Handgun General - /hg/ - #285

Ghost gun edition

Pastebin:
pastebin.com/gs6mLNik

Guide:
scribd.com/document/382993265/gitgud-1-rev2-1

Old

Attached: 20190422_200228.jpg (2576x1932, 1.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

uspatriotarmory.com/ss80-glock-43-complete-build-kit.html
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=28&bulletid=38
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=170&shellid=28&bulletid=39
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do they make reliable guns?

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x997, 57K)

Yes

Sometimes.

Mostly.

The old rule of thumb was that Ruger .22s and Ruger revolvers were absolutely top notch, but anything else they made was kind of spotty.

The Ruger P-series semiauto pistols from the 80s were ridiculously overbuilt, bombproof, indestructible. They also don't make them any more, and something must be wrong with Ruger's striker-fired handgun designs because they keep dropping them and introducing a new one every couple of years. Supposedly Ruger centerfire rifles, especially the Model 77, have gotten a lot better since 2005 or so.

Just curious, why does Kimber only make the 9mm version of the "Custom II" 1911 in two-tone? I think it'd look better in all black on all black, like the .45s. I guess there's always black BBQ grill paint.

>black BBQ grill paint.
Why don't you take it to a shop and get it properly refinished like a decent human being.

This an anecdote so take a lb of salt but l had a 9e that couldnt make it through a whole magazine without a malfunction. Maybe it just needed to get broken in but l ended up just dumping it. I did some research and this seems to not be the norm

Because it ought to a factory option.

I prefer my guns like I prefer my violence: black on black.

He wasnt saying dont get it colored he was saying take it to a pro and have it done right bubba

If /hg/ found $3k on the street and could choose a three-handgun quiver that covered the spectrum of your ideal carry gun, range toy, home defense, innawoods, etc, which guns would you select? Hardmode: pick a two-gun quiver instead.

1. EDC and nightstand: G19
2. Range: CZ 75 B
3. Plinkin': R1 10mm

Attached: 1440890993996.jpg (600x900, 276K)

Hey guys, I just got a job cause I decided it'd be smart to buy a gun with the way things have been going.
What is the best handgun to buy, and why?
I would prefer something under $1000 but closer to $500.
I live in North Carolina, so it shouldn't be a problem getting a permit and stuff.

LCP II
Glock 19
.300blk AR "pistol"

m&p 2.0 compact 9 for carry

m9a3 with suppressor for range toy

S&W Model 19-4 for home defense

What do you want to do with it? Hunt? Home defense? CCW? Plink at the range? Different tools have different purposes.

Good point.
I guess I would start with a handgun just for simple in-home self-defense. I wouldn't take it out of the house.

home defense? carry?

92FS

For home defense a long gun would generally be a better choice. Like maybe a short AR15 type carbine, or, for traditionalists, a shotgun.

A full size service pistol in 9mm, .40, or .45 would be my suggestion, and the ammo will be least expensive in 9mm. It may also kick a little less, and it may also hold another one or two cartridges in the magazine.

Is there an indoor gun range near you that rents firearms? Try a few and see what you like. Fairly popular around here, in terms of full size modern polymer 9mm pistols:

Glock 17
S&W Military & Police
SIG P320
HK VP9
Some people like the Springfield XD, but it gets a lot of hate around here.

Try it. Try several. Ask the counter guy which guns break more often and which give fewer problems.

You have a lot of options for $500 so you should decide if you want metal or polymer, striker or hammer, compact or full sized, etc.

Probably a 92a1 so you can put a light on it

Generally yes, but if not Ruger's customer service is one of if not the best in the industry. They're like the Vortex of gun manufacturers; cheap and warrantied forever for any reason.

Because the only people who keep Kimber in business are boomers lusting after .45 AARP and they don't buy 9mms. Don't worry, Kimber will adapt or die along with the boomers in the 2020-30s.

Have a look at the pastebin in OP and see what kind of gun you're looking for first. If is it then yeah, a full size 9mm with a rail or possibly night sights would be ideal. There are lots of great options, some of them also listed in the pastebin in OP

Attached: a3 on wood.jpg (2000x1333, 736K)

Man, I want that A3. Is there any way to swap an A1 slide on it? Only thing I don't like about the A3 is the dovetailed front sight. I don't trust it, read it's a semi- frequent issue for them to come off. during use.

Someone help me with my shooting technique please.

Been practicing more and I’ve gotten a lot better in terms of trigger control but my grip still leaves a little to be desired. I’m using a grip similar to Vogel and it’s helped a ton with initial muzzle flip but the gun isn’t settling afterwards. It dips below the target and then rises up again.

What do? Am I anticipating recoil?

>read it's a semi- frequent issue for them to come off. during use.
Huh. Hadn't heard that. I don't see how, it's not just shoved in like every other gun it's staked on both sides.

If other guns front sights don't come out sideways without staking I'm surprised to hear you've even heard of M9A3 sights coming out with staking.

I just did a gay halfassed search and only saw one guy talking about it and a Beretta rep popped into his random lebbit thread and said bro we got u. So idk how much stock I put in M9A3 sights being problematic.

Attached: 20sb89nf.jpg (1930x1509, 283K)

Do you prefer the black M9A3 or the FDE?

I'm thinking about selling my HK P2000 v3 in 9mm for a USP9 Compact. Any insight from anons that have experience with both?
I got the P2000 thinking I'd want to carry it but I found I like the Glock 26 more for that role.
I also got a chance to shoot a USP9c a while back and was impressed with the trigger and being able to change trigger systems piqued my interest, since I'd have to buy a completely new gun to try an LEM. I didn't get a chance to shoot them side by side though.

I like da/sa and want a thin single stack
Is the new PPK/S a good choice? What are some other options

Does the berreta 96 have high recoil or are people just...pppppppussies?
Do i have to wear a suit to CC a Walther PP/k/?
How much does this usually cost?

Attached: Arkansas-made-Walther-PPKS-stainless.jpg (960x644, 108K)

Opinion of course, mine is gray but I think the black looks really sharp and I think the FDE looks like a dusty clown. There are like eight different colors on the FDE. I'm thinking about getting another one in black.

They're the same size and the same mechanism, what are you hoping to gain from a USPc? Seems like you should get something completely different if the P2K isn't your bag.

Also I'm looking for an inexpensive P2000 to populate my red frame, you want to sell? [email protected]

Attached: berettica.jpg (2400x1600, 1012K)

The staked, dovetailed sights on the M9A3 ain’t going anywhere unless you feel like rolling up your sleeves and breakin’ a sweat.

Attached: FC49382F-142C-4B96-BF74-8D5E7E8C45F8.jpg (1024x475, 90K)

What's the closest I can get to a 1911 in a gun that actually holds a respectable amount of ammo in 2019? Particularly in terms of ergonomics and trigger.

Interdasting. Do you feel the M9A3 is a real service- oriented firearm that carries on the original M9, or does it feel more like a market- oriented move made to just sell to civilians? I mean purely by feel.

Negro, I want more than 10+1 rounds of 9mm. I can get 15+1 in my g19 but I'm better with 1911s.

It feels like a combat pistol, a really fucking expensive and well made combat pistol.

I'd buy one right now if I could afford it.

You can get a double stack 1911

>Ruger Striker Fired Handguns

Unironically I bought a Ruger American Compact. It's actually pretty fucking good for 320$, and was meant to compete in the XM17 modular handgun competition.

> they keep dropping them and introducing a new one every couple of years
Most of Ruger's stuff has been hammer fired. They dropped the LCP original because the trigger was ass, and the LCR had a revision for a similar reason.

The SR9 was Ruger's first major striker fired handgun, and IIRC it was a "testbed" of features that was pretty well received overall. They dropped it to split between the "budget" Security 9 (internal hammer) and the "duty" American series (Modular Not-a-Glock).

You could buy 2 1911's and have one in each hand

A 2011, satan

It definitely feels like a service weapon. Apart from the vertec grip the upgrades are minor over the well proven M9, it's as legit a heritage as there is.

Obviously since the M9A3 wasn't even in the M17 trials it literally is just a market-oriented move made to sell to civillians, but it is also literally an M9 with decades of admirable service under it's belt, plus modernization upgrades. When you take into account the baseline price of the existing M9A1, tack on the vertec grip, extra grip panel, night sights, 1913-ish rail, D spring, paint and special frame color anodizing, cutting edge 17 round "sand resistant" mags (3 of them btw) the price totally makes sense. We're talking ~$100 more than an M9A1. To my mind the M9A3 makes the M9A1 a poor choice.

The M9A3 feels like any other Beretta 92. It's a nice solid feeling smooth racking very soft shooting 9mm with great mag capacity and reliability, and a great trigger. They all are.

Attached: grayretta.jpg (1900x1267, 602K)

I haven't heard anything bad about the Rock Island double stack 1911s outside of a few ejection issues on the .22 TCM one.

Oh jeez and I forgot the threaded barrel (+$150) and the extendo mag release (+$35) too. Man that's a good deal

Para ordnance P12

Blew my springfield out of the water

Should I ever fire it again Jow Forums? I'm afraid it might break.

Attached: IMG_2152s.jpg (1092x2592, 824K)

Hi Power or CZ75b

Guns want to be shot

Please help

I'm kind of curious what the rule of thumb is for how long guns actually last.

I know metallurgy of certain productions matter, as does changes in modern powder, and some calibers increased the standard powder load.

EG, I've got an old Krag Jorgensen, everything looks good, but I have no idea how long it will actually last if I bothered to do reloads for it.

Bersa makes a nice modernized PPK. You can even get a double stack vetsion.

If you're worried, take the original springs and firing pin out of him and set them in his box for preservation, and shoot him with new parts.

There are still rifles from the 1860s, maybe earlier, that are in operable condition.

Interesting. It's been a while since i took it apart. Is the firing pin even numbered?

It's all matching, so I am worried about breaking an original part.

Why would you recommend that crap?
>modernized
Ugly aesthetics and mag safeties are modernization

looking to get with a 92a1 (rail) or 92fs compact (no rail) not CCW , just for the range and carrying OWB at the farm here in Canada, i got big hands, which one would you pick?

or a A3, or 92a1 wilson combat, all forsale for used on cgn

Is it safe to say that for a full-size handgun, more weight is preferred to tone down the recoil? Like a steel CZ75 is better as a range gun, while a G19 or smaller is better for carry or home?

Attached: 1451688918206.jpg (1921x3132, 1.91M)

Bersa is not crap.

>15+1 rounds of 380 in a PPK

Attached: medium-8911.jpg (800x594, 261K)

At that point why not get any number of Glock 19 sized da/sa 9mms?

Because it's still smaller, and you don't always need something bigger than a .380.

>still smaller
Big doubt from me dog

Tturn the money in.
Buy Hi-Point wit the $300 reward.
Sleep well.

Definitely the 92A1. I just got that 92 Compact and it feels really weird. I have biggish hands but the way the grip gets fat at the magwell right under my pinky makes it feel really brickish, and the full sized ones don't feel like that. Full size feel really great.

A1, A3 or Wilson, depends on price really. Also idk what Canaderp gun prices are like or what's scarce (so more expensive) there, but I'd want an A3 or a Wilson over an A1 if they were all free.

idk but the parts that break on old guns are usually springs and firing pin tips, so by taking them completely out of the running you can minimize any damage that might happen.

Yep! See: the recent wave of all-steel guns coming to market for that reason.

However guns like the g19 and Beretta PX4 have very low, pleasant recoil despite being all plastic so steel doesn't always equal lower recoil.

From pictures the Bersa Thunder Plus is just a little bigger than a G43, it's quite a bit smaller than a g19. Thunder Plus is a 2-finger gun without a grip extendo

Attached: great technique.jpg (2200x1467, 630K)

Does anyone know a place to get Glock 43 kits for under $600?

uspatriotarmory.com/ss80-glock-43-complete-build-kit.html

This place has them for $609 but that seems pretty expensive.

>mr73 at a $5.50 discount and two white monsters for the other pouches

Attached: brrap.jpg (1160x474, 83K)

this is cool. i'm glad the gendermaries version is the same weight.

Attached: mr73 model characteristics.jpg (657x413, 56K)

Attached: parts diagram.jpg (861x668, 561K)

If it's no longer numbers matching original then shoot it to your heart's content

it is all matching though, hence why i don't want to shoot it no mo

>ghost gun edition
Pic related

For MR73 user:
>125gr Speer GDHP, 1999fps
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=125&shellid=28&bulletid=28
>158gr Speer GDHP, 1686fps
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=28&bulletid=38
>170gr Speer GDSP, 1617fps
alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=170&shellid=28&bulletid=39

Attached: 20180526_111759.jpg (3264x1836, 1.52M)

>p80 Glock full-size frame
>Cut grip to compact length
>357 sig barrel from bear creek
>G22 slide
>rest is OEM

What compensator you guys recommend?

Attached: IMG_20190422_172516292.jpg (3840x2160, 2.91M)

my man. thank you good sir.
will post back with results in the coming months

>EDC
Sig P365
>range
doublestack 6" comped 1911 built on the Caspian titanium doublestack frame. Probably in 9x19.
>plinkin'
H&R 999 Sportsman 5" vent rib

Happy to help. Hope you love your new gun. As a side note, those loads should be doable with more than just the Gold Dot bullets, although as always work up and check pressure signs. I'm a fan of the Hornady XTP's, they're also awesome bullets, and stoutly constructed (particularly the XTP-Mag, which sadly isn't offered in .357 bullets but I've been able to drive the 240gr .451's to over 2300fps and not have them come apart when using them in my Encore rifle)

is that a brownells slide? did you use a sealing plate under that RMR or is it mounted directly?

Hard mode
Glock 17 or Sig m17 bravo- range/plinking/hd
Ruger sp101 2 1/4 barrel in 357- innawoods/ccw

thanks bro. me too. the dark bluing with the golden straw is 2 cute

Yes it's a brownells slide. I didn't use a sealing PLATE, but it is sealed. I made a gasket for it with RTV sealant, a putty knife, and a silicone baking mat.

Dumbass question

Being an American, I kind of want to attempt gunsmithing. Nothing powerful or stupid, just a 22 or 17 single action revolver. I've got experience with machining, designing and ordering custom fabricated parts

Is that rock-quarry only, or something I could convince a rangemaster to let me try at a range? The idea loses appeal if I can't easily shoot it.

Find a range without a range officer on duty. Most of the ranges around me are state owned and do not.

A few articles I read tell new shooters not to buy a DAO handgun as their first gun and should only consider DA/SA, mainly to reduce trigger finger fatigue. Do any Glock owners truly max out after 40 rounds at the range, or are the authors just wimps?

>40 rounds
>trigger finger fatigue
lmao wat

DA/SA is nice to have for it's function. Rent some DAO and DA/SA and see what you think of the triggers.

That's a firm "Rock Quarry"

No joke:
>The quick onset of exhaustion that is inevitable when shooting DAO limits the number of shots you can fire in a single range visit severely. When shooting Glocks, my hands start shaking after 20 rounds, and I have to go home after 40

>my hands start shaking
That's not "trigger finger fatigue"
That's adrenaline/stress from your lizard brain reacting to the explosion in front of your face, and it's going to happen with anything bigger than a 22. You go to the range to train yourself not to react to it.

Fucking link that shit, LMAO that guy

The author must have cerebral palsy.

Just ordered my P220, can't fucking wait

carry gun, range toy, home defense, innawoods gun: HK P30 V1
"Other" gun: HK45ct
"Other" gun: Dan Wesson Razorback

Attached: 20190422_235032.jpg (713x950, 470K)

I don't own a Glock, but I feel like I should have one. Looking to buy a Glock 19.

Do I buy a Gen 4 or Gen 5?

VP9 you say? Happy Easter!

Attached: 56544807_130756188033182_3680538448382932078_n.jpg (1080x1080, 154K)

On paper, the Gen 5 is better than the Gen 4 in features, but the magwell cutout is annoying to most people. Look for the Gen 5 MOS version if you want "Glock Perfection."

If I'm planning on shooting myself in the head and don't want to leave anything to chance, can I use anything smaller than a .357? I've heard of people surviving a 9mm to the head.

Guess I'll have to handle one at a store. I have large hands too, so that cutout might be annoying.

All my pistols are metal framed, not that I have anything against polymer guns, I just like the feel of "real steel".

#1:
>Beretta 92x
>Beretta Elite LTT or Wilson Brig tac
>S&W shield 2.0

#2:
>Glock 34
>Glock 26
>Dan Wesson 1911 in .45 or 10mm

#1 could be a couple CZ shadow 2's instead of Berettas
#2 could be a CZ p10f and p10s instead of the Glocks

Walther edition
>PPQ Q5 with RMR
>PPQ Q4 tac with suppressor and RMR
>PPS M2

Don't use a gun you gigantic coward. Just because your life is shit doesn't mean you need to fuck it up for the rest of us.

>range fun/nightstand: CZ 97b "E" conversion
>USPSA: CZ Shadow 2 in .40 SW
>EDC: CZ 2075 RAMI

I like what I like, and what I like is da/sa steel framed handguns.

Don't kill yourself. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and is more often the fatal symptom of a treatable illness than the result of problems within your life that can't be solved or won't pass.

If you have no-one to call, call the suicide/crisis hotline (I can't post the number here, but it's a google away.) They can help you deal with what you're going through, and connect you with a doctor who can make you better.

t. Someone who survived a suicide attempt and now has a pretty great life

What gun is this?
The one with the arrow, its the most aesthetic gun I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Attached: 1555983604006.jpg (2400x1600, 1.31M)

Literally just read the slide where your arrow is pointing.

Dude, how do you function? It's in the picture, and at worst a simple search away...

Attached: 1509627714375.jpg (1232x816, 396K)