Other urls found in this thread:

khm.at/en/visit/collections/imperial-armoury/
royalarmouries.org/venue/royal-armouries-museum/
musee-armee.fr/en/english-version.html
hermitagemuseum.org
museostibbert.it/en/page/collections
twitter.com/AnonBabble

In the US, 2 places come to mind.

1. National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. Over 150 aircraft, lovingly restored and open for the public to oggle and touch. The tour guides even encourage it. Has an amazing amount of rare craft, including one of the few surviving Japanese Zeros. Also, it's free and near one of the best beaches in Florida.

2. Patriots Point in Charleston, South Carolina. This is really the best one in my opinion. There's 3 museum ships with self guided tours: USS Yorktown (carrier), USS Laffey (destroyer) and USS Clamagore (cold war sub). The ships are open and restored, with exhibits and setups of how they actually looked in the day. There's also a ferry to Fort Sumter, and a Vietnam war exhibit that I didn't have time to see. Visit it before the damn sub rusts apart, it is a horrifying experience to tour.

If you're in Indianapolis, see the Indiana War Memorial Museum. It's not as impressive, but its the best we've got.

Attached: British_Mark_IV_Tadpole_tank.jpg (798x413, 187K)

The cavalry museum in Saumur, France is dedicated entirely to the military horse and its rider.

Yurop cause im a yuropoor.
WTS Koblens because all of the german prototype vehicles and small arms, and the 6 or 7 G11 prototypes up for display.

With regards to aesthetic it’s the NMM Soesterberg. The entire museum is practically a greenhouse with a non-translucent roof suspended by only a small central tower. With regards to their collections it’s a mix between british, merican and french stuff with the odd indigenous design. They’re running a decently sized soviet exhibit until the end of the year though. Pic related.

Guess which fuck forgot to attach a picture.

Attached: 03775521-37C7-4A53-B6AE-8FD63AD68F3B.jpg (1280x896, 228K)

Definitely agree on NAS Pensacola. That place is awesome. I went camping on the Yorktown when I was in Cub Scouts. Don’t remember a ton from it, but we got to sleep in the original bunk rooms, which was pretty neat.

Patriots point is awesome. USS North Carolina a few hours north is a great museum too

National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, OH is worth a mention. Never been, but it’s apparently one of the best aircraft museums in the world. They even have an XB-70.

Real crosses taken from dead nazis

Attached: 5.jpg (338x450, 71K)

That’s from one of the war museums in Moscow, right?

Bovington Tank Museum have Tiger I in running condition.
Also that place in Russia where they store Maus. I not sure you can visit it, because it military base or something.

Attached: a2d34c98-8a2c-4a40-869b-facb7de3d9e8.jpg (1024x662, 263K)

This. Place is fucking amazing. I didn't appreciate it as much at the time. Need to go back.

Attached: iwm-london-imperial-war-museum-london-iwm-0349a75dd6358228e0574a3cb70b0fe2.jpg (640x360, 40K)

Attached: 715478-1508240025.jpg (2000x1499, 567K)

The National Museum of the Airforce is pretty nice in Ohio. The Indianapolis War Memorial Museum was okay but nothing particularly special. There's also the tiny one underneath the memorial itself.

OP here wow didn't think that france had a cavalry museum out there thought it would be in Paris

Duxford is the best IWM site.
I'd say the two RAF Museums (Hendon and Cosford), Tank Museum at Bovington and Royal Armouries in Leeds have more cool stuff to look at than the IWM in London too.

National Museum of the Royal Navy in Portsmouth is also great but mainly because of HMS Victory

Doesn't the victory have an adjustable cradle

I haven't been to many military museums, but this one definitely is definitely awesome. I drove something like 18 hours to get there and it was great. They have planes from every era, even Bockscar, which dropped one of the nukes on Japan.

The Strategic Air Command museum is an honorable mention, I think. It's not very fancy, but they built the entrance of it around a freaking SR-71, so there's one just hanging over your head as soon as you walk in. There's a second level to the entrance so you can get a different perspective of it, too. Of course, there's even a holocaust exhibit even though SAC didn't even exist in WWII.

Sac is Nebraska right

Yes sir.

Mighty 8th AF museum in Savannah is cool. Not worth making a trip just to see it, but it’s on I-95 and worth stopping for if you’re in the area. They’ve been restoring a B-17 for a couple of years now.

Kalamazoo Air Museum in Michigan is also a very lowkey underrated one. Haven’t been there since I was a kid but my dad is a pilot and he would often fly me and my brother out there for the afternoon and I never recalled feeling like it it was a waste of time.

Duxford and The royal military museum in brussels are the best in europe in my opinion

100% agree here. Grew up in northern ky going to this museum, Valkyrie was my favorite plane before I knew anything about it, because I saw it there and was so impressed. After going to other aircraft museums around the country, nothing even compares. My grandfather actually flew one of the b17's they have on display, and delivered it to the museum. Any aviation enthusiast needs to visit at least once.

Can definitely second that one. I have family in Schoolcraft, and visit the Air Zoo anytime I’m up there.

>Also that place in Russia where they store Maus. I not sure you can visit it, because it military base or something.
That's Kubinka and it's:
1. Not exactly conveniently located.
2. Kinda messy and in mediocre to-bad state of maintenance.
3. Has suicidal conscripts for majority of general museum staff.
4. As was mentioned, arranged more like an active military base than a tourist trap, so no nearby cafes, hotels, convenient transport and other things meant to make white person's vacation pleasant.
4. 'UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. I'm serious. It's fucking huge.
5. Absolutely glorious in it's wealth and variety of awesome and unique stuff.

Completely blows Bovington out of the water as far as content goes, but sucks comfort-wise.

And yes, foreign tourists can totally visit it, you just need to email them with your passport data several days ahead of your visit.

Attached: 6287171021152237.jpg (1000x667, 153K)

Think that's from the GPW museum, yeah. There's also the central army museum, both of them are fantastic but kinda inaccessible to foreigners since there's no translations anywhere that I could see.

Flying Heritage and Combat Armor because its right next to my work and their Sherman keeps setting off my car alarm.

Attached: IMG_20190419_125536751.jpg (867x658, 131K)

Hah, I snuck in there with gf pretending to be Russian. Place is cool but toilets are literally a hole in the ground. They also had a tiny little range you could shoot blanks through a small selection of Russian arms for a couple bucks.

>2. Patriots Point in Charleston, South Carolina. This is really the best one in my opinion.

Are you rating it based on the collection of ships there or management? The Clamagore is destined to become a reef thanks to the poor management and the Laffey is barely watertight. Spend your money somewhere that it will be put to good use.

I haven't visited it yet, but I'm also in the camp that NAS Pensacola has the best aviation museum.

Have you been to Monino? Is it as sad as it looks in pictures?

National Museum of Nuclear Science and History is pretty cool if your in abq. They have lots of great stuff from Davy Crockett, genies, titans, migs, b52, 280mm atomic cannon. Worth the 25 bucks.
USS Missouri is good too but I wish I could have seen lower than the first 3 decks. I'd like to see the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum

Attached: 20180519_162207.jpg (4160x2080, 3.4M)

For Yurop :
- Saumur if you really really like tanks, rest of the city is a bit meh otherwise and not really worth the trip imo
- Invalides Museum in Paris has some good stuff ranging from medieval to WWII, with a temple dedicated to Charles de Gaulle in the basement.
- Warsaw Uprising Museum is very well furnished, with someone printing AK tracts on an old-timey press that you can take away, a small projection room with archive footage, some modern Polish stuff, and a fucking full-sized B-24 hanging from the ceiling.
- Aviation Museum in Krakow is my personal favorite, a lot of slavshit, especially their "MiG alley" which ranges from -15s to -29s, but also a bunch of Western designs, including a Viggen, Thud, Jaguar, some WWI planes, helos, experimental planes, etc. My personal favorite.
- Aviation Museum in Kiev : this time slavshit and slavshit only, including some rare Yaks and Berievs, a MiG-25, and a fuckton of Tu-22s

I find it actually painful that this thread has been going this long and not one of the world great military museums has been mentioned

1)Royal Armoury Leeds/Imperial war museum
Vast collection of arms from every corner of the globe
2)musee des invalids Paris
Priceless and rare armaments and armour in vast quantity. Also Napoleons tomb
3) The Imperial Armoury - Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna

Why these? Well we are talking about museums and these represents the repositories of weapons for the three dominant military powers in Europe and the loot of empire from all over Europe and the world. There is nothing like them in the USA. The only thing that even comes closes is the arms and armour of the metropolitan museum in ny.

Honourable mention. The grandmasters palace in Valetta. I like that period of history though.

Fuck, I realized I typed personal favorite twice.
But I really really like this one.

YOu failed to mention any one of the great European military museums although Saumur is worth a visit. I mean how can you be into weapons and have never heard of the Imperial War museum or the musee des invalids or theKunsthistorisches Museum? How do you even do into that?

I did mention the Invalides. I only listed those I visited personally.

I would also include the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam, the Wallace collection, the V&A Museum and Stibbert Museum and te national museum in Prage , the Leipzig collection, the tower and winsor collections etc as honourable mentions..

Great thread guys. I'm taking notes.

>I only listed those I visited personally.

OK. Go to the musee des invalids its excellent

Over 360 aircraft. Going here before the Air & Space Smithsonian was a big mistake.

khm.at/en/visit/collections/imperial-armoury/

The Viennese collection numbers among the best of its kind in the world. Furthermore, it is the best-documented collection of court arms and armour in the western world, since the exhibits were generally created or acquired in connection with important political occasions: on the occasion of military campaigns, Imperial Diets, ceremonies of homage, coronations, engagements, marriages and baptisms. No family of rulers was connected by marriage with so many European countries as were the Habsburgs. For this reason, nearly all western European princes from the 15th to the early 20th centuries are represented with armour and ornamental weapons.

The suits of armour are custom creations made by the most famous armourers: the Armour for a Horseman by Tommaso Missaglia, the Cuirassier Armour by Lorenz Helmschmid for Emperor Maximilian I, the Boy's Folded Skirt Armour by Konrad Seusenhofer for the future Emperor Charles V, as well as the Half-Armour alla Romana by Filippo Negroli and many others. The often magnificent etchings were quite frequently based on designs by such famous artists as Dürer and Holbein.

Attached: csm_Slider_HJRK_IV_3acdc6a454.jpg (940x366, 106K)

I remember going to a museum in belgium as a kid, dont remember name tho. Not saying its the best but i enjoyed it and plan on going back some other day

royalarmouries.org/venue/royal-armouries-museum/

70,000 examples of arms, armour, and artillery dating from antiquity to the present day.

Royal armours of the Tudor and Stuart kings
Arms and armour from the English Civil War
Littlecote House armoury
British and other countries’ military weapons from the Board of Ordnance and Pattern Room collections
Hunting and sporting weapons
Non-European arms and armour

>florescent lighting in a museum
Why is this allowed?

musee-armee.fr/en/english-version.html

Frances national museum of the army and where Napoleons tomb is

In Russia....

hermitagemuseum.org

It's Kubinka, be glad that they have any lights at all.

The SAC museum is breddy gud.
Lots of cold war stuff, even some intact titan II controls.

This problem goes beyond Kubinka, unfortunately. You'd think museums would pay attention to their lighting to make the exhibits look the best, but it seems not everyone got the memo.

The War Memorial of Korea over in Yongsan is bretty gud. Wish I had photos of it on this phone

The smithsonians alright i prefer their natural history museum but the WW1 recreated trench was pretty cool

Is that a recent addition I don't remember a trench

The air museum in Chino, CA. It's got a lot of one-of-a-kind pieces on top of an already impressive collection of less-common aircraft. Though the major downside is that Chino, CA was probably one of the worst cities I've ever stepped foot in.

Attached: unrestored.jpg (800x534, 228K)

Why does California have to have good war museums it's such a pain

why did the PNW get infested by leftists after the 80s? We live in the cancerverse.

Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach, VA is pretty great. One of the largest private collections of privately owned WWI & WWII birds that still fly. They put on shows and stuff, been a few times. Pretty neat.

In the same area is the Virginia Air and Space Museum which I think is better than the Smithsonian.

Attached: o5h8mitd1jb01.jpg (4032x3024, 1.1M)

Smithsonian air and space is nice, loads of artifacts from different periods and have a lot of rare examples too. The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola is also fantastic, they have possibly the best collection of modern aircraft.

Any German military museums I know about the one in Dresden any other lesser known ones?

museostibbert.it/en/page/collections

European Armoury
The European Armoury was created during forty years of collecting, from about 1860 to the beginning of 1900s. It includes many armours, swords, spears, crossbows, rifles and guns, the greatest part from sixteenth to eighteenth centuries. There are also some archaeological and fourteenth-century specimens, and some nineteenth-century reproductions.

The armours are mainly sixteenth century from the most important Italian, German and French production areas. There are arms and armours for warfare and others for tournament.
Islamic Armoury
Two rooms in the museum are dedicated to Islamic arms and armours from the Middle East, with examples from Turkey, Persia and Moghul India.

A large part of the Ottoman arms were bought by Frederick towards the end of the nineteenth century when the armoury of S. Irene in Istanbul was dismantled and many pieces were available on the market.
Japanese Armoury
The three rooms which today house the Japanese collection were built for European medieval items, but in the late 1870's Frederick started taking interest in Far Eastern arms and armours. When Japan opened its ports to foreigners, many items started their journey to the West. Frederick Stibbert was a frequent visito to the Universal Expositions in which Japan exhibited its best productions. The Stibbert Japanese collection was one of the earliest to be formed.

The collection includes 95 suits of armours, 200 helmets, 285 swords and spears, 880 sword guards and many metal fittings. Almost all items date from the Momoyama and Edo periods (1570-1868) with few examples of earlier productions.

It was there like 3 years ago its not an actual trench but more a mock trench network made out of sandbags.