Is there a way to tell who the maker of this Luger is just by looking at the picture...

Is there a way to tell who the maker of this Luger is just by looking at the picture? Local gun store has it for $700 in consignment.

Attached: 21252.jpg (3112x2198, 1.27M)

Not from that picture, but honestly I'd pay $700 for any non shitty looking luger no matter who made it.

Probably a ww2 war time Luger.

Any luger under 1000$ is a great deal these days

OP here. I bet it was issued to an officer and has the blood of 100 kikes, right?

check for marks like pic related

Attached: mauser proof mark.jpg (740x688, 93K)

If the photo is the pistol in question - it was made by Mauser in 1941 or 1942.

That is the pistol in question. How can you tell who made it and when?

The rear of the frame ears have the reinforcement 'hump' that was added by Mauser in 1937.

The 'P.08' stamp on the frame was only used by Mauser and only in 1941-1942.

The black grips were also a 1941-42 Mauser feature but those are easily swapped so they are not indicative without other corroborating features. The chamber should be marked '41' or '42' and the center toggle marked 'byf' if those grips are original to it.

Quick addendum - I almost forgot there was a bit of overlap between the 41/42 code and the 41/byf code so you will sometimes see 41/42's with the black plastic grips as well.

Attached: 21581928_2.jpg (620x1200, 60K)

Gotcha. Knowing that, would you think $700 is a fair price?

If the serials match, if the codes on the toggle and chamber are correct for a 1941-42 Mauser and it hasn't been reblued - that is an excellent price. A fair price for such a pistol would be around $1500.

If the numbers do not match (there are several parts you cannot check without disassembly) or it has been reblued the value drops considerably. A reblued, mismatched Luger would be fair around $600-800 these days. Lugers with mismatched parts are often tricky to get running correctly as several of the parts required hand fitting during initial assembly which is rarely done when parts were replaced postwar (as in the case of Russian captures).

Forgotten Weapons has an entire series on lugers, also has a 2ish hour video just on different markings on guns.

Thanks, anons. I will give them a call and look into it. I've wanted a Luger for a long time but barely know the basics.

They made Lugers after the war in Germany in masses, nothing special.

>Luger
>Only $700

Buy it user. This is a price range where "taking a risk" is justified.

Hijacking this thread. Any idea why this 1916 DWM Luger doesn't have the Imperial Eagle proof mark? I was tempted to buy it but this threw me off.

Attached: 1547922387414.jpg (1228x1062, 453K)

bump, anybody?

It appears the military firing proof eagle was once there as the vague outline of the head and wings is apparent. That pistol has been refinished and as evidenced by remaining pitting on the barrel extension - it has been buffed which likely obliterated the proof stamp.

If you shoot yourself with it it'll be 101

Thanks for the info. So what might it be worth? Someone is asking $1400, which I thought was a bit steep

Attached: 1528910871133.jpg (3186x2016, 2.59M)

If the serial numbered parts match (including the trigger, sear bar, safety lever, striker and holdopen lever which require disassembly to check) even with the amateur refinish a more realistic price would be around $900 today. If the parts are mismatched as well, that would be closer to $700. Granted the market has been all over the place with Lugers lately and you’re unlikely to get one in any condition for less than $1000. He may well find someone willing to overpay that much for a pitted, reblued Luger.

Nice try op I'm already at Turners. Better luck next time

OP BTFO?