Is this gun worth buying for light self defense? I don't know much and friends told me to get a Ruger Mark II

Is this gun worth buying for light self defense? I don't know much and friends told me to get a Ruger Mark II.

Attached: Ruger-Mark-II-best-survival-pistol-300x194.jpg (300x194, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6Nr8sXV8Jwo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No, get a Glock 19.

Is there some reason that purchasing a typical service pistol or concealed carry pistol is out of the question?

Attached: IMG_0757.jpg (900x468, 124K)

It's a nice little gun, but for self defense, you could get something like an M&P shield for about the same price and it's a concealable modern 9mm short recoil.

Or like two LCPs. Or save up and get a glock 26.

This gun is easier to get because an uncle just offered it to me for a low price.

It'll do but understand that .22lr is generally less reliable than a centerfire cartridge and has less than adequate terminal ballistics. That said it is serviceable in this role and has basically no recoil, though I would advise another choice, such as literally any other pistol in a typical centerfire cartridge.

Fuck glock shills. This board is full of fucking glock salesmen. OP do not buy a shitty inaccurate glawk. Every boomer retard buys that cheaply made piece of garbage. Get a CZ

Get a Glock 17/19 and go a couple of time to the range to train with it, it'll be enough. Make sure to buy some hollow point (HP) defense ammo. You can keep the gun loaded, but since you don't seem to be experienced with guns I wouldn't sugget you to keep a round in the chamber. Good luck user.

Nah cz75 is more accurate than a glock could ever hope to be

how low? Might be nice to have, but I wouldn't recommend it as your carry gun if you can spare another $300 or so for something more suitable.

czeched

He said I could have it for $250, it's in nice condition. The problem for me is that I don't have a great job income and this just seems tempting.

If it's for self defense, save for something else. You can probably get a shotgun for around the $250 range if you don't plan on carrying, but if you do plan on carrying, literally any centerfire handgun .32 ACP and up is going to be a better option.

>2
oh no

No. It could do the job if you have no other options, but it simply would be less effective compared to other equally affordable options. For target shooting and a nice small game gun they work great though. I have a friend I often go hunting with and he always brings his Mark IV for squirrels and rabbits. For self-defense, and provide good alternatives. I can understand if you're attracted to the Ruger's appearence, but more pragmatic, cost effective, and lethal choices are present for self-defense. If you want something light weight, there are plenty of 9mm and .380's out there.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 205K)

$250 is a good price to be honest. If you can jump on it and feel that you would be satisfied with just having a gun, I'd say go for it. Having a gun that you know how to use with ammunition pretty much solves 90% of the home defense gun problem. However, part of me thinks that you will just keep thinking about how another gun would do the job better, which it would.

It's a .22 you retard

Nah too big and heavy for what you want, get a ppk 22 or something like that.

Is it true that these are retarded to field strip?

Yeah, the first couple of times it's a bitch. Plenty of videos on YouTube though.

Your friends are fucking retarded. Not only is .22 unreliable due to rimfire, it's also weak, and it's not like a Mark II has some amazing capacity advantage over literally any other pistol.

yes. The new versions are much improved

palmettostatearmory.com/smith-wesson-m-p-shieldtm-9mm.html
Here is a proper brand new carry gun for the same price as your uncle's used .22 woodchuck buster.
I would also recommend you get a proper holster and not a $12 "uncle Mike's".

Attached: 1552692459242.jpg (640x619, 42K)

If you can also buy it simply as a good plinking gun, secondarily being maybe a bedside gun, then its great. Its what I use, and my wife has it on her bedside.

STFU idiot, Glocks have so much support because they're excellent handguns that "just work".
stupid cz hipster lookin ass

Seriously, I would buy it.

Start shooting today with a gun that you can afford to shoot a lot. Save up while you decide what you want. I would not carry it but if you are no guns, it is better than a lot of things for around the house.

I might catch hell but seriously, I started on a 22 pistol and I got gud over a summer 10 years ago because I could shoot every fucking day for a couple bucks. Just learn how to clean the gun, it is not hard although everyone will tell you it is. These are fucking great pistols dude.

OP if you do get a Ruger Mark series get a Mark IV

They're much easier to field strip

youtube.com/watch?v=6Nr8sXV8Jwo

I have a Standard and 4 Mark IIs. That is a selling point only if you aren't Jow Forums and like missing out on Mark II master race.

>boomer
>glock

Or they're just solid guns that work while being easy to work on which makes them great entry points into firearms ownership.

>stupid cz hipster lookin ass
Imagine shit talking something you know nothing about just to look cool on the internet.

>implying that you need top notch accuracy for a HD gun
What a retard

> inaccurate
Glocks are very mechanically accurate. You're just a shit shot. Post groups

Congratulations, you just admitted superior CZ accuracy.

>Inaccurate Glock
You sir, are a massive homo
When you need it to save your life, and your adrenaline is pumping, what the FUCK does "accuracy" matter? poking holes in center mass is all that matters.

And?

Worried you're going to fight a grizzly on bath salts?

Bro, do you even shoot 2" dots?

In comes the cz retard that settled for copies trash

Of all the criticisms made about Glocks, innacuracy has never been one. If you can't shoot a Glock well it's more likely you need to get used to the trigger or sights. Unless you're a high level competition shooter just about any modern handgun is more accurate than you.

>what the FUCK does accuracy matter
you will be the first to die on DotR

Glock is the Prius of the gun world.

I'd rather carry a glock than a ruger .22 desu. MP owner tho

I'd carry a .380 Auto or a .38 revolver instead of a .22.

A Ruger .22 is good for plinking and target practice, but for a carry gun, you'd be pushing your luck. btw former colt cobra owner until my brother stole it a few years ago.

It can work for sure, but since it is chambered in 22LR it might be a bit underpowered. That doesn't mean it isn't lethal per se, but I would feel a lot better armed with at least a 9mm.

>”Mah poking holes center mass is all that matters” “yup” “Sip”
Fuck off you Neanderthal herd follower. Get a fucking principal thought before you try to formulate an argument in your pea sized brain.

That's an OK price. I'd buy it because it's from a family member and it is quite a good gun too, especially for a beginner to learn on. Caliber is a bit weak, but if you demp the whole magazine into one attacker they will probably go down and the odds of you needing it are slim in any case. Definitely better than no gun if a gun is needed.

>"light self defense"
What does that even mean? Are you afraid of being attacked by mice?

That is an OK price for a Ruger Mk II in good condition.

A Ruger Mk II is a plinking/training pistol. It's not a fighting pistol. You can defend yourself with it. It may even run reliably if it's kept clean and you use good quality ammo. But .22 LR is not the best choice if you are buying it and planning to use it to fight for your life. It is low in power and the rimfire priming makes the ammunition inherently less reliable than centerfire ammunition. Its only advantage is that the ammunition is inexpensive and you'll be able to afford to practice a lot more for the same amount of money, compared to getting, for example, a .45.

No one wants to get shot. And for the price, I might be tempted to get it myself, as another range toy.

It's not so much getting them apart that's difficult, though it is more complicated than it is with most other designs. It's getting them back together where a lot of people run into the more serious problems.

Take it apart and put it back together ten or twenty times. Once you've got it down it's not so bad. But yes, disassembly/reassembly is more difficult than most.

>Inaccurate Glock
Git gud scrub

>have so much support
>just work
If they just work, then they wouldn't need support.
>poking holes in center mass is all that matters
>what the FUCK does "accuracy" matter?
Well, which is it then? You just contradicted yourself.

You're not wrong about duds being more of a problem with rimfire, and the Ruger .22 semiauto pistols of the Mark series do start displaying extraction and ejection problems once they get dirty.

To play Devil's Advocate, though--nobody wants to get shot. According to Internet statistics, over the course of the 20th Century, when it comes to death by gunshot wounds, more Americans were killed with .22 LR bullets than all other calibers combined--and that includes the almost half million who died in the Second World War.

Hollowpoints in .22 LR tend to fragment and underpenetrate, but high velocity lead solids go to 12"-14" in calibrated 10% ballistic gel, and will punch through the skull just fine. A .22 caliber hole in the aorta will kill a man just as dead as a .45 hole. A faceful of angry metal bees just might ruin someone's whole day.

There are people out there, and OP is probably not one of them, who have physical limitations preventing them from operating more powerful firearms. They can't pull back the slide, they can't pull a double action trigger, they can't tolerate the recoil. A semiauto .22 pistol is not a bad choice for them--IF they practice, IF they keep it clean and lubed, IF they use decent ammo. A mag full of .22s to the face could ruin your whole day.

Definitely buy it, but it's absolutely not a carry or defensive handgun. Definitely buy it though.

I agree. OP needs to git gud. A Ruger Mk. II is the perfect tool to git gud. You can go to Wal-Mart and buy a carton of 525 rounds of .22 LR for the same price as one 50 round box of .45.

Look through the rear sight at the front sight.
Focus on your front sight. Press the trigger. Repeat as needed. Front sight, press. Front sight, press. Git gud.

In the meantime, any gun is better than a rape whistle, and lots of bad people over the past 150 or so years have been killed with .22s. It isn't the best choice but it's better than fingernails.

If I were to save more money and get a much more expensive, centerfire, long-term investment, what is Jow Forums's suggestion?

The current trend in military service and police duty handguns is fullsize service pistols with polymer frames and striker fired mechanisms.

There are lots of choices. The Glocks are popular, as is the S&W Military & Police line, as is the SIG P320, as is the HK VP9. Beretta was the last European holdout that didn't make a striker fired handgun, but now they've brought out the APX, which is fugly, but works.

There are also revolvers if you like revolvers, but not everyone does, and it sounds like you haven't tried one yet. And metal framed pistols, but that's decreasing in popularity.

Just picked one up at my LGS for $190. Had to try 6 types of ammo to see what it likes: CCI and (surprisingly) Thunderbolt. Would not recommend for self defense. Beretta 92s for $300 - great deal, better value for your use.

“Now standing in one corner of a boxing ring with a .22 caliber Colt automatic pistol, shooting a bullet weighing only 40 grains and with a striking energy of 51 foot pounds at 25 feet from the muzzle, I will guarantee to kill either Gene Tunney or Joe Louis before they get to me from the opposite corner. This is the smallest caliber pistol cartridge made; but it is also one of the most accurate and easy to hit with, since the pistol has no recoil. I have killed many horses with it, cripples and bear baits, with a single shot, and what will kill a horse will kill a man. I have hit six dueling silhouettes in the head with it at regulation distance in five seconds. It was this type of pistol that Millen boys’ colleague, Abe Faber, did all his killings with. Yet this same pistol bullet fired at point blank range will not dent a grizzly’s skull, and to shoot a grizzly with a .22 caliber pistol would simply be one way of committing suicide”

--Ernest Hemingway

Attached: aa6948b7a4c5020880598224b7294d9c--elephant-gun-hunting-rifles.jpg (580x635, 81K)

...this kind of shit is why people have been saying Hemingway was a ghoul and probably a closet case ever since the 1920s, you know.