Hey Jow Forumsommandoes! I wasn't sure whether to post this in Jow Forums or here...

Hey Jow Forumsommandoes! I wasn't sure whether to post this in Jow Forums or here, but since this is a military-related question I thought I'd ask here. Do any of you know of any good books or articles on the use of drones in combat, especially in recent conflicts like the war in Syria? Also, if I wanted to become a drone pilot for the US military, what skills should I work on acquiring and what would the process be to get such a position? Thanks for your time!

Attached: droneposter.png (429x410, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a27511/russia-drone-thermite-grenade-ukraine-ammo/
droneshield.com/isis-dropping-grenades-from-drones#
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>what skills

Get a pilot's license.

Get a plane ticket

That sounds like a good idea, though I am wondering, are there any ground-based drones? I've heard on the news that some countries use little robots with wheels and treads as part of their rescue services and I was wondering if the U.S military had any of those I could learn to pilot.

>Syria
While Syria is interesting, a lot more interesting study is how russians use drones in Ukraine. They destroyed a shitton of Ukrainian armor in under 10 min during one battle. It was all due to drones. You can find links to incident online.

Don't be stupid.

Whoah, seriously? I never knew that. Do the Ukrainians have any drones on their side as well, or only the Russians?

just russians. American generals pissed their pants after that too.

>American Generals
>Ukraine

At least keep your retardation straight

who do you think advises Ukrainians? who do you think studies that conflict more than anyone?
also,. you seem to be too retarded to even do a google search and read some op-eds from US generals on this.
anyway, go away you sub 90 IQ shithead.

Attached: 1525852949133.jpg (800x450, 44K)

God you and that other guy sound like insufferable pricks.

Somehow not only did this event that you haven't sourced happened, but you know what people felt about it?

Post a single op-ed from a US General, I'll wait.

and you sound like a buttmad nigger who can't even conjugate verbs
why don't you search for it yourself, you 2-brain-celled troglodyte?

Go to the country

>just russians

What kind of weird vatnikism is this? Ten seconds shows Ukraine has drones.

Attached: 550_800_crop__p0fy7y_c1f8ed416880fd9abfa8170bd472d3ce.jpg (770x447, 76K)

Searched for it, it didn't exist. You're a liar.

Well, a quick search shows Ukraine has drones too so you're probably wrong about the other stuff too

Attached: Antonov Horlytsya.jpg (2000x1333, 423K)

You don't learn to be a pilot before you join the air force you idiot

That reminds me, drones are mainly with the air force, right? Or do the other branches use them too? Are there anything like unmanned submarines or boats, for instance?

The Army uses small drones, but small drones require the operator to actually be out in the field. And that defeats the point of being a drone pilot (have the most cushy job for the least amount of work) The Navy operates large, land-based drones like the Air Force, but they fly ocean patrol, which is boring as fuck. The Coast Guard may operate some drones in the same manner as the navy, and the Marines don't have any (they blew the budget on crayons).

you made a couple of mistakes. the marines blew their money on R&D for dildo bayonets, crayons, and the rest on trying to create a imperial guard film, but then had to cancel it due to the fact the cast were acting too suicidal.

Ah, my mistake, I forgot that the marines have a budget set aside for crayons.

That's pretty cool. So is there a difference between small drones and large drones? Like, why do small ones need you to be closer by than large drones? Pardon my ignorance, I don't know much about drones, which is why I'm trying to learn. Are there any good books about drone technology in general (even outside of a military context) you'd recommend?

Private Pilot's License DEFINITELY helps your application actually.
>t. OTS pilot select

How would I get a private pilot's license? Is going to flight school like going to college, i.e I'll need stuff like SAT scores and all that, or is there a different procedure?

All you need is $ or credit cards or loans.

Radio range.

Giant drones (reaper, global hawk): radio base station > satellite > drone.
Medium (shadow): radio base station > drone, so they're limited by (basically infinite) LOS/bounce.
Small (raven, quadcopter): hand type radio > drone, so LOS & power are both limits.

the army uses gray eagles (upgraded predators) and shadows.

Ah, I see. Thanks guys.

OP here, do you have any links to those op-eds or at least names I can search? Like I said I'm looking for good articles and books on drone warfare as well.

Just saying that Ukraine does have drones. Not high tech ones like American predator. They mostly use DIY drones that drop IED-s and grenades, phantoms for recon and some UAV-s (They have some Latvian Penguin C-s i think) for longer recon missions, nothing too fancy but gets the job done.

Some fun stories/links:
popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/news/a27511/russia-drone-thermite-grenade-ukraine-ammo/

droneshield.com/isis-dropping-grenades-from-drones# (now this is a fun one)

Awesome, thanks so much!