I'd like to know in terms of classification and identification on the battlefield is it more practical to have a...

I'd like to know in terms of classification and identification on the battlefield is it more practical to have a specialized unit such as a medic in full white rather than the traditional greens?

In which case how does one deal with the problem of snipers picking off troopers in uniforms different from your own? eg. leadership, medical, heavy weapons and so on.

Attached: 1556008288500.jpg (564x675, 51K)

Civilized countries *might* avoid pumping your medic full of lead. No civilized countries have "civilized" wars directly between each other these days, so marking your "I keep everyone alive" guy with a bright white uniform is asking to have his brains blown out first, or at least third behind squad leader and explosive weapons.

Also, most medics also act as combat troops if they’re attached to infantry. If they have a weapon, they’re fair game.

Armed medics are only armed as a technicality anyway. Their gun is "officially" for them to defend themselves and the wounded people they are patching up. This is taken advantage of by all militaries to give their medic a gun even though medics shouldn't need a gun.

Medics have been combatants since after World War One. Indirect fire and machine gun crews engage at such large distances that it's often impossible to tell if your target has a red cross or not. Maneuver warfare means that medics can't stay in the rear and clean up after engagements either.

>This is taken advantage of by all militaries to give their medic a gun even though medics shouldn't need a gun.
Can a medic refuse a firearm?

There was that one guy who was a pacifist that did in WWII. I doubt you’d be able to get away with that now, though.

Man, I love me some concept art but sometime artists are just plain fucking retarded.

people always shit on medics in games for being pussies but I'm sure it's much more frightening if you're actually out there

No point in refusing the gun.

As mentioned, the gun is officially for them to defend themselves, it is legal by technicality.
At long ranges and in the heat of combat people just can't see the red cross on them
Giving them distinctive uniform like OP suggested ruins any camouflage the medics have if they were deployed with infantry. Any sort of maneuver warfare would require the medics to keep up and so keeping your medic behind is not a solution either.

Medics is in a really weird zone with regards to Geneva and practicality for war so everyone just arms their medics using the self-defence reason and be done with it.

>Armed medics are only armed as a technicality anyway
No. They're just as much combat personnel when deployed on the squad level and actively armed. Only medical personnel on higher levels, in medical or support companies will tend to function as medical personnel, wearing the cross and all.

>I doubt you’d be able to get away with that now, though.
Not in professional militaries, but in conscript ones sure. Had a guy in my unit doing unarmed service as a medic when I was in the FDF.

Combat medics and medics are slightly different but still covered under the medic law iirc.

Combat medics are usually shooting at the enemy together with their infantry buddies anyway so you're free to shoot at enemy combat medics.

>Combat medics and medics are slightly different
They're the same thing most often, but depending on the unit will act differently.
>but still covered under the medic law iirc.
Yeah, all are covered by the Geneva convention, but combat medics, especially in countries where they're doctrinally armed and fighting, will not wear the red cross identifying them as protected.

Attached: 1530024192069.jpg (3015x2480, 2.3M)

>Chapter IV, Article 25 of the Geneva Convention states that: "Members of thearmed forcesspecially trained for employment, should the need arise, as hospital orderlies, nurses or auxiliary stretcher-bearers, in the search for or the collection, transport or treatment of the wounded and sick shall likewise be respected and protected if they are carrying out these duties at the time when they come into contact with the enemy or fall into his hands."

>In modern times, most combat medics carry a personal weapon, to be used to protect themselves and the wounded or sick in their care. During World War II, for example, medics serving the European and Mediterranean areas usually carried the M1911A1 pistol while those serving the Pacific theater carried pistols or M1 carbines.When and if they use their arms offensively, they then sacrifice their protection under the Geneva Conventions

Wouldn’t any medical personnel accompanying an offensive action be acting as a combat medic?

Combat medics are usually attached to combat units and deploy together with said combatants.

Right, so like corpsmen or combat lifesavers, right? Is there a level of medical personnel between that and field hospital staff?

What about Chaplains? How do they fit into the Geneva Convention? Can they still serve on the front line?

>Is there a level of medical personnel between that and field hospital staff?
Medics function as hospital staff as well, working under physicians etc. with actual degrees.

>Chaplains
I don't think they've got a modern use, Do they carry weapons>?

That makes sense. Pretty much my only (poor) knowledge of military medicine comes from MASH, so I always just assumed it was mostly commissioned nurses and surgeons with enlisted admin and support staff.

We have them in the British Army, there are Jewish, Christian, Muslim, and Sikh Chaplains. They occasionally have a sidearm but I have never heard of them on any patrol or combat duties. I wonder if they would be allowed to if they wanted.

Not sure a bout other countries but the first to treat a person is their team with first aid (usually have a few people who are advanced first aiders kicking around), casualty is then backloaded to or by HQ where the combat medics are in their own vehicle to transport them to a hospital if need be.
Medics shouldn't be on the battlefield at all.

Got the same in Aus, had a funny convo earlier today

>Wouldn't it be funny if we had satanic chaplains since we basically allow all religions?
>We already do mate, they're called rabbis

Attached: 1553430642218.png (864x722, 264K)

In the US, there's a medic attached to each platoon, then 1-3 higher ranked medics at the company and battalion levels who consolidate and evac casualties. The first doctors are usually at brigade+.

Realistically how many casualties can an average, say battalion suffer before the hospitals available to it are overloaded? What happens if that occurs, are soldiers just triaged with the worst left to die?

>Goggles on helmet and already on the eyes
>Construction type gasmask
That artwork triggers me.

>Realistically how many casualties can an average, say battalion suffer before the hospitals available to it are overloaded

Depends on where they are. In Iraq 2006, probably infinite, because everyone was evac'd to a FOB in the first hour, and from there to a full first-world hospital with infinite support in Germany before the end of the day.

>are soldiers just triaged with the worst left to die
In a textbook conventional war, triage is assumed from the start, with dozens to hundreds of wounded at BN level. And in a conventional war, battalions themselves will be getting annihilated right and left.

Lel