Does wooden furniture have any advantage or is it just for aesthetic?

Does wooden furniture have any advantage or is it just for aesthetic?

Attached: D82A68DB-EE04-4092-AB8B-6990B635A4BA.jpg (960x540, 133K)

Just for looking goddamn good, man-made materials are better in every other way. Although, having said that, I would take a wooden stock, well made and fitted, from a piece of timber with good grain and properties that has been well seasoned over some of the worst budget injection molded plastic stocks as far as durability and fitness for purpose goes.

Looks great but adds an additional 2 lb.

Attached: 1548098574472.jpg (5312x2988, 2.25M)

>aesthetic

Attached: 28bd39c1-3308-4c60-a40e-016cf48fa73f.png (970x546, 339K)

what you call weight I call "dynamic recoil mitigation"

Synthetic stocks are better in any objective measure. It's just looks, and granted, wood does look nice.

>Lighter
>Don't warp
>Not sensitive to oils/ solvents
>Stronger
>Cheaper
>Can be cast - meaning much cheaper complex shapes
>Can be made to have moving parts and adjustment easily

Attached: 458694589.jpg (1280x635, 392K)

It almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

It's not as likely to break if you use it to cave someones skull in

Not true desu, plastic is less rigid and more likely to survive a strong impact.

Ive heard something where a wooden foregrip doesnt transfer heat from the barrel as well but idk if thats bullshit or not

Attached: 1510944302597.png (494x559, 167K)

I could believe that, but I doubt it would make a huge difference.

why didn't they give it any lightening holes?

Aesthetics are reason enough.

Attached: FF74CEBC-1E69-4F8D-9727-D27A53F70E16.jpg (750x680, 442K)

Hypothetically, timber could be easier to obtain than plastics in war time for some countries, but that’s about it.

Yeah but that makes it worse for caving in a skull, because the flex of the material absorbs impact.

Attached: ff.jpg (590x826, 51K)

All black polymer shit should be replaced with bakelite

Attached: 1510605277385.jpg (3072x2048, 507K)

Wood, being comprised of water, has some hydraulic recoil mitigation. There are noticable (but not great) differences in felt recoil between wood and polymer stocks on the same gun. My 10/22 went from no recoil on my face to unit level of recoil after putting it in a Magpul stock. Their stocks on AKs have give users bruises on their faces. My boss has one and came in with what looked like a black eye one day.

>advantage
look good, feel good

Attached: yeee.jpg (1200x1271, 193K)

As we all know, wood grows. If you're shooting your gun and the wood breaks, just stick it in your backyard and make sure to water it well.

The stocks were wood because it is less expensive than metal when guns were invented.

On the front bit, gun barrels get fucking hot. It's inexpensive insulation to protect your dumb ass from getting burned.

On the grip, same as the stock.

Made my SP1 nicer to shoot. made it comfy by being slightly heavier and reduced the sproing

Attached: Snapchat-681020680.jpg (2688x1398, 1.3M)

SPROING can also be reduced with some different buffers.

A E S T H E T I C S

Why are you using your face to shoot a rifle?

There is *literally* nothing wrong with wood grips on a handgun.
The weight is negligible unless you're making a racegun, but who cares about looks for raceguns?
Heavy metal 3 gunners.

Wood looks nice, it's easier to repair damage, and it's easy to make one-offs or custom stocks/grips without having to spend massive amounts of money on new dies for molding polymer or stamping metal.

Polymer or other modern materials is cheaper for mass production and doesn't have any problems with warping or cracking due to weather, humidity, etc.

fpbp, especially:
>> I would take a wooden stock, well made and fitted, from a piece of timber with good grain and properties that has been well seasoned over some of the worst budget injection molded plastic stocks as far as durability and fitness for purpose goes.

cheap plastic sucks ass. Otherwise I have no problem with it.

Why aren't you? Have you ever heard of cheek weld?

A wood stock on a shotgun is always better.

>10/22
>ak
>recoil

>I don’t know the difference between static and dynamic
The Post

one practical advantage wood has is wood is better for making something in a limited situation. if you choose to make the furniture yourself and just for yourself, simply carving and staining wood is quicker, easier, and requires less tools then injection molding. 3d printing will probably change that but still relies on more expensive and complex tools

i hate those finger grooves.
why dont they just make a wood A2 grip and be done with it?