Heading in to buy one in the next two hours. Which one, factoring in ammo cost?

Heading in to buy one in the next two hours. Which one, factoring in ammo cost?

strawpoll.me/17863876

Attached: 4066488F-A922-4360-B916-0805D5989DB6.jpg (660x370, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gunbroker.com/item/801101863
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By the way, if I go with the 336 or 77/357 neither will get optics. The 45-70 may get a red dot.

Also, what’s your guys’ rationale for your choice?

30-06

It has a high power, and pretty common as a cartridge, also i have it and its amazing

I used to have a marlin x7 in 06, and honestly after bow hunting for a bit I’ve decided these three rifles are the best choice for me.

Looks like it’s hot between the 357 and 30-30. Just wondering why guys are choosing whichever one they do

What do you plan to do with your rifle ?
>Hunting : Marlin in .30-30.
.357 will rely 100% on shot placement and will have poor ballistics past 80-100 yards. And you might want a 2nd shot the .45-70 won't provide.
>Plinking : 77/357.
For shooting cheap .38.
>HD : Marlin in .30-30.
Firing a bolt action rifle is too slow, particularly when firing a handgun cartridge that will most probably need a 2nd or 3rd shot to stop a threat. .30-30 softpoint will have much better terminal ballistics and you'll be able to fire the rifle quite quicker. Also, shooting .30-30, .357 or .45/70 in a house will expose you to (serious) overpenetration.

I don’t intend on shooting .38 through the Ruger. This will just be a hunting rifle.

I’m already squared away with a HD gun as well

I’m just still unsure of Marlins quality

I wouldnt buy anything from modern Remlin

I have a lot more fun with my Marlin 336 than I have with my CZ bolt gun (the 77/.357 is a Hawkeye style action, which is a Mauser variant, so I'd assume they handle pretty similarly). The ammo for the 77/.357 would be cheaper, but beyond that the Marlin would be more practical, more modifiable, and more fun to shoot. If you get one, get a .5" hiviz front sight and a William's peep rear sight.

Find an old Marlin 336 then. They are everywhere for really cheap. I got mine for free in a trade, made in '76. Typical hunter wear on it (the bore is well protected, but they never protect the outside before sticking it in the safe for 5 years), but I cleaned it up and it shoots great.

Old, JM stamped Marlin are good to go, as well as the one manufactured after 2015. If you buy a newly made gun there's nothing to fear. And .30-30 is a quite more potent round than .357 even when fired out of a long barrel.

>i voted for the ruger because its the best quality out of the choices unless you were to buy an older pre freedom group used marlin. Also because you said ammo price is a factor. just be aware that you wont get the same range with .357 mag as you would from a .30-30 but it will make a good brush gun.
The CVA is trash that i would only trust with the nerfed off the shelf ammo for cowboy action/plinking. Not hot loaded hunting rounds. For what its worth i love .45-70 govt just not the CVA. If you want poorfag .45-70 single shot that wont blow up in your face or beat itself to pieces i'd get something like this
>gunbroker.com/item/801101863

You're asking for an opinion on an underwater basket weaving picture forum, so you're to much of a pussy to handle a 30-30, and 45-70 is simply out of the question.

I think I’ve pretty much ruled out the 45-70 since I called every local store and ammo is almos $2 a shot.

The Ruger looks like good quality, but if I went with the marlin couldn’t I inspect it before purchase? I’m only buying new btw

Marlin 336 by far.

Attached: apusingingcowboy.jpg (1152x720, 97K)

new marlin is good to go

t. 1895

Attached: lever.jpg (2000x1125, 306K)

Attached: 2018marlinfit.jpg (1987x1113, 450K)

op are you alive

what did you buy

I’m just gonna wait for the thread to die honestly at this point. I just went and looked at ammo prices. $13 for 20 rounds of 30-30 is really tempting

thing about lever guns is: they're not semiautos. you don't load up 30 round magazine after 30 round magazine, and you manually eject every brass case you use.

you zero your rifle. that's 3-9 shots. then you practice your trigger squeeze. maybe another 10 rounds. then you only really need to fire when you're killing something for food, or when you want to blast a little. ammo might cost more, but you appreciate every shot and use much less.

>45-70
Not as technical as the other two, and easier to work with in terms of aftermarket customization. Also because it's a single shot, OP won't burn through as much ammo, thereby helping him ration whatever ammo he can get ahold of.

If the gun is fun to shoot I’ll shoot at least a box through it every weekend