Hey idiot from /ck/ here wondering how to get into hunting

what the title says, im just a fucking faggot who's never hunted before and i was wondering how to start and what to start hunting. i kinda like fishing and the idea of catching what you eat seems like fun! also it would be nice to surprise my family with some home cooked ribs sometime
>pic related its some deer ribs that look super tasty!

Attached: ribs.jpg (655x487, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_hunting_license.aspx
wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/roadkill-salvage
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Unless you have someone with prior experience it will be wayyy too difficult imo. I'm no teacher so only tip I'd have if you think you have the willpower is to watch videos on youtube about hunting tips

Do you have guns? Where do you live? Also deer/moose ribs are garbage, don't bother. Boar might be good tho, haven't tried.

Ask around your local DNR office.

nah most of my family is very much a fishing and boating sort
nope but i have wanted wanted one! maryland the old line and home to the chimp riots! and boar ribs sound even better!
thats probably something i should do thanks user!

buy a wasr

154gr soft point ammo will take anything under 165lbs

I can give you 2 pieces of good advice.
1. Make friends with someone who hunts
2. Start small. Most of the huntfags have the advantage of starting at a very young age. There is little field craft shit that is going to be very hard to pick up on, at the very young age they started small. Trying to buy a deer rifle, get all of the shit, figure out where to go, and kill a deer all by yourself without any prior knowledge or experience is going to be next to impossible. So what I am saying is buy either a reasonably priced gas piston .22 cal air rifle like a benjamin summit or a simple shotgun like a remington 870 or a mossberg 500 and practice your ass off with them until you achieve some level of practical proficiency. THEN start small, rabbits, squirrel, dove, pigeons etc. The time spent in the woods will begin to build the fundamentals you need to hunt other things, and try to make some friends along the way. To hunt those species I mentioned takes very little ancillary support or equipment. Also become very well versed in the laws and regulations for your area and follow them exactly otherwise you will get assraped by a GW, I'm sure you know this from fishing. Think of fishing as trapping, unless your using a spear, because thats what it is.
Good luck user.

This guy is pushing you the right direction. Experienced hunters will be the best sources of how to move both in traveling and just when sitting, when to go and leave, and where to look for.
I like to take city friends out sometimes and the most common things I see struggle on
>walking quietly
dont step on sticks, avoid crunchy leaves, dont touch twigs or dead trees that might fall and spook animals
>jerky movements
while sitting in wait scanning or if an animal might see you, slow your movements. Especially your head. It should take no sooner than 3 seconds to fully pivot your head 180degrees.
>shut up
get all talking done before going out. If you have to, whisper.
>vision
People who are obsessed with hunting have a way of being able to distinguish between things in the environment. They can more easily see the shapes of animals through natural cover (colors are less distinguishing), the movements theyd make, and where theyre most likely to be after theyve moved. If you struggle even finding things in the beginning, it's not because you suck, you will start to get good with time and it stays with you.

Also, different styles of hunting are only useful in certain environments. A lot of the glass and stalk hunting is impossible in the east.
Varminting and bird hunting will likely get you gratification sooner than more difficult big game so definitely start there.

>grab rifle
>Go innawoods

>stomps around like an idiot in the brush for 6 hours without seeing more than a bird

op here!
thats a ton of good advice and thinking about fishing as trapping makes a bit more sense though im confused on why you would take a shotgun instead of a rifle? sorry im still new to guns and weapons
so just dont be a loud cunt and look closely?

>so just dont be a loud cunt and look closely
yee, basically, and watching hunting videos relevant to what youll be after and where youll be after them is helpful.
watch that head pivot, dont jerk your head and keep reminding yourself not to.

>so just dont be a loud cunt

Honestly, that's a good rule in general.

I know nothing about Maryland hunting laws, but get those checked out and buy one of these
>old 308. tikka, preferably one that was made before 1983 but not a bid deal if u cant find one
>10/22, used or new
>any double barrel over/under 12ga shotgun

Pick one according to what you're going to start hunting. Then find somebody in your area who already hunts and ask them to take you along some time. Joining a hunting club might be a good idea, I'm not so sure how those operate up there.
Hunting is quite a social hobby these days and the best way to get into it is by having somebody to do it with.

Bigger is better. Try to get a .338 Lapua Magnum and buy Berger 300gr Elite Hunter Ammo.
You can shoot every game you see, thats impossible with a small calibre !

Attached: 48lbsDeer04.24.2018.jpg (661x476, 147K)

>so just dont be a loud cunt and look closely?
pretty much

Have a friend take you out with them to show you the ropes.

Also be sure to follow your states game/fish laws, because conservation is important and the game warden will ream you

What are you, stupid?

>charred to absolute shit, very little meat and seasoned with Aldi tier seasonings.
Yeah sure looks good

That is a good start on hunting and fishing, not being a loud cunt is also something more people should try to be. I would watch Youtube videos/read articles as well as talking to experienced hunters if you can, nothing wrong with learning about something you never did before and it would be best to get good habits started early. It can be a little overwhelming and pricey in the beginning, but new blood in the hunting scene is always welcomed. As for weapons/ammunition it all depends on what and where you are hunting.

double barrels are expensive, pump action is a lot cheaper, and you can get em for like 2-300 bucks and still be pretty good
if you have no money and really want a double barrel though, get a stevens 311 or something

you don't need a rifle to kill most things that you will hunt except for large mammals. Its much easier to shoot a rabbit or squirrel or bird with a shotgun. The air rifle(pellet gun) is a good learning tool for fundamentals and relatively cheap to buy, cheap to shoot (practice), and you can be slightly edgier with a quiet air rifle than a regular rifle but still kill small game. I killed my first rabbit with a shitty pump up air rifle, its how you into shooting animals. A shotgun very versatile and can shoot just about anything from 3oz birds to hogs with the right loads and skill. You're going to have to into guns a bit.

>Maryland
user Im sorry, but you’re going to learn today why Virginia is truly superior.
As for guns, a .308 rifle is fine. A 30-06 will work for most.

Maryland actually has apprentice licenses for new hunters. Here is the website to read a little on

dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_hunting_license.aspx

Oh, why Virginia is superior, we get your food, southern food, and much better gun laws.

TLDR the message of what I am trying to say is basically this.

Want to learn to hunt:
>think of yourself as a newfag hunting kid
>start doing kid tier hunting activities
>buy pellet gun shipped to your door
>learn to shoot it
>start shooting things with it
>advance to bigger and better things with the skillset and knowledge youve developed

Oy, you got a loicense to learn m8?

Kek, but that’s Maryland for you. If you can’t get a license for it, they will still tax it anyway.

Also, seconding a 12GA shotgun as well if you want more versatility

Double barrels are better for beginners. The difference in price is negligible. Also if you accidentally buy a shitty double barrel its not a big problem but with a pump you bight as use it as a club.

I was just looking up my state.
Is a license to "salvage" motherducking roadkill normal?

wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/roadkill-salvage

I have not heard of needing a license to do that. Most people really don’t care and I would not expect needing a license to do that.

However, I really suggest you make sure the meat is safe. Road kill can sit there for days before you’d notice it.

Price varies and you can swap smoothbore for rifles barrels on pumps. A pump was my second gun being completely new to guns. There is a lot of helpful stuff for Mossbergs these days

Just curious, seems excessively nannystate.

It does, it’s just nobody really cares enough about roadkill round here. So if you want it, take it by all means.

Only issue would be is if someone claimed you killed it out of season off your property, but they can’t prove shit.