Homemade mortars

How hard would it be to build a reasonably accurate mortar with hardware store parts?
Has a terrorist group ever tried mortar attacks in another country without easy access to real mortar tubes and rounds?
Discuss.

Attached: 1451023762733.png (560x407, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uumbG_9JUUc
coachesclubcannons.com/Cannons/Bowling-Ball-Mortar
files.catbox.moe/367qq3.pdf
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_mortar_attack
instructables.com/id/Compressed-Air-Tennis-Ball-Mortar/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Define accurate? Are you talking a similar distance to a standard issue?

Fairly easy. Its just a tub and firing pin at the bottom. The morter shell itself would be the hardest to produce. Foscad has a CAD file for a morter shell that uses a 12 gauge shell as its propellant. 3D printing would probably be the easiest way unless you know how to cast metal extremely well or have a steel press. Steel can be pressed into any shape with a bit of lube v

CEP of 10m I guess? I'm not a mortar guy so I'm not sure what accuracy looks like for one.
Accurate enough to hit an individual room of a building at say 800m?

I keep wondering why nobody has tried a mortar attack in Europe or the US yet. It seems like a fairly easy way to rack up casualties, especially if you shoot and then move somewhere else.

too much set up. Acid attacks can be done with a trip to the hardware or grocery store. Unlike strict states in the US that just regulate firearms euro countries have strict regulation on everything. so sourcing explosives for the charge and propellant would be extremely hard. Not to mention the fact that you need a 3D printer. If they wanted to make an explosive they could do it witch chemicals in a pressure cooker. Cant launch a morter with that type of explosive though. Mortars are much more complicated than aim out and shoot. Wind effects their trajectory if you wanted to have an accurate strike you would need a pointman calling out corrections. I guess even an inaccurate mortar strike causes chaos.

Not as lethal as you'd imagine despite how retarded it sounds. All the good targets would have trajectory obstructions when you consider areas where setting up a mortar without being btfo by a cop immediately are possible.

The real mystery is the lack of drone IEDs from a lone actor given how easy they are. The window for that is closing pretty fast too though with antidrone weapons already being deployed at major sports venues.

In East Asia they'd often launch fireworks out of little cannons made of bamboo wrapped in rope.
If you didn't plan on shooting them multiple times, you could probably get away with PVC pipes, even.
If you were aiming at a relatively large target, it wouldn't be that hard to cause a huge shitstorm.
Imagine someone lobbying explosives onto and around the Kaaba.

Attached: kaaba.jpg (1200x900, 907K)

What is the IRA
Retard

A factory built mortar cant even do that. A little change in wind is enough to throw it several meters of target

An example of why mortars are shit for terrorism.

IRA dit it. I'm not at home, but i think i have a pic somewhere about a van with a mortar inside.

um no

>The window for that is closing pretty fast too though with antidrone weapons already being deployed at major sports venues.
If you want to take down a drone, there are a few ways to do it. You can hit it with an actual projectile (probably the most effective way desu), you can jam it's control frequencies, you can force it to land or return home by jamming GPS/jamming it's control link/etc, or you can hit it with a laser or directed energy weapon.

If your terrordrone9004 has a way to determine its position that doesn't require a constant link (cameras, probably multiple to avoid laser blinding), a built-in route to follow or software that allows it to operate autonomously, and ideally shielding and/or control software to prevent it from being downed by lasers or shotguns or whatever (flying just above treetops or between obstacles would do the trick) it's basically invulnerable to whatever is cheap on the market. Fuck you could probably even have the thing avoid most SAMs and MANPADS by flying low and not too fast. Maybe even CIWS.

I have no idea why we don't see this used more often. I think there was a grenade attack in Venezuela a few months ago that killed several generals but that's about it outside of military usage. With a bit of ingenuity you could make a decently sized fixed wing drone that could drop a shaped charge on anything. Imagine a CEO getting taken out in his fancy armored car by a shaped charge dropped on his car by a drone as he's going 60 mph down the highway.

Hell cannons are probably the closest diy motor I've seen.

Attached: flvsih7.jpg (465x267, 27K)

and I always kind of wondered if you could scale down the idea, use fire extinguishers as the pressure vessel.

>he has never seen the mk15 barracks buster
faggot

go on

2.36 ID tube for 60mm 3.22 ID tube for 81mm

sure, but i saw a video of some jihadi blowing himself up with a steel tube. how do you prevent that?

Use 4340 grade steel

Story time!
Someone who lives around me made one and shoot it off in the old parking lot behind my house every once and a while. We live by an old church and the parking lot is behind our house. At first we thought it was just fire works because they would set it off randomly then one night I heard someone messing around out in the parking lot and heard a loud bang followed by a bunch of debris hitting my windows and back door which is right on the side of my living room where I was watching tv. My brother and I got up and ran out back and saw two guys loading what looked like a lead tube that they made legs and a stand for into their truck and then speeding off. Every once and a while they will drive around shooting it off all around the place and being that it is easter sunday I expect to hear it tonight

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 37K)

look it up, it is most delicious

dont overload the propellant. Theres a big difference between the propellant and explosive.

Yeah you don't understand how modern anti-drone systems work.

They are essentially just EW systems from aircraft refitted as ground units. Even if you shielded all the electronics you can, the motor windings of the rotors would still be exposed (they have to be for cooling) and get fried, literally fried, by the system.

I understand how to make the mortar, using the shotgun shell method, but pls explain the payload.
Just a pipe mob with a prelit 30 sec fund?

what is a fund and mob?

youtube.com/watch?v=uumbG_9JUUc

Wtf how common is this?

i dont know, mortars are scary

Buy one of these and reverse engineer it for us.
coachesclubcannons.com/Cannons/Bowling-Ball-Mortar

files.catbox.moe/367qq3.pdf

>what is the IRA?
>what is 10 Downing St?
>Osnabruck Barracks?
>etc etc
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downing_Street_mortar_attack

Attached: images (30).jpg (300x180, 12K)

Attached: make a mortar.jpg (1368x432, 43K)

don't do this it makes chlorine gas

is this one of those evil things that endanger the dabbler

>instructables.com/id/Compressed-Air-Tennis-Ball-Mortar/

>1919+101
>not buying a non-NFA pneumatic mortar

Attached: 48972928-0047-4048-904A-BFEF1E54B5AD.jpg (584x421, 51K)