I own a shotgun but now I'm ready for a rifle. How much should a new AR 15 cost, and if I get one like pic related...

I own a shotgun but now I'm ready for a rifle. How much should a new AR 15 cost, and if I get one like pic related, is it fully customizeable, or are there certain AR 15's that are "better" for modifying? Sorry for the newbie questions. Thanks for any help.

Attached: 1555982605126m.jpg (731x1024, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-rifle-kit.html
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html
sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/183931
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>How much should a new AR 15 cost
Between $350 and $3500
>is it fully customizeable
Yes. You can pull literally any part off that gun and put a new part in.

What is your budget and what do you want the AR for.

I'm looking for an all around rifle. Home defense, hunting, civil war, etc.

> better for modding
We dont call it that, but 5.56 ar15s are pretty much 100 percent compatible, save for a few proprietary designs out there you are not likely to encounter those on a newfag budget.

If you want to fuck around with your guns configuration you should go with a flat top receiver and low profile gas block. Their pretty much all flat tops these days but some ( alot of the mega cheapest) have fixed front sight posts that will limit your ability to be a railfag

Consider a kit. It will be cheaper and you will learn a little bit about how the gun works. It's easy as fuck

S&W M&P Sport II.

Got a few options. If you don't want to have to do anything, Ruger AR556 or S&W M&P Sport II. Both are pretty good.

If you want to go cheaper but equivalent quality and aren't afraid of putting it together yourself, buy a complete upper from PSA and a lower.
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-rifle-kit.html
palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html
That's what you need. $300 gets you a complete, functioning AR. All you need to put it together is some oil of your choice for lubing parts, a hammer, and a allen key set. You can get a few more tools to make it easier, but that's literally all I use. Protip: put some duct tape on the hammer head so you don't fuck everything up. Redneck wooden mallet. Brownells has a series of videos on youtube that shows complete assembly instructions.

If you can spend a little more and want some better quality, pick up an Aero precision upper and lower. Wait for them to go on sale and you can get a solid deal.

I'd get the PSA AR15 Complete Lower / M&P Shield 9mm combo for $350 and an upper for $200

So for $550 you have an AR15 and a new pistol

Don't buy anything with a carbine length gas system. Mid-length or longer, depending on your barrel length.

yeah this was my first AR, served me well.

Just do this. Worrying about gas systems lengths, building your own, whatever: it doesn't matter for your needs
It's a great gun no matter your level, but there's zero to debate or figure out or research. Just do it

why?

cheap AR = $500
mid range AR = $1000
built nicely yourself = $2000
high end built for you = $3000+

It's not 1990 anymore

$400 if you get a good deal on a receiver and some kit bundles. Everything is swappable. Your FFL might charge you $50 or something to ship the receiver if you don't have a bro FFL to ship to.

I'm in the same boat looking to buy my first AR. I don't feel like putting in the effort to put together my own, yes yes I know it'd be a better deal etc. Maybe on my next one. I'll cap my budget at ~$850 or so

My question is why is the standard barrel length for most of them I see 16"? Do you all also have long bois too? Or is a 20" barrel just a meme nowadays?

Depending on what you think about Springfield's anti 2A bs, sportsmansoutdoors has the Saint for $600.

sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/183931

16" is lighter and more maneuverable. While it does reduce the effectiveness of 5.56 NATO by about 100m as well as make it louder and brighter while firing, you're not going to give a fuck in a home defense scenario.

I have a 20", 10.5", 11.5" currently. In the past I've owned 14.5" and 16" and 18".

For a first AR I would suggest 16". It gets you very close to 20" ballistically. 20" has a rifle length gas system which people say is much smoother and better and whatever else. I don't feel much difference. Maybe you will. Basically all 20" does for sure is weigh more and stick out more.

>by about 100m
lol no

Attached: velocity-table.gif (1243x612, 77K)

do this op

For that budget, get the brownells aero kit and the stock/handguard of your choice. Perfect rifle, much better than these poorfag suggestions and marginally different from 2000 gucci builds

That or find some asshole who bought a gucci rifle, never shot it, and buy his upper at a steep discount and slap an Aero lower on it.

Spend a few hundred more than you would for an M&P and get a Centurion Arms CM4.

Be better off getting a BCM.

Assuming this is your first AR, you're likely going to want a barrel length of 16" since you don't want to deal with NFA fuckery. With a 16" barrel (and even a 14.5") the dwell time is more than it needs to be for reliable function. That is, the bullet stays in the barrel after passing the gas port longer, meaning the gas pressure will remain high over a longer period of time. This increases the cyclic rate of your bolt, which accelerates wear on your parts.
If you do decide to deal with NFA fuckery I would suggest getting what's called a "pistol brace." Basically it's a thing that attaches to the end of your buffer tube that you can use as a stock but the ATF will still classify your gun as a "pistol" meaning you can have a barrel length under 16". 10.5" is really the lowest you can go without blowing your eardrums and causing semi-permanent blindness, so if you want to go the braced pistol route I would suggest a barrel length of anywhere from 10.5"-12.7". With these barrel lengths a carbine length gas system eill be optimal. For pistol braces I would personally recommend the SBA3 or the Maxim Defense PDW brace, but there are many other, cheaper options.