Jow Forums what is your experience with drum magazines...

Jow Forums what is your experience with drum magazines? Do they jam a shit ton or is it worth buying them for the fun factor. Last time a checked a magpul drum was 130$.

Attached: Double_drum_magazine_filled.svg.png (440x200, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gunmagwarehouse.com/kci-glock-9mm-50-round-drum-magazine.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They're too expensive, too heavy, and take too long to load to be fun.

Magpul D60 is decently reliable. The beta mags and KCI mags are pure trash and if you manage to go 10 rounds you're doing well.

Bulky and not too many pouches that fit them well. And expensive compared to buying two or three standard box magazines and having the same amount of rounds for less. They look cool though, so there's that.

>too expensive
$60, so not really.
>too heavy
less than 3 pounds loaded, not really -- especially for mag-in-grip guns where it's right under your hand.
>take too long to load
with the built-in speedloader, it's faster than loading a box of ammo into regular mags.
>to be fun
If they weighed twice as much and took twice as long to load, they'd still be worth it. You can't understand how fun they are until you've actually fooled around with one on a PCC.

Attached: kci 50-round 9mm.jpg (1300x1300, 30K)

>KCI mags
Given what you're comparing it to, I assume you're talking about their rifle-caliber drums. I have no experience with those, but I have one of their 9mm glock drums and it runs great.

I need to get me a drum for my ruger PC carbine. Are the KCI ones good or should I be looking at the RWB ones like pic related?

Attached: iv1aSbp.png (347x454, 75K)

>PCC
/raises hand

How is the recoil on the Ruger carbine? We've heard from people bitching that their pistol caliber AR conversions actually have more of a recoil impulse than a regular AR.

In terms of pure cost-effectiveness, what's the point in buying one when a plain-Jane AR costs half again less and the magazines are hella expensive, thereby cancelling out the nickel-per-shot savings on ammo? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have a modern semi auto Suomi too, but I can't quite justify it to myself. Why did *you* buy it?

Attached: Sort_of_want.jpg (237x344, 56K)

I have a KCI one and it does work great in a Polymer80 glockalike, either as a pistol or with the MechTech upper. But I have no experience with the RWB mag, nor with the KCI mag in a Ruger PC.

People buy them because they want a submachine gun but can't afford one, so a PCC is "almost as good."

>$60
Literally where. They are at minimum like $110.

As long as the drum itself isn't too shitty I'm sure it would be fine. I got a couple of those super cheap 30 round glock mags. As long as the mag itself doesn't fuck up the gun doesn't seem to have any problems with the glock pattern stuff. Thanks.

Got one for my 10/22 from a buddy.
It works fine, occasionally jams, but that is normal with non ruger mags in my experience

5 seconds on google. They were super expensive for a bit there because of the california high capacity mag lift but they are coming back down pretty quick.

Anyone who bitches about the recoil on a pcc is a pussy, so it's not surprising to me that you're hearing it from a ARfags.

The new Ruger PC9 is a fun gun. My wife doesn't even like shooting that much, but she loves it, more so than ARs. PCCs are just for fun.

And to be fair to the ARfags, the recoil impulse on an AR pcc is a bit more noticeable than on a regular AR because again, there is no gas system. I'm not sure that it's a heavier recoil, it just feels different.

Sweet. I thought they were still expensive too. Thanks!

Attached: HxirCSs.png (1555x361, 51K)

Silly bitch PCC owner here.

If you want cheap mags you can just use glock mags and they are dirt cheap anywhere. The actual ruger mags are pretty expensive but you have options.

Recoil-wise, it's a super soft shooting gun. I guess recoil feels a bit 'long' but it's got this super chunky and heavy bolt. So, long recoil but it's still soft.

Attached: 1555529197167.jpg (1008x756, 178K)

You can shoot PCCs on pistol ranges at steel targets. That's the main appeal.

Oh, and as to how the recoil compares to an AR PCC, I can't really comment much. It's been years since I've shot one. Recoil with the ruger one is such a non-issue anyway I just haven't put much thought into it. It's a pistol caliber carbine. It's basically gentle puppy farts anyway. Unless you're COMPETITION SHOOTING PRACTICING CLEARING ROOMS WITH 15 BAD GUYS WITH A 1500 DOLLAR DECKED OUT PCC then I doubt you'd care too much about the recoil. Plink steel. Have fun. It's a 9mm that can drive tacks about as well as a 9mm round would be capable of.

>Unless you're COMPETITION SHOOTING PRACTICING CLEARING ROOMS WITH 15 BAD GUYS WITH A 1500 DOLLAR DECKED OUT PCC
Nothing else involving guns is even remotely fun.

Well there you go. If that's your thing that's fine but I don't think you are the target group of people the ruger PCC is aiming for.

The only reason AR9s tend to be harsh is the preexisting constraints on bolt length and diameter. Ruger doesn't have those constraints, so it certainly ought to be nicer to shoot; can't speak from experience because I don't have a Ruger.

I do have a MechTech, and its recoil is a gentle back-and-forth thump-thud; it's not nothing, but it's noticeably less than a 5.56 AR. Partly because it has a much more massive bolt than you can fit in an AR, partly because it has a big rubber block to buffer the impact at the end of travel.

>cost-effectiveness
I bought it for fun, and consider the fun I'm getting out of it worth the price.
>a plain-Jane AR costs half again less
I bought the CCU for $400-something, and put it on a spare polymer80 frame from my unnecessarily cautious "buy two in case you scrap one" approach to that project. So similar cost to buying a new Ruger PC, maybe a bit less.
At that time, I wouldn't have forked over $600 (i.e. including a pistol frame, supposing I didn't have one) for the MechTech, but now that I have shot it and know how much fun it is, I absolutely would.

I also built a 7" 5.56 AR pistol just for fun around the same time, and that was around $600 too. I know you can watch PSA sales and get a barebones AR for

What are you guys even talking about...

Wtf is this a PCC thread?

If you aren't shooting xtreme penetrators through peoples houses out of your Ruger 9mm carbeen you aren't doing it right.

I'm shooting xtreme penetrators through your mom

Thanks for the informed answer.

What's the cheapest non-crappy option for a 9mm carbine, in your judgement?

with my penis

The Ruger

Kinda worse compared to extended magazines. Extendos don't require specialized pouches and you can carry more.

Attached: 40 Round Steel Mag.jpg (880x660, 30K)

I have a D60, it's alright, but picky on ammo, works really well with some stuff and jams with others

As far as AR-15 drums:
I've never had an issue with my Magpul D60s.
Beta mag has a massive learning curve; it basically requires dry lube (graphite) or it tends to bind.
My Surefire 60 works fine but has no positive over the D60, my Surefire 100 rounder is probably my least consistent mag, its basically a coin toss over whether it works or not.

These are all running on a full auto gun, the size, shape, and relatively high failure rate in comparison to a proper 30 round mag means I never run them in a semi auto and I'd never use an AR-15 drum mag for anything other than giggles.

Otherwise the only drum I've had much experience with are the Suomi KP-31 drums. I've put some thousands of rounds through 6 drums and have never had a malfunction. Need to snag another few of those since the price is going up constantly.

Honestly don't have enough experience to have an informed opinion on that broad a topic, sorry. There's several attractive options just in the last couple years or so. And it also depends what you want -- e.g. part of why I went with the MechTech is because I'm particularly keen on mag-in-grip designs, so while the Ruger looks interesting in the abstract, it's simply not for me. Whereas other people go ape for replicating the AR manual of arms, with the possible exception of charging handle location, or simply don't care about that aspect.

Does anyone have any experience with the drum mag for the MP5K/MP5 from hkparts.net? Seriously considering getting it but the dude at my LGS tells me that drum mags jam a lot

Belt fed > drum

I have a KCI beta clone I needed to open up and let one coil off of each spring, otherwise it would push out rounds randomly. Now works reliably, though.

Not a fan of having the bolt close on an empty mag, though. Instead of some kind of tab at the end, it has a cartridge-shaped bearing with a taper on the back - the bolt just rides right over it (as intended, still dumb though).

Only drum I have is a worst Korea AK drum. Got it for 20 bucks because the last guy couldn't get it to work.
>open it
>clean out the oil and storage grease
>lube the spindle
>look up how to load it
It's run fine every time I use it, so I'm thinking of getting another.

The shooter’s Beta mag literally saved lives in the movie theater shooting. The floor was littered with live ammo from him clearing the gun.