Has anyone ever actually seen a catastrophic failure from shooting 5.56 in a .223...

Has anyone ever actually seen a catastrophic failure from shooting 5.56 in a .223? I can't find any documented proof of it anywhere, but straight up everyone believes it's dangerous. Is it just really, really persistent fuddlore?

Attached: maxresdefault (9).jpg (1280x720, 267K)

5.56 max pressure is well within the safety range of .223

>straight up everyone believes it's dangerous
Nope. While the 5.56 has harder primers and generates more pressure than .223, it isn't dangerous to fire either round in either chamber, but it could lead to FTF or FTE issues in some rifles.

When shooting 5.56 in a .223 chamber the most common malfunction is the case getting stuck due to the higher pressure and case dimensions of 5.56.
Over time this can increase wear on the chamber walls.
That's about it.

>That's about it.
Nope. The harder 5.56 primers sometimes FTF in .223 chambers due to light primer strikes. .223 doesn't always generate enough pressure in all 5.56 rifles to cycle. Accuracy is almost always effected by using the wrong ammunition.

Attached: 223vs556.jpg (515x406, 38K)

its very rare that a .223 marked chamber is actually to exact spec.
what youve got here is this
lets say .223 actual spec on paper is .50 however .48-.52 is still considered in tolerance.
then 5.56 is .51 where .49-.53 is in still in spec
5.56 is a bit looser to allow for dirt

anyways anything from .49-53 will be safe but that tight chamber .48 will blow up if loaded with 5.56.
nobody intentionally aims for that low side. the majority of the overlap is perfectly safe.

all numbers have been pulled out of my ass its just used for explanation.

M193 Ball was the original 5.56mm cartridge, it was just a round of .223 Remington loaded with ball powder. The M16A1 could be loaded safely with M193 Ball and M196 Tracer because its chamber (SAAMI .223) was proofed with a round of M197, which generates 70,000 PSI.

5.56mm rounds do not exceed that pressure ceiling until you begin loading them with 62+ grain bullets, which is precisely why the M16A2's chamber was updated to 5.56 NATO: the additional free-bore accommodates the heavier M855 Ball, M856 Tracer, etc.

If the chamber is actually SAAMI .223 spec, it can handle 5.56mm M193 and M196 without "increase wear on the chamber walls," just don't shove any 5.56 NATO loads (62 grain and heavier) into it

It just adds extra wear and tear. I've accidentally shot 556 in my 223 Savage Axis and nothing happened, but I assume doing it often will accelerate wear at the chamber, resulting in poor accuracy.

It probably just as to do with what grade steel is around the throat of the breech.

It's not like trimming a .357 so it fits in a .38spl. The difference is not that significant

You PPL are idiots, 556 has a looser chamber because "Full Auto" and dirt/heat build up and Govts don't reload expended brass. 223 chambers are "Tight" because Muh Accuracy. I've never had 556 jam or malfunction in a 223 but then different civy MFGs have different chamber specs.

>shot 556 in my 223 Savage Axis and nothing happened
That's because it was only 55 grain ammunition

>grade steel is around the throat of the breech
No, it has more to do with the .223 chamber's limited amount of freebore

Attached: VS-7.jpg (2240x1680, 1.6M)

>I've never had 556 jam or malfunction in a 223
You've clearly never loaded it with Mk 262

>M193 Ball was the original 5.56mm cartridge, it was just a round of .223 Remington loaded with ball powder.
>ball powder.
The "ball" in M193 Ball ammo is not a reference to the propellant-- which might be
coincidentally spherical-- it's a reference to a projectile with a full metal jacket.

affected

>556 has a looser chamber because "Full Auto" and dirt/heat build up and Govts don't reload expended brass. 223 chambers are "Tight" because Muh Accuracy.
lmfao. No, son, the 5.56 and .223 rounds are incrementally different, but so is the chambering. Ruger has been making full auto Mini-14s for years for cops and prison guards with the same chamber as their commercial models. On the other hand, 5.56x45 rifles can be far more accurate that any current semi-auto .223.
And you're calling other people idiots? OK, noguns. kek

>It's not like trimming a .357 so it fits in a .38spl. The difference is not that significant
Wouldn't that just make it a .38 tho.

>ball powder
your entire post is retardation

No because the powder is still loaded for .357. The lengthening of the .357 case was done simply so they can't fit into .38 because they'll KB the gun

I haven't, but I've seen plenty of dicumentation about fucked up headspacing.

/thread

Attached: 556throats[1].gif (265x275, 3K)

it can happen,5.56 is much higher pressure then .223 spec.

this

Attached: Capture.jpg (580x176, 29K)

literally the only issue it could cause is slight inaccuracy

just like your dna did