Why is it that m40 laser outserts are so hard to come by? I can’t find any for sale online after extensive searching...

Why is it that m40 laser outserts are so hard to come by? I can’t find any for sale online after extensive searching, but I can easily find m17 and m50 laser outserts. What’s the deal?

Attached: file.png (184x250, 67K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BFhl0O46eQM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Make them yourself. Like I did.

How?

Did you just buy clear outserts and paste green gels over it?

>tfw you have two sets
Feels good man

figure it out lmao xd

How'd you manage to do that? And would you ever consider selling them?

Yes. I find it pretty unlikely that aliens are going to shoot lasers at my eyes so they work just fine for my HECU cosplay.

Doubt they'd be effective, unless you have some education in chemistry/optics
Light filtering is a very tight science, you can't just match colors and call it good.

Kek glad you're mind went to that as well. I'm buying one for extended urbex but figured that since I have the mask I might as well get an extra use out of it

Oh, it's for LARP, ignore Have fun Cpl. Shepard~

>How'd you manage to do that?
Both the M40s I bought had them.
I don't think so; I wouldn't even know what they'd be worth.

Yeah, I tried pretty hard a while back to find the real outserts, but the only place I could find them was ebay for hundreds of dollars, so I just made lookalikes.

Any idea what they're used for normally? I can't think of a combat situation where fucking lasers would pose a threat

how much did the helmet + outserts set you back money wise

The first one was $100
The second one was $20
The second one even came with the voice amplifier.

Where the fuck did you score a m40 with laser outserts and a voice amplifier for 20 fucking dollars

The local market.
The strange thing was that he had some Slavshit right next to it for $25 without any accessories.

You don't know how lucky you are

Those are neutral outserts which are easy to find

Laser outserts are extremely limited production, and are sort of a niche purpose to fulfil (pic related is actually the only photo I know of with M40 Laser Outserts in use). They have to be issued to specific people and therefore are not widely available. I see them pop up every so often in facebook gas mask sales groups demanding the $50-$70 range for their rarity, but I don't see them anywhere else.They don't get surplussed often due to their seemingly insignificant market.

Attached: M40-M42 Laser Lens Outserts in Use.jpg (710x548, 44K)

Also, if you wanna talk about rare laser outserts, MSA made a set for the MCU-2/P (and by association, the Millennium as well), but they're government-contract only and they aren't even featured on their website, just in old sales brochure .pdf's. But MSA did confirm they make them, just for the government only.

Attached: MCU Laser Outsert.gif (400x400, 73K)

What are they even used for, when would you encounter plentiful enough lasers that they pose a chronic problem in combat?

The lasers we use on crew weapons will blind you

What kind of crew weapons specifically?

I have some. No one has ever asked for them

How much would they go for?

Cheap. $5 plus shipping

Got any pics with timestamps?

I'll have to go dig them out of my surplus storage.

Shoot me an email user

On crew served weapons like the M2 they use basically a big fuck off laser pointer like they have on cat toys, but in the range of about 1 watt rather than 5 milliwatts. IZLIDs are a good example.

Attached: file.png (800x450, 547K)

>Doubt they'd be effective, unless you have some education in chemistry/optics
Just buy ready made lab tested, approved and rated lenses and make them fit?

Attached: 1_-_.png (382x417, 325K)

>Buys more shitty gear then ammo.
Sad!

Attached: 1551807189419.png (452x391, 122K)

happens all the time with domestic surp, price varies wildly offline.

>implying I'm not sitting on 20k rounds of ammo

How long have these been in use for, not just for the M40?

phased plasma rifle in the 20 watt range

Many such cases!

RONGG

Lasers are pretty dangerous on the eyes, and considering modern militaries often have pretty serious IR or colored lasers on their rifles. Just having an enemy flag you with a rifle or a range finder could mean temporary or permanent eye damage. 5mW+ laser pointers were banned in my country because people would shine them at aircraft which temporarily blinded pilots, pic related is what it looks like.

Attached: faa-photo-laser3-highest-res-1936x1296.jpg (1100x618, 73K)

Hey would I also be able to buy a pair?

Possibly. Shoot me an email

what kinda fucking laser is that? NO FUCKING WAY that's 5MW.

How many do you have? I'm thinking about buying bulk if possible

It's probably 25mw, the glass around aircraft cockpits scatters the light everywhere lighting the whole thing up bright and reflecting off of the instrument glass, green laser pointers are easily the worst for it.
T. Pilot

5mW looks pretty bright
youtube.com/watch?v=BFhl0O46eQM
>NO FUCKING WAY that's 5MW.
Yeah, you're fucking right, 5MW is 5 megawatts

Attached: pepe_future_is_very_bright_indeed_animooted.gif (695x392, 2.24M)

I've been thinking about getting an m40, is it worth it? Are they quality among their price range?

Shot you an email

Yeah if you don't want to invest in an M50(you don't)

Not that widely issued and Half Life has created an interest in finding them.

Yeah. A good one can be found for around $50 and are really comfy and have a great field of view despite the separate eye pieces. The drinking tube is positioned well to be usable and the straps hold it on well. The side mount filter makes the weight distribution weird and you still can't get a cheek weld, but its a pretty good mask.

What's a cheek weld? Also any sellers you'd suggest?

Cheek weld is how your face sits on the stock of a rifle. The mask, all masks really, are too bulky to put your face on the stock right to see your sights or at least to do so comfortably.
I got my mask through a seller on eBay that ended up with it after he left the military. It still had Iraq dust in it. I got it for $40 but that isn't typical. They are common to find on eBay and if you pace things out and keep monitoring it, you can find a good deal in about a month or earlier if you win an auction. Its probably the most reliable source for mask because no one really stocks them other than your usual GP-5.

I almost won one last night, unfortunately it didn't pan out

Good luck with it, mate. reckon it'll turn out well in time. All my mask purchases have panned out in the end. But its got an odd bit of demand to it. You kind of have to be opportunistic about it.

That's what I figured, I may have found a great craigslist deal though. We'll see how that turns out

Aye, hope it pans out for you. Happy to help. If you've got any other questions for this sort of thing, I've come to know a thing or two.

This. They probably sell the material in bulk on AliBaba.

Are you sure they are THAT rare?
I never actually saw them when I was in the service, but the laser Outserts also function as ballistic outserts.

It's not just crew serves (they have big lasers because they A: bring smaller supporting fires a target and B: Double duty as target designation for larger assets.

Hellfires, LGB's. Big time laser target designators, aircraft, tanks, etc use powerful lasers.

fooking laser sights

M40s look so fucking good, I just wish they weren't $400.

I bought mine off eBay for like $60 with two filters, a manual, carry bag, and some other shit I can't remember. Just wait for a used one to pop up that's not thrashed.

I think i'm gonna be able to nab one for $40 plus shipping but all it has is the mask and a filter

You're probably thinking of the M50

I got a good condition m40 with bag, tinted outserts, and decon kit for $50 at a surplus store in rockville md, right next to it was Israeli gas masks for like 40 bucks and old knock off m17s for $50 or more. I'm guessing some clerk marked it $50 instead of $150. Just bought a new avon 40mm filter for it.

I've definitely got some laser ppe glasses lying around somewhere, the lenses are probably big enough to be fit to a gas mask but the problem is they are bright orange.

I know I'm late but any chance the first user didn't buy your stock of them?

I actually managed to win one for $60 overall, only comes with the mask and a filter though. Still great deal in my opinion

I was looking to buy last night and he said he had two pairs of them so unless someone bought his second pair you probably have a chance

SQUAD. WE'VE. GOT. HOSTILES!

Attached: HECU_shephard_model.jpg (372x742, 106K)

WE'RE. GONNA. KICK. YOUR. ASS.

FIRE IN. THE. HOLE.

GOT. A. SCIENTIST. HERE.

WE GOT A SCIENTIST HERE WITH A BUNCHA PICTURES OF GIRLS WITH DICKS!

SQUAD. GET. FREEMAN!

NO STAHP YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!

They are pretty easy to make your own.

I mean if you just pasted green film over clear outserts sure, but I'd rather have the real deal.

Why are they specifically on gas masks and not goggles?

I was wondering that too, how often do you have to use gas masks?

Maybe not as rare now, but believe me when I say M40 Laser Outserts used to be rare as shit back in the early 2000's. Practically unheard of.

You can get complete M40A1 Kits for the $50-$70. I've even seen them as low as $40 if you're thrify about it.

Even M50's have dropped in price significantly these days. Been seeing 'em around the $120 mark or less.

If they're orange, they're blueblocker lenses, not laser protective.

except they do make laser lenses for goggles, even the typical sun, dust, and wind goggles had laser lenses.

Attached: leonardwood.png (993x686, 703K)

what are these even for?

Based HECU posters.

Why don't you just get a 3m full face mask and wear laser goggles behind the lens.
Taking them on/off would be easier too when lighting conditions change.