Why not bug out at sea in a SHTF situation?

Why not bug out at sea in a SHTF situation?
>bring some friends to help defend the ship
>store supplies and weapons in the hold
>get easy access to fish
>use sails to save on fuel
>don't piss off the mighty neptune
Can't be that bad, right?

Attached: trip2003_0817AO.jpg (600x450, 45K)

How would Jow Forums battle the sea? Seems like a worthy enough enemy.

Attached: Theodore's White Fleet.jpg (485x768, 102K)

Better defense and more mobility.
But you trade it for maintenance and constantly having to go ashore.

Which i imagine becomes very dangerous.

You ever owned a boat? Especially a saltwater craft? The amount of maintenance they require makes it incredibly unreasonable to think of using for extended periods of time.

Without the weather reports and such, you’re flying blind. Even the biggest radar you could cram on a recreational sailboat will only push out so far.

Plus for a boat large enough for a few friends to live on, and the equipment you’d need to desalination enough water to survive, you’re looking at hundreds of thousands of dollars unless you’re buying some wreck of a hull from the 70’s.

I own a 30’ saltwater cat, and I wouldn’t consider bugging out for anything over a week on it.

storms and lack of fresh water are pretty spoopy

ask king Canute

Nearly every problem you can encounter on land becomes magnified 100x in severity by the simple virtue of being on a boat.

Storms. The Atlantic is a scary fucking place. It was the British ocean, not the British people, that slaughtered the Spanish Armada.

>Why not bug out at sea in a SHTF situation?
- No boat
- Can't justify cost of a boat as a TEOTWAWKI preparation plan
- Don't live near coast
- Can't realistically expect to travel to coast in emergency
- Can't expect to transport large amounts of supplies to hypothetical boat in an emergency.
- Boat lacks space & resources to become self-sustaining, so you're reliant on consumables (though the boat could help you relocate to a more-sustainable location).
- Anyone on the US East coast is subject to Hurricanes
- Anyone on the US West coast is subject to tsunamis (albeit rare)
- Boat are fragile, a few bullet holes below the water line is a major, major problem.

I like the idea of boats for bugging out, but they've got some serious fucking issues.

that

>>bring some friends to help defend the ship
You will need them, better be at least 100 feet long
>>store supplies and weapons in the hold
RUST NEVER SLEEPS
>>get easy access to fish
If you can spearfish and water is warm enough to swim in
>>use sails to save on fuel
You would only have a small take of fuel anyway. The fastest sailing boat only goes about 12 knots..
>>don't piss off the mighty neptune
or the aircraft looking to sink you
>Can't be that bad, right?

Attached: 1547458053166.png (983x849, 581K)

>sea
No that's stupid. But living on the great lakes and it's waterways is not

You've never even seen water, have you?

Me and my fiance are planning to get a survival sailboat if we end up moving coastal. My only condition was that we'd have an actual cannon on board incase we need to raid land or get attacked by another boat.

Pussy. I've survived two weeks out at sea with nothing but a pool noodle and a Kraft Single piece of "cheese."

Someone needs to throw in the fucking Jow Forumsarrier greentext

> SHTF
> Hurricanes
> Tsunamis
> Shark infested water spouts

A boat is only part of a functional plan. Boats need maintenance and ocean water rusts damn near everything. I personally would grab a boat big enough to move myself and any friends I have to an island as I believe that would be the best option for a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

The pros:
>You can grow food easily
>It doesn't sink unless you piss off a patheon of ancient gods
>Still have access to fish
>Still somewhat easy to defend
The cons
>Doesn't really move
>Storms can fuck you up
>You become isolated
>Still near the ocean and it's rust

>The fastest sailing boat only goes about 12 knots..
Man, 18th century tubs did that and more.

If by "bug out at sea" you meant "buy a couple of zodiacs and some AKs and then become a dread pirate" you might have had a good idea.

Is that a direct quote from the zombie survival guide?

>living on the great lakes
Something something Edmund Fitzgerald.

I live in a landlocked state and don't have a boat. Nor do I know how to use a boat or navigate in open water. It does sound fun though, I'll say that.

>get easy access to fish
t. neverfished
you're gonna die of thirst before any of that though

>100ft rogue wave wipes out the boat and everyone onboard
Nothing personnel, kid

LAKE SUPERIOR NEVER GIVES UP HER DEAD

18th century sailing ships were actually very, very efficient in the circumstances they were designed for (blue water sailing with the prevailing winds). Modern sailing ships can squeeze more from less wind and at broader angles to the wind, but as far as sheer speed goes we haven't improved all that much.

Not unless you're dinking around in some protected coastline. Even then, it's very dangerous purely from weather to stay out even if you've got a protected area to anchor at. Maybe if you could pull some guerrilla shit and get onshore/get out with supplies and stay riverboating it, it might work.

>ywn patrol eastern NC in your PBR with bros

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 116K)

Shoot it with .45ACP

Weak-ass bitch. I've survived a month out at sea with nothing but toenail clippings and desalinated ball sweat

>How would Jow Forums battle the sea? Seems like a worthy enough enemy.
By declaring war on the moon first

They don't require that much maintanance. More than a car, sure, but it's nothing crazy. Most of it is small stuff that you can stock up on. In a shtf situation you'll use the engine while you have it and after that you'll just use oars or stakes.

30' sailingboat and you won't do over a week? That's pussy tier senpai. I litterally know 4 people (one couple) that has sailed around the world in smaller boats.

Not much more. A very fast Royal Navy packet might make 14 knots. A well built clipper with a prime crew and a good captain could do 16. That's about the limit of what you can manage with a sail.
Yes I know souped up racing rigs like the Vestas Sailrocket 2 can make 59 knots, but realistically speaking, you're not going to be on something like that.

Calling the Jow Forums merchant marine contingent. (there’s a lot of us)
This idea is really dumb unless you have 10 million to spend on a modern ocean going boat 100’+ with 10,000 gallons of fresh water storage and a huge water maker, and 100,000 gallons of fuel and a cruising range of 3,000+ miles.

But yeah if the bombs drop while I’m at sea I’ll be totally fine for a long time, there’s just no way anyone who isn’t very wealthy could afford to outfit such a craft.

>10 million to spend
Bruh just get two Jow Forumsommandos assigned to the ship and hijack that shit like nigga how hard can it be

Yeee
This thread is full of a lot of not knowing what they're talking about kinda folks.

Attached: Screenshot_20180819-170537_Gallery.jpg (1080x1723, 1.27M)

Not a sail, a twin outboard and they’re good Suzuki 300s. 50gal freshwater tank, even. I’ve done six days in the Bahamas on a tank but that was pushing my fuel hard and burning through water to keep hydrated.

Boats are an incredible amount of maintenance. This year alone I had to do a drive hydraulic, an autopilot hydraulic, bow lights required whole new wiring (port and star, and I’d just done this two maybe 3 years prior), a new gel coat and an entire new horn assembly. Saltwater is HELL on boats. I wouldn’t want to have to trust my life to hoping I have enough spare parts. God forbid a motor powerhead goes because good luck doing that with whatever you have on hand. This is a 2011 boat, mind you, not a 1979 hulk.

The only people thinking a saltwater boat would be viable for long term (7 days+) have never owned or worked on one before. Let alone have the means to afford something even remotely capable.

Don't you have a wife you need to beat to death in a drunk rage?

Attached: IMG_20190424_145602.jpg (3165x4096, 655K)

>get easy access to fish
Can't argue there.

Attached: DSCF8390.jpg (2048x1536, 759K)

THE LEGEND LIVES ON
FROM THE CHIPPEWA ON DOWN
TO THE BIG LAKE THEY CALL GITCHIGUMEE

Even the smallest seaworthy ship is a black hole that eats your money.
There are no such things are quality boats. All boats suck. Some cars suck. Some cars need money put into them all the time. Some cars don't need any work done for years on end and refuse to die. Boats don't work like that. ALL Boats are in a perpetual state of almost dying and need constant repair. The only way a person can enjoy even the smallest of ships is so have just staggering amounts of passive disposable income.
I have talked to so many boat owners about it. It's just not doable unless you're already set for life.

Attached: 1555612151810m.jpg (831x1024, 108K)

>Can't be that bad, right?

Not that bad until someone with a faster boat and more guns runs you down and has their way with your crews assholes before using your dead ass bodies for bait.

You have some dinky sailboat and want to check out some town on the water.. do you think you stand a fucking chance against one guy with a rifle in a four-story building? How about if you're in a sailboat and the unfriendly residents have access to a couple of fueled powerboats?

Unless you're in command of a Navy ship when SHTF and the majority of the crew agree with your plan I guarantee you don't have a big or fast enough ship to make the amount of resources you'd need to take on worth it. Taking a small ship with a couple dozen to 100+ people on it, all organized together would be a good way to stake out safe territory by taking over a small town but other than that (ie: 20' sailboat) you're just way too vulnerable.

You've clearly never enjoyed a proper commercial vessel then. My family owns several commercial crab boats, the things are built like tanks. They do require maintenance, but they're built much better than typical consumer grade vehicles. Not many frills though.

Don’t lie. Those vessels require constant preventative maintenance on the engines and equipment, and the hull requires constant rust control. It’s expensive af.
I have crewed vessels from construction and launch, and after two years of continuous operations they need new cylinder heads and turbos, and the outside needs paint. Not to mention 230 gallons of oil per main, every 1000 hours of operation.
Now you CAN defer this stuff, especially in SHTF, but keeping a large boat in ready conditions for the day is expensive.
If your family really does own a crabber fleet you’re burning through a shit ton of money every year to keep everything working for crab season.

>hull requires constant rust control
we cast our own zinc to cut costs here

>you’re burning through a shit ton of money every year to keep everything working for crab season.
yes

I've thought about SHTF survival at sea, it would require a submarine or some kind of sub-boat.
Big boat is a big target and can get wrecked by storms.
But it's better in how simple it is and how less of a technical level the crew has to have if you have a crew.

But the submarine just has to go deep enough to ignore whatever is going on at the surface, can ignore the majority of threats that won't be aware of you.

"Sub-boat" would be something that can't flip and could submerge/resurface with you inside safely.
Would have some kind of engine or a manual peddle or sail fallback option.
I thought about this after having reoccurring dreams of falling in the middle of the ocean, with infinite horizon in all directions and endless blue depth below me, usually expecting a oceanic white tip to pop out at any moment.

Sailnigger reporting in. Currently building a boat for a customer specifically for this purpose.
Carbon fiber, full keel, 40-foot range. Watermaker, dive compressor, 2x VHFs, 2x SSB radios, pretty much 2x everything electronic.
I'd feel pretty safe on it.

Just do what Illinois had to out of our naval base. Basically fresh water deep lake and protect it from California. We teamed up with Canada and surrounding states to make the most advanced submarine to protect it. Underwater in the winter but surfaces and docks in the summer. The only reason we still have the Great Lakes in the US.

Attached: DSV.jpg (1600x1096, 137K)

Just become a pirate and use a wood boat, best way to do it