Watch any video of some aged Japanese sword """master"""

>watch any video of some aged Japanese sword """master"""
>does some basic movements with brief pauses pretending to be focused or some bs
>screams like a retard when showing off a strike, isn't even fast
>hordes of comments about how this is a true master who has spent years honing their skill
What a delusional waste of time. It's not even practical in any situation. At least kung fu looks cool.

Attached: 63B2ACA6-CCB0-4758-B36C-A61F6B2A299B.jpg (320x240, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0MtWtPEbTb0
youtube.com/watch?v=Fhq6pxYKM4c
videosift.com/video/Cute-Japanese-Girl-Wielding-a-Katana
youtube.com/watch?v=se6gHF5zh-g
youtube.com/watch?v=nHa9KUSCn3s
youtu.be/HxFgSmR0i3A
youtube.com/watch?v=Aph3l-bt5Dk
youtube.com/watch?v=mRfQjj8ltEg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cool blog, m8

True, but unleashing ones power is sometimes difficult for vain purposes, such as: being filmed for youtube. If one is in the wrong frame of mind and makes a mistake, one could do serious damage to himself

Post link, jackass.

Studies in Japan for a year exchange. I did martial arts before and participated in their activities. Can confirm that most is only a lot of bullshitto made to look sugoi. Japs, after all, are also just asians. And Asians have a need for face.

Welcome to traditional martial arts. It's all just a bunch romanticizing stuff that is hardly realistic.

>spend decades mastering your sword
>get killed in fifteen seconds by turbochad and his spear who has never practiced in his life.

Do you even Mikiri Counter?

You mean the CARLOS Portugese sailor and his bud Wilhelm VanChaad rapiering people so much laws had to be passed?

youtube.com/watch?v=0MtWtPEbTb0

bruh, you're from the richest place on earth
you think they're delusional?
buy a pair of wooden katanas and take a trip to jap land and start challenging random swordmasters to duels and shit, see how it works out for you

Does this post happen to be in anyway related to salt because you got killed in Sekiro again?

Anyways if you want to actually make something out of this pointless thread its because showing form became some retarded ritual because Japanese honor culture.

Samurai means something along the lines of "those who serve in close attendance to the nobility" and this guy bows three times, kneels twice, presents his sword, polishes the saya with his hands, and kisses the sword twice before even drawing it because its a boot kissing ritual towards a lord.

Someone post the cute Jap girl gif

Imagine a youtube channel like this. Just some fucking neckbeard or skellington with no training going around japan getting his ass handed to him continually. That would be fucking great.

Screaming is alpha af. If you're not screaming in battle, you're a little bitch.

Sane reason you scream when doing bayonet drill, in fairness to the weebs the ritualised dances called kata used to practise and demonstrate basic skills, blocks, strikes etc make a point if demanding exadgerated breathing for the point if an examiner observing. The stike is frequently deivered with a loud shout as it assists with the locking if the lower abdomen muscles and the exhale on delivery. Any study if good shooting, archery, boxing, fencing, comes down to correct muscle technique abd breathing. Also OP is a faggit for making be type this. I hold black belts in judo, shotocan, have shot olympuc qualifiers in FITA, was on a national fencing squad and my boxing record was 8 wins, 1 KO 1 loss

10/10 would watch.

Read that as a black belt in shotacon.

Attached: 1529545106298.jpg (600x474, 43K)

DO IT

Not quite what you asked for, but perhaps it'll be welcome regardless: youtube.com/watch?v=Fhq6pxYKM4c

Attached: kashira.gif (224x431, 68K)

Cute!

Attached: warface len.png (777x812, 1.39M)

Samurai during the Edo period were mostly bureaucrats, there really isn't supposed to be anything practical about this because its just a hobby. Not much use for learning practical swordsmanship during a peace that lasted over 200 years, so they made it a more ceremonial tradition.

Would've been great if it looked flashy at least.

> commenting on your own post

Cool story samefag

What?

If it looked too flashy it wouldn't have been appealing to most of the samurai who occupied the highest rungs of society.

This one?
videosift.com/video/Cute-Japanese-Girl-Wielding-a-Katana

>> commenting on your own post
Embedded version
youtube.com/watch?v=se6gHF5zh-g

The styles they learned and developped style ended being plenty practical as they realized in the bakumatsu era.
Considering there was plenty local repressions during the edo era, they certainly didn't considered swordsmanship "a ceremonial tradition", not any less than what fencing was in the 18th c. in Europe. It was perhaps overly sophisticated, but people were still killing themselves with those skills everywhere.

Yes I bought that.

Testing

Wasn't really sure what to call it other than a ceremonial tradition, they weren't really warriors anymore but still wanted to retain that as part of a modern identity regardless of how much use they'd get out of it. Didn't know they played a role near the end of the Edo period though, I thought that was mostly the work of lower ranking samurai who really didn't make much of the more sophisticated swordsman ship like in the video.

A good number of the schools surviving today werne't really aimed at, or patronized by the higher ups. Maniwa Nen Ryu is the school of a small village, Katori Shinto Ryu makes a point of never having been subservient to any daimyo or such. Araki Ryu spread like a weed and officially places survival over any concept of honour, happily including kata for outright assassination of someone you're treating as an honoured guest. I suspect the bigwigs may often have been trained outside of the koryu system as well, you get a reliable veteran within the clan to show the kid the ropes instead of having him hang out with a bunch of ruffians who may give him strange ideas about his loyalties, though some ryu were given official status as official house schools of various clans as well.
This somewhat muddled picture goes for a lot of other aspects as well. Different schools have aimed at different things through the years. Actual battlefield skills, civilian self defence, duelling, looking cool during exhibitions, sport fencing precursors to modern day kendo or simply selling certificates to samurai who got a salary increase for having them. And a school can have had a number of goals all at once, changing over the years. Then there's the kata, which may contain proper technique at the proper speed, may contain exaggerated techniques at slow speed to be clearer about what you're doing, may hide techniques they want to teach but be subtle about it, can include some bits simply to train breathing technique, or managing distance, or put a bit of more cardio-like training in the middle of things, and so on. The same kata may then be changed in speed, intensity etc to fulfil different goals (and for public exhibitions odds are they'll do the slow and clean version, not youtube.com/watch?v=nHa9KUSCn3s ), then as we watch someone in his eighties do the kata there's always the question of what parts of the execution is because his body just can't do it any more.

Attached: 1622360_10152622822584003_327879451618238766_o.jpg (1118x697, 254K)

Attached: 1481348132913.webm (480x360, 2.88M)

>I thought that was mostly the work of lower ranking samurai who really didn't make much of the more sophisticated swordsman ship like in the video.
The style they learned like Tennen Rishin-ryu, Kyoshin Meichi-ryu, Shindo Munen-ryu, Hokushin Itto-ryu or worse... Jikishinkage-ryu are all plenty sophisticated, yet they were also widespread.
The "style in the video" (I assume it's the black and white TSKSR video) was one of the few from the Sengoku-jidai that was ok teaching non samurai or at least lower end samurai with the whole curriculum.

All of them are heavy on the ceremonial stuff because it's a way to control and preserve every warriors "face", to learn how to conduct yourself in a society were everyone can demand for a duel to the death right here and now. In these kind of very martial culture, you learn how to be ceremonial in order not to offend anyone.

That's one of the differences between Japan and Europe. In the later, the warrior nobility was something like less than 1%, in japan, samurai accounted to something like 8-10% of the society.

Yeah you're right.
And everyone on Jow Forums already knows eastern "martial arts" are worthless, the only people who dissent on that opinion are underagers and Trolls

>was one of the few from the Sengoku-jidai that was ok teaching non samurai or at least lower end samurai with the whole curriculum.

I suppose they got a lot of business considering how many samurai they went through in those days.

Well it's one of the big three original styles and the oldest lineage still kicking so...

>learns martial arts culture is largely posturing and circle jerking

I remember my first beer.

its a cultural thing. certainly lame in your paradigm. when it comes to cultural differences, especially with whites, one will either get it, or will never understand, you are the latter. its ok your kind is on its way out.

>tfw no genki katana gf

Attached: 1552066017700.jpg (1280x591, 59K)

op probably goes to the gun range shoots 3 shots fast at a target 25ft away, pulls his gun to his chest and then turns his head all the way to the left then right before repeating.

>Not doing nutnfancy drills
It's like you want to live past the first 24hrs of shtf

Bullshit, lemme see him shoot off a kamehameha. That's real martial arts.

Attached: Dragon Ball Z Kai - Goku Kaioken x20 Kamehameha [720p HD] (720p_30fps_H264-152kbit_AAC).webm (1280x720, 2.92M)

When will this meme die? A sword and shield is superior for dueling compared to a spear. Sure Spears have reach but they are also easily parried and fairly unwieldy.

The Dutch and Portuguese would kill samurai in street fights with rapiers so much the Japanese tried to ban them/made new swords to try and fight them if I remember correctly.

That fucking faggot Sootch00 on YouTube does that shit. I hate that annoying fucking fudd faggot but sometimes he looks at interesting guns, but I fucking hate how he shoots. He looks like he's just trying WAY too hard

Why do faggots do that shit? I really don't get it

said the nerd whos never fought with a spear. you are objectively wrong, a spear truly lacks when its not one on one. two or three guys with a sword will beat a spear. HEMA has really ruined peoples perception of combat because its focused of fun and fairness. the truth is a fair fight is the one you lost.

This.

That is why I laugh when people say, 'Take up Kali Bro, it helps when you are unarmed.' Its their fault for not bringing enough bullets.

>mcdojos even existed in feudal Japan

Real life is truly stranger than fiction

More shot a commie but yeah, phoneposting while sitting on a windowledge watching life pass undeneath.

youtu.be/HxFgSmR0i3A

Note screaming

>kicks your mags out of your hands
Ok smart guy

*kicks your feet off*

>backflips
Me on my feet again, you no gun and no mags

>fucking shoots you for posing a threat

Martial arts is fucking retarded

sure, I'll take my full plate, sparing long sword and buckler and take any of the "masters" on

>HEMA ruined people's perception of combat

Yeah, it was way better when everyone thought longsword were 30 lbs and katanas could cut through plate armour. Let's also forget about the fact that Spears and poleaxe are in HEMA as well.

Ok but you can't shoot if you don't have your mags

gay
Try screams insanely and stabs repestedly in face with bayonet causing mags to be dropped. Waving your feet in the air is stage fighting, even in something like shotokan its how you loose. Before some wanker starts with MMA most of it is stage fighting, the televised drama stuff anyway. Floor sweeps are the best use of the feet and are limited in use if you have a big bloke in boots, the very basic throws in jodo are way more practical.You can tell shitty fake martial arts by the amout of air foot waggling in them.

shut up fag

>not having backup sawn off shotgun in your pants

Cant kick a mag if there is no mag.

You're still upset over that thread you made

>implying you don't already have a mag in the gun

I know you're just baiting but you need to step your bait game up, user. It's too obvious

hema is for lotr fans to unfit to fence and people who like beating nerds like skallgrim to the ground with blunt metal sticks +quite fun) and getting banned for being dangerous and making them cry (which is against hema rules which is why it is shit)

Wrong user? I never start threads. Just a low motivation kommando

>you are now standing on fleshy stumps, because you cannot read
Well you have good balance, anyway.

he's an old man demonstrating forms, he's not in a fight. It's the fluidity that he's demonstrating and proper form. It's easy to see how these techniques would be valid even if sped up by several times.

Effectively, this is an instructional reference video - not a demonstration of some gimmick You're retarded if you don't recognize that.

My longsword coach was a competitor in sport saber for 20 years before teaching hema. I got my start as a foilist. If anyone here is unathletic it's probably you, fag.

>Before some wanker starts with MMA most of it is stage fighting, the televised drama stuff anyway.
I'll be that wanker. Have you ever been kicked in the leg? Shit is not fun. Much of what you see in MMA is somewhat theatrical but the basics are still solid and those guys are some stellar athletes, feel free to hop into a gym if you feel otherwise, and you'll find some good athletes there. Any gym worth its salt will teach a variety of things that culminate in an MMA specific class. Meaning BJJ, boxing, muay thai, etc. Will it make you an unstoppable killing machine? No. Will it help you not get your ass kicked? Yes.

>Floor sweeps are the best use of the feet and are limited in use if you have a big bloke in boots, the very basic throws in jodo are way more practical.
Foot sweeps are not dependent on whether or not the guy is bigger and wearing boots, it's dependent on the timing. Same with throws, they are situationally dependent and the timing is critical. The best judokas are all good at timing and they drill it day after day.
youtube.com/watch?v=Aph3l-bt5Dk
Look at thow they sweep the foot in some of these. It throws the weight of the opponent off balance and puts the dude right into the dirt. Same can be said for other throws, if you have the opening and time it right you'll send a dude flying. All of these arts are a participatory physics equation. This takes time and practice to get good at. If you really need to get someone to the ground and don't have a lot of time you should learn how to do a double leg or single leg takedown. The mechanics behind it are fantastic and are proven.

>tl;dr; don't fuck with a dude with cauliflower ear, gnarly looking hands, or both

Attached: 303240242.jpg (567x544, 76K)

That particular art dates before the Edo period, and most Edo period arts were meant to be practical. Challengers were a thing. and towards the end of the period you had something like a proto-mma scene involving jujutsu and kenjutsu developing.

In there heyday, Hema had kata as well, though they were called something else.

Yes he was quite old in that video. he moves well for a man his age. He was actually a judo guy as a young man and started training that sword style from guest instructors at the Kodokan

Pretty accurate.

No, they were a rural style for most of their history, practiced by families in the area of the Katori shrine and a few other places. In there early history though they had many famous students who went onto found their own styles.

today they are famous because the last generation produced several famous swordsman like Sugino and Otake Risuke.
youtube.com/watch?v=mRfQjj8ltEg

The fact is that unless a school was sponsored by a domain they usually had to teach commoners to stay in business. It was not just samurai who were allowed to use swords,that is a misconception,and many people did so even if they were not technically allowed to.