What are Jow Forumss thoughts on They Shall Not Grow Old?

What are Jow Forumss thoughts on They Shall Not Grow Old?

Attached: TSNGO1.jpg (1570x1193, 357K)

Other urls found in this thread:

historyonthenet.com/how-many-people-died-in-ww1
youtube.com/watch?v=Aou-TAwG87o&ab_channel=SpokenVerse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fucking brilliant, an utter masterwork. Apparently they treated a shitload more footage than what they actually used in the final edit, and apparently that will be made available to the Imperial War Museum. I fucking hope so.

Lest we forget.

It's a documentary.

I thought it was interesting because like one guy said in the doc, we see the soldiers of WW1 as victims because of how fucked up it was. But all the voice recordings of them said they loved it.

One of the best WWI documentaries I've ever had the privilege of watching. It made me visit the Imperial War Museum website to listen to the other veteran recordings which is something I wish I had done far sooner now.

It's complicated innit. One of them made a point that they were facing a life of working in some factory for 1910s wages, so the war was a welcome surprise. Also the way many recruits grew in height, because they were getting some actual nutrition for once, is pretty shocking.

I think plenty of soldiers hated/regretted the war and what it did to them. It's just hard to unpack when they made their best friends at the same time and will have had some great experiences along with the bad.

I think a lot of people's brains are warped on WW1 because you see really ominous photos (despite the fact that all photos looked really ominous from then and earlier) and the absolute worst moments of the war through memoirs that 99% of soldiers did not go through.

People also have in mind that they were in the trenches for years. Literally the entire war the same person was in the same trench and never left except to charge into a machine gun. I'd suggest reading Myths and Legends of the First World War. Really dispels some of the, well, myths of the war. Lions led by donkeys, trench stuff, etc. A good book.

Also, fuck that cow mooing video.

A Look at the Numbers. World War One was one of the deadliest conflicts in the history of the human race, in which over 16 million people died. The total number of both civilian and military casualties is estimated at around 37 million people. The war killed almost 7 million civilians and 10 million military personnel.
How Many People Died in WW1? - History
historyonthenet.com/how-many-people-died-in-ww1

you are flat wrong. it was a meat grinder.

Over sixty million soldiers fought in WW1. Sixteen million is a lot but not when you look at the overall numbers.

Oh whoops. Ten million died with regards to the military. Even lower. One in ten soldiers went home. Sure, some were messed up but that's 9/10 returning home. Good odds.

16/60=.26666 repeating. just over 1 out of 4 soldiers involved died. if that loss ratio is acceptable to you then i now know the length of your nose.

It's war. People die. Those are pretty acceptable numbers.

>41254973
shut up (fag), you've already got an ocean of blood, be content and stop sulking that not every European is dead.

>and apparently that will be made available to the Imperial War Museum. I fucking hope so.
Fuck. I was in that museum last year, it was so good that after spending two hours in it I came back the next day for another four. I guess I'll have to go there again if the WW1 section is going to get even better.

>9/10 returning home. Good odds.
Those are actually dreadful odds for wars.

it was great to see it in a theater.

They goof'd the colour of the tanks, but that would be an easy fix if they wanted to.

You're viewing things through the lens of modern triage and trauma medicine. Sure, 9/10 is pretty bad for 2019 but its fantastic for every year prior to Vietnam.

Demographically it was *far* worse than that.

The regimental system meant that certain communities were utterly devastated, with the "pals" battallions being even worse (Certain communities ended up with 95% of their fighting age males killed in 1916).

It demolished the Ruling Class in Great Britian, with life expectancy for a Subaltern or Lieutenant life expectancy being as low as 42 days.

Serbia lost almost 25% of its population in the war.

Trying to say that "only 16 Million" casualities means the war wasn't that bad is utter nonsense. Western Europe hasn't seen anything before or since.

800k dead for Britain alone out of a population of 46m is acceptable numbers. Yeah, fuck off.

Timur killed like 5% of the world's population without even leaving the middle east. More people died in the war of the Three Kingdoms as well. And the Taiping Rebellion, and three other Chinese conflicts, two of which were prior to WWI. WWI isn't even close to the most devastating conflict in terms of demographics

We remember WWI as the ultimate shitshow because it is recent and people are ignorant of history, especially history that isn't modern Europe (so after 1450ish). Even so it's pretty egregious not to remember things like the the Deluge

Selected from the wiki article:
>According to the estimates of Polish scholars I. Ihnatowicz, Z. Landau, A. Mączak and B. Zientara, the invasion by the Swedish army and its allies (Brandenburg-Prussia and Transilvania), resulted in the loss of 25% of the population in four core Polish provinces. Lesser Poland lost 23% of population, Mazovia 40% in villages and 70% in towns, Greater Poland 50% in villages and 60% in towns. Royal Prussia lost some 60% of its population.[27]
muh regimental system. At least your country wasn't a battlefield for a century, or invaded by a madman who thought he was Genghis Khan (or the actual Genghis Khan)

That was the best point made. The modern view of the war is one of a doomed generation led unwillingly to war by idiot generals which was painted by professional poets like Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon. The ordinary men angrily rejected this view. They were generally well led, well-treated and believed in the rightness of their cause. Many men greatly enjoyed the experience and became better people for it. The alternative was life in a shitty office, mill, factory or mine on a few shillings a week and an early death. Many ordinary men became officers and senior NCOs which they cold not have dreamed of in peacetime.

800k would have been acceptable if they had any objectives. It wasn't "acceptable" but it certainly wasn't that bad in context. See For a war taking place between countries on four continents you'd think it would have more deaths than one country's civil war

Attached: 1551047666997.png (444x370, 70K)

This is a really good book on the myths of the war. The reality is for most soldiers most of the time it was not so bad. They were well-trained, well-fed, well-led and looked after carefully and it was usually better than their civilian lives. They only spent three or four days a month in the front line and usually it was peaceful.

Attached: mud.jpg (327x499, 21K)

This is just talking about the British experience though, which was far better than the experience of Russian, German, Austrian, Italian, Turkish, Serb or even French soldiers. There's a reason why the british army was the only one of the major combatants to go from start to finish without a major insurrection - they were very carefully looked after and the high command usually did not demand the impossible from them.

>But all the voice recordings of them said they loved it.
Did you watch the first ~third of the movie before shutting it off?

>What are Jow Forumss thoughts on They Shall Not Grow Old?
Such a massive sacrifice that proved to be pointless. UK is now a conquered country and all that loss was for nothing.
Just goes on to show you that you should never fight wars for elites.

>they shall not grow old
>all ww1 veterans have now passed away from old age

What did they mean by this?

That's nothing desu, over that number of Jews alone died in the following WW

>Timur
>war of the Three Kingdoms
>Taiping Rebellion
>Chinese conflicts
>people dying

Attached: 1553007767022.jpg (741x741, 59K)

Too short
Very shallow documentary-wise
Colorized footage is less than 25% of the movie, it was mostly still images and drawings.
Impressive lip reading and dubbing though.

And the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918 killed almost 5% of the world's population, but most people don't even know it happened.

The American Civil war killed almost 10% of the country's entire population, and wiped out whole cities' population of fighting age men due to how lines were structured. A single cannonball could turn a small town into a town of widowers.

As a detroiter, I'd say they had better survivability odds than I do

>Very shallow documentary-wise
What does that even mean?
>Colorized footage is less than 25% of the movie, it was mostly still images and drawings.
At least half of the movie is colorized footage.

have you ever shot anyone down there

Are you ok retard?

It’s a line from a famous poem about the fallen young men in ww1.
They shall not grow old because they died in 1916 at age 19.
Fucking zoomers.

I watched it with my gf. We both cried by the end of it.

No because I'm smart enough to stay away from the east side at night

I honestly thought it was because we would remember them as they have been memorialized by our society

And theres also plenty of people who said they hated it, and the fact of the matter is WWI was god fucking awful all around and left more people displaced, hungry and broken then it left people regarding it as a worthwhile experience.

Entirely beside the point?

ya my bad, i meant to say a good number said they liked it. not all of them

I can imagine that if you were a poor French farmer displaced because of the fighting or an Armenian escaping the Ottoman's you'd have a poorer opinion than the guy in the trenches who has a home and family to go back to if he makes it out

if they shall no grow old thne how come all ww1 soldiers grew old and died of old age?

That's the dual meaning of it, I think.
Going into the theater when I saw it and I took it as "We're going to see these men and their way of living then immortalized. They may be gone, but we remember them as they were."
Coming out of the theater and I saw it as "They shall not grow old because they are dead. They weren't like their comrades who grew up, had families, and eventually succumbed to the effects of aging. They died young in some field, some trench, or some stretch of woods. For some men filmed it may have been their last week, day, or hour alive."

Attached: canadian_over_the_top.jpg (1400x871, 157K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Aou-TAwG87o&ab_channel=SpokenVerse
Here's the full poem for context

Attached: 0719133724204_147_1376427778169.jpg (1756x1280, 648K)

I feel bad for the young boys who were killed in the first wave.
Felt even worse when the veteran reminded the viewer/interviewer that in your teens you don't have much of any life at all to flash before you eyes.
That's it.
They came and went.

Christ, their parents must have been absolutely devastated.

Attached: 1454074501253.jpg (919x720, 59K)

Astonishingly good. I remember seeing a webm from the movie on here, the one with the guy who fires the rifle grenade and gets his helmet knocked off and laughing about it. I thought that was a reenactor or something but nope, original footage. I was blown away with the clarity and detail.

Attached: WW1 Public Transport.webm (960x540, 1.91M)

>Very shallow documentary-wise

Jackson stated that it was meant to havea very narrow focus - the experience his Grandfather went through.

I'll check this out. Also, since we're talking about WW1 everyone should read Good-Bye To All That. Just a good book in general.

It doesn't have the romanticism and "horror" of a cow mooing video. No one will care.

I made that mistake as a tourist. Holy fucking shit it was scary.