Can the 7mm-08 fulfill all the roles of the 7.62 NATO?

Yeah what the subject asks. Can it do it? Should it do it? Why or why not.

Attached: photo-of-243-vs-308-vs-7mm-08-bullets-800x400.jpg (800x400, 46K)

I think it can.

Wow no one has a opinion on this?

Would be a better candidate for it than 6.5 mememoor if you insisted on going down a caliber, but still not worth the switch as-is. Should go for something hotter IMO. But 7mm would still be my preferred caliber.

> Can it do it?
Yeah, close enough. It's a little lower pressure and a little slower, but it has nice external ballistics because of the caliber. Any speciality bullet you can fit in a 7.62 you can fit in the 7mm so theres no problem there either.
>Should it do it? Why or why not.
If we did it all over again, or if all the ammunition and tooling for 7.62x51 magically disappeared? Maybe.
But the slight improvement isn't worth the change over

LOL 6.5 mememoor.

I like it's ballistics.

Could they make it a hotter round?

Would it be cheaper than going to a 6.5 creedmore?

No, get 6.5 Creedmoor. Or even .22 Creedmoor. Predator Hunters decided to stick the .224 Valkyrie 95gr bullet into a necked down 6mm Creedmoor, and it goes something like 3,100+ FPS - not bad. It's a "barrel burner" but you can just buy a new barrel for $300-600ish.

I like then too... For a shoulder rifle, with a range no further than 800m. GPMGs need more oomph to do their job well.

6.5 creedmore out of a machine gun would be objectively worse. DMRs are not the priority role you should be accounting for when selecting a rifle cartridge. Machine guns are more important than shoulder rifles.

I like that. 224 Valkyrie.

It loses out on some energy that the 7-08 has though.

That's why I present the 7mm-08 for a replacement. Has more up front energy and carries it better than the 7.62 at long range.

What makes the 7mm-08 superior to the 6.5 in machine guns?

Larger potential bullet mass which leads to better barrier penetration at range.

Larger surface area of the bullet contact with the bore which extends your barrel life.

It would not offer a big enough improvement to actually switch from what we have now. A much better question would be "will the MMG concept with .338NM completely replace LMGs?" because that has a real possibility of happening and is a similar idea.

Well external ballistics wise, 7mm-08 is the best performing short action non magnum rifle cartridge.
I guess terminal effectiveness is the real argument.
But 1.
The army has less and less need for anything bigger than 5.56.
2. For applications that they do want a .308, they probably aren't willing to shill out the cash to replace all that shit with a new caliber.

Cuckmores ballistics fall behind .260, and .260 can't even hold it's own to 7mm 08

>it(7mm08) is lower pressure
7.62 NATO - 60,191psi
7mm-08 - 61,000psi
7mm-08 175g@2595
7.62nato 175g@2624
So only 29fps faster @ muzzle for 7.62, and the 7mm bullet has a much higher B.C. if you bring the 7mm bullet weight down to the same B.C., the 7mm-08 will be moving faster than the 7.62

>The army has less and less need for anything bigger than 5.56.

Nigga the 240 is the most valuable small arm in a platoon.

Yeah, it's a great cartridge. Basically a modern 7x57.

But it would be too expensive to replace 7.62 NATO with.

youre thinking SAW is taken by a high capacity mag fed and lmg taken by the mmg? Like arma3?

I think the SAW would stay where it is and only have minor changes in overall function such as switching to 6.8 CT if it becomes everything the DOD wants it to be. I think upgrading to a 4500 ft/lb cartridge with an insane BC like .338NM will fill the LMG role well enough while covering its more glaring weaknesses and improving on the strengths.

6.5 Creedmoor is already a notorious barrel burner in semi rifles.

The firing schedule of a GPMG would roast barrels within a few thousand rounds.

Bullet tech when 7.62 NATO was adopted was not as advance as it is today and back then 7mm bullets were far behind .30 caliber bullets.

Today 6.5 Creedmoor is a better option.

Fuck it, go back to the good old days.
8mm Mauser

Attached: maxresdefault(2).jpg (1280x720, 186K)

You can get a faster twist barrel for a 22-250, sling the same bullet about the same velocity and not have to put up with only being able to shoot your wildcat handloads.

No.
Ball ammunition would be equivalent, or possibly ballistically improved.
But 7.62mm Tracer has to have internal room for enough composition to burn to 1100metres for MG use and still have enough weight remaining to stil be approximately ballistically matched with the ball ammo.

Attached: images (67).jpg (679x451, 38K)

>pressure
Ah whoops I was thinking about .308 which is pegged at 62,000 by SAAMI.
But my point still stands. Close enough, with nicer external ballistics.
Theres a lot more to trajectory matching than bullet weight. Almost all the work is done in the loading

What's the best "combat approved" bullet grain for .243?

what does he mean by this

This is the right answer.
>1200 rpm
>3100 fps
>0 survivors

Attached: 1529800504959.jpg (498x670, 108K)