 6.5CM and .308 for windage. My eyes have been opened!

I've been running 3 gun lately... feels good to shoot longer range again.

Casual shooter, 90% inner dark circle pistol @25m.
Not all 10s but I'm better than 75 % of my range and I don't lose sleep over my groupings. My life doesn't depend on them and I don't do xompetition so it's all good for me.

I just shoot man sized targets center mass nowadays, the army ruined me. When I was a kid I'd tear up the black with my .22. Still can hit black pretty much every time when I try to, but i used to be better. Also haven't shot more than 100 meters in years

just becuase your vets doesn't mean you guys are qualified. I have met a handful of vets that can't shoot worth of shit. There seems to be this meme where just because you were in the military you know how to use guns proficiently.

i wish /prg/ would stay alive

>about fist-sized groups at 12 yards with handguns and at 50 with rifles and iron sights
>about golf ball-sized groups at 100 yards with scoped rifles but fliers aren't rare at all
>average 22-23 on clays
Making progress a bit every time I go to the range but I still suck.

Attached: 1438149697921.jpg (1280x720, 424K)

And I've met a fuckton of dumb shit civilians that not only can't hit water if they fell out of a boat, but don't even know how to clean or maintain their shit.

1-1.5" groups a 100 yards, 4" groups at 200, Ring 8 inch steel at 300 yards with a PSA ar-15 rifle. 1ish inch groups at 100 yards with my aero ar 308, ring steel at 600 yards not sure what size the target is, I have gotten confirmed hits by RSO at 100 yards on steel. Similiar with my 30-06. I flinch with a pistol but my groups are 5 inches at 25 yards.

I have my own range-out to 600 yards, so fk-off

I meant to say confirmed hits at 1000 yards by RSO.

Infantryman here, my precision is terrible.

Also I hunt deer, yotes, and rabbits. I typically shoot prone from a caldwell bipod anywhere from 100-300 yards shots. My chest freezer is full of wild game meat.

The only range near me is indoors, 25m. I shoot .45 / 1911 almost exclusively. Taken the AR out a few times, and the 45-70 levergat once. They don't allow shotguns. There's really not enough light indoors for practicing with irons anyway, and they don't allow going in the prone. Haven't been to a real range in years.

t. Armyfag, wounding at 300m is the standard

I just kind of blast in the general direction of the target. Is this bad?

>inb4 Navy Seal
>inb4 300 confirmed kills
>inb4 gorilla warfare

Attached: Shooting Range 2.jpg (440x264, 54K)

.308, 1.5 moa @ 100 yrds, or pic related with handloads and off sandbags.
handgun 3 moa @ 10 yrds.

Attached: target.jpg (712x536, 47K)

And that is the pic I show off with, usually 1 moa @100 yds. that was just a good day.

I go jerk the trigger sometimes and remember how I can't afford enough ammo to get gud, so I go home and stare at the wall.

Attached: 686.jpg (906x937, 120K)

Double taps are a fucking curse. If you put two exactly in the same spot and have one flyer, it's worse to figure out than if you just spread all of the fucking cunts. Doing exactly right on 2/3 is worse than like a silver dollar sized spread that you can narrow down a bit.

Attached: 1544594137214.jpg (600x551, 261K)

practice..practice..practice..

get a fuckin air rifle m8

Attached: 20190421_141301.jpg (1842x1824, 691K)

Love me a good range day, my brother has a spot in ND where we have some old cast iron pots spray painted white and set at 800, 1000, and 1500 yards. I can’t always hit the 1500, but I’m usually 1 for 3. Long distance shooting is super fun. Reach out and touch someone op

thank you for your service

That's really not bad.

Jow Forums only ever posts 5 yard groups and claims they're 10. The shooting ability on this board according to posted groups is very exaggerated.

I've taught several pistol shooting classes. If that's a 7-10 yard target, you're doing just fine.

Plus, who cares about slow fire groups anyway? Splits are the shits.

This. It's not a "real gun," but it is a fantastic, cost-effective tool for learning and practicing the fundamentals, and some even pretty accurately emulate the recoil and controls of a real gun. They're pretty fun, and you can even compete with them.

Went to the most excellent CMP range in Alabama. Shot my PSA AR at 600m shot a K31 at 600.

Only ever shot out to 50 yds (with AR) just got into funs and plan on joining an outdoor range soon. With a g19 at 20yds can pretty reliably hit center mass on a man size target, headshots are starting to get better (usually 15-10 yds out). Been going just about every week for the past 3 months.

yep. Air pistol can help too.

Dry fire is a hell of a lot more effective if you have enough scored targets that you actually know where you missed.

Expert
In my opinion this course is not that hard.
I usually get a perfect score
Pic related

Attached: A939CA74-F029-4F51-A7EF-488037E289CC.jpg (1536x1711, 590K)

And this for rifles
While the distance is short, the shooting is not difficult
But having to move and reload, and get into a good shooting position is time consuming. That makes the 50 yard difficult because There is a tendency to rush your shots

Attached: 4659B68D-A506-44EE-A2B4-4742759CB1DE.jpg (1536x1710, 341K)

nice user. Always appreciate getting another set of standards to measure myself against.

Air rifles are cheap, pellets are cheap, you can shoot them at home but they are harder to shoot accurately than real guns because of their mechanics
I'm talking about springers. I have a Diana 35 that is very accurate but you need to have perfect hold, trigger and sight picture to hit anything at any distance. The target with the 2e was shot at 6 meters with 10 pellets and it's still a 10mm group
Any range shooting with an air rifle is as hard as long range shooting with a rifle

Daily reminder to integrate physical training and stress into your shooting practice.
Virtually every single person I've talked to at a gun range tell me the same thing.
I'm here training for self defense/to protect my family.

And how do they train? By slowly shooting at a stationary paper target in broad day light, bench resting, full belly, calm mind, well rested.
Does that sound anything like an actual combat situation/defensive display/fucking gunfight?

This is our rifle qualification. If you can't complete this, you're aren't fighting ready. This is just a baseline.

At the command gunfire, the shooter will collect his armor vest kit weighing a minimum of 20lbs. With 2 10 round magazines. Bonus points (time) can be earned for more weight.
300m run, and collect your rifle, load and make ready.
2 hits on target prone @ 100y
2 hits on target kneeling @ 75y
2 hits on target standing @ 50y
2 hits on each the left and right target, walk and shoot @25m

Completion time: 3 min
My best: 2:08 others are even faster

True but the pneumatic family doesn't suffer from this. If you buy ye max FPS springer it won't be as helpful.

Mil or leo?

Tell that to my fuddtastic ROs at my fuddtastic range

Yea but when you go from springer to pneumatic or even a real gun you'll notice the difference. It's like doing weighed training

definitely, it will benefit you. And if you spread 25 or even 10 shots a day for a week that will do you more good than the same number of shots on the weekend.

he would shoot expert when he went to the qualification range you retard.

Pretty damn good with a revolver, ok with a semi auto, but completely fall apart with an ar/ak, but can rip tiny groups with precision bolt guns. Im difficult.

Always been kind of shit at it, honestly.
My dominant eye is near-sighted unfortunately. I own handguns (5 of 'em) but I can shoot my revolver fairly accurately at 30ish yards provided I cock the hammer first because the trigger is a little stiff.

I dont have a range close by that goes out beyond 100yds. But inside of 100yds, I can shoot rifles to the mechanical accuracy of the gun/ammo, which isn't great considering my collection. I still blow chunks at shooting handguns.

Fucking this. Even after BCT, my sister still didnt know how to load a fucking magazine. Know what her reason was?
>>hurr durr we have speed loaders

Attached: 1540148562915.jpg (645x729, 48K)

Civilian vs. the military
>>both are retards
The only difference is that one has been instructed and is still a retard

Are you me? Same range and same guns

How do you not know how to load a mag? It ain't difficult.
>take boolit
>lineb boolit up
>slide boolit into magazine so front of boolit is in front of magazine
>repeat until magazine is full of boolit

Not bad but I only started shootan 7 months ago. Shoot an average 500 rounds a week

>500rds a week
>assuming $0.2 per round
>times 500
>$100/wk in ammo
Jesus.

Kek, I do at least 550+
22s every outing, and 38s, 357s, 44s until my fingers are too sore.

I can “think fast”, catch my rifle and hit a man sized target, or a milk jug free hand at 100 yards over and over and over again

Attached: 6B6D4EB3-08C7-465A-9ACE-00A36D719151.jpg (2688x3589, 1.78M)

For example

Attached: 200_yard_grouping.jpg (886x886, 111K)

I can free hand most shots out of my 74 at a 2' gong at 200, 300 on good days. for pistols, I usually just do long range slow and short range double tap, and for long I can do man sized at 100, and short I can double tap a mag in about a dinner plate

Just came out of a 3 year retirement with precision shooting now that my precision AR build is done. Went out to the range on Saturday and nailed a man-sized target at 500 yards over and over like it was nothing. Now that I know the gun is accurate at that distance, I'll be able to do some offhand or kneeling shots and see if I can do well without the bipod.

youtube.com/watch?v=KLIEfsjW17Y

Attached: BigSnipe.jpg (720x732, 76K)

youtube.com/watch?v=DDrNNoaArxI

Attached: SnoPi.jpg (1036x643, 69K)

I like you user. I have a different way of training for stress and a adrenaline that I find more fun though.
I walk through public or private land somewhat geared and exterminate varmints/invasive species. It offers physical movement, training you to scan, training you to move quietly, and shooting under pressure at small targets that surprise you and will escape if youre not fast and accurate. You might walk for 45 minutes or more before an oppurtunity presents itself putting you in a constant state of ready. A 22lr or just something light might be better for the job but the weight and recoil make it too easy, I use my fighting rifle.
Check your local laws, bonus points for culling the invasive.
At public ranges with rules, I dont have a steel target option, I set clay pigeons out and practice free hand shots to 220 yards (max range here). Braced shots have become trivial. I also practice benched and prone with precision rifles at much longer ranges with focus on first round hits at random distances and occasional group shooting to check form and rifle.

I like to think Im pretty rounded.

based free hand shooters. It's a different type of skill to benched shooting in my experience. Very few at my range practice anything other than benched and it shows when they try to do anything else.

What's the target size on this?

B27R target (Reduced B27 target) search it.
Looks about 14" wide silhouette maybe 28" tall

All my bullets go through the same hole at 500 meters

Attached: 1503029472297.jpg (465x465, 46K)

Recent goal is 10 rounds in the black at 10s, but that FSP is pretty damn thick that far out.

Attached: b-8.png (500x604, 426K)

My marksmanship and fundamentals on a rifle are decent. My wind calls could use some work but 1 MOA targets arent a big deal out to 1000yds unless the wind is being tricky. The rifle groups 1/4 minute @100

Attached: 20190226_181805.jpg (4032x2268, 2.28M)

>be at range
>guy pulls up
>asks to go downrange and set up paper target 100 yards
>"yeem8"
>guy pulls out decent ar15 with lpvo
>sits and benches it
>BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM
>empty in about 30 seconds
>pulls a mag out of bag
>reloads
>repeats
>this happens about 5 times
>goes down range and collects target
Not trying to bully but what was he practicing?

What did his target look like?

Attached: 20180806_134432.jpg (3984x2988, 2.57M)

cartridge and build?

didnt look super closely but maybe a 10" ring of birdshot

Rifle: pretty good, placed 4th/20 in my state by one point, otherwise would have been 2nd.
I shot 288, 2nd was 289 (I had more center X hits), would have needed 299 to qualify for nationals. Still pround nonetheless.
With pistol I am doing okay. CD at 25m, but only if focused. Otherwise I open up to paper plate. When I really focus and have a good day, 2.5 inches with a mostly stock glock (barrel and trigger)

Well, I would have said he was just making sure his accuracy and speed were still there.

Accuracy International AT, 26" Hawk Hill chambered in 6.5 CM

good combinations

bump for curiosity

Here's the aftermath of my last trip to the range 2 weeks ago. 9mm at 20 yards.

Attached: 20190407_173228.jpg (1378x1000, 573K)

I am not a very good shot

neither was anyone else at one time. practice correct form and dry fire. dont free style it or youll always suck.

Despite the agony that I felt while in the Marine corps I did learn proper shooting form and how to handle my weapon in different environments and scenarios the unfortunate thing is I rarely got to actually shoot and even less so when I became a team leader now that I'm in civdiv though I get to shoot alot more and I can see that I'm getting consistently better the trade off though is that I don't know of any good outdoor ranges where I'm at and have to settle for looking like a jackass as I take a knee to reload at the indoor range.

if you shoot 3 MoA with a handgun you can outshoot professional pistol shooters, but I don't think you are saying what you think you're saying.

MoA is a measure of angle, so 3 MoA is 3 inches at 100 yards, or .3 inches at 10 yards.

Unless you are shooting a custom 1911 from a ransom rest it is physically impossible to attain those kind of groups with a handgun, and even then that is only possible with guns that cost $3000+.

I suspect you mean that you shoot 3 inch groups at 10 yards, which is still pretty good.

>he thinks you get good by shooting live ammo
>he doesn't know about dry fire

Attached: chrome_2017-05-17_22-49-03.png (432x517, 207K)

your qual is shit because the standards are either arbitrary or aren't enumerated clearly
>the shooter will collect his armor vest kit
-from where?? the ground at feet? the back of the car he's in? his locker in the barracks?
>weighing a minimum of 20lbs.
-because weight is a better standard than protection
-because no equipment on the LBE is important except the plates in it - not IFAK, not radio, none of that matters
-because when you go towards gunfire you only need a vest, things like eyepro, helmet, gloves, boots, NODs, water, and an assault pack and all that are just bullshit, right?
>With 2 10 round magazines
what are you, a califaggot?
>Bonus points (time) can be earned for more weight.
-How much weight for bonus time?
-What's the max bonus time you can get?
-Does the weight have to be in the form of gear, or can I just lug a sandbag and that's just as good?
>300m run, and collect your rifle
-why not run with your rifle? moving with a weapon is much different from jogging with free hands
-safety concern? just mandate that a chamber flag is in the rifle to start?
>2 hits on target
-what target? B-27? B8 bullseye?
-are all targets in the open or are they partial exposure?
>hits on each the left and right target
-what range?
-what separation?
> walk and shoot @25m
-shooting at targets straight ahead, or to one side?
-closing with target or moving perpendicular?
-shooting and moving simultaneously?
-why not move to cover then engage from there?

the fact that all your bullets go down the barrel is not an accomplishment

shop.actiontarget.com/content/indiana-le-target.asp

Convince me why this shouldn't be the new USPSA target.

My last cycle I was shooting on the run, My Gluk 26 was a bit of a bummer, the sights just don't work for me. The carbine did much better usually kept the bullets in the 6" ring

I cannot.
I know Indiana and law enforcement was using the B29 targets but are moving away from those

The theory is those old target trained people to shoot low and miss vital organs

I don’t like the plane brown targets either.

>Hey Jow Forums, just wanted to know if you guys actually know how to shoot.

Yes. Taught by the Marine Corps.

>How good of a shot are you,

Good shot.

>how tight are your shot groups,

Depends on posture distance lighting and wind. Pretty tight for all.

>what do you guys do at the range?

I'm innawoods. Our 'range' is 100 acres of land. Go there and hang with bros. Shoot my AR-15 Hbar mostly. Then throw the clay pigeons. I don't give a shit about skeet shooting but my Bros do and oddly I love throwing pigeons. Then I'll maybe play with my .22-250 with a cheap but dead-nuts scope to make sure I can snipe groundhogs and crows in my field at home. Then we might compete to hit cans of Walmart grape soda from stupid long distances and talk shit. Then we will trade / try new guns we bring. Then drink and repeat. Then clean rifles, clean up targets and brass and go home.

I think I do okay. Fairly easy for me to hit 4MOA standing with iron sight AR-15 at 100 yards. I shoot roughly 1MOA with a Ruger American 308 at 100 yards as well. No easy way for me to go beyond that where I live. This was a 5-shot group at 100 yards with 168gr 308 match out of my Ruger American default stock before I upgraded to the Magpul Hunter, target diameter is 8" but I didn't get an exact measurement.

Attached: 20180223_125826.jpg (317x566, 26K)