EDC knives and Steel

What is everyones EDC, go-to knife and what is your favorite blade steel. Just gifted my brother my old Microtech Ultratech in Elmax as I was alerted that the Microtech just got a batch of good ol' American made Carpenter 204P steel. Order was placed and it should be here in a few days. 204P, imo, is better than M390 as it's made in the USA and has more Tungsten.

Attached: timthumb.php.jpg (1407x720, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2IlCp4Zn21E
youtube.com/watch?v=ONC3lOkoC9c
amazon.com/TwoSun-Knives-Outdoot-Titanium-Folding/dp/B07848THRM
youtube.com/watch?v=o_scXk2JAZc
coldsteel.com/italian-long-sword.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Steel preference is for fucking nerds. A good knife will hold an edge because it's not made of potmetal chinkshit.

I am a steelfag. I wont purchase anything that doesn't use Elmax, M390, 204P, S35, etc. I need a tried and true steel for my EDC.

any decent ones you can buy on amazon?

Nah, they were banned and I wouldn't trust eBay. BladeHQ is an official dealer though. They're not cheap, but the newer models are suppose to have a better fit and finish than their predecessors.

I have an ultratech in 204p that jumped out of my pocket and bounced off of a running board before kissing the ground. Body was undamaged but it ejected a screw without damaging the threads, seems like the screw never even met the threads in the first place. Like they just realized the stem was too thin and superglued it into the body.

Might send it in, might not. I've heard nothing but horror stories about microtech customer service. Back to a s110v paramilitary 2 for me.

I spend literal tens of thousands per year on firearms but I havent been able to convince myself to spend $400 on the microtech I've had my eye on for years.
I fuck knives up way faster than I do guns and cant bring myself to justify it.

The propriety screws are a menace user. They are notorious for backing out after numerous fires. I have heard their customer service has improved as of late.

I reserve this as an EDC defense knife. It can perform small tasks, but at the end of the day a d/e blade is designed for stabbing and slashing. I spend a lot of time in bars and for obvious reasons, I wont carry my Glock when I have been drinking. I would rather carry my MT.

These days an Ontario RAT 1 and a Benchmade 940-2.
I haven't been excited about knives in a long time but next is an Umnumzaan and an urban trapper whenever they make one that isn't a bendy piece of shit.

My current EDC is a chinkshit Cypher MK7 clone in "D2 steel". Scratch testing with other genuine knives with various blade steels put it at about 57 HRC, so it's pretty shit. It holds an edge for long enough though and it's easy to sharpen.

Go-to is any of several knives depending on the situation

Favorite steel is plain old 420HC. Specifically Leatherman's. It's cheap, takes a wicked sharp edge and holds it for longer than a cheap steel has any right to.

this here bit of 1095 will outperform 90% of your super steel shit, by virtue of great geometry, and heat treat that maximizes it's potential.

And if you want to sperg out about "muh steel", knock yourself out:
youtube.com/watch?v=2IlCp4Zn21E

Attached: 20180902_135029.jpg (4128x2322, 3.02M)

What kind of knives do you tend to use? I'm curious what sort of steels you are messing up, not trying to be confrontational, genuinely curious.

Hihi, naifu-chan EDC cold steel ameirikan lawman in OD greeeeeen and recon tanto! Very good naifu, fucku benchmeido.

No steel preference for naifu-chan. Poor steel and heat treat is everywhere in western naifu market. Completely clown world. Do not worry too much, honk honk

>steel is steel
there's a lot more to it than that. ive built and hardened my own tools and it's a combination of steel quality and hardening process
i have beater edc knives and i have one nice edc knife but i only spent 100 on it
yeah 420hc is great for beater knives. quick to get razor sharp, but not that strong and doesnt hold an edge as long as a better steel will
bruh you heat treat all your super steel shit too. 1095 is great but it is very susceptible to rust and isn't that strong
not a huge benchmade fan either because of locks and theyre overpriced as hell for what they are

Hihi, benchmeido axis lock is breddy good. Not super OP compared to spydercuck and other ameirikan brands. Benchmeido is faggots, is destroy pew pews and thats not daijoubu ;_;

Boker Kawaiken; VG-10 with titanium scales to match my watch.

Attached: E2929896-515C-4F20-B735-41D1D2800024.jpg (4032x3024, 3.96M)

>bruh you heat treat all your super steel shit too. 1095 is great but it is very susceptible to rust and isn't that strong

youtube.com/watch?v=ONC3lOkoC9c

it's strong enough for anyone who isn't retarded enough to think that the measure of a "good knife" is the ability to withstand batoning clean through a car door.

Also - you clearly weren't paying attention. High carbide "super" steels are quite weak in very thin crosssections. Geometry makes a huge difference.

And for the record - I have knives in m390, s30v, d2, SzH13 (russian equivalent of 52100), 1.2235, 154CM, US2000mc, and a few others, and the little 1095 easily outperforms them all just by being better made.

Attached: edc_small.jpg (1024x576, 411K)

>EDC knives

nigga just get a swiss army knife. if you need anything more you probably aren't EDCing, you're just carrying tools for the job.

you're forgetting your titanium sounding rod

Glad that’s on my search history now :’)

Attached: E5C13D1B-14C1-4C0C-AD27-805F7F707C4F.jpg (1080x1350, 275K)

Benchmade freek that i bought before all the gun shit went down. I’m pretty happy with it. I get it covered in oil, chems, and generally abuse it and it’s held up.

It’s s30v but I’m not a steel nerd so I don’t know about all that.

Attached: 6474C0D9-AA40-409A-B16E-5CD32B53937D.jpg (4032x3024, 3.3M)

I have one of the M390 Kershaw Links. Not crazy about the aluminum scales or the assisted opening, but damn if it doesn't hold an edge.

Really like the g10 and compression lock on my pm2, but tfw blade play after 6 weeks of light use and autistic flicking.

>tanto
why

(agree with most everything else though)

TwoSun

amazon.com/TwoSun-Knives-Outdoot-Titanium-Folding/dp/B07848THRM

Benchmade 940 gets the most pocket time. Other than that I usually carry my Cold Steel Recon 1, Kershaw Cryo II or CQC-7K. Multitools not considered.

Lost an ultratech doing yard work the other day. Just got a new one. Now $600 into a knife. Meh.

Heavy use on my lost one and never an issue. Abused it in everything like I would a cheap Kershaw.

I like otf knives. Simple and easy and always carry one. Also always carry a pistol but the knife sees more use thank God. Only gripe about microtech ultratechs is they are about $200 too expensive.

ever consider chink clones for beater purposes? I'm looking at infidel clones rn

strongly disagree with
>simple and easy
even side-opening autos are significantly more robust imo, but whatever floats your boat

anybody ever try the cold steel ak47? impressions/opinions?

looks really good to me, I like the big handle, the thumb disc, and the thicc blade stock (relative to e.g. recon 1 and lawman), but I don't see a lot of people talking about it.

I tend to use benchmade the last 6 years.
They work really well for my line of work, and I'm pretty good about not losing stuff so they stick around a while.
I havent bought a new knife in over a year and probably won't go benchmade again after their whole debacle.

My biggest problem with getting microtechs is as I've gotten older I've realized the benefits of an auto dont outweigh the cons.
I live in a non-knife friendly state and getting caught with an auto is a serious offense.
If I ever had to use it even justifiably I'd be totally fucked legally.

Right on. I'm not a microtech fanboy or anything. I want one, but just to play with and I can't justify spending that much on a toy that only goes schick shick. I EDC a small fixed blade or no knife at all.

I carry a spyderco endura with a wave, a Sak, and a leatherman. I work in a kitchen and am forever opening and tearing down cardboard, fixing random equipment, taking shit apart, and prying shit.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.44M)

I EDC a leftie PM2 in s30v.

I'm not a steelfag and just follow Nick Shabazz's advice

youtube.com/watch?v=o_scXk2JAZc

I go between an emerson commander or ZT 0350 in my normal shorts, or a delica 4 in my basket ball shorts.

While they aren't hard-use knives, MT's are very capable.

I have not considered knock offs just because I dont like the idea of a spring loaded blade pointed at a major artery unless its quality. If they are safe enough I would not be opposed to one though. Thoughts? Is that a stupid concern?

Take the replaceable razor pill.

Attached: Workpro utility knife.jpg (1000x1000, 53K)

Sanrenmu knives are rather nice. I would call them about on par with a 'regular' folder. Then again I've never had a 300$ folder.

I'd say that's a fair concern if you carry in the front pocket. I'd probably trust the Vespa line, but that's definitely getting more expensive. Sanrenmu and Ganzo are fine, but neither one make an otf as far as I know.

Not that user but back pocket is scary too, what if it hits me in my boipucci?

I was thinking cargo pocket. Less anatomy in the way plus easier to get to if you have a backpack with a big ol hipbelt on. Or I guess chest-rig it. But yeah, this is part of the reason I think OTF is not a super practical choice for daily carry in general.

Victorinox all the way, looking forward to what I might find at the Mystic show this weekend!

The microtech will stop if it hits anything. It will still cut but wont fully deploy. I'm pretty sure the internal geometry wont let then deploy without the switch being hit as it requires a fair amount of force to deploy. My concern is the cheap shit ones may break in a way that sends them flying.

Attached: 09205151F925472A81AF91EC5C52DA3C.jpg (700x803, 117K)

Exactly this. Also, it takes a bit of force to fire the blade. The chances of a misfire are little-to-none.

But is a knockoff the same?

Attached: 20190423_183852.jpg (2880x2160, 2.2M)

I've heard the knockoffs are actually well made, but I wouldn't trust them. The fit and finish on the new MT's are amazing.

well OTF knives mostly rely on inertia to carry the blade far enough for the lock to engage. If it hits something along the way, it will stop. Of course, I wouldn't try stopping it with your eyeball, but a leg+pants ought to be enough.

Hihi, is a nipon flat ground aus8 model naifu-chan found for cheap. Theyre a good naifu with a good sheath and stab and utility pretty good. Naifu-chan has a few of them and use them as beater knives and to keep on EDC chest rig survival kit ^_^

Hihi, naifu-chan has ak47, recon-1 and ameirikan lawman. Naifu-chan never carries ak47, handle is a shit. Recon-1 is best of the 3, ameirikan lawman is most comfy to carry. Try handle it a bit before you buy ak47

interdasting, tyty

Uh
>takes knife out of pocket
Its a 940 in s30v.

Youre welcome friendo

my edc

Attached: model 1961.jpg (1280x646, 79K)

Not bad

Attached: 20190421_134709.jpg (4032x3024, 2.55M)

I'm knockoff Cypher MK7 user from above. Can confirm that my knife will derail if even a sheet of paper is held in front of it while deploying.

I wouldn't praise my knife for its quality alone, but for less than a tenth of the (ridiculous) price of a genuine Cypher, I'm very happy with it. The blade steel could be better, obviously, and the milled edges on the faces of the scales weren't broken, so they're a bit sharp. Not enough to actually cut yourself on, but probably enough to be uncomfortable if you fondle them roughly with soft little girly hands. Fit and finish is otherwise great, inside and out. If kept clean and lubricated properly it functions flawlessly.

I usually prefer a small EDC knife so I've carried a Lionsteel Mini in 440C for ages, but I've switched over to a Fox Tur in Elmax

Attached: Fox Tur.jpg (2048x1365, 339K)

Here's my carry for the last few days.

Attached: 20190421_112658.jpg (1825x3430, 3.31M)

That's an absolute favourite of mine, I've been carrying one for almost a year now.

Attached: IMG_20190311_103356_276.jpg (3120x4208, 1.72M)

just bought it today, very nice knife, everything what i like in knifes, ideal to the jeans pocket

Attached: 58679407_265364001008929_1158936773808619520_n.jpg (651x960, 61K)

I have actual training and nobody gives me any shit so I open carry this

coldsteel.com/italian-long-sword.html

>tip down carry

kys

You must be joking. Post pics

tip-up-tard gtfo

I don't want to post pics of myself but I got a leatherworker to help out with a belt and some support straps, and I don't even feel I'm wearing it.

And with the system I have it takes seconds to take off for driving.

why is that bad?

tip up is the macho style
tip down is military style

Well I practice stuff from sword fighting manuscripts and manuals. Which are written by military guys so...